Raiders vs. Last Crusade

Which is the better film? Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

Raiders90

This is kinda hard for me, for what LC lacks in kinetic action, it makes up for in heart. Where Raiders has dirt, LC has depth. Where Raiders had Marion, LC has Henry, Sr.

Ironclaw

I know Raiders is going to win this hands-down, but Last Crusade always appealed to me more. Raiders is an action-adventure movie, whereas Crusade feels more like just an adventure movie. It's not as fast-paced as the original movie, allowing it to be a little more cerebral. Even Spielberg said himself he wanted the score designed to accommodate a less action-oriented film.

The more I think about it, Crusade all in all feels like a more rewarding film. Not that Indy getting the girl at the end of Raiders is anything to sneeze at, but I've seen that before. I've seen very few movies where we come to closure and understanding between a father and son; I guess I connect with that more because it's so unique.

Montana Smith

Raiders112390 said:
This is kinda hard for me, for what LC lacks in kinetic action, it makes up for in heart. Where Raiders has dirt, LC has depth. Where Raiders had Marion, LC has Henry, Sr.

I see a lot of those elements appearing in both films. LC has a lot of 'kinetic action', especially the boats and tank chases, andthe latter was pretty dirty and dusty, too. While LC goes for the warmth of the building relationship betwee father and son, ROTLA thrived on the crackling energy between Indy and Marion, which after Marion's supposed death forms into the movie's most heartfelt scene: Indy drowning his sorrows.

richo

Hi,

Only just joined this site, but I thought I would make a couple of points. Both films are absolutely superb, however, its important to note that they are very similar in make up & structure.

opening title sequence - find artifact, get it taken away
plot - recover a lost religous artifact from a desert location
character contiuity - Sallah, Brody.
Champagne Villain? - yes of course, Belloq and Donovan
Nasty Villains? - yes, Nazie, Toht, Dietrich, Vogel
Morality ending? - yes, champagne villains die due to arrogance & greed
Love interest - yes, Marion & Schnieder
Creatures - yes, Spiders & Snakes v Rats

I could go on, but from a formulaic point of view, the films are basically the same.

rich

DiscoLad

Would you say Crusade had more exotic locations?
I havn't watched the film in quite sometime, but last I remembered it did.

So
Crusade - 1
Raiders - More than 1 :p

Stoo

Raiders112390 said:
Raiders vs. Last Crusade
Wow! "Raiders" vs. "Crusade" Very original...:rolleyes: I vote "Raiders"!:whip:

Considering you've already given us these threads, you must know the answer by now:
Raiders vs. its sequels and prequel
Raiders vs. TOD vs. LC vs. KOTCS vs. YIJC
YIJC vs. KOTCS

Can we expect these?:confused:

Raiders vs. Doom
Raiders vs. Chronicles
Raiders vs. Skull
Doom vs. Crusade
Doom vs. Chronicles
Doom vs. Skull
Crusade vs. Chronicles
Crusade vs. Skull
DiscoLad said:
I havn't watched the film in quite sometime, but last I remembered it did.
C'mon, Disco...you don't know the answer to this?:rolleyes:

Last edited: