How many languages do you speak and which?

qwerty

I speak two languages: Serbian and English.
But I am in the process of learning my third language. I have to learn German, and I have to do it fast. I am going to Germany in couple of weeks and I will need to learn the language if I want to give any sense to that trip.

I speak German and English. Also a little bit of French since I took it in school for about 4 years, but I've forgotten most of it :(
I still wanna learn Spanish one day.

JoSav

*math...*

I feel like such a geek... I speak/understand at least a dozen languages (do I? uh...) ... erm, you do the counting. :p What can I say? I like to express myself?

(..) means years of schooling. Some of these are self-taught or rusty, it usually takes me some time to adapt to the language again. (so don't go blabbling off to me like a rambling moron, especially dialects take some time)

I'm pretty much fluent in Limburgian (23), Dutch (14), English (8), German (6), Friesian (4), French (4) and Latin (5)
I know more than just these languages, amongst them are Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Middel Nederlands (Old Dutch) and Ancient Greek but I wouldn't call myself fluent, let's just say I understand them.
Before the age of 12 I was more or less fluent (or able to get by) in Limburgian, Dutch, English, German and French. It's not very surprising if you look at the roots of Limburgian and keep into account that I grew up in the south of the Netherlands within 5 minutes of the German border and 10 minutes away from the Belgian border. I think of all these 'fluent' languages French is my rustiest (sadly). Je suis désolé...

Brody thing: I have had schooling in Ancient Greek for 4 years, 4 hours a week. I haven't read or spoken the language since I was 16. Gasp. I'm a super nerd. But I never got VERY lost in a museum.

Marcus Brody, anyone? :eek:

IkoJones

I speak English, German (not as good), Czech, Slovak of course, and I think I'm able to sort out the meaning from many other languages (French, Spanish, germanic languages)
I want to learn spanish and french, wish to start ASAP.:whip:

Ayrun

Moderator Emeritus
qwerty said:
How different are languages spoken in Holland, Belgium and Luxemburg?
Are they different at all?

In the Netherlands they speak Dutch.
In the upper half of Belgium they also speak Dutch, the lower half speaks French. ( And there´s a small part speaking German I thought )
Luxemburg... I´m afraid I don´t know for sure. :eek: Not Dutch anyway. :)

JoSav

qwerty said:
How different are languages spoken in Holland, Belgium and Luxemburg?
Are they different at all?

Yes, they are different. Until not too long ago, Luxemburg was part of the Netherlands, until around 1830-1839 The Netherlands and Belgium were united in one country. In Belgium people speak mostly Flemish or Walloon but in some areas German is spoken as well. Flemish is in the language union with the Netherlands and is officially called Dutch. Walloon is officially called French. So they are basically almost the same, kind of like Malay and Brassa Indonesia (or perhaps Urdu and Hindi though I believe the difference between those two is slightly bigger, I could be mistaken.) with a slight difference with pronunciation and what words are old-fashioned or not. Belgians, correct me if I'm wrong.

Ayrun

Moderator Emeritus
JoSav said:
I'm pretty much fluent in Limburgian (23), Dutch (14), English (8), German (6), Friesian (4), French (4) and Latin (5)
I know more than just these languages, amongst them are Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Middel Nederlands (Old Dutch) and Ancient Greek but I wouldn't call myself fluent, let's just say I understand them.
Before the age of 12 I was more or less fluent (or able to get by) in Limburgian, Dutch, English, German and French. It's not very surprising if you look at the roots of Limburgian and keep into account that I grew up in the south of the Netherlands within 5 minutes of the German border and 10 minutes away from the Belgian border.

I know Friesian is a language.. but is Limburgian really a language? I thought it was just a dialect the rest of the country makes fun off. :confused:

Off topic;
I´m from Limburg aswell. Still live there, only on the other side of the border now.