Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 01-18-2014, 12:42 PM   #976
HovitosKing
IndyFan

Now available on PSN...independent title called Spelunky:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelunky

Tried the demo, then went ahead and bought the full game. It's a side-scrolling adventure game very similar to the 80's NES ToD game. Lots of Indy homages. Worth a play if you've not heard of it, especially since the demo means you can play for free. Just FYI.
HovitosKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:48 PM   #977
The Drifter
IndyFan

Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
I've been playing Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag for about a month on my PS4. I'm loving it, and been devoting most of my time to collecting the various chests, and Animus fragments. I'm only 30% complete after all that time (Well, I did take a two week break over the holidays).
Before that I played and beat Knack for the PS4. Fun little game that harkens back to the old beat'em up days.
The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:04 AM   #978
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

From all the way back on Page 8...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur
The Saboteur comes out next Tuesday!

Yeah, it did. And you played it. (For, like, an hour!) Something else must have caught your attention, because it sat around for, like, four years before you bothered to give it an honest shake.

Need your memory jogged?

There's a lot to like about Pandemic's final effort. For starters, it's cavalier attitude is rather refreshing after a generation of heavy-handed paeans to The Greatest Generation™ that began with Schindler's List & later the 50th Anniversary of VE Day. You might say that it shares far more in common with the nazispolitation sub-genre of pulp fiction that inspired Tarantino -- minus the Jewish fantasy -- versus Army of Shadows or The Sorrow and The Pity. In fact, it reminds me a little of Spy Smasher.

It builds on this with an absolutely beautiful black and... grey Paris shot through with touches of yellow, blue, and red. Visually this adds to the immense sense of gloom and oppression hanging over Nazi-occupied Paris while the punches of color help to punctuate the horrifying reality of life under German control. For example, the sudden shock of red as a German patrol murders a group of suspected Resistance fighters does the required job of getting your attention. Come by later and those blood stains still decorate the walls and streets.

Unfortunately, that brilliant artistic decision is undermined by the fact that after an area is "Liberated" (or, inspired enough to fight back) color returns to that specific area. Intended to symbolize life and vitality coming back to that arrondissement, it, instead, turns the City of Lights into a mud brown and rather fugly city. I would have preferred the absence of colors throughout the entire game.

Pandemic has dropped you into the pea coat and newsboy cap of Sean Devlin, an Irishman who was forced to flee that Emerald Isle for mysterious reasons. And boy-oh-boy is he ever an Irishman. Fond of whisky, women, and a good punch up, Sean turns up on the Continent in the company of the some fellow auto enthusiasts that run afoul of the Despotic Nazi Butcher after they drunkingly run his ride off a cliff into the waiting arms of Neptune. One of Sean's mates gets himself killed following this escapade setting in motion the overarching narrative of revenge and retribution. Now, the car was cool but nowhere near the level of the Red Skull's Schmidt Hydra Coupe.

Anyway, the gameplay is equally fast and loose. Sean can take a full clip of automatic gunfire before death becomes a pressing concern. Not a problem, though. Just stay out of sight for a couple of seconds and his health will completely regenerate. Enemies thankfully go down much, much easier which is good since the shooting isn't as fine tuned as it should be.

It should be noted that the stealth mechanic is completely broken. It's not even worth trying in most of the missions so far. I can beat down a Wermacht officer in the middle of the street with zero consequence, but step a foot too close to a Gestaposoldier, while disguised as a Gestapo general, and the bullets are flying fast and free. You're better off meeting your objectives head on.

Still, dynamiting Nazi installations and vehicles is an absolute blast. Pun intended. I don't think I've dealt with the main story in the past couple of days. Instead, I've gone duck hunting, raced through the French countryside, and dynamited any number of German armor and Nazi propaganda stations. I've ever taken over a couple of German AA-guns and shot down several zeppelin! So there's plenty to do outside of the main campaign for those so inclined.

I would say that I'm about halfway through the game at this point in time, and with above par voice acting, an amusing story, and a central mechanic that will never get old I'd give The Saboteur a solid 7/10 so far.

Feel your bosom swell with patriotic fervor! Aux armes, citoyens!

Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:12 AM   #979
The Drifter
IndyFan

Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
I've been gaming on the PS4 as of late. I went through Knack which I thought was a fun game. It harkens back to the simple days of just going from point A to point B while beating the tar outta of different enemies along the way.
It's not a deep game by any means, but it's fun. And that's all that really matters in the end. The graphics are nice and clean. They have a Pixar quality to them. In fact the whole game reminded me of a Pixar film. The game could become tiring to some, I suppose, as it has a decent length, with no reprise of the same beat'em up formula. And I dislike how it requires multiple playthroughs to be able to even upgrade your character. But all-in-all it's a fun game.

After playing through Knack, I went to Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag on the PS4. Now, I am just gonna get this outta the way right off the bat. I've played through every Assassin's Creed game to date, but this one is by and far my favorite of the series. I enjoyed almost everything about it. The story, the outstanding and jaw-dropping graphics (it has the BEST environments in any game that I've seen), and it boasts the best main character from any past AC games.
I sunk a lot of hours into this one, and I enjoyed every moment of it. The only gripe that I have is that Ubisoft really need to redo the combat mechanics, as it's still clunky, and not very fluid at all.

I'm now working my way through Thief. I'm enjoying it so far as well. I will post more impressions of it after I beat it. After that, I plan on playing through the PS4 version of Tomb Raider, and then moving on to Infamous: Second Son which drops Friday.

Also: There's a WRPG that hits in May on the PS4, PC, 360 and PS3. Has anyone heard about this? It's on my radar for sure. (Finn, I'm sure that you've heard about it.)

Last edited by The Drifter : 03-18-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:14 PM   #980
The Drifter
IndyFan

Sorry for the double-post, but I found an article that claims that the next Assassin's Creed title will take place in and around Paris, France.
http://kotaku.com/leaked-images-reve...ium=Socialflow
Old 03-20-2014, 02:10 AM   #981
Finn
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drifter
Also: There's a WRPG that hits in May on the PS4, PC, 360 and PS3. Has anyone heard about this? It's on my radar for sure. (Finn, I'm sure that you've heard about it.)
In passing. RPGs set in a fantasy land seem dime a dozen, so it's kinda difficult to get excited unless being part of an established IP. Because it's not like I'm craving for yet another opportunity to hack things into little bits with a sword and perhaps some magic, while having talky-times inbetween. I don't mean to pan it, but if it had a setting a little more unorthodox, like say, some kind of modern spy caper (such as Alpha Protocol a few years back, objectively a pretty crappy game but played it for the setting anyway) or pirates, I might actually hope it turns out to be good.

Of course, if this one does, it will likely go to the to-play list. But I'm definitely waiting to see what the hive mind thinks of it before I bother to get excited.

---

Looks like it's been a while since I've been to this thread. Kinda logical, since I didn't want to turn my posts into daily logs of "what I did in Skyrim today". Though that does not actually explain my absence since January, because that was when I finally realized that with the way I was playing the game, wrapping it up would take me a while. All the while the backlog bloats further on. So one day, roughly three months ago, I just left my Dovahkiin sitting in the Bannered Mare, waiting for some kind of hush-hush meeting he was to have that evening with some of the Companions. By that moment, roughly three to four months had passed in-game, and in that time I had been to six of the Skyrim's nine (or eight-and-half) major settlements, had advanced the main story up to a point where Delphine told me she was to do some due diligence on the Thalmor - and left all other major story strands save for the Companions pretty much untouched. Mostly because from the overarching story perspective, it made sense to me. While the actual gamespace is greatly compressed, in-lore Skyrim is a big place, so things happening there should take time.

I fully intend to go back one day and see the rest it has to offer, but right now it's on hiatus while I have a go at other things. And thus far, said things have been Remember Me, Splinter Cell: Blacklist and Assassin's Creed Liberation. Currently underway is Black Flag.

Without further ado, brief impressions of them...

Remember Me is a game that essentially holds tons of promise, but the execution falls flat. The premise deserves so much more than a linear corridor beat-em-up with some piss-easy platforming in-between. Which is why I hope it gets a sequel. In a sense, it's a game like the very first Assassin's Creed or Hitman way back when. In other words, games that display plenty of promise and originality, but on execution, are little more than technology and gameplay demos. However, both got did get sequels that simply fixed everything wrong with their predecessors, and helped turn said IPs into modern classics. I'd say Dontnod deserves another shot at it too.

Blacklist finally brings back the Sam we've been waiting for from 2005 onwards. It is, simply put, the best Splinter Cell since Chaos Theory. Thanks to its attempts to pander the fans of myriad of playstyles, it does not quite reach the levels of the first three titles in the series (for example, stealth is still a binary choice, either you're fully hidden or not), but it finally truly rewards being subtle and thinking out-of-the-box again. Thumbs up.

AC Liberation is pretty much what you'd expect from Assassin's Creed at this point. All the pieces are there, plus a gimmick of its own, which in this case is the disguise mechanic. If you're a fan of the series, you'll likely find this one fun too as long as it lasts. If not, it's still not a bad game but you won't miss anything earth-shattering.

Black Flag... I'll give my lasting impression once I'm done, but yeah, it's at the very least the second best entry to the series. I'll wait 'til the credits until I say whether it's actually better than Brotherhood. But given how suspicious I was of its foundations and the current series development cycle in general, I'll have to grudgingly tip my hat to Ubi for actually pulling it off.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:12 PM   #982
S. Dakota Jones
IndyFan

I keep bouncing between South Park, GTA5, and Mass Effect 3, and Last of Us - all of them first time playthroughs.

It's really weird because I'm notorious for only playing through one game at a time. This time around though, it feels like I just can't focus on one game long enough to play just one game though.
S. Dakota Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:14 PM   #983
The Drifter
IndyFan

Well, I beat Thief on the PS4 the other day. I went into the game as a virgin, as I have never played the past Thief games before, but I've always heard good things about them. I thought that this Thief was a decent game. Not great, not horrible, but decent.
The gameplay was good. The stealth mechanics worked well. You stay in the shadows and avoid the light. You can use different arrows (such as water arrows) to snuff out lit torches, and you can blow out candles as well. It's simple, but it's fun and it does it's job pretty well.
You can play through the whole game without laying a hand on anyone, or you can sneak up behind them and knock them out with a well placed smack with your blackjack.

If a guard or other enemy does happen to spot you, you'd be better off just reloading the last save point instead of fighting them. Combat consist of nothing but blindly swinging your blackjack in hopes that you knock the guard out before he kills you.
The story in the game is the main weak point. It's sort of dull, but it has it's cool moments. The ending was horrible, and sort of pissed me off.

Also, you'll get lost a lot traversing The City. You'll be wondering how to get to different sections, and you'll be spending a great deal of time wondering around like a drunk. The map is useless, so I didn't even bother with it for the most part.
The game looks nice on the PS4. Great texture work. The environments are moody and varied. Chapter five was one of the best chapters that I've seen in a long time.
All-in-all, I give Thief a 6/10.

Up next is the revamped Tomb Raider on the PS4.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:17 PM   #984
S. Dakota Jones
IndyFan

I played the first Thief when it came out and really enjoyed it. Some of it was downright spooky in parts. They really did the emphasize, even then, that you are not a fighter. You had a sword but even one on one, you were outmatched and usually took a lot of damage before killing a guard. 2 or more guards just meant run and hide or die.
S. Dakota Jones is offline   Reply With Quote