Thor: The Dark World

Le Saboteur

Le Saboteur said:
I'm going to guesstimate... $700-million in global box office. Say, $250-million here and the rest will be taken in overseas. Especially if it delivers on the promise of Lord of the Rings meets the Marvel Universe.

You're god damn prophetic, man.

Since the flick is finally drifting out of theatres after a two month run it looks like the final theatrical haul will be ~$630-million. The Dark World just barely cracked the $200-million mark stateside and picked up the difference internationally. I don't think anybody at the House of Mouse is unhappy about those numbers. They'll probably add another ~$200-million in home video sales and other back end deals.

Moedred said:
So the Aether is omnipotent and would destroy the universe if it had the chance.

...um, no? It has a limited sentience -- i.e., self-preservation -- but it was/is a weapon created by the Dark Elves for use in their battle against the Asgardians. By definition, something created cannot be omnipotent. See the omnipotence paradox.

7ij6.jpg

Moedred said:
What powers and stakes could possibly top these, promised in the mid-credits scene apparently filmed at Spencer Gifts

Infinity. 'nuff said.

Moedred said:
If Heimdall can see ten trillion souls minus one he should be on the team.

Omniscient? No. You could get away with near omniscience, but think of Heimdall as someone with exceptionally good hearing and eyesight. Think of the sailor that can spot a...um, bird on the horizon well before you can and you have a good measure of Heimdall's powers.

Where's Finn to explain Norse mythology when you need him?

Joe Brody said:
...and he's recognized as the bright spot in what seem to be pretty uniformly bad reviews for the film.

I finally caught this over the holidays after a brief trip to the emergency room (and a hospital stay), and the audience was enthralled almost the entire time. Marvel really hit that four quadrant dead-on despite the bad reviews. Though, I highly doubt they would be 'bad' if Marvel actually developed the Asgardian plotline.

Amon Amarth is still too early. Maybe the third flick?

I enjoyed The Dark World, but ultimately found it to be a trifling affair. Like the original movie, it spent far too much time mucking about Midgard and worrying after Jane Foster. It's almost as if the initial indecision ending up backing the writers into a corner; a moment that may ultimately neuter Thor's big screen longevity. A golden opportunity to supplant the Lord of the Rings and capitalize on Game of the Thrones' popularity has been lost.

I wouldn't necessarily change anything, but the first movie should have spent most of its time in and around Asgard and ended with Thor getting cast down to Earth and meeting Ms. Foster. The second picture largely echoes the first, and the possible third flick sends it back to Asgard for more high-fantasy. Expand the mythos and build a second franchise out of it. You could have a Warriors Three and/or Lady Sif spin off.

Eh, I suppose they could work on it with a third movie. It'd take some effort.

jaimie-alexander-sif-thor-dark-world1.jpg

Sorry, Ms. Foster. You cannot compete.

Colonel Winter said:
Did anyone wait around for the two - yes 2 - Easter eggs at the end credits - looked like one newly introduced character resembled Benicio del Torro.

You were banned after two posts. That must be some sort of record. But, yes, I did stay for the mid and post-credits scenes. Like Thanos' appearance at the end of The Avengers, I couldn't help but let out an enthusiastic response to the appearance of Taneleer Tivan, The Collector. I'm curious to see where they go with him in the Guardians of the Galaxy.

I do share Moedred's concern that The Collector's vault looking slightly underwhelming despite some cool creature effects. Hopefully it was filmed quickly and not indicative of things to come.

HenryJunior said:
...those grenades the Dark Elves use...

Come now, man. Surely you recognize a warp grenade when you see one?

Le Saboteur

Le Saboteur the Annoying said:
...or Lady Sif spin off

Thor-The-Dark-World-Sif-Jaimie-Alexander.jpg

No spinoff yet, good sir, but Sif is all set to make a guess appearance on Agents of SHIELD. Arune Singh, Marvel Entertainment's Executive Director of TV Communications, Tweeted out the announcement

Moedred said:
But when we look back, I think we'll see this is where people started losing interest in where the story arc is going.

Doubtful. Both Thor offerings are probably the weakest of the bunch for whatever reason, but not enough for people to skip out on the rest of the story. Marvel's been doing such a phenomenal job with their building block approach to the overall story that it can suffer a couple of stumbling blocks along the way.

The real test of the cinematic universe's durability is going to be the critical and commercial success of Ant-Man. He's an interesting character, but being able to shrink down to the size of an ant isn't exactly a sexy power.

Fun aside: Disney banned the idea that Ant-Man could ever be Eric O'Grady. Often referred to as the Irredeemable Ant-Man, his lasting claim to fame, aside from being a complete reprobate, was his dedication to getting upskirt snaps of Captain Marvel.

If I were a betting man, I would put money on interest increasing. Why? By pushing Batman vs. Superman back a full sixteen months, Warner Bros has all but confirmed that it will be the Justice League.

kongisking

I'm certainly curious to see Sif on SHIELD. I like her quite a bit in her brief appearances in the movies, and want to see her get a little more development.

And I'm actually hugely excited for Ant-Man. Edgar "ShaunOfTheDeadHotFuzzTheWorld'sEnd" Wright directing? If I could, I'd buy my ticket right freaking now.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Le Saboteur said:
I do share Moedred's concern that The Collector's vault looking slightly underwhelming
Then that makes three of us. Didn't know there was an end credits scene also. They should have switched them. If you're going to introduce a character and give him lines, might as well let him talk ten minutes. There's no such thing as incongruity in comics!

Le Saboteur

kongisking said:
And I'm actually hugely excited for Ant-Man. Edgar "ShaunOfTheDeadHotFuzzTheWorld'sEnd" Wright directing? If I could, I'd buy my ticket right freaking now.

I'm not. While I like Edgar Wright well enough (specifically, Shaun of the Dead), I don't give a fig about the character. Now, his long time partner is a different story entirely. Marvel will get the comic fans and Edgar Wright fans, but I think this might be the hardest thing for Marvel to sell to the general movie going public yet.

Fell free to start an Ant Man thread, though.

Moedred said:
Didn't know there was an end credits scene also.

You didn't miss much. That is, unless you really, really care about Thor's relationship with Jane Foster. It was probably the worst post credits sequence Marvel has done to date. Especially since it wasn't actually Natalie Portman. Which I find funny, because I couldn't help notice just how much derriere Ms. Portman seemed to gain in a matter of seconds.

Moedred said:
Then that makes three of us.

Yeah, I saw that. I wouldn't be happy either; the obvious post credits sequence should have set up a third Thor picture. From a strictly visual standpoint, it looked hurried and unfinished. Where was the lighting? It certainly didn't have that polished look despite some groovy looking artifacts and creature effects. I sort of got the impression that James Gunn hurriedly shot it in order to make the official release date. Note the difference in the level of detail on the Asgardians' attire and Taneleer Tivan's. It's a night and day difference.

kongisking said:
I'm certainly curious to see Sif on SHIELD. I like her quite a bit in her brief appearances in the movies, and want to see her get a little more development.

She has been poorly utilized across two movies now, so Sif (and Jaime Alexander) deserves some proper screen time. Marvel really should be looking to bring The Lord of the Rings to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but has failed thus far. They have the perfect setup, too.

Hey, look. We've made it to a second page!

kongisking

Le Saboteur said:
While I like Edgar Wright well enough (specifically, Shaun of the Dead), I don't give a fig about the character. Now, his long time partner is a different story entirely. Marvel will get the comic fans and Edgar Wright fans, but I think this might be the hardest thing for Marvel to sell to the general movie going public yet.

Fell free to start an Ant Man thread, though.

I honestly don't care for the character either. I'm just hyped at the idea of an Edgar Wright Marvel movie. And hey, Iron Man was a character many didn't really give a darn about. Look what a talented director and a good script did to his rep...

And I'd start a thread, but I do want to decrease the superhero-pollution of this Indiana Jones-centric forum, as per Stoo's dema-I mean, wishes. :p