Highest Grossing Franchises graphic

00Kevin

Indyfan
I thought this was pretty cool. Bond is still #1, but star wars and marvel will give EoN a run for it's money in the coming years

Spurlock

I'm pretty sure this is accounting for inflation, which is pretty interesting.

Regular charts like this, without inflation, give strange results, with popular franchises caving to less popular ones.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Astounding to see just how much money Star Wars: A New Hope made.

It alone made more money than the first 3 Indy films and every franchise below Jaws.

Spurlock

Just nit picking, but this chart is already out of date, with The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug adding a nice chunk to the Tolkien franchise, it will have been pushed in front of... Oh wait, but I forgot about Thor 2.

Anyone wanna try the numbers and see which franchise comes out on top?

Joe Brody

Love the graphics but where to they get off putting Superman at the top of pyramid?

I'm sure I could've found a shot of Iron Man hovering that would've fit just as nice.

I take Pale's point about New Hope, but I think this chart also shows just how impressive the Harry Potter series was. That was one continual effort with the occassional change at director. That's really an accomplishment -- even great material being served up on a platter.

And I'd like to see some analysis on profitability. I'm a Fast and Furious Fan, and I bet that's one of the most profitable franchises up there.

roundshort

Joe Brody said:
Love the graphics but where to they get off putting Superman at the top of pyramid?

And I'd like to see some analysis on profitability. I'm a Fast and Furious Fan, and I bet that's one of the most profitable franchises up there.

I have a feeling if you wanted to talk profitability you would see some different entries - like the Saw movies. Horror movies cost next to nothing to make and little to promote.