TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 04-03-2007, 05:27 PM   #151
Moedred
Administrator

Some of my friends also failed to ferment a palatable red wine. It was closer to vinegar. So instead we distilled some nice hooch from it. Bout time to make some more.

(rocks chair, tugs suspenders, strokes shotgun)
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:24 PM   #152
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Proof that Pale Horse lives in California:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
. . . .The idea struck me when our city was giving away free trees and, whilst surveying the horticulture, I came across the grape and berries section of the nursery. . . .

In my parts the only government 'free trees' available are the ones you dig up in the parks, under the cover of darkness.

Rancho Cucamonga? Perhaps you could make a nice Bugs Bunny Chardonnay

And vaxer's wine & cheese failures prove that he is indeed part American:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaxer
We had to make our own wine, and mine turned out...well...not even suitable for vinaigrette sauce. We also made cheese, but I didn't dare taste it because it was rock hard (kinda sweating though) and an acid smell was comming out of it.
Joe Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:36 PM   #153
roundshort
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred

(rocks chair, tugs suspenders, strokes shotgun,. . . licks lips, eyes daughter)

Come on it is not that hard to make wine, christ, Christ did it from water! No really it is fun, but it helps to live in an area where EVERYONE is a wine maker and there is plenty of equipment around to help.

Good luck Pale!
roundshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:49 PM   #154
Johan
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundshort
Come on it is not that hard to make wine, christ, Christ did it from water! No really it is fun, but it helps to live in an area where EVERYONE is a wine maker and there is plenty of equipment around to help.

Good luck Pale!

You are saying it is easy to make wine because Christ did? Might want to think about that one for a bit.
Johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:56 PM   #155
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJohan
You are saying it is easy to make wine because Christ did? Might want to think about that one for a bit.

roundshort,

People got your sense of humor better with the old avatar.

Last edited by Joe Brody : 04-04-2007 at 06:03 PM.
Joe Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:04 PM   #156
Johan
IndyFan

The problem is that sarcasm doesn't translate well in a non-audible medium of communication.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:59 PM   #157
roundshort
IndyFan

Quote:

I guess you can take it like that if you want, what I was saying he made it from water, so how hard can it be. I personally use grapes.

IJ, did you want me to think about it, or do you want to think about? And if you want me to think about it, what should I think about?

I miss seeing the dog and without Temp here, I figured I would reserect the dog~ (which is god, spelled backwards)
Old 04-04-2007, 07:34 PM   #158
Johan
IndyFan

Well, to me it sounded like this "If the God of the universe can create wine from water, how hard can it be to make wine?"

What you think it actually took some sort of effort on His part?
I know what you're getting at; I just think it was a bad comparison.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:37 PM   #159
roundshort
IndyFan

Quote:
Well, to me it sounded like this "If the God of the universe can create wine from water, how hard can it be to make wine?"

What you think it actually took some sort of effort on His part?
I know what you're getting at; I just think it was a bad comparison.

And all this time I thought it was some dust and gas and a bang (all be it, a big bang!)

Just joking and provoking IJ, In the wine industry we joke about ol' JC, we even have some called Jesus unites that are used in wine making. It's all good, just being a DEVILS advocate!
Old 04-05-2007, 12:01 PM   #160
Pale Horse

Quote:

Good luck Pale!

Must, ADY, Remuage, Foxy, Doux, Crock, Bung. What the heck am I getting myself into!

P.S. Indy Johan, the water to wine reference is a metaphorical tool indicating that the marriage feast, (or union of the Messiah to his church) is equivalent to the fermenting process of taking something that essentially dead (water) and bringing it to live (wine). It's an lesson that most growth needs to take place on the inside, before bringing it out. Hence the fermenting reference.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:09 PM   #161
roundshort
IndyFan

Quote:
Must, ADY, Remuage, Foxy, Doux, Crock, Bung

He he he he He said Bung, he he he he
Old 04-05-2007, 01:14 PM   #162
Pale Horse

I understand balling and racking are also a part of the winemaking process. Now where will I find a fining agent to help me with this process?
Old 04-05-2007, 01:47 PM   #163
roundshort
IndyFan

Quote:
I understand balling and racking are also a part of the winemaking process. Now where will I find a fining agent to help me with this process?

it is all about fish guts (Sturgeon Bladders really).
Old 04-05-2007, 03:57 PM   #164
Pale Horse

Quote:
it is all about fish guts (Sturgeon Bladders really).

"Why's it always gotta be fish!?"
Old 04-18-2007, 01:26 PM   #165
Pale Horse

BevMo's $.05 sale! (for the domestic consumers, sorry)

Anyone got some good recommendations? Vine Cliff Cab?
Old 04-18-2007, 05:08 PM   #166
roundshort
IndyFan

Quote:
BevMo's $.05 sale! (for the domestic consumers, sorry)

Anyone got some good recommendations? Vine Cliff Cab?

Careful, If I am not mistaken, Last week vine cliff cab was 39.99 a bottle, not it is 69.99, coincedence I think not. . .

Look for Vare Bianco
a great wine!
Old 06-12-2007, 01:27 PM   #167
roundshort
IndyFan

Pale, you are off the wagon, what would you drink if you could drink any bottle?
That goes for anyone, you can chose any bottle of wine, what would it be and where from?
Old 06-14-2007, 08:48 AM   #168
james2094
IndyFan

Rather then Wine....

I would go for vodka. Feijoa flavoured by 42 Below or if making a cocktail then Manuka Honey or Kiwi flavoured. Awesome.

But if you really want to know what wine. A fruity Pinot Noir from Otago.
james2094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:08 PM   #169
roundshort
IndyFan

Very nice, good pick on the Kiwi PN, I like North Island a bit more, but I think as they work on higher altitude plantings in Otago that will be the best area for PN in New Zealand!

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2007, 03:45 PM   #170
Pale Horse

Quote:
Pale, you are off the wagon, what would you drink if you could drink any bottle?
That goes for anyone, you can chose any bottle of wine, what would it be and where from?

I am, and am ramping up to be fully pickled by the end of summer. Opus One, 2002 would be nice. I had it on a Cruise a few years back, more nostalgic then anything. Maybe for kicks I would try a Chateau Mouton Rothschild, but now were just talking silly talk. My tongue is not quite ready for that.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:54 PM   #171
roundshort
IndyFan

ummmm Mouton, the power. You can find comparatively good value on the '02 vintage, which I really like. The '03 cost too much and are falling apart, the 04 was totally overpriced for the quality and the '05, well that is just silly talk!
Old 06-25-2007, 03:28 PM   #172
Pale Horse

I'll put you on the spot: Summer afternoon, 3 meat (chicken pork shrimp) shish-kabobs in two traditional flavors, southwest and teriyaki; pasta salad; mint-lime lemonaide and passion fruit sun tea and finished with a raspberry tort......what wine would you serve, or better yet, how many different bottles will I need to provide?
Old 06-25-2007, 04:16 PM   #173
roundshort
IndyFan

Quote:
I'll put you on the spot: Summer afternoon, 3 meat (chicken pork shrimp) shish-kabobs in two traditional flavors, southwest and teriyaki; pasta salad; mint-lime lemonaide and passion fruit sun tea and finished with a raspberry tort......what wine would you serve, or better yet, how many different bottles will I need to provide?

Any time I get a question like this I will run and hide behind good old Riesling. Something like a qba as they are usually a better price that Spatlesse, but still has a nice residual sugar.

I like Rose this time of year with shish-kabobs. Look for a nice shade of Pink to rose (stay away from Salmon colored Rose. Fisher makes the bost I have ever had, but Pax, Miner, Solorosa make great also, as well as the great rose from Navarra Spain and South France (try to stay in the 10 to 15 buck price range for Rose)

Some Sauvignon blanc might work, but better to stay away form. Something a little different like a Torrontes from Argentina, Susan Balbo is great!

Look at some new (1 to 2 years old max) of Albarino from Rias Baixs Spain.

These are fun, light whites that shoudl all work!
Old 06-28-2007, 01:02 PM   #174
Deadlock
IndyFan

Hey roundshort... I recently spent a week in an Italian villa that produced it's own Chianti Classico (grapes grown onsite, processed elsewhere): Il Tarocco.

After spending some time with the owner (and drinking the Villa's wine for a week), I can't seem to bring myself to drink any of the cheap reds I drank pre-Italy.

Can you suggest a worthy red to wean myself onto?
Deadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 01:17 PM   #175
roundshort
IndyFan

Sounds like a great time DL!

Ah the Chianti bug. It will be hard you to drink heavy extracted reds with high (15% and up) alcohol levels. I like Chianti's that have a nice bright red center with a brick hue around the edges. They always have fruit flavors of red cherry, red plum, red apple skins (a lot of nice tart fruit flavors) but also with some darker fruit, like black plums and even a little bit of allspice (depending on if the producer uses oak or not.

Lucky for you, if you have to be bitten by the fine wine bug, Chianti is not a bad way to go. The wines, while not inexpensive, are a relatively good buy compared to classified Bordeaux, Burgundy, any my own Napa cabs.

i recommend you stick with great Chiantis, try some different classicos, ruffinas, etc. Alos check out some Cotes du Rhone wines form the southern Rhone and even some gigondas.

Italy has a million great wine regions form as many different grapes. Go up north in Piedmont and try some Dolcettos, Barbaras, etc. Stay away form the 2002 vintage in these regions though. Look for the 99 to 01 vintages. Be careful of the 2003. With the massive heat wave many wines in Europe had high sugar levels and were not well made and will die an early death in bottle.