who likes KotCS?

• i do

Votes: 118 81.4%
  • i don't

Votes: 27 18.6%

• Total voters

RaideroftheArk

indyrcks said:
The more I watch Kingdom of the Crystal Skull the more I love it does anyone else still feel the same about Indy 4

I just watched it again a couple of days ago and yes, I love it more each time I watch it.

I've stated this before on these boards, but the first time I saw it in the theaters I left feeling like, "Yeah that was ok...BUT..." At which point I started to analyze it which made me dislike the movie.

I remember after the Doom Town scene when he is being interrogated by the FBI, I didn't pick up that he didn't see any of the interdenominational being's remains at the Roswell incident. I was so distracted by the manner of which he survived a nuclear blast, that I completely missed that little detail.

Of course when he and Mutt find the skull I was so puzzled by his surprise of the discovery. I thought he had seen the remains so why was he acting as if he had no idea what the thing was???

That moment caused me to think that the writers screwed up so big which, or course, made me think less of the movie.

Almost a month went by before I saw the movie again. A couple of friends of mine went to go see it after I gave them my initial impression and they returned saying, "It wasn't that bad." This made me want to see it again and of course, I picked up on what I looked over.

After the 2nd viewing, I took a sigh of relief and enjoy the it more and more each time I see it.

Just watching a couple of days made me realize just how ALONE Dr. Jones was in the beginning of the movie. No Marcus, No Dad, and then, No Job. He was all but retired and pretty much done with everything until Mutt showed up. By the end of the movie he regains his son, Marion, his friendship with Professor Oxley and of course his job.

It all around has nice elements to it...especially for a sequel that was 20 years in the "making."

JP Jones

Darth Vile said:
It was an attempt to explain why there is perhaps a difference between perception and reality... and why, sometimes, the perception becomes the reality within fan communities such as this e.g "the majority of fans hate KOTCS", "The Empire Strikes Back IS the best Star Wars movie" etc. etc. ;)
Yeah, now I see what your saying. Thanks

RaideroftheArk said:
Just watching a couple of days made me realize just how ALONE Dr. Jones was in the beginning of the movie. No Marcus, No Dad, and then, No Job. He was all but retired and pretty much done with everything until Mutt showed up. By the end of the movie he regains his son, Marion, his friendship with Professor Oxley and of course his job.

It all around has nice elements to it...especially for a sequel that was 20 years in the "making."

It took you time to realize these things?

A bit slow on the uptake? I mean, subtlety was hardly that movie's strong point. Maybe if they'd bashed you over the head with it a few more times?

RaideroftheArk

ResidentAlien said:

A bit slow on the uptake? I mean, subtlety was hardly that movie's strong point. Maybe if they'd bashed you over the head with it a few more times?

Yeah I know, right?

I completely just skimmed over parts of this movie without really giving them any kind of thought. I was always so wrapped up in "Ok what happens next?"

I know, I know...as you said, subtlety wasn't the movie's strong point.

So...I messed up. :hat:

TheMutt92

RaideroftheArk said:
I just watched it again a couple of days ago and yes, I love it more each time I watch it.

I've stated this before on these boards, but the first time I saw it in the theaters I left feeling like, "Yeah that was ok...BUT..." At which point I started to analyze it which made me dislike the movie.

This is pretty much my KOTCS story. I had to wait about a week to see cause I was busy, so the anticpation REALLY built up and it was particulary hard to avoid spoilers online. Finally went to the theatre, saw it in the afternoon after having to wait in the parking lot for an hour cause I didn't know the theatre opened later that day, came out liking it, but not loving it.

Then after four or five months the DVD came out, and I bought it the day it came out. Watching it that night, I got such an adrenaline rush watching the first hour of the film, I enjoyed the second half of the film, but the first half to me was on par w/ anything featured in ROTLA or LC.

I watched it one or two more times since then before again watching it last night, and I have to agree: it just keeps getting better. Well, maybe not better, but every complaint I've heard seemed to have no value or backing as I watched the film. Nuking the fridge? Clever, kinda funny nod to 50's nuclear evac tactics. The monkeys? A mini Errol Flynn adventure. The aliens and UFO? Greatest cross genre use I've seen in a long time.

For many, its fight for last place between this and TOD. But for me it is now a fight for second between KOTCS and LC.

Major West

It's nice to see people coming round to KOTCs. And 82% of voters like it.

ResidentAlien said:

Well at least he watched it more than once, which is presumably more than you watched it. I'm guessing you probably decided after 5 minutes of the film you hated it and then vowed to spend the next 20 years of your life posting on the KOTCS board about how much you hate it.

Wilhelm

This movie will get better with time. The other day I was thinking that the Sean Connery's scene with the photo will be more powerfull when he dies.

I'm sure that this will be the last Indiana Jones movie with Harrison Ford.

RaideroftheArk

Wilhelm said:
This movie will get better with time. The other day I was thinking that the Sean Connery's scene with the photo will be more powerfull when he dies.

I'm sure that this will be the last Indiana Jones movie with Harrison Ford.

I still can't understand why people had a problem with that picture? I thought it was perfect as it was the image of Henry Jones Sr. that we knew from the last movie.

TheMutt92

RaideroftheArk said:
I still can't understand why people had a problem with that picture? I thought it was perfect as it was the image of Henry Jones Sr. that we knew from the last movie.

It's cause every knows they were film stills from LC. Although the only one I remotely disagree w/ is Marcus'.

And while we're on the topic of SC, if a fifth film comes out and involves time travel to an extent, do you think it'd be interesting to bring Henry Senior back briefly (although in a non cheesy way)?

RaideroftheArk

Oh gosh...I really hope they ax the film before one frame is shot if time travel is the basis.

Personally, I liked the progression in KOTCS. Time Travel messes everything up.

Wilhelm

The Marcus photo was bad, but I can live with that.

I didn't like Connery's photo at first because it reminded me of a cover of my first Lucasfilm Magazine, but I like it more beacuse it's the photo that better captures his personality. And the 90 % of the mass audience didn't know the previous films so well as the fans, so I can live with those photos now.

Montana Smith

RaideroftheArk said:
Oh gosh...I really hope they ax the film before one frame is shot if time travel is the basis.

Personally, I liked the progression in KOTCS. Time Travel messes everything up.

Time travel is a cheap cop out, unless it's been the central theme to a series from the start, such as in Planet of the Apes. I also like the progression in Indy's life between the films. To bring Connery back by the wonders of time travel would throw everything else into uncertainty and chaos.

TheMutt92

Montana Smith said:
Time travel is a cheap cop out, unless it's been the central theme to a series from the start, such as in Planet of the Apes. I also like the progression in Indy's life between the films. To bring Connery back by the wonders of time travel would throw everything else into uncertainty and chaos.

Time travel is probably the wrong idea (though if done properly could be interesting). But maybe some hallucination/dream (like the scenes between Dicaprio and his wife in Shutter Island)? I know these seem kinda out there, but I think it was kinda a waste to kill off his character while Sean Connery is still kicking (granted he's retired, but it kinda ruins any chance he may have in returning to the franchise).

Sorry to drag this discussion off topic, but...

RaideroftheArk

TheMutt92 said:
Time travel is probably the wrong idea (though if done properly could be interesting). But maybe some hallucination/dream (like the scenes between Dicaprio and his wife in Shutter Island)? I know these seem kinda out there, but I think it was kinda a waste to kill off his character while Sean Connery is still kicking (granted he's retired, but it kinda ruins any chance he may have in returning to the franchise).

Sorry to drag this discussion off topic, but...

I think that would be a little too "deep" for an Indy flick. What advantage, other than seeing Sean Connery play the character again, would we have by having Henry Jones Sr. in another film?

It seemed that Last Crusade sort of summed it all up for that character.

Trust me, I really wanted to see him return for KOTCS, but as Lucas said, fans would have been disappointed since it would have just been a cameo. What would he have added to the overall film? A couple of words of wisdom? A pat on the back and a "be careful" on your quest speech?

I think it's best that his character died with his last adventure bringing him and his son together over his most researched artifact.

sandiegojones

Anyone else watching ancient aliens series on History? It's kind of 50/50 between people who believe this stuff and those who don't but there's a lot here relevant to KOTCS. A lot of people don't think aliens are history or supernatural but this show can help people appreciate what KOTCS was trying to do I think. It's kind of a nice compliment to the film and shows the plot was more concise than it was given credit for.