Should Indy die on film?

Montana Smith

Mickiana said:
No death for Indy, but everyone else around him can die, no probs!

(y)

Dial Mick for murder.

Contract list comprises:

Mutt
Marion
Oxley
Stanforth
Short Round
Willie Scott

General Ross gets a reprieve, due to his connection to daughter Betty and the Incredible Hulk.

Montana Smith said:
General Ross gets a reprieve, due to his connection to daughter Betty and the Incredible Hulk.
Maybe we remove his trigger finger...funny watching him knock the ash off his cigar without an index finger.

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Maybe we remove his trigger finger...funny watching him knock the ash of his cigar without an index finger.

If only Bruce Banner had access to a fridge, the Hulk would never have seen the light of day.

And if Indy hadn't had access to the fridge...

1116138_6abc_625x1000.jpg

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
If only Bruce Banner had access to a fridge, the Hulk would never have seen the light of day.

And if Indy hadn't had access to the fridge...

1116138_6abc_625x1000.jpg

And I thought nothing could possibly have made Indiana Jones any cooler...

Pale Horse

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
Yeah, I still don't think Indy should ever die. Just disappear like Abner. A mysterious end puts Indy firmly into the realm of a legend.

It's been said before and I'll let the archives remain hidden...but if he goes out like Shane that would be perfect...

shane1953.jpg

Montana Smith

Pale Horse said:
It's been said before and I'll let the archives remain hidden...but if he goes out like Shane that would be perfect...

Yes, that woud certainly be a powerful ending for such a well-known character. Though there would have to be a lot of uncertainty over his condition. Whether he'll make it, or not. That would be one almighty cliffhanger to finish - and Lucas and Spielberg would have to vow never to say either way. One of movie history's greatest mysteries!

Stoo

Indy's brother said:
Yeah, I know about George Hall. I also know that George Lucas deleted his existence from YIJC.
Sorry, Indy's bro', but this is a commonly-held misconception. At the end of every chapter on the DVDs, Old Indy's hands can STILL be seen. INDY LIVES INTO THE '90s...He cannot/will not die!:p

OldIndyHands_small.jpg

kongisking

michael said:
Folks, are we forgetting something/someone.....

mo_12.jpg

I actually really don't like the George Hall Old Indy scenes. I just found it heartbreaking and disturbing, seeing Indy having devolved into this senile, eccentric old nutter who is telling stories left and right. It's just too sad imagining the Indy we know and love, the Indy that punches bad guys and finds lost treasures, having that fate.

But the eyepatch is badass. Imagine Harrison wearing one in the costume, and you have Awesome Overload.

Indy's brother

Stoo said:
Sorry, Indy's bro', but this is a commonly-held misconception. At the end of every chapter on the DVDs, Old Indy's hands can STILL be seen. INDY LIVES INTO THE '90s...He cannot/will not die!:p

OldIndyHands_small.jpg

Now I don't know since I'm not a YIJC fan, but aside from your knowledge as a fan of Old Indy's appearance in the series, in his absence do the old hands still explicitly mean that they are Indy's hands? And even further, if so, do they also explicitly indicate that they belong to an Indy of George Hall's age?

kongisking said:
I actually really don't like the George Hall Old Indy scenes. I just found it heartbreaking and disturbing, seeing Indy having devolved into this senile, eccentric old nutter who is telling stories left and right. It's just too sad imagining the Indy we know and love, the Indy that punches bad guys and finds lost treasures, having that fate.

But the eyepatch is badass. Imagine Harrison wearing one in the costume, and you have Awesome Overload.

Now I can't and don't judge anyone for liking "Old Indy," and I'm not saying that you are, either KiK. ;) Personally he's not my cup of tea, though. And I agree with your entire post. I've not watched all the episodes of "Young Indy" but over the years I've seen most if not all of the George Hall bits. I'm sure a lot of fans will disagree with me (and rightly so, I suppose) that if I only had two choices, Indy's death or Indy fading away a-la George Hall....I'm going with "Let him die with his boots on", knowuddamean?

George Hall was a fine actor, But Indy is many things to many fans. My Indy seems more likely to get in over his head and eventually run out of luck. Not without saving the day first/or in the process of dying. The safe choice of course would be to leave it up to the imagination of the viewer, who can choose which version of canon they wish to subscribe to.

I am hardcore in for the eyepatch, btw. Just not in the first reel though. ;)
(did you see what I did there with the "wink"? ALL HAIL MY HILARITY!)

Montana Smith

How do we know that 'Old Indy' really was Indy, and not just some lonely old guy making up stories to get kids into his house? I mean, he knows a lot of Indy's history, but he's probably been forced to fabricate some too.

He's filling in for real Indy who went missing years before, but he didn't know that Indy had a son (wise that he should have kept Mutt a secret), so he invented a daughter by mistake.

Explorer1074

Indiana Jones 5....Indy is not being killed off!

Was surfing the web today for Indy news and the front page of MSN.com is an article about the possibility of a Indiana Jones 5 movie. Steven Spielberg is interviewed and he mentions the fact he and George Lucas are talking about a 5th movie and they have agreed on the "genre" but nothing else.

It was sort of confirmed Indiana Jones will not die in the 5th movie and I guess Indy 5 isn't dead just yet (no pun intended). (y)

MSN article HERE

Kernunnos

I can't believe Lucas would ever seriously consider killing Indy.

Indiana Jones films are fun, first and foremost, and that sort of scenario just wouldn't belong.

There's not a lot I'd put past Lucas. Irritating, non human sidekicks wouldn't surprise me at all, but not even he would seriously consider killing the character. Surely?

The Drifter

I've never once heard about Lucas wanting to kill of Indiana Jones. Maybe I overlooked something or Explorer just threw that in there?

Mickiana

How do we know that 'Old Indy' really was Indy, and not just some lonely old guy making up stories to get kids into his house?

Vewy funnee, Montana! Or else Old Indy is old Indy and he has become a pervert.

Montana Smith

Mickiana said:
Vewy funnee, Montana! Or else Old Indy is old Indy and he has become a pervert.

He has history. Picked up a kid in Shanghai once, lured him out of China by promising him the earth. :p

Indy MUST die!

Just as Mutt enters the picture, we can spend a few minutes with the boy, ponder what The Adventures of Mutt would really be when Indy reveals he just pulled a "Marion".