How far back should a (post Harrison) prequel go?

Raiders90

In Indy's chronology?
I was re-watching the intro to LC and I would love to see some more Hardy Boy-esque pre-WWI Indy adventures. What about you guys?

Face_Melt

I don't really want to see a prequel. The TV series covered that era.
I just would want to see more adventures in the 30's and 40's with the new actor (after Harrison Ford gets his Indy 5 of course).

TheFedora

I dont think they should do a prequel at all. Maybe more of a flashback with a non Harrison actor to get people acclimated if they plan on continuing the franchise after Indy 5.

Face_Melt

TheFedora said:
I dont think they should do a prequel at all. Maybe more of a flashback with a non Harrison actor to get people acclimated if they plan on continuing the franchise after Indy 5.

^ this! :)

Raiders90

TheFedora said:

Continuing the franchise with a new actor introduced in Indy 5, would mean a prequel.

TheFedora

Raiders112390 said:
Continuing the franchise with a new actor introduced in Indy 5, would mean a prequel.

Well I was just saying there are some macguffins like a fountain of youth plot that could give them a way to make him young without going into prequel territory.

Stoo

TheFedora said:
Well I was just saying there are some macguffins like a fountain of youth plot that could give them a way to make him young without going into prequel territory.
Say what? :confused: You were talking about a "flashback". :rolleyes:

Raiders112390 said:
What about you guys?
Further back than 1935 but no earlier than 1921.

TheFedora

Stoo said:
Say what? :confused: You were talking about a "flashback". :rolleyes:

Further back than 1935 but no earlier than 1921.

Honestly theres no need to be that confrontational. :( I was just saying two ways that it could be done. Whether that be flashback or by some de-aging thing, either honestly works for me. But yeah if we do neither (as I suspect) maybe we should get something in between Raiders and Last Crusade.

Raiders90

Why would anyone want Indy to go beyond the 1960s? Do you really want to see Indy trapsing around in his fedora and leather jacket in the 1970s?

Randy_Flagg

I think they should aim for the mid-1920s. That gives them enough space between the time period of the movie and the time period of TOD (1935) allowing audiences to more easily accept Indy looking a bit different, but it also doesn't go too far back, so we won't be stuck with a kid Indy. A 25 year old Indy could work okay.

As for the tv series... I just have a REALLY hard time accepting it as canon, and I would be completely fine with it being removed from canon in favor of movies that feel more Indy-like. Aside from his name, the character in the tv series was not Indiana Jones. He had a completely different personality/attitude (yeah, I know people change, but they don't change THAT much from their 20s to their 30s.)

Why would anyone want Indy to go beyond the 1960s? Do you really want to see Indy trapsing around in his fedora and leather jacket in the 1970s?
I totally agree with you that going into the 1970s would be a bad idea. That's one of my big problems with Harrison doing another Indy film. His age pretty much forces them to set the film in the 70s, and for me, the 70s isn't the time period I want to see when I watch an Indiana Jones movie.

IndyBuff

I liked how MacGregor's novels began in the 1920's and progressed from there. I think that would be a great starting point.

Face_Melt

Raiders112390 said:

A prequel to Indy 5 - sure. As long as we aren't talking about prequels to the original trilogy.

Face_Melt

Raiders112390 said:

Yes. Hence why Harrison is reprising his role 12 years after Indy 4 which was set in 1957.

Raiders90

Face_Palm said:
Yes. Hence why Harrison is reprising his role 12 years after Indy 4 which was set in 1957.

I will bet you $100 right here, right now that Indy 5 goes no later than 1969. We're not gonna see Indy in the Disco Era.

Randy_Flagg said:
I think they should aim for the mid-1920s. That gives them enough space between the time period of the movie and the time period of TOD (1935) allowing audiences to more easily accept Indy looking a bit different, but it also doesn't go too far back, so we won't be stuck with a kid Indy. A 25 year old Indy could work okay.

As for the tv series... I just have a REALLY hard time accepting it as canon, and I would be completely fine with it being removed from canon in favor of movies that feel more Indy-like. Aside from his name, the character in the tv series was not Indiana Jones. He had a completely different personality/attitude (yeah, I know people change, but they don't change THAT much from their 20s to their 30s.)

I totally agree with you that going into the 1970s would be a bad idea. That's one of my big problems with Harrison doing another Indy film. His age pretty much forces them to set the film in the 70s, and for me, the 70s isn't the time period I want to see when I watch an Indiana Jones movie.

I want the YIJC if only so the Ford cameo remains canon.

Raiders90

Face_Palm said:
What about Indy 6?

Ain't going to be one, at least with Ford in it. Another $100 says this is his last outing as Indy, whether through his Indy's on-screen death, or Harrison's retirement from major acting roles. You can quote me on this in 2020. I've been on here since 2007, and I don't intend on leaving anytime soon.

Kai Hagen

Raiders112390 said:
What if he changes his style? Uncharted and Tomb Raider works well in the modern age.

TheFedora

Kai Hagen said:
What if he changes his style? Uncharted and Tomb Raider works well in the modern age.

Im not sold on a change in style, although I think the hat and whip would pretty much have to stay the same no matter what. Ditto on the leather jacket and shirt maybe.

JasonMa

I think earlier adventures in the 20's could work, as long as their earlier adventures and not a prequel.

What I mean by that is that a whole new story of Indy looking for some artifact in 1926 is fine. I don't want to see "Here's how Indy and Marion met" or "Here's the first time Indy and Belloq crossed paths" or Here's where Indy and Forrestal first competed for the same discovery".

Its fine to work in some setting up of what we saw in the original 3 movies (he partners with Sallah who he already knows, or Short Round, or talks to a younger Brody who's not yet running the museum) but the story can't be focused on setting up the relationships we already know about.

That's my greatest fear about the Han Solo movie. Its going to be a checklist. Save Chewie's life, meet Lando, win the Falcon from Lando, etc. instead of a new story.

Face_Melt

Raiders112390 said:
Ain't going to be one, at least with Ford in it. Another $100 says this is his last outing as Indy, whether through his Indy's on-screen death, or Harrison's retirement from major acting roles. You can quote me on this in 2020. I've been on here since 2007, and I don't intend on leaving anytime soon.

Before Harrison was even officially announced to return for The Force Awakens as Han Solo, rumors were swirling that he only agreed to return if they signed a contract with him guaranteeing Indy 5 & 6. As soon as The Force Awakens hit theatres and we learned Han died, only 3 months later they confirmed Indy 5 with Harrison. That tells me there was a lot of validity to the rumors.