Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
User Name
Password

Old 05-07-2008, 06:07 AM   #26
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserschwert
I've taken the liberty to create a cover for that promo, so that it looks nice next to the original four releases:
Nice job! Did you come up with the track titles?
Quote:
So if anybody gets hold of it...
I think I might have a lead.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:12 AM   #27
Laserschwert
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Nice job! Did you come up with the track titles?

Nope, that's how the files were named

The only one I'm not sure about is track 18, and if it's "Resurrected Indy Fights Vlad" or "Resurrected / Indy Fights Vlad"... the separations were lost in the file names. I haven't seen the episode in ages... does Indy get resurrected?
Laserschwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:26 AM   #28
fommes
IndyFan

Thanks for those covers, they look really great.

My track list goes as follows:
Bloodletting / Stabbed in the back
Resurrected / Indy Fights Vlad
Four Roads Met
Forest Reckoning
I'd Stake his life on it / Halloween

The last cue is missing on your list. Also, I don't know about the rest of the CD, if that's in order, but I swapped Resurrected and Four Roads Met, I'm pretty sure that's how they should appear.

Cheers!
fommes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:37 AM   #29
Laserschwert
IndyFan

I see... that last track seems to be missing from my version, but I have found another one including it. I'll change the cover and upload a new version.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:56 PM   #30
Laserschwert
IndyFan

Here's the updated cover + disc-label:

Since every tracklist I've found for the soundtrack stated "Four Roads Meet" to come before "Resurrection", I've left it at that order.

A question for the moderators: Would it be a problem to link to the soundtrack here? It hasn't been released, after all...

Last edited by Laserschwert : 05-07-2008 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:55 PM   #31
The Tingler
IndyFan

Ok guys:

Volume 2 Soundtrack at HMV.co.uk

And annoyed at the costs of the soundtracks on Amazon.com? Then try Amazon.co.uk for a cheaper price!

God, I sound like I'm advertising...
The Tingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:45 PM   #32
Laserschwert
IndyFan

Wow, it's incredible how expensive Vol.4 has become... I got it about 2 years ago for about 25 bucks from eBay...
Old 05-07-2008, 04:50 PM   #33
Crack that whip
IndyFan

I got all four of mine when they were new; I believe I picked them up at what was then my local Camelot Music. I might have had to special-order one or two volumes...
Crack that whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:54 PM   #34
tupogirl
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crack that whip
I got all four of mine when they were new; I believe I picked them up at what was then my local Camelot Music. I might have had to special-order one or two volumes...

I bought the first two tapes at Camelot! Camelot was *evil*. I have no idea what happened to them though. I found the paper cover on the first one but the tape is nowhere in sight.
tupogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:29 PM   #35
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Here's the updated cover + disc-label:
I don't mean to nitpick, Laserschwert, because I really like what you're doing
but you forgot the slash between Resurrected / Indy Fights Vlad (!) Looks great, though!

Apart from that...
Track 01 - Trick or Treat
Track 20 - Hallowe'en

Old Indy soundtracks. Gotta love it!
Old 05-07-2008, 05:46 PM   #36
Laserschwert
IndyFan

Damn... there were even more errors than that... so it wasn't "nitpicking"

Here we go again:

Old 05-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #37
The Tingler
IndyFan

I've ordered Volume 1... is it good?
The Tingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:35 PM   #38
fommes
IndyFan

Quote:
Since every tracklist I've found for the soundtrack stated "Four Roads Meet" to come before "Resurrection", I've left it at that order.

Jup, but I've checked that against the episode itself if I remember correctly. Four Roads Meet is definitely the travel music towards the junction after Indy fought Vlad.

And I don't want to nitpick either - that's really one of the best 'home-made' covers I've ever seen.

And I'd highly recommend to anyone asking to search out the four volumes.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:46 PM   #39
Crack that whip
IndyFan

At the behest of our good man Stoo, I'd like to note one additional source of Young Indy tuneage. Laurence Rosenthal, one of the show's primary composers (he wrote the theme, as well as scoring several episodes) issued a two-disc promo CD on his own label, Windmere Music, in 1995, presenting samples of his scores for various television projects, fittingly called Music for Television; basic info can be found here.

The second disc contains six tracks of music from The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, totaling 20 minutes and 24 seconds. The first three tracks all contain music already available on Vols. 1 and 4 of the commercial releases (though one of the tracks here, "The Fight in the Bakery / The Voice of Ireland," is a new edit combining the complete "Fight in the Bakery" from Vol. 4 with the first minute or so of "The Uprising," the track right after it).

The other three tracks are all of music available on CD only here, though, and present sweet if brief selections from: the "Russia" portion of Young Indiana Jones: Travels With Father; "Prague, August 1917" (or Espionage Escapades; and Young Indiana Jones and the Hollywood Follies. None of these episodes are represented at all on any of the commercial releases, so having even the single cues from them here is wonderful, if one's into the show and its music, as I am. Unfortunately this disc is apparently out of print and appears to regularly go for upwards of $50 on the secondary market - but I got lucky and scored it for $24.99 plus shipping in an eBay auction, so hey, you never know! That's still a lot of money for just that little bit of extra music, of course, but aside from being about the best price I could hope for, the album does have a lot of other good music from the composer's other, non-Indy work, and I'm enough of a fan of film scoring in general (and not just Indy scores, though obviously that's a primary area of interest for me) that I consider it more than worth it.

Actually, for a near-complete rundown of CDs with Young Indy music, one should just check the listing for the series on that site here you go. There are a few CDs listed there I was previously unaware of; I'm really curious to know about both the Korean (!) CD The Best Of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (does anyone have a tracklist for this? It's from Varèse Sarabande, so I assume it has tracks from the four volumes, but I don't know) and the "Young Indy Satellite 1" maxi-single, which appears to be a set of dance remixes of the theme (!!!):

1. Young Indy (Radio Edit) (3:22)
  2. Young Indy (Dance Version) (6:34)
  3. Young Indy (Saxy Mix) (6:57)
  4. Young Indy (Instrumental Version) (3:21)

Of the other things, the Colosseum albums are just the European versions of the Varèse Sarabande albums; Colosseum is Varèse Sarabande's German sister / subsidiary label, as I understand it. The Young Indy track on the Varèse Sarabande 25th Anniversary Celebration album is "An American Thanksgiving / A Chinese Adventure" from "Peking, March 1910," and also appears on Vol. 1 of their / Colosseum's series of albums from the show.

I don't know why Curt Sobel's promo of his "Transylvania, January 1918" score isn't listed; if I had to guess, I'd say it's because it's perhaps technically not a legal release, though since it's from the composer himself I'd think it's still not looked down upon by Lucasfilm, et. al. quite the same way they would a run-of-the-mill bootleg (but here, too, I don't know for sure).
Old 11-13-2008, 06:32 AM   #40
fommes
IndyFan

Yup it's great to hear those selections from some other episodes, which makes me just crave for more. I wish I had picked up this 2CD promo when it was in the 'anything goes'-bin at Intrada.... What can I say, I was young and without credit card!

I hadn't heard of those 'dance' mixes though I wonder if there's anything interesting on them, or if they're all just run-of-the-mill remixes...

I suspect, as well, that that Best-of CD doesn't include anything new, I've seen it on eBay but never wanted to spend money on music I already have.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:22 AM   #41
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Actually, for a near-complete rundown of CDs with Young Indy music, one should just check the listing for the series on that site here you go. There are a few CDs listed there I was previously unaware of; I'm really curious to know about both the Korean (!) CD The Best Of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (does anyone have a tracklist for this? It's from Varèse Sarabande, so I assume it has tracks from the four volumes, but I don't know)
I don't have the CD but here's the track listing (which, I believe, is all previously released material):

The Best of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
----
01. Main Title (Album Version) (2:08)
02. Indy And The Princess (6:10)
03. Meto (3:05)
04. An American Thanksgiving - A Chinese Adventure (5:56)
05. My Handy Man (3:02)
06. Welcome To Ireland (5:12)
07. Visiting Remy (4:10)
08. Requiem (3:26)
09. Lover's Farewell (2:05)
10. Oxford (0:24)
11. Celtic Love (2:55)
12. Desert Storm (4:15)
13. Albert Schweitzer, Prisoner Of War (2:25)
14. Lead For Breakfast (4:39)
15. I'm A Little Blackbird (3:21)
16. The Bridal Gown (1:49)
17. Arrividerci Indy (3:39)
18. A Poem For Indy (1:51)
19. Swanee (1:38)
20. Blue Horizon (3:00)
21. Welcome to Africa (1:04)
22. The Wrong Way Train (2:05)
23. Main Title (Alternate Version) (0:38)
----
Total running time (69:11)
Quote:
and the "Young Indy Satellite 1" maxi-single, which appears to be a set of dance remixes of the theme (!!!):
That is crazy about the dance mix! This is first piece of merchandise I've ever seen that is actually labelled "Young Indy" instead of using the official title.
Thanks for the other link with that comprehensive list of all the CDs.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:49 AM   #42
Trennas
IndyFan

Psst!

If anyone is still looking for the Young Indy soundtracks: I actually have all four of them, BUT they are not exactly legal, if you catch my drift I can most likely upload them, if there are enough people to actually want them
Trennas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 12:58 PM   #43
Crack that whip
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
I don't have the CD but here's the track listing (which, I believe, is all previously released material):

The Best of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
----
01. Main Title (Album Version) (2:08)
02. Indy And The Princess (6:10)
03. Meto (3:05)
04. An American Thanksgiving - A Chinese Adventure (5:56)
05. My Handy Man (3:02)
06. Welcome To Ireland (5:12)
07. Visiting Remy (4:10)
08. Requiem (3:26)
09. Lover's Farewell (2:05)
10. Oxford (0:24)
11. Celtic Love (2:55)
12. Desert Storm (4:15)
13. Albert Schweitzer, Prisoner Of War (2:25)
14. Lead For Breakfast (4:39)
15. I'm A Little Blackbird (3:21)
16. The Bridal Gown (1:49)
17. Arrividerci Indy (3:39)
18. A Poem For Indy (1:51)
19. Swanee (1:38)
20. Blue Horizon (3:00)
21. Welcome to Africa (1:04)
22. The Wrong Way Train (2:05)
23. Main Title (Alternate Version) (0:38)
----
Total running time (69:11)
That is crazy about the dance mix! This is first piece of merchandise I've ever seen that is actually labelled "Young Indy" instead of using the official title.
Thanks for the other link with that comprehensive list of all the CDs.

And thanks right back at you for that track listing. That does indeed appear to be entirely stuff already available on the four main volumes (which stands to reason, given the "Best of" title).
Old 11-13-2008, 01:46 PM   #44
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
The other three tracks are all of music available on CD only here, though, and present sweet if brief selections from: the "Russia" portion of Young Indiana Jones: Travels With Father; "Prague, August 1917" (or Espionage Escapades; and Young Indiana Jones and the Hollywood Follies. None of these episodes are represented at all on any of the commercial releases, so having even the single cues from them here is wonderful, if one's into the show and its music, as I am.
Boy, do I feel like a doofus today? I was going to ask a question about some rare tracks and discovered that I HAVE the ones from "Music For Television"!

The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (02:07)
Ireland 1916: The Fight In The Bakery/The Voice Of Ireland (03:10)
Peking 1910: The Long Night Of Dr. Wen-Chu (07:08)
Prague 1917: The Amazing Flight Of The Filing Cabinet (02:16)
Travels With Father: Tolstoy Among The People (03:06)
The Hollywood Follies: Broadway To Hollywood (02:22)

Anyway, back to my original question. What is the source of these "Peacock's Eye" tracks? fommes, would you know?
(The alternate, main theme is interesting since it was never, ever used.)

Main Title (Alternate Version) (00:42)
Faraway (0:32)
Finding the Treasure (Part 1) (00:30)
Finding the Treasure (Part 2) (00:33)
The Letter (00:40)
Old 11-13-2008, 01:57 PM   #45
fommes
IndyFan

Yup, I even think you got those from me

The Peacock tracks come from the composer's Steve Bramson's website:
http://www.stevebramson.com/
They're just excerpts unfortunately, in low bitrate.

But where's that alternate main title from?
Is that from the Volume 2 CD, or is it something else?
Old 11-13-2008, 10:55 PM   #46
InexorableTash
IndyFan

FYI, here is an excerpt of the liner notes from Music for Television:
The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles

George Lucas’s television series deals with Indy’s boyhood, at the ages of 10 and 18, or thereabout. His father’s world-wide lecture tour affords the boy the opportunity to travel everywhere with his parents, encountering along the way many of the most famous figures in early 20th-century history, artists, philosophers, statesmen, men of action. Each episode has its own theme, its own concept. And though full of adventure, the stories focus rather on the coming-of-age of a young man and thus may also move into a thoughtful or lyrical mode, or a decidedly comic one. Included here is a small sampling from the many episodes.

19. YOUNG INDY. His theme of youthful adventure

IRELAND 1916 (The Irish Revolution)

20. The Fight in the Bakery / The Voice of Ireland. A nasty fist-fight (to an Irish jig) turns humorous and good-natured. However, Ireland is in a revolt. The emotions of the revolution are reflected in a old folk tune, associated in the film with playwright Sean O’Casey.

PEKING 1910 (Eastern vs. Western Medicine)

21. The Long Night of Dr. Wen-Chu. Indy, 10 years old, is near death of typhoid in a remote, poverty-stricken Chinese farmhouse. Against the fearful protestations of Indy’s mother, the extraordinary Chinese doctor has treated the boy with acupuncture, then quite unknown in the West. The all-night vigil now begins, with fears, hopes, and the prayers of the poor Chinese family.

PRAGUE 1917 (The Madness of Bureaucracy)

22. The Amazing Flight of the Filing Cabinet. Indy’s maniacal descent, down the staircase of a Czech government building, riding a runaway filing cabinet. In this satiric episode, his sympathetic fellow passenger on the hair-raising tip is Franz Kafka.

TRAVELS WITH FATHER (Philosophical Adventures in Russia and Greece)

23. Tolstoy among the People. Indy has been on the road with Tolstoy, tramping across the Russian countryside with the great writer, now an old man and living, by his own choice, the life of a wandering mendicant. Arriving at a Russian village, Tolstoy is greeted jubilantly by the peasants, who regard him as their patron saint.

THE HOLLYWOOD FOLLIES (Fabled Days of the Silent Film)

24. Broadway to Hollywood. Indy leaves Gershwin’s Great White Way on a transcontinental luxury train for an ill-fated venture in the sunny, never-never land of palm trees and white convertibles, where he blunders into one of Tinseltown’s incredibly glamorous movie studios.
InexorableTash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:31 PM   #47
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fommes
Yup, I even think you got those from me
Indeed, I did but wasn't sure if you wanted me to publicly acknowledge that fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fommes
The Peacock tracks come from the composer's Steve Bramson's website:
http://www.stevebramson.com/
They're just excerpts unfortunately, in low bitrate.

But where's that alternate main title from?
Is that from the Volume 2 CD, or is it something else?
I don't know, I got it from you! Unfortunately, I don't have Volume 2 to compare but it is 4 secs. longer than that one.
Is the "ragtime" section of the Volume 2 track different from the original? (There is a thread around here someplace where
this was discussed before but I can't find it.) Thanks for the link to Steve Bramson website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inexorable Tash
FYI, here is an excerpt of the liner notes from Music for Television:
Thanks for posting that, Tash. Looks like the 2 people I thought would most appreciate the news about the "Music For Television" CD already have it!
On the DVD sets, the Interactive Timeline on the bonus discs has some music, too. Does anyone know if this is previously released stuff?
Old 11-15-2008, 11:15 AM   #48
InexorableTash
IndyFan

FYI, I've ordered a used copy of the "Young Indy - Satellite 1" CD from the UK. I'll share the juicy details if and when it arrives.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:51 AM   #49
indyclone25
IndyFan

awesome stuff - i would love to get a hold of that music ? i have all four of the young indy soundtracks ---
indyclone25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:54 PM   #50
InexorableTash
IndyFan

I tracked down one more track source: http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/c...p?movieid=7538

Best Of The West
Edel EDL 26572
Disc 1, Track 15
YOUNG INDIANA JONES CHRONICLES: MEXICO 1916 (Pancho Villa's Camp) (03:23)
Laurence Rosenthal

I believe this is what the reference on this page is trying to refer to: http://indianajones.wikia.com/wiki/L...na_Jones_media
(I wasn't able to find that anywhere on teh interwebs, but "Laurence Rosenthal" + "Mexico 1916" FTW)

I'm not seeing that 15-year old German 2-CD release of music from Western movies on ebay.co.uk or amazon.co.uk - surprise! - anyone else have better luck? Be warned - "Best of the West" has been used for other CD releases.