TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > General Indiana Jones Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 05-19-2008, 12:50 AM   #26
The Professor
IndyFan

In the novel, it says that one of the reasons he's tagging along with Indy is so that he could get adopted in the States, since the Japanese killed his parents.
The Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:52 AM   #27
Agent Spalko

I go next, Indy...
Agent Spalko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:55 AM   #28
Avilos
IndyFan

Maybe Willie adopted him. I know it seems unlikely. But I bet after everything she went through Willie went back to the home to States have a more quite life. Being a entertainer she had money and a more stable life than Indy had to be a full time parent.

Last edited by Avilos : 05-19-2008 at 01:00 AM.
Avilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:58 AM   #29
Dust McAlan
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avilos
Maybe Willie adopted him. I know it seems unlikely. But I bet after everything she went through went back to the home to States to leave a more quite . Being a entertainer she had money and a more stable life than Indy had to be a full time parent.
I actually really like that thought.

According to his wikipedia page, he eventually recovers the Peacock's Eye, which was the diamond that Indy was trying to get from Lao as payment for Nurhachi. So he follows in Indy's footsteps at least

Wouldn't it be funny if Willie DID adopt Short Round, and Indy popped in every now and again to say hi? Think of the tension between him and Willie. Man, that would be a great story to tell.
Dust McAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:05 AM   #30
Avilos
IndyFan

Thanks!

In the Ultimate Guide or the Lost Journal it says that Short Round wishes Willie and Indy would adopt him. Obviously Indy did not. Instead of random new parents I like to think Willie became his Mom. By the end of the movie they seem to be getting along really well. As you say she would have allowed Indy to still see Shorty. While other parents may have objected to that. I also figure that eventually Shorty went to Marshall College and studied under Dr. Jones!
Avilos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:40 AM   #31
Uki
IndyFan

That is actually a really nifty, sweet idea, there. Willie and Shorty, living in a nice little house, where she has a garden...
Uki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:56 AM   #32
barranca
IndyFan

Here's an off the wall idea for ya. How about Mutt and Shortie teaming up and continuing to have adventures in ''Archeology''. Checking in with 'Dad' occasionally, for advice, assistance, etc? Mutt is 22/3 Shortie would be 30(ish).
We already know Shortie went on to be an Archeologist, Indy was like a father, great to think that back in the US he continued to 'sponsor him'.
I could live with this sort of a concept for a 'Fifth' Movie.
barranca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:08 AM   #33
Jim Tigernuts
IndyFan

Quote:
Wouldn't it be funny if Willie DID adopt Short Round, and Indy popped in every now and again to say hi? Think of the tension between him and Willie. Man, that would be a great story to tell.

Actually, I think that would be a pretty awful story to tell.
Jim Tigernuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:48 AM   #34
Lao_Che
IndyFan

There needs to be an Abel G Peņa style article that implies this:

Lao_Che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:58 PM   #35
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

Why doesnt Dark Horse make a story on Indy and Short ROund when they went into Nurhachi's tomb?
Nurhachi1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:10 PM   #36
Agent Spalko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurhachi1991
Why doesnt Dark Horse make a story on Indy and Short ROund when they went into Nurhachi's tomb?

In Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb, Wu Han is the one who tells Indy that they must find the Tomb of Nurhachi to which Indy responds "Lao Che can wait."
Old 05-19-2008, 09:16 PM   #37
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Spalko
In Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb, Wu Han is the one who tells Indy that they must find the Tomb of Nurhachi to which Indy responds "Lao Che can wait."

Yeah but Shorty would of had to come with him right?

and how long did Indy no Shorty??
Nurhachi1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:31 PM   #38
Dust McAlan
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurhachi1991
Yeah but Shorty would of had to come with him right?

and how long did Indy no Shorty??
See, that's my only problem with Short Round---he's presented as having known Indy for a while, and that they're really close, but then poof! He's gone with no explanation. Perhaps that's because this is a prequel movie, but come on, they could have thought about that.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:44 PM   #39
Agent Spalko

Considering the fact that Indy has had a history with just about everyone from Mata Hari to Poncho Villa throughout his life I find the fact that Shorty's departure isn't explained not very concerning.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:30 PM   #40
Dust McAlan
IndyFan

Quote:
Considering the fact that Indy has had a history with just about everyone from Mata Hari to Poncho Villa throughout his life I find the fact that Shorty's departure isn't explained not very concerning.
Yyyyyeah, I don't count the Young Indiana Jones adventures. They might have been conceived by Lucas and all, but they're basically "Which famous figure can we have Young Indy rub noses with in this episode?"
Old 05-19-2008, 11:31 PM   #41
No Ticket
IndyFan

It's a nice thought that Willie adopted Shorty... but really, Willie? I don't think she'd adopt Short Round, she didn't even seem to like him that much throughout the movie... to her he was just an annoying kid. I think it's likely that Indy found some adoptive parents for him at some point in time after returning to the states (or maybe even before returning) and that's that.

Who knows if he kept in touch or not. But I too would like to know whatever happened to Short Round.

There is also the unfortunate possibility that he was killed on one of Indy's adventures. You never know, Indy is getting shot at a lot and putting himself (and that kid) in danger along the way. Who knows.

Some interviewer needs to ask Lucas THIS question when interviewing for KOTCS. haha.
No Ticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:36 PM   #42
UltimateManGod
IndyFan

According to the Lost Journal, he's still alive and kicking in 1957. Apparently, he's an archaeologist, and has tracked down the Peacock's Eye to a Hawaiian island. I forget which one exactly. This just strengthens my calling for a Short Round spin off film.

"Hold On to Your Potatoes, Because You're Going for a Ride"
The Hunt for the Peacock's Eye
May 2010
UltimateManGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:39 PM   #43
Dust McAlan
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Ticket
It's a nice thought that Willie adopted Shorty... but really, Willie? I don't think she'd adopt Short Round, she didn't even seem to like him that much throughout the movie... to her he was just an annoying kid. I think it's likely that Indy found some adoptive parents for him at some point in time after returning to the states (or maybe even before returning) and that's that.

Who knows if he kept in touch or not. But I too would like to know whatever happened to Short Round.

There is also the unfortunate possibility that he was killed on one of Indy's adventures. You never know, Indy is getting shot at a lot and putting himself (and that kid) in danger along the way. Who knows.

Some interviewer needs to ask Lucas THIS question when interviewing for KOTCS. haha.
We know he didn't die because he appears later on in the comics, if they mean anything at all. So it's all a matter of what happens in between.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:40 PM   #44
Agent Spalko

The Peacock's Eye would make for a very weak MacGuffin. Much weaker than Sankara stones.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:44 PM   #45
No Ticket
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust McAlan
We know he didn't die because he appears later on in the comics, if they mean anything at all. So it's all a matter of what happens in between.

Ahhhh. He does? I don't remember that. Hmm. Maybe he got some foster parents but was so used to doing things on his own he ran away from home and did his own thing. lol.
No Ticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:46 PM   #46
Dust McAlan
IndyFan

Quote:
The Peacock's Eye would make for a very weak MacGuffin. Much weaker than Sankara stones.
I always felt that the real MacGuffin in the film was the mine itself, and that the Sankara Stones were more happenstance.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:42 PM   #47
davejames
IndyFan

I know it's just a cheesy fanboy wish... but I would have loved to have seen a quick little cameo from Willie and Short Round in the new movie somewhere.

I know they have their haters here, but dammit, I really love those characters.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:46 PM   #48
rowerguy7
IndyFan

right before the end credits:

Willie: Hello Indy.

Shortround: You call him Dr. Jones, doll!
rowerguy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:50 PM   #49
Agent Spalko

Marion: "So you're his ex-girlfriend, huh?"

Willie: "Well, it was a long way to Delhi."

BAM! (Marion punches Willie)

Marion: "I learned to hate you in the last 20 years."

Short Round: "Vewy funny! Vewy funny!"
Old 05-20-2008, 02:11 PM   #50
Indy fan 235
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Ticket
Ahhhh. He does? I don't remember that. Hmm. Maybe he got some foster parents but was so used to doing things on his own he ran away from home and did his own thing. lol.

I know Shorty made at least one (maybe moore) appearance in the Marvel Indiana Jones comic book. There is also the comic from Dark Horse Star Wars Tales (I forget the issue number, does anyone remember?) where Indiana Jones and Short Round are in a North American forest and find the Millenium Falcon crashed while searching for Bigfoot. (I love that story)
Indy fan 235 is offline   Reply With Quote