TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: The Best of the Alien Films?
Alien 43 47.25%
Aliens 41 45.05%
Alien 3 5 5.49%
Alien Resurrection 2 2.20%
Prometheus 0 0%
Alien: Covenant 0 0%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-12-2008, 10:56 AM   #26
deckard24
IndyFan
 
deckard24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,589
Alien without a doubt is the best of the series. The others just never did anything for me, and for the most part felt tired and repetitive. How many times can we see the alien's head come from around a corner, loom over the victim, and see the little mouth extension shoot out, followed by a spray of blood on the wall? Honestly they just got boring in my opinion.

On another note, I actually watched the new AVP: Requiem the other night(It was between that and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly that I rented, but I was too tired and just wanted mindless fun.), any of you guys see it? I'm curious as to what you thought. It had a few decent moments, but once again it got boring to me with the same old stuff happening. One thing is for sure though they didn't hold back on the usual taboo horror victims, they went in a new direction in this one!
deckard24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:58 AM   #27
The Man
IndyFan
 
The Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Mola Ram School Of Cardiology
Posts: 5,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortie
Heh? I'm guessing that's the director of both? I've never heard of him, those were jsut some intellectual films from the top of my head.

He's the black detective in Crash and the hotel owner in Hotel Rwanda.
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:03 AM   #28
The Man
IndyFan
 
The Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Mola Ram School Of Cardiology
Posts: 5,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckard24
Alien without a doubt is the best of the series. The others just never did anything for me, and for the most part felt tired and repetitive. How many times can we see the alien's head come from around a corner, loom over the victim, and see the little mouth extension shoot out, followed by a spray of blood on the wall? Honestly they just got boring in my opinion.

On another note, I actually watched the new AVP: Requiem the other night(It was between that and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly that I rented, but I was too tired and just wanted mindless fun.), any of you guys see it? I'm curious as to what you thought. It had a few decent moments, but once again it got boring to me with the same old stuff happening. One thing is for sure though they didn't hold back on the usual taboo horror victims, they went in a new direction in this one!

What really bugs me about those mash-ups is that Predator was never in the same league as Alien and Aliens, and now we're asked to believe that the former can kick the latter's ass? Sacrilege!
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:10 AM   #29
deckard24
IndyFan
 
deckard24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man
What really bugs me about those mash-ups is that Predator was never in the same league as Alien and Aliens, and now we're asked to believe that the former can kick the latter's ass? Sacrilege!
The first Predator was great sci-fi movie and one of Arnie's bests, just the same as the first Alien was the best of that series. That's where it should've ended, no crossovers.

What I don't get and maybe someone can clarify this for me, is it just the Alien's blood that's acid and not the spit, or both? Because it seems to change over the course of the 4 Alien films and two AVP films. Or maybe I'm wrong?

As for who's more powerful Aliens or Predators, I don't know? The versus arguments are always a no win situation. Which is probably why they always leave it as a stalemate for the most part at the end of the films, ie. Freddy vs. Jason.
deckard24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:12 AM   #30
The Man
IndyFan
 
The Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Mola Ram School Of Cardiology
Posts: 5,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckard24
The first Predator was great sci-fi movie and one of Arnie's bests, just the same as the first Alien was the best of that series. That's where it should've ended, no crossovers.

What I don't get and maybe someone can clarify this for me, is it just the Alien's blood that's acid and not the spit, or both? Because it seems to change over the course of the 4 Alien films and two AVP films. Or maybe I'm wrong?

As for who's more powerful Aliens or Predators, I don't know? The versus arguments are always a no win situation. Which is probably why they always leave it as a stalemate for the most part at the end of the films. Freddy vs. Jason for example!

I think the alien spit was deadly in Resurrection, but I don't remember it being so elsewhere in that series.
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:14 AM   #31
deckard24
IndyFan
 
deckard24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man
I think the alien spit was deadly in Resurrection, but I don't remember it being so elsewhere in that series.
I knew it was in one of the films, but like I said they all start to blend together after Alien. I think this might have been the case in one of the AVP films too.
deckard24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:15 AM   #32
ResidentAlien
Guest
 
ResidentAlien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortie
I don't want to watch a movie with alien in the title to make me think. I'll watch something like 'Crash' or 'Hotel Rwanda'.


If those movies make you "think" than I feel very sorry for you.



Alien is a far more intelligent and original film than either of those phoned-in Hollywood pieces of ****. And the fact that you're biased to a film's content based on its title is entirely irrelevant as well as foolish. Ever hear the phrase "don't judge a book by its cover?"
ResidentAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:13 PM   #33
The Man
IndyFan
 
The Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Mola Ram School Of Cardiology
Posts: 5,339
We are talking Paul Haggis' Crash here, aren't we?
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:41 PM   #34
oki9Sedo
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,181
Its been a long time since I saw it, but there were alot of sexual undertones in Alien, if I remember correctly. The alien's head looking like a phallus was not coincidence, I don't think.

Last edited by oki9Sedo : 05-13-2008 at 01:48 PM.
oki9Sedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:49 PM   #35
|ZiR|
IndyFan
 
|ZiR|'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Mexico / NYC
Posts: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by oki9Sedo
Its been a long time since I saw it, but there were alot of sexual undertones in Alien, if I remember correctly. The alien's head looking like a phallus was not coincidence, I don't think.

Yes. Alien simply oozes sexuality. Even the way Ash tries to kill Ripley is vaguely sexual. They tried to get back that same feeling in the fourth film, but it didn't really work.
|ZiR| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:53 PM   #36
oki9Sedo
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by |ZiR|
Yes. Alien simply oozes sexuality. Even the way Ash tries to kill Ripley is vaguely sexual. They tried to get back that same feeling in the fourth film, but it didn't really work.

I knew it definitely wasn't me being perverted or reading into things incorrectly. There is a very pervasive sense of sexuality in that film.

And yes, when they have Ash attempting to kill Ripley by shoving a rolled-up magazine down her throat, that just had to have sexual undertones to it. Ash himself presumably isn't doing it that way to be perverted given that he's an asexual android, but the screenwriters were definitely trying to get an uncomfortable feeling of sexual "awareness" across.
oki9Sedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 02:00 PM   #37
herr gruber
Guest
 
herr gruber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29c Bowler Hat Lane, Brollyville, U.K.
Posts: 1,192
So, we can conclude that the Alien movies are all about the fear of sexual intrusion. Sort of like the Carry On movies, minus the laughs and with blood.
herr gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 02:02 PM   #38
oki9Sedo
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by herr gruber
So, we can conclude that the Alien movies are all about the fear of sexual intrusion. Sort of like the Carry On movies, minus the laughs and with blood.

If you're being sarcastic you should know sarcasm comes across poorly in print.

If not, you're absolutely right.
oki9Sedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 02:06 PM   #39
herr gruber
Guest
 
herr gruber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29c Bowler Hat Lane, Brollyville, U.K.
Posts: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by oki9Sedo
If you're being sarcastic you should know sarcasm comes across poorly in print.

If not, you're absolutely right.

Consider Alien3. (I know a lot of people don't like to!) Ripley is surrounded by
sexually deprived convicts and a phallic creature. They couldn't have made the idea any clearer.
herr gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 02:12 PM   #40
ResidentAlien
Guest
 
ResidentAlien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by oki9Sedo
Its been a long time since I saw it, but there were alot of sexual undertones in Alien, if I remember correctly. The alien's head looking like a phallus was not coincidence, I don't think.


Lots, yes. That's what my paper was mostly on. JUST finished it 10 minutes ago... It's on the art direction and the sexual undertones therein. It examines Giger and Cobb's styles, etc.


And yeah, Man, I assume we were talking Haggis' awful Crash. Considering his unwillingness to consider Alien anything more than cheap thrills, I figure he's not open-minded enough to even attempt something like the brilliant Cronenberg film, Crash.
ResidentAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:47 AM   #41
Matinee Idyll
IndyFan
 
Matinee Idyll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentAlien
And yeah, Man, I assume we were talking Haggis' awful Crash.

'Haggis' is a clear indicator of the quality of the mans films.
Matinee Idyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #42
Travis85
IndyFan
 
Travis85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 152
Alien and Aliens are both classics Alien 3 felt like a cop out to me, the way most of the surviving cast from Aliens were killed off for no good reason at the beginning of the movie. Alien 4 was pretty strange in some parts, but it was fairly entertaining.
Travis85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:29 PM   #43
MaxPhactor23
IndyFan
 
MaxPhactor23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 753
Aliens 3 is a terrible film. I’d even watch Resurrection before it...and that’s saying something. Honest to god, here is nearly every line in the film: “Oh my f-ing god! It’s a f-ing alien! F^*%^! Get the F&(%$ OUT OF HERE. F&(^&* YOU ALIEN!” The dialogue had to have been written by a sixteen year old boy looking to rebel against his parents. They say the f-word about every other line. It’s a ridiculous film and a shame to the series. It marked the beginning of the downfall of what should have been an amazing series. Sadly we only got two worthwhile films out of the run.
MaxPhactor23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:55 PM   #44
ResidentAlien
Guest
 
ResidentAlien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPhactor23
Aliens 3 is a terrible film. I’d even watch Resurrection before it...and that’s saying something. Honest to god, here is nearly every line in the film: “Oh my f-ing god! It’s a f-ing alien! F^*%^! Get the F&(%$ OUT OF HERE. F&(^&* YOU ALIEN!” The dialogue had to have been written by a sixteen year old boy looking to rebel against his parents. They say the f-word about every other line. It’s a ridiculous film and a shame to the series. It marked the beginning of the downfall of what should have been an amazing series. Sadly we only got two worthwhile films out of the run.


The series had already met its downfall with Aliens.

Sure, the language is gratuitous but remember that...

A. They're sex criminals
B. The word "****" was almost not used at all until the alien started offing people. They were under distress and the profanity only picked up when their distress did.


No, Alien is a much better conceived film than Aliens. Even Sigourney agrees.
ResidentAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:51 PM   #45
MaxPhactor23
IndyFan
 
MaxPhactor23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentAlien
The series had already met its downfall with Aliens.

Sure, the language is gratuitous but remember that...

A. They're sex criminals
B. The word "****" was almost not used at all until the alien started offing people. They were under distress and the profanity only picked up when their distress did.


No, Alien is a much better conceived film than Aliens. Even Sigourney agrees.

You do realize you're pretty much alone there...right? I've met only about three people in my entire life that prefered another alien flick over the second...and they still all enjoyed the second very much. Do you also think that Empire Strikes Back is terrible? I really can't tease though, I think T2 is terrible and vastly prefer the original terminator...of which I think I'm alone on.
MaxPhactor23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:55 PM   #46
ResidentAlien
Guest
 
ResidentAlien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPhactor23
You do realize you're pretty much alone there...right?


And? Just because my opinion is of the minority makes it invalid?

I can't help it that you can't see what **** Aliens is... That's your own blindness... Sorry you must blindly follow in the well-traversed path of the mainstream. I chose to float along my own path.



But hey, cool for you if you want to see Ripley with a big ol' gun in an ill-conceived B-Movie "romance" (read teen-soap flirt-fest), with lots of things gettin' blown up real good.


...I just have better things to feed my mind. Seems Sigourney does too. She's a cool lady like that.

Last edited by ResidentAlien : 05-14-2008 at 06:20 PM.
ResidentAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:44 PM   #47
MaxPhactor23
IndyFan
 
MaxPhactor23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentAlien
And? Just because my opinion is of the minority makes it invalid?

I can't help it that you can't see what **** Aliens is... That's your own blindness... Sorry you must blindly follow in the well-traversed path of the mainstream. I chose to float along my own path.



But hey, cool for you if you want to see Ripley with a big ol' gun in an ill-conceived B-Movie "romance" (read teen-soap flirt-fest), with lots of things gettin' blown up real good.


...I just have better things to feed my mind. Seems Sigourney does too. She's a cool lady like that.

Hm! Slow down there Tex. You’ve got a temper. Daddy never hug you? Perhaps I just think it’s a good movie that just so happens to also be popular. What others think of it doesn’t effect my opinion of it. Are you implying that you’ve never agreed with a majority before? I find that hard to believe.

I can’t help it if you can’t see what **** Aliens 3 is…that’s your own blindness…Sorry you must blindly follow in the less-traversed path of the “nonconformist”. I chose to float along my own path just as much as you.

The irony is that in describing Alien’s…you’ve basically also described Alien. Don’t worry, I’m not laughing at you. Okay, I am! You got me! You're just so angry for seemingly no apparent reason. I never said your opinion is void because you’re in a minority, but your opinion certainly isn’t fact because some washed up she-he actress agrees with it…so stop treating it as such. It's all opinion. No one cares what Weaver thinks. Plus, just so you know, she also apparently found Resurrection brilliant. I think that speaks volumes.
MaxPhactor23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:48 PM   #48
ResidentAlien
Guest
 
ResidentAlien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPhactor23
Hm! Slow down there Tex. You’ve got a temper. Daddy never hug you? Perhaps I just think it’s a good movie that just so happens to also be popular. What others think of it doesn’t effect my opinion of it. Are you implying that you’ve never agreed with a majority before? I find that hard to believe.

I can’t help it if you can’t see what **** Aliens 3 is…that’s your own blindness…Sorry you must blindly follow in the less-traversed path of the “nonconformist”. I chose to float along my own path just as much as you.

The irony is that in describing Alien’s…you’ve basically also described Alien. Don’t worry, I’m not laughing at you. Okay, I am! You got me! You're just so angry for seemingly no apparent reason. I never said your opinion is void because you’re in a minority, but your opinion certainly isn’t fact because some washed up she-he actress agrees with it…so stop treating it as such. It's all opinion. No one cares what Weaver thinks. Plus, just so you know, she also apparently found Resurrection brilliant. I think that speaks volumes.


LOL. The irony is all this is from the guy who has already resigned to hate Indy 4 in other topics and has stated that others definitely hate the idea of a son or an alien or whatever it was. As if your "opinion" were fact.

You sir are a hypocrite. I've given you the benefit of the doubt long enough... but no, I know for sure now. You're an idiot.

But that's all good. You'll never understand why so what does it matter. Blissfully unaware.



And yes... guns and romance really describe Alien 3. Hmm... since there were no guns and no romance in the movie. Yes, that makes sense.
ResidentAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:57 PM   #49
MaxPhactor23
IndyFan
 
MaxPhactor23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentAlien
LOL. The irony is all this is from the guy who has already resigned to hate Indy 4 in other topics and has stated that others definitely hate the idea of a son or an alien or whatever it was. As if your "opinion" were fact.

You sir are a hypocrite. I've given you the benefit of the doubt long enough... but no, I know for sure now. You're an idiot.

But that's all good. You'll never understand why so what does it matter. Blissfully unaware.



And yes... guns and romance really describe Alien 3. Hmm... since there were no guns and no romance in the movie. Yes, that makes sense.

Careful. The last person who talked to me like this was banned.

Apparently you lack the ability to read where I said you just decribed Alien. . . cause I'm the idiot.
MaxPhactor23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #50
ResidentAlien
Guest
 
ResidentAlien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPhactor23
Careful. The last person who talked to me like this was banned.

Apparently you lack the ability to read where I said you just decribed Alien. . . cause I'm the idiot.


*Gasp* I'm scared. You gonna go cry to Finn that I stepped on your little toesies?






Meh. You're such a child.
ResidentAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 AM.