TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: The Best of the Alien Films?
Alien 43 47.25%
Aliens 41 45.05%
Alien 3 5 5.49%
Alien Resurrection 2 2.20%
Prometheus 0 0%
Alien: Covenant 0 0%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-31-2008, 06:59 AM   #76
Benraianajones
IndyFan

Alien is my favourite one.
Benraianajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 07:38 AM   #77
Ignatius Stone
IndyFan

Alien and Aliens are great movies, fully deserving of their status as classic SF films. I still have my Kenner 12" Alien action figure.
When I first saw Alien 3 back when it was released, I was pretty disappointed with it, but then I watched the extended edition on DVD a few years ago and learned to appreciate it more.
Alien Resurrection however, is truly an abysmal movie.
Ignatius Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:27 AM   #78
Crusade>Raiders
IndyFan

I was talking about the movie until your ego got the best of you. Just shut the hell up and let it go.

Anyway, back on-topic before the pending rebuttal, its kinda sad how the Aliens franchise has to be reduced to mild thrills in AvP. Predator was badass in that one(Lasers, rockets, GIANT NINJA SHRUIKENS!), but I didn't care for any of the humans(Hell, I can't remember any of there names), which was a big point for the Alien/Aliens/Predator films.
Crusade>Raiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:06 AM   #79
Somnium
IndyFan

Alien must be one of the best sci-fi horror movies out there, so that’s of course my favorite of the saga. Aliens comes next, although it's just ok. A childhood favorite, but nothing too impressive anymore, and I'll never watch that awful director’s cut again. Alien 3 is just really bad, although it had potential. The alien also looks stupid and not very threatening. The fourth one is actually better than the third one in what it set out to archive, which seems not to be an Alien film at all. It has some nice Jeunet oddity.
Somnium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:18 AM   #80
Crusade>Raiders
IndyFan

^But the director's cut has the sentry machine guns. Very suspenseful stuff when the ammo getting lower and lower, although I do agree with the unnecessary footage near the beginning, its a fair trade-off in my mind.
Crusade>Raiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:10 PM   #81
Shortie
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurhachi1991
Alien was the best of the series no questions asked
It depends on if you're saying entertaining (IMO, a big NO) or the best thought provokingly. Alien is the most thought provoking horror film, it's probably the only one. But it's not the most entertaining.
Shortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:38 PM   #82
ResidentAlien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortie
Alien is the most thought provoking horror film, it's probably the only one.

Oh the ways to spell ignorant... S H O R T I E

Horror is perhaps the most intelligent of all film genres--just because the **** being cranked out of Hollywood is vapid doesn't make the entire genre so.
ResidentAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:16 PM   #83
Shortie
IndyFan

Eh, maybe the early ones like Frankenstein & Wolf-man. But I don't see Nightmare on Elm Street being very thought provoking.
Shortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:31 PM   #84
ResidentAlien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortie
Eh, maybe the early ones like Frankenstein & Wolf-man. But I don't see Nightmare on Elm Street being very thought provoking.

Ah yes, because it's alright to disregard 70 years of films.

And A Nightmare on Elm Street is brilliant. A luminary of the genre. It's above you, it seems.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:13 PM   #85
DocWhiskey
IndyFan

Yup. Wow....
DocWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:32 AM   #86
agentsands77
IndyFan

There have been a lot of good, intelligent horror films. I've never seen A NIGHTMARE ON ELM'S STREET - never really been interested - so I can't speak to that example. But there's a ton of clever work that's been done in that genre.

Polanski's ROSEMARY'S BABY has always been a favorite of mine.
agentsands77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:34 AM   #87
Ignatius Stone
IndyFan

The horror genre can often produce the most insightful, thought provoking and relevant films of all.
It can also however, produce peurile trash by the truckload.
Ignatius Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:46 PM   #88
ResidentAlien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatius Stone
The horror genre can often produce the most insightful, thought provoking and relevant films of all.
It can also however, produce peurile trash by the truckload.

Same could be said for any genre.

Puerile? Like all this garbage Hollywood's cranking out? Like the newest Indiana Jones film? Yes, any genre is prone to producing tripe.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:41 AM   #89
The Man
IndyFan

A Prequel? Meh. With Scott? Yay!*

Quote:
Ridley Scott has had an on-again off-again on-again love affair with doing a new “Alien” movie though – and unlike Cameron, never denounced his interest. Fox chairman Tom Rothman tells IESB that the studio is looking at doing a prequel to 1979’s “Alien” – which means no Sigourney Weaver - and Scott could be involved.

Quote:
"There's been some talk”, says Rothman, speaking at the “X-Men Origins : Wolverine” Premiere in Arizona. “Ridley Scott, Ridley is right now working on Robin Hood, but I think he's toying with the idea and that would be great for us. I mean, it's always been a matter of, really, if you can get the originator to do it that would be the greatest thing, so I've got my fingers crossed, all of them."

*Maybe...
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:56 AM   #90
AndyLGR
IndyFan

It looks like the Alien prequel is on. This appeared on the BBC entertainment page over the weekend:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8178676.stm

It is thought the prequel will tell the story of the events leading up to the original film, in which the crew of a commercial towing ship respond to a distress signal - only to discover it was generated by an empty ship that was meant to warn them.

The film will be written by Jon Spaihts, who has also penned Keanu Reeves' space film project Passengers, after he pitched his idea for the reboot to Twentieth Century Fox and Sir Ridley's production company.
AndyLGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:28 AM   #91
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Exclusive Ridley Scott MTV Interview on Alien Prequel

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/artic...38/story.jhtml
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:32 PM   #92
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

Re-writes...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45947
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:41 PM   #93
Willie
IndyFan

I liked Alien the best out of the four films and Aliens is a close second. I didn't care for the either the third or fourth installments.
Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:55 PM   #94
ResidentAlien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo

David Lindelof?

Joy-- so expect convoluted exposition and zero pay-off...

Lost sucks.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:55 PM   #95
teampunk
IndyFan

i find all of them enjoyable, but i don't really love any of them. if any are on tv, and i don't have anything else to do, i'll watch.
teampunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:00 AM   #96
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentAlien
Luckily my paper is mainly about HR Giger and his contributions to the series (mainly...) so I really only need to cover Alien and Alien 3. Of course they dropped him and used almost none of his designs for the third film but he was at least supposed to contribute.
A few days ago, I went to the Giger museum in Gruyères, Switzerland. (Res, you would LOVE it!) The museum is in a castle. No photos are allowed inside but there was some way-out work in there. Sketches, paintings, sculptures, furniture and some props from "Alien". We even had a drink at the Giger bar across the street.

One room was dedicated to his work on "Alien" including sketches and a maquette from "Alien 3" (a 'bambi alien', it was called). There were 2 full sized aliens along with one of the heads with working jaws. It had a chin-strap from a football helmet on it and you could see all the interior mechanism. There were also a maquette and a model of the big, dead being in the pilot's seat (can't remember what it's commonly referred to as). Great to see the detail.

I fully recommend a visit but it's NOT for the squeamish. Disturbing images abound! For anyone who's interested, here's a link to the museum's website: http://www.hrgigermuseum.com/index2.php?option=tour
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:03 PM   #97
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

speaking of Alien design...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/46757
Old 10-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #98
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

Ridley vs. Fox

http://chud.com/articles/articles/25...CEY/Page1.html
Old 10-13-2010, 03:35 PM   #99
TheMutt92
IndyFan

Fox loves the script, Natalie Portman interested, and a possible PG-13 rating...

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/10/12/...an-interested/

Quote:
Breaking news: Damon Lindelof frigging rules. Reports are coming in that the co-creator of Lost has just turned in his script for the Untitled Alien Prequel for director Ridley Scott and the executives at 20th Century Fox love it. Why do they love it? Well, because Scott originally budgeted the film around $150 million and Lindelof’s script has a distinct lack of large action set pieces, thereby bringing that number down. Plus the script reportedly has a more PG-13 edge in terms of language and off camera violence - much like the original 1979 film. And finally, Natalie Portman has met with Scott’s team and is at the top of their list for the lead female role of “a female Colonial Marine general.”

Quote:
The thinking is that if the original Alien were released today, minus the F-bombs, you could still get a PG-13. Alien is a very Jaws-ian movie: There’s no sex, and while there’s lots of violence, most of it is off-camera. Maybe you’d have to cut away from certain scenes two seconds earlier, but it could be done.
TheMutt92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #100
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMutt92
Fox loves the script, Natalie Portman interested, and a possible PG-13 rating...

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/10/12/...an-interested/

A PG-13 still sounds limiting. I'd like to see Aliens with no holds barred, complete with all the pervy metaphors that Giger threw at them. Wouldn't like to see it all softened for a younger audience.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote