TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > General Indiana Jones Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 06-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #26
Indy's brother
IndyFan

I can't remember my old account password to view that, is there another link for it, perhaps? Anyway, here is a consolation prize for those of us who want to watch a weird music video featuring Shia. Heck, this one is probably better anyway.
Indy's brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #27
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Found it elsewhere Moe, but due to it's NSFW nature, I won't post a link that's available to minors. It requires a herculean amount of mental fortitude to get through all 8 minutes of this, so I didn't. I watched a minute and a half of it, then flipped through, and it just got weirder as it went. Which is saying something. Now don't get me wrong, I'm no prude, and I like some stuff that is artistically questionable at best, but this? Seriously? Am I simply another uncouth and uncultured big-mac-pounding american joe-six-pack, or is this just a load of crap being weird for the sake of being weird. If I'm wrong to be dismissive, tell me what I'm missing here.

Edit: Son of Indiana Jones my left foot.

Last edited by Indy's brother : 06-18-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #28
Moedred
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy's brother
Son of Indiana Jones my left foot.
Maybe it skips a generation.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #29
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred

Of course, this was after Connery was Mr. Universe, and James Bond, so I'll give him some slack for Zardoz. Shia hasn't done enough "manly" things in his career to get a pass from me on this.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #30
Brooke Logan
IndyFan

I've never seen Shia in anything else so I can't compare his performances, but I don't think he seemed like a bad actor. I don't know if he was the best choice for Indy's son, but I really doubt any other actor could have made it much better. I think the problem with the movie was more the script, because it had a lot of good actors in it (Karen Allen, Cate Blanchett, John Hurt) but none of the characters were all that great to me.

I liked the villains the best but even they weren't up to par with the other movies' villains.
Brooke Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:55 AM   #31
Dr.Jonesy
IndyFan

You people gotta see this guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0mUW...feature=relmfu
Dr.Jonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:32 AM   #32
Dr.Jonesy
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred

Oh dear...

Dr.Jonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:02 PM   #33
Moedred
Administrator

I think reports of bridge-burning are wildly exaggerated, though this overlooked quote was interesting:
Quote:
Company and LaBeouf's The Necessary Death of Charlie Countryman, now in postproduction, were financed by L.A.-based Voltage Pictures. "These dudes are a miracle," he says. "They give you the money, and they trust you -- [unlike the studios, which] give you the money, then get on a plane and come to the set and stick a finger up your ass and chase you around for five months."
Old 08-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #34
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

Shia recently told the Hollywood Reporter that he dropped acid for the film The Necessary Death of Charlie Countryman.

If true, perhaps this particular experience has created the change in him that he is trying to make more and more prevalent.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ntryman-365735
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #35
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Shia plagiarizes comic, and also his response

As words fail me, I will let this article speak for itself. Follow the link for a compilation of Shia's tweets on the matter.

Quote:
Shia LaBeouf made a short film about critics. That in itself was enough to earn an avalanche of attention when the film, "HowardCantour.com," debuted online yesterday, available for a wide audience for the first time after premiering at Cannes in 2012. Critics are totally unaccustomed to anyone looking at them, much less to being portrayed by Jim Gaffigan and Thomas Lennon as they mouth pitch perfect lines like "I love these publicists—they always spring for the good cookies." "HowardCantour.com" could have been a train-wreck vanity project from an actor who'd always seemed *****ly to critics, but instead it was interesting and thoughtful. The reception was surprisingly warm. That is, until the accusations of plagiarism began.

This being the Internet, with much better access to Google than a theater at Cannes, it took no time at all for baffled writers to realize LaBeouf's film was a very close adaptation of a comic strip by Ghost World and Art School Confidential author Daniel Clowes, called "Justin M. Damiano." Same characters, different names, same lines of dialogue—the connection is unmistakable. And it didn't take long for the uproar to get back to LaBeouf, who then password-protected the film and issued a series of tweets by way of apology.

Ready for yet another twist? That first part of the apology—”Copying isn’t a particularly creative work”—was itself copied from Yahoo Answers, as pointed out by Buzzfeed's Jordan Zakarin. The writer also got in touch with Clowes, who said he’d first heard of LaBeouf’s adaptation yesterday morning, when friends sent him the link: “I was shocked, to say the least, when I saw that he took the script and even many of the visuals from a very personal story I did six or seven years ago and passed it off as his own work. I actually can’t imagine what was going through his mind.”

Shia LaBeouf may be an amateur filmmaker, but he's not an amateur filmmaker who gets to claim naivete. He has been acting since he was 12. He has worked for Steven Spielberg, Michael Bay, Oliver Stone, Robert Redford, and Lars von Trier. He is surrounded, both professionally and privately, by people who know perfectly well that even when a newspaper article inspires you to write a story, you give it credit. It is possible that LaBeouf didn’t tell any of the dozens of people who worked on “HowardCantour.com” about Clowes’s comic. But it seems impossible that LaBeouf himself never supposed that his adaptation was the kind of thing that demanded credit.

Then again… how could he have possibly thought he’d get away with it? Nobody said anything when the film screened at Cannes, sure, but that’s an incredibly small audience compared to the Internet, where no indie comic is too small to be defended by its ardent fans. Clowes’s original comic appeared in the anthology collection The Book of Other People, a charity effort that directed all proceeds to Dave Eggers's 826NYC non-profit. By adapting the comic without permission LaBeouf isn’t taking money away from the charity or Clowes himself; it is a fairly victimless crime of omission. But for a guy who can’t seem to catch a break, between feuding with Alec Baldwin and getting into a bar brawls, it can’t help to cross a beloved indie artist who did his work for charity. It’s a shame, too—the film is actually pretty good.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:34 PM   #36
Moedred
Administrator

So Shia plagiarized Daniel Clowes, the original screenwriter for the dramatization of the making of the Raiders Adaptation... meta comes full circle.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #37
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Shia names his beef

According to this interview with Marilyn Manson entitled "Marilyn Manson Tells Us What Shia LeBeouf Named His *****", there is an answer to this question that has plagued fans since Shia's metric rise I'll save you all the trouble here, the answer is "Richard Dreyfus".
Old 12-27-2013, 12:25 PM   #38
Pale Horse

Dick Dry Fuzz. Nice.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:50 AM   #39
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

You know you've made it when presenter Jim Carrey makes you a 2014 Golden Globe punchline... I guess he can retire now...
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:52 PM   #40
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo
You know you've made it when presenter Jim Carrey makes you a 2014 Golden Globe punchline... I guess he can retire now...

In other news, I continue to look like an asshat for ever defending this guy...
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:11 PM   #41
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Don't be so hard on yourself. We barely remember who he was.

Quote:
“I AM NOT FAMOUS ANYMORE,”

But he still loves you.

Quote:
“My love goes out to those who have supported me.”
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:03 PM   #42
The Drifter
IndyFan

Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
What with all the Shia LeBeouf hate around these parts, I figured you guys may love this.
The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:16 PM   #43
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Holy crap that was a funny read. I don't have what I would consider a deep-seated hatred of the guy (by Indyfan standards, anyway), but he annoys me enough. Enough to have thoroughly enjoyed that. Best Cracked article I've read in quite a while.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:16 PM   #44
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drifter
What with all the Shia LeBeouf hate around these parts, I figured you guys may love this.

I'm mad at the guy too, but that's just laughably, unreasonably vitriolic.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:51 PM   #45
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:

On the upside, he's a much better actor in this one.

Playing the nerd comes naturally. He'd be great playing himself in a biopic.

Quote:

This is to lower your blood pressure. The next line runs a risk of rageurysms.

Yay!!! Kittens!!!
Old 01-19-2014, 11:13 PM   #46
Mickiana
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongisking
I'm mad at the guy too, but that's just laughably, unreasonably vitriolic.

Why was it unreasonable? He was caught out plagiarising someone else's work. That's theft. How or why did he not credit the source of his efforts? We can guess at that.

The article is vitriolic and creatively and justifiably so. What are the alternatives - that Shia doesn't get caught (impossible) or that he doesn't commit this legal and artistic travesty in the first place?
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:03 AM   #47
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiana
Why was it unreasonable? He was caught out plagiarising someone else's work. That's theft. How or why did he not credit the source of his efforts? We can guess at that.

The article is vitriolic and creatively and justifiably so. What are the alternatives - that Shia doesn't get caught (impossible) or that he doesn't commit this legal and artistic travesty in the first place?

Maybe because the article is acting like LaBeouf is the absolute worst thing in existence right now. It's completely unbelievable how negative that article is. And yes, I'm aware Cracked is trying to be funny while telling news stories, but sheesh. And putting aside my obvious ire at them using a Mutt still to compliment a running gag...

Next they'll make one called, "Why Shia LaBeouf is No Better than Osama bin Laden".

See? Even when I'm pissed off to hell and back at Shia, I still defend him from the obnoxious haters. Truly pathetic, I am. *Yoda chuckle*
Old 01-20-2014, 12:12 AM   #48
Indy's brother
IndyFan

Quote:

I agree. If an actor who wasn't attached to Indiana Jones had made the same missteps, I would expect this exact sort of backlash online. Moreso, infact. Imagine if, say, Christine Aquilera had done all of the same things. The internet response would be HUGE. This guy seems to have no self-awareness whatsoever. Celebrity is a privilege, and part of the job is handling yourself in the media. Shia Hasabeef with being called out on his own BS, a better actor would pretend to possess humility with a bit more believability.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:13 AM   #49
Mickiana
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongisking
Maybe because the article is acting like LaBeouf is the absolute worst thing in existence right now. It's completely unbelievable how negative that article is. And yes, I'm aware Cracked is trying to be funny while telling news stories, but sheesh. And putting aside my obvious ire at them using a Mutt still to compliment a running gag...

Next they'll make one called, "Why Shia LaBeouf is No Better than Osama bin Laden".

See? Even when I'm pissed off to hell and back at Shia, I still defend him from the obnoxious haters. Truly pathetic, I am. *Yoda chuckle*

The article does not make him out to be the worst thing in the world. The worst thing in the world is in Room 101. Try to refrain from such exaggeration as it won't bolster your argument.

In this case the humour employed in deriding Shia is heavily tinged (i.e. soaking in it) with the more important aim of pointing out how wrong he was in plagiarising someone else's work.

And as for whether he is worse than Osama BL, well, Osama did used to help out the CIA! I don't think Shia did anything that important! I joke there of course, but no one is comparing him to a terrorist force, except maybe the person he's stealing from.
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:33 AM   #50
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
And as for whether he is worse than Osama BL, well, Osama did used to help out the CIA! I don't think Shia did anything that important! I joke there of course, but no one is comparing him to a terrorist force, except maybe the person he's stealing from.

Maybe change the analogy to Saddam Hussain?

Oh, wait...

The media demands something to kick and something to adore. They'll go to the extreme in both cases because the dunce in the street likes things to be set out nice and clearly. The black and white, the good and the bad, because grey areas are just a little bit too taxing.

In this case, Shia just keeps on giving a justification for the kicking he's getting.

The only hope he has of self-reclamation is doing something like opening a sanctuary for orphaned kittens.