TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Video Games
User Name
Password

Old 06-09-2009, 10:03 PM   #1
Col. Detritch
IndyFan

The Emperor's Tomb

I personal like ET but I dislike the chane of villians towards the end. Von Beck was a wondrful villian, a history, a scr and bad eye and he was a typical Indy villian- A Nazi. Changing the primary foe to Kai Ti Chan is clever but unnessesary . If they had made him a more likable person to begin with his betaral and such would have worked better and I would have enjoyed it more. Still the plot is solid, besides the 'drug-trip' Indy takes in the end (a rip-off of Infernal Machine's end). The game play is desent and is a enjoyable game worth owning
Col. Detritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:06 PM   #2
Skipper
IndyFan

Yeah, I didn't like the levels at the end very much. Too much supernatural stuff. My favorite level is Prague.
Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:05 AM   #3
Morning Bell
IndyFan

The last few levels of the game were a bit strange, although it reminded me of some of the novels, especially The Interior World. Overall I love the game and still go back and play it every now and then. I felt like it did a good job of capturing the look and feel of the films while allowing you the freedom to really play and explore like Indy. It's held up well and it's my second-favorite Indy game, right behind FoA.
Morning Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:51 AM   #4
Col. Detritch
IndyFan

Well put. I'm not saying I don't enjoy the game, because I do, but the last levels were a little too stange, even more than Infernal Machine.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:05 AM   #5
LawgSkrak
IndyFan

Anybody who owns this game and absolutely hates it, you can send your copy to me.
LawgSkrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:14 PM   #6
UIMJ
IndyFan

I think it's a decent game, myself. It's just hard to really embrace it with the faded colors and choppy graphics. The problem is that I got this game well after adapting to PS3 quality games for some time, so while I like the game, it was like taking a big step back.

This is much the same feeling I have about Staff of Kings as well. Staff of Kings is a superior game graphically and with better lighting effects, but TET is a better game overall with a better Indy model and gameplay/weapons system.
UIMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:15 AM   #7
bennihana123
IndyFan

I think I'm at the Castle... It's been so long since I've played it.
bennihana123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:19 AM   #8
doesitmatter
IndyFan

I FNALLY Got through Prague!

I'm having the hardest time with this game. The gameplay is very slippery. When I'm in a fight I end up punching in the air while my opponent is behind me. And the jumping levels are excruciating.

Still I feel I should finish this before I get Staff of Kings.
doesitmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:57 AM   #9
Col. Detritch
IndyFan

I didn't knowtice the graphics issue until I played newer games then I hit me, their not that good. If only they used the style they used for the tranistion clips. You watch, from Prauge to Istembul (excuse my spelling) the blimp looks fantastic.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:34 AM   #10
Col. Detritch
IndyFan

I was looking through Google Images resently and stumbled upon a poster of Emperor's Tomb. It's quite sad, It had great potental. Allow me to explain:
-Von Beck- Great villian with Vogel qualitys (we don't need Kai Ti Chan)
-Emperor's Tomb- The Tomb itself could have made a fantastic artifact. But again, mummy emperor, actually invisable traps and a strange relm with it's own dragon
-Prauge- It was filled with fluff. The clock tower. Why and just the fact it took forever to complete was shocking
-The Krackin- What the hell was Indy doing fighting a sea beast for no reason with a golden spear gun. My one question, was it nessesary?
-Kai Ti Chan fortress on the island- No potental. Why- they had a Nazi base, wasn't it good enough. I mean the scenery changed. I couldn't tell were still on the island. I thought we went to China
-Fighting the Female guards- Once again, not nessesary. Since when did indy beat up women. Not cool!
-Bulky discolored Indy- What was so hard about making Indy less wide and bulky with correct colored pants and hat?
-More use of the Nazi's- Other than making Von Beck almost obsolete, so were th Nazi's. We were fighting Kai Ti Chan goons and 'spirit' things??? most of the time. Why were the Nazi's in it anyway if that's how it was going to be
- And finally the main offender Kai Ti Chan- What the Hell?! Was this stupid or what. "Lets replace a Indyesque villian with a weird Chinese war monger and lets give him a ponytail!" seriously I would have kept him good or made him better

And thats the tip of the iceburg! It could have been much better

Last edited by Col. Detritch : 07-07-2009 at 02:39 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:44 AM   #11
Col. Detritch
IndyFan

I forgot to mention the mutant Nazi you fight in Prauge. What... The... Hell! That was horrible. I don't see any trouble in putting a regular soldier in his/her/it's place! The fact that the Nazi's have a mutation facility in a castle in Prauge is beyond me!
Old 07-07-2009, 03:41 AM   #12
Trennas
IndyFan

I tried to play it a few weeks ago, and I got really upset with the save system. In the first level, at the ivory hunter camp, you have to cross a rope bridge but you normally fall down halfway right? Well, I missed one jump previously to the point that would trigger the bridge breaking animation and I fell to my death.

I was like.. ehr.. stunned at the stupidity of that. If I had made the jump I would have fallen down into the river as well! Me falling to my death three feet from the point where I was supposed to fall down just doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever
Trennas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:05 PM   #13
Col. Detritch
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trennas
I tried to play it a few weeks ago, and I got really upset with the save system. In the first level, at the ivory hunter camp, you have to cross a rope bridge but you normally fall down halfway right? Well, I missed one jump previously to the point that would trigger the bridge breaking animation and I fell to my death.

I was like.. ehr.. stunned at the stupidity of that. If I had made the jump I would have fallen down into the river as well! Me falling to my death three feet from the point where I was supposed to fall down just doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever

Here-here!

P.S. I forgot one other part that really bothered me. That silly Mirror of Dreams ritual and the Harpey Boss fight that ensures!
Old 07-10-2009, 03:15 AM   #14
Trennas
IndyFan

Those never really bothered me that much, as they still made somewhat sense in the story. The entire Prague level though..
Old 07-10-2009, 08:40 AM   #15
Gabeed
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trennas
Those never really bothered me that much, as they still made somewhat sense in the story. The entire Prague level though..

No kidding.
With quotes from that level such as, "I need to get up in that tower, and find that crystal," you wonder whether you missed a cutscene somewhere.
Gabeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:05 AM   #16
Trennas
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabeed
No kidding.
With quotes from that level such as, "I need to get up in that tower, and find that crystal," you wonder whether you missed a cutscene somewhere.

You had that feeling JUST with the Prague level?
Old 07-12-2009, 02:10 AM   #17
Col. Detritch
IndyFan

What about the dull drieness of Indy's voice in tyhis game. No expression, no enthusiasm no atitude. It's like the actor turned up on the day said his lines and left. Back to his day job... as a politition! (lol I'm kidding!or am I?)
Old 07-12-2009, 02:27 AM   #18
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Detritch
I was looking through Google Images resently and stumbled upon a poster of Emperor's Tomb. It's quite sad, It had great potental. Allow me to explain:
-Von Beck- Great villian with Vogel qualitys (we don't need Kai Ti Chan)
-Kai Ti Chan fortress on the island- No potental. Why- they had a Nazi base, wasn't it good enough. I mean the scenery changed. I couldn't tell were still on the island. I thought we went to China
-More use of the Nazi's- Other than making Von Beck almost obsolete, so were th Nazi's. We were fighting Kai Ti Chan goons and 'spirit' things??? most of the time. Why were the Nazi's in it anyway if that's how it was going to be
- And finally the main offender Kai Ti Chan- What the Hell?! Was this stupid or what. "Lets replace a Indyesque villian with a weird Chinese war monger and lets give him a ponytail!" seriously I would have kept him good or made him better

These complaints don't really make sense to me. Is it somehow necessary for there to only be Nazis as villains in an Indiana Jones story? And I don't see what's wrong or not Indyesque about a Chinese villain at all, or why there shouldn't be a Chinese fortress, especially since it was a much different environment than the Nazi submarine base.

Yeah, it's a game that basically fails on the story and exposition fronts. But I think it was very smart to not do the easy thing and just deal with Nazis throughout the entire game.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:44 AM   #19
Col. Detritch
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
These complaints don't really make sense to me. Is it somehow necessary for there to only be Nazis as villains in an Indiana Jones story? And I don't see what's wrong or not Indyesque about a Chinese villain at all, or why there shouldn't be a Chinese fortress, especially since it was a much different environment than the Nazi submarine base.

Yeah, it's a game that basically fails on the story and exposition fronts. But I think it was very smart to not do the easy thing and just deal with Nazis throughout the entire game.

Attila, I have no problem with a Chinese villain, there is nothing non-Indyesque about it. I just had a problem with how they potraied him. He was a weak villain in comparison to Von Beck and a little less 'convincing' then he could have been i.e. the pony tail, the female body guards (Not forgetting it's the 30's and Indy fights them) and the over the top actions and costumes.

All I was saying was that the Nazi's were in it for three seconds (figuratively) and then gone, why introduce them? They didn't even have to use Nazi's, the Jap's could have easily been incorperated into a story based in China before the war and Kai Ti Chan could have been sided with them as many Chinese did or he could have simply used them, but with more effect and over more time; unlike the Nazi's had in the used story.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:15 PM   #20
Indy's brother
IndyFan

I haven't played it since it came out 7 years ago....until yesterday. It took me about 30 seconds to notice how superior it is to SOK. Brilliant use of the score, and I don't really care about the dated graphics and touchy controls (so far anyway). Enjoying myself thoroughly.
Indy's brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:45 PM   #21
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy's brother
I haven't played it since it came out 7 years ago....until yesterday. It took me about 30 seconds to notice how superior it is to SOK. Brilliant use of the score, and I don't really care about the dated graphics and touchy controls (so far anyway). Enjoying myself thoroughly.

Yeah, I admit I absolutely love the score for Emperor's Tomb. I wish they had done that for SoK instead of cutting and pasting scores from the films and even from the YIJC. That and I thought that the story was handled a lot better than SoK.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:53 PM   #22
dr.jones1986
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Detritch
Attila, I have no problem with a Chinese villain, there is nothing non-Indyesque about it. I just had a problem with how they potraied him. He was a weak villain in comparison to Von Beck and a little less 'convincing' then he could have been i.e. the pony tail, the female body guards (Not forgetting it's the 30's and Indy fights them) and the over the top actions and costumes.

All I was saying was that the Nazi's were in it for three seconds (figuratively) and then gone, why introduce them? They didn't even have to use Nazi's, the Jap's could have easily been incorperated into a story based in China before the war and Kai Ti Chan could have been sided with them as many Chinese did or he could have simply used them, but with more effect and over more time; unlike the Nazi's had in the used story.

I agree, they should have used the Japanese instead of Germans, would have made more sense geographically speaking, as well as in the orginality department.
dr.jones1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:47 PM   #23
Lego Indy
IndyFan

Just bought the game. Love it. Good story, lots of weapons, intriguing puzzles. Much better than Staff of Kings.
Lego Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:21 PM   #24
IndyBr
IndyFan

Emperor's Tomb is great, but it could indeed be so much more...
The final levels are terrible, and final levels are suposed to be the better ones. The Tomb in the Secret of the Sphinx novel was better.

I still don't understand how the hell did Indy get out of Vega's tower!

But anyway... I still love and recomend the game. The soundtrack is perfect!
And the game manual is terrific, very Indy.
The SOK manual in the other hand... well...
IndyBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:16 PM   #25
indyt
IndyFan

Where are you guys getting the game from? Ebay, amazon?
indyt is offline   Reply With Quote