User Name
Password

Old 06-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #26
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur
Development Hell opened its maw and spewed forth this horrifying tidbit --

Drop by here for all of the horrifying news.

If this movie actually made it into theatres, I would be required to stay very, very far away. Even my morbid curiosity has limits, and this is beyond it. Looking across their filmography nothing stands out as making them even remotely able to bring a large scale action-adventure picture to the big screen.

It's almost safe to say that a live-action adaptation of Uncharted will never see the light of day. This despite the fact that all the heavy lifting has already been finished for them.

I dunno, I quite enjoyed the wit and characters of that Green Hornet movie, which I think he wrote too, right? Don't get me wrong, it is indeed a bizarre choice, but my personal affection for Rogen will keep me from calling this a mistake for now.
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:06 AM   #27
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Every time I think the 'net has successfully managed to kill this with fire, it manages to shamble back to life.

Guitar Wolf is not amused.

I'm not surprised, though. With Sony actively turning their more popular vid-ya games into movies it was only a matter of time before Uncharted was brought up again. Unfortunately, it seems like we won't be able to reach escape velocity from Seth Rogen's greasy fingers.

Why? Well, because Sony has now tapped Seth Gordon to helm the action-adventure franchise. If you're unfamiliar with the name, he brought such virtuoso projects like Horrible Bosses and Identity Thief to a cinema near you! I'm generally not one to pigeonhole somebody into a certain genre, but you can tell the tone Sony is shooting for with their latest choices for screenwriters and directors.

It's just jokes, man.

There isn't a single action flick on the man's resume. In fact, everything he's put his name to is rather forgettable. Hope springs eternal, but if this project goes forward with the current names attached then I don't expect much for the final product. Per the article, they're going right into casting which means that script from the guy they've now tapped to write Bad Boys 3 must have lit a fire under somebody.

Full article: Seth Gordon to direct 'Uncharted' for Sony

Relax! It's good!

Last edited by Le Saboteur : 02-05-2014 at 03:12 AM.
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:29 PM   #28
The Stranger
IndyFan

I would only be interested in this thing if Sam Worthington was cast as Drake, and Michael Bay was directing. I'm serious.
The Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:23 PM   #29
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stranger
I would only be interested in this thing if Sam Worthington was cast as Drake, and Michael Bay was directing. I'm serious.

Coming Summer 2015, Michael Bay Presents...

UNCHARTED

STARRING Mark Whalberg as Nathan Drake (wait, that was a real rumor, wasn't it?), John Voight as Victor Sullivan, Megan Fox (or any other dime-a-dozen supermodel) as Elena Fisher/Chloe Frazer.

OFFICAL PLOT SYNOPSIS:

If adventure has a new name, it must be Nathan Drake! He's your typical snarky, bad-joke-making, womanizing pretty-boy action hero, but with a twist: instead of fighting giant robots, he's looking for treasure! Along with his trusty Old Man Stereotype sidekick Sully and unlikable/too-hot-to-possibly-be-real love interests Elena Fisher and Chloe Frazer, Drake is hot on the trail of the greatest ancient weapon in history: The Bombshell!

This weapon has the potential to turn every woman on earth into a smoking hot babe that can be lovingly shot from naughty angles by Director Michael Bay! Along the way, there will be dangers such as explosions, racial stereotypes, LOTS of shots of sunsets, explosions, an insufferable amount of flag-waving and loving long-shots of military hardware, explosions, incredible detailed yet ultimately souless CGI, and most deadly of all, EXPLOSIONS!

Coming to a Theater Near You!

I'd totally go see that movie...
Old 11-13-2014, 02:33 AM   #30
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFedora

There have been at least four or five scriptwriters attached to this project over the years, with Mark Boal being the latest. Boal has only four credits to his name -- I've seen two of them. Guess which! -- but they're all heavily dramatic outings. It seems to be an odd choice for a rather light-hearted action-adventure romp, but even odder given the complete contrast with the the current choice for director.

I'll say it again, though: It really isn't that hard to put one of these types of movies together. I don't have any direct insight into Sony's thought process, but the core of a movie is there. If Drake's Fortune is going to be adapted to the screen, then they only really need to work on the villain's reveal. Everything else is already in place.

The really interesting news from this new announcement, however, is that Chris Pratt was offered the role of Nathan Drake and passed on it.

Just gender swap it already!

Old 11-13-2014, 02:39 AM   #31
kongisking
IndyFan

I suppose in a way, its sensible of Pratt to pass. Star-Lord is a very similar kind of character to Drake, so he might not want to be typecast. Also, he's got Jurassic World coming up, which could balloon into a multi-film role for him too.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:14 AM   #32
TheFedora
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongisking
I suppose in a way, its sensible of Pratt to pass. Star-Lord is a very similar kind of character to Drake, so he might not want to be typecast. Also, he's got Jurassic World coming up, which could balloon into a multi-film role for him too.

First off, sorry I forgot there was a main film thread for this one...and I should have used search again. But yeah. Pratt passing this up, he has Guardians of the Galaxy and Jurassic World, both of which he may be tied to multi-picture deals for. I think i read somewhere Jurassic World especially is planned for sequels so that could be something.
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:09 AM   #33
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:

Briefly speaking, very few actors are as versatile as they would like to believe. Pratt, as (un)fortunate as it may be, is another of those that won't be doing any heavy dramatic lifting. He should enjoy his new found leading man status.

That said, Pratt passing on the role can be summed up in one one word, time. Sony understandably wants an Uncharted flick in production as soon as feasibly possible, but they don't have a script they (or Marky Mark?) like(s) and it'll be about six months before Mr. Boal has something to show for his efforts given his current obligations. On that timetable, production won't commence until nine-months to a year out and Pratt will be knee deep in the next Guardians flick by then. Marvel's output means that they head back into filming almost immediately after the last production has ended (and why a lot of actors are unwilling to sign up).

If Sony had their ducks lined up, I'm almost certain that Pratt would have jumped at the role.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:27 PM   #34
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur
Briefly speaking, very few actors are as versatile as they would like to believe. Pratt, as (un)fortunate as it may be, is another of those that won't be doing any heavy dramatic lifting. He should enjoy his new found leading man status.

That said, Pratt passing on the role can be summed up in one one word, time. Sony understandably wants an Uncharted flick in production as soon as feasibly possible, but they don't have a script they (or Marky Mark?) like(s) and it'll be about six months before Mr. Boal has something to show for his efforts given his current obligations. On that timetable, production won't commence until nine-months to a year out and Pratt will be knee deep in the next Guardians flick by then. Marvel's output means that they head back into filming almost immediately after the last production has ended (and why a lot of actors are unwilling to sign up).

If Sony had their ducks lined up, I'm almost certain that Pratt would have jumped at the role.

I dunno, we haven't even seen him in JW yet, and he's said he plays that quite straight. We should wait for that to come out to see if he really isn't meant for varied roles. I can believe he has range.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:53 PM   #35
TheFedora
IndyFan

Now we reached the stage where people are slapping 'exclusive' on leaked sony emails....

Mark Wahlberg front-runner to play Nathan Drake.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:29 PM   #36
jsarino
IndyFan

^^^Ugh, I'm not feeling it if Wahlberg does become Drake. Pratt would've been good...too bad he declined. Not even Bradley Cooper?
jsarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:35 PM   #37
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarino
^^^Ugh, I'm not feeling it if Wahlberg does become Drake. Pratt would've been good...too bad he declined. Not even Bradley Cooper?

Agreed, Wahlberg I can't even take seriously anymore.

"WhaaAAAt? NoooOOooooOOO!"
Old 12-23-2014, 10:58 PM   #38
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Agreed, Wahlberg I can't even take seriously anymore.

"WhaaAAAt? NoooOOooooOOO!"

Yeah, I mean the guy even got his ass handed to him by a teddy bear.

Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 11:19 PM   #39
The Stranger
IndyFan

I'm really starting to get worried about the current situation with these latest Hollywood action/adventure blockbusters, 'cause I personally think that as of now the business is kind of lacking the right personalities. Simply put, there are no more Harrisons, no more Bruce Willises, no more Kurt Rusells, Mel Gibsons, Stallones, Tom Cruises, whatsoever. They are all getting too old to continue doing this kind of movies for long, and the new generation just doesn't have the faces nor the talents. To my eyes, there are really no more actors nowadays to decently play these iconic action roles in the near future. When I wrote about Sam Worthington, last time, I was not joking. I personally consider him to be one of the very few guys in Hollywood that could still be believable as action heroes. And one of the very few guys that actually have the roughness and charisma to pull it off. Others just don't.

Mark Whalberg. Bradley Cooper. Chris Pratt. Nathan Fillion. Name any other. I think they would all be plain terrible casting choices, and none of them could look other than irritating in the role of Drake. This whole situation is getting damn stale, because as far as I know the Uncharted movie is the only Indiana Jones style adventure film that's being planned up for the next four or five years at least. And to screw that up badly would be a gargantuan mistake. I'm worried.
The Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:16 PM   #40
jsarino
IndyFan

Looks like this may end up in development hell...

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/375...changes-course
jsarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 04:58 AM   #41
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

I have a certain arrangement up the Khyber Pass...

Another year and another writer. Why is this so damn hard? If Sony is determined to adapt Drake's Fortune then it's already written! It really isn't that hard to put to paper -- trim the game-like aspects and tighten up the action sequences, then you're halfway to filming.

Anyway. This time around Sony has tapped Joe Carnahan (Narc) to pen the script. I've only seen one of his movies, but he's pretty active in both teevee with The Blacklist and film with Bad Boys 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carnahan
“Archaeology today is in itself an antiquity, but that world has always fascinated me. Especially when you go to a museum today and wonder how a piece got there to begin with,” he said. “Plus, the property itself is so popular that it was hard to turn down an opportunity to work on it.”

Variety asked Carnahan if he'd also step into the director's chair, but opined that it would be impossible unless production was pushed back. He's currently committed to bringing Bad Boys 3 to the silver screen, so he's only contracted for scribbling duties.

Poor Sony. At this point they're going to be the only major studio without a significant presence in the pulp adventure revival.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:57 PM   #42
Moedred
Administrator

Script by David O. Russell has been floating around for about 5 years, here's a review.
http://scriptshadow.net/screenplay-review-unchartered
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:06 AM   #43
Indy86
IndyFan

How about letting the creators of the games make the movie? Just an idea.
Indy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 03:58 PM   #44
TheFedora
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred
Script by David O. Russell has been floating around for about 5 years, here's a review.
http://scriptshadow.net/screenplay-review-unchartered

Wow, I read that review...and the screenplay doesn't sound good.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:15 AM   #45
DoomsdayFAN
IndyFan

If you forget that he's a little old for the role, Tom Cruise would be perfect for Nate.
DoomsdayFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:56 PM   #46
curmudgeon
IndyFan

According to Deadline, Shawn Levy ("Reel Steel", the "Night at the Museum" movies) has been brought on to direct, and the film is apparently on the fast track.

Sony haven't set any summer movies for 2018 yet, so I wouldn't be surprised if it lands there.
curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:46 AM   #47
TheFedora
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon
According to Deadline, Shawn Levy ("Reel Steel", the "Night at the Museum" movies) has been brought on to direct, and the film is apparently on the fast track.

Sony haven't set any summer movies for 2018 yet, so I wouldn't be surprised if it lands there.

Yeah I could see Uncharted in June or August
Old 11-03-2016, 03:15 PM   #48
Moedred
Administrator

Unearthed

Elsewhere, for director Doug Liman...
Quote:
Unearthed is the first of a two-book series to be published next year by Disney’s Hyperion. Its written by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner, the bestselling authors of These Broken Stars, This Shattered World, and Their Fractured Light.

Novel is a YA thriller described as Lara Croft Meets Indiana Jones, set in deep space. Jules Addison and Amelia Radcliffe join forces in a tomb-raiding race on a newly discovered planet to unravel the secrets of an ancient, long- extinct civilization — only to uncover a revelation that could spell the end of the human race.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:25 AM   #49
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarino
Looks like this may end up in development hell...

And hell's flaming maw spat forth...

Sweet mother of mercy.

It's Maui time!
Old 01-09-2017, 11:02 PM   #50
IndyBuff
IndyFan

The games are already like playing through an interactive movie. I wish they'd just leave this one alone.
IndyBuff is offline   Reply With Quote