Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Old 09-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #26
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongisking
I take it this is not historically accurate?

Next we'll be told that Davy Jones played the maracas in an old boy band, never had a squid head (or a locker), and that sexy mermaids never existed?

All my dreams shattered in one fell swoop.

At least Jack Sparrow's real. He supped from the fountain of youth and will be standing in the Minneapolis mayoral election in November.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:02 PM   #27
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith

At least Jack Sparrow's real. He supped from the fountain of youth and will be standing in the Minneapolis mayoral election in November.

Whoa. No matter what my profile says, I actually live in the Twin Cities area of Minnesota. I have never heard of this guy.

Now I know who I'm votin' for! Arrrgggghhhh!
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #28
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur
And now they're supposed to have a director to helm the picture. Deadline is reporting that the Norwegian duo behind the much lauded Kon Tiki have received their blessings from Depp & Bruckheimer.
That bodes well for fans of this series. I just saw "Kon-Tiki" a few days ago and thought it was very well done.
Quote:
You're correct about the Navy. In the first film, they were the primary thorn in Will and Jack's side. Didn't help that Commodore Norrington was playing Javert in that film.

But in the first two sequels, the East India Trading Company (yes, they are referred to on screen as such) are portrayed as a fanatical, oppressive company that is rapidly taking over settlements in the Caribbean and indiscriminately hunting down and executing pirates everywhere, as well as people allied with them or, well, anyone who is an inconvenience in any way.

I take it this is not historically accurate?
Ya think? That pretty much describes the Dutch West India Company.

You must admit, Kong, that the name is kinda stupid. If Disney felt the need to fiddle around with the HEIC then they should have, at least, dropped the "East" from it (unless, of course, these fictional tales put the Caribbean somewhere in the Indian Ocean).

Better yet, they could have just used the Dutch West India Company and set the stories during one of the many Anglo-Dutch wars. Picture the pirates & company duking it out when a British Navy ship shows up, cannons blazing both parties with grapeshot. Double the enemy factions, double the fun!

Maybe they can do that for the 5th movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smiff
Next we'll be told that Davy Jones played the maracas in an old boy band,
"Hey, hey! We're The Monkees!" R.I.P. Davy Jones, who passed away last year.

There's also this Davey Jones (complete with earring & eyepatch). Ziggy plays guitar but can he wield a cutlass?

Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #29
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
There's also this Davey Jones (complete with earring & eyepatch). Ziggy plays guitar but can he wield a cutlass?

No, but he can officiate a break dance fight...will that work, in a Disney film? (keeping it PG and all)

Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:07 PM   #30
curmudgeon
IndyFan

Depp seems to think that Pirates 5 could be the last going by recent comments.

Quote:
As for “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales,” Johnny confirmed that Joachim Ronning and Espen Sandberg, who were behind Norway’s Oscar- and Golden Globe-nominated “Kon-Tiki,” are still attached to direct.

“Everyone involved wants the script to be right and perfect,” Johnny explained. “So we have gone on to do other things (in the meantime). We are still going to do the film together. I enjoy them immensely. They are super talented. They have a great sense of humor. I think they have a really fun approach to what we are going to do with the next ‘Pirates.’ Very happily and proudly, I have welcomed taking part in the story and working directly with the screenwriter (Jeff Nathanson)—he and I. It’s working out really well that way.”

He added, “So I have high hopes for that ‘Pirates 5’ because if that’s really the last one, which it probably is, I feel that we owe it to the audience who went and saw the films so many times. We’ll do it right and end it on a high note.”
curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:37 PM   #31
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

Will officially be released in 2017.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/07/disn...for-july-2017/
Forbidden Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:30 AM   #32
AndyLGR
IndyFan

Thats quite a long delay from the previous rumoured release date.
AndyLGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #33
curmudgeon
IndyFan

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/bloom-re...104819293.html

Might Orlando Bloom be on his way back to the series?
Old 09-09-2014, 07:58 PM   #34
TheFedora
IndyFan

Heard that as well. I think they realize that Jack Sparrow needs to have a foil with him in these movies, otherwise it just feels...I don't know i'll put it like this. I have had the fourth movie for a few years, never watched it once. Just didn't feel like it I guess.
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:45 AM   #35
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFedora
Heard that as well. I think they realize that Jack Sparrow needs to have a foil with him in these movies, otherwise it just feels...I don't know i'll put it like this. I have had the fourth movie for a few years, never watched it once. Just didn't feel like it I guess.

As much as I love Jack, it was On Stranger Tides that made me realize that he is most effective as a kind of amoral, scheming anti-heroic sidekick to more straight-arrow heroes. Making him the main character resulted in a movie where Jack's antics felt forced and indulgent.

Also, on repeat viewings of the trilogy, I have noticed how the writers completely flipped the essence of Jack's characterization in the sequels. In the first film, he's a brilliant, intelligent and competent pirate who puts on a wacky, eccentric front to baffle his foes until he gets an opening, but starting with Dead Man's Chest, Jack really is a cartoony goofball, with delusions of grandeur. And it does unfortunately make him look like more of a bastard in the sequels at times, since his worst moments feel all the more petty and based on ego, not as part of a long-term plan to win the day.

But hey...characterization marches on.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:31 PM   #36
Pale Horse

Quote:

But hey...characterization marches on.

This will come back to bite you, you know.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:29 PM   #37
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

Quote:
As much as I love Jack, it was On Stranger Tides that made me realize that he is most effective as a kind of amoral, scheming anti-heroic sidekick to more straight-arrow heroes. Making him the main character resulted in a movie where Jack's antics felt forced and indulgent.

Fair point. Though I don't really see why Bloom has to be that straight-arrow foil; can't they create any new interesting characters?

Makes as much sense as saying a certain franchise with an archaeologist "has to have Nazis, be set in Egyptian deserts, have a biblical artifact and contain John Rhys-Davis as the sidekick!"
Old 09-11-2014, 07:30 AM   #38
AndyLGR
IndyFan

Its not a series of films that I feel invested in like Indy, neither are they films that I could dig out and watch on a reasonably regular basis. But I enjoy watching them when they are on TV. I thought the last one was decent, its the only one I went to the cinema to watch and it didn't bother me that they ditched the sidekicks from the first 3. In fact it was refreshing in a way that they didn't use them. I think my only gripe with OST was the Last Crusade inspired ending.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:02 AM   #39
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Eye
Fair point. Though I don't really see why Bloom has to be that straight-arrow foil; can't they create any new interesting characters?

Makes as much sense as saying a certain franchise with an archaeologist "has to have Nazis, be set in Egyptian deserts, have a biblical artifact and contain John Rhys-Davis as the sidekick!"

That wasn't my point. I was advocating for Sparrow being the sketchy supporting character to a more straight hero in general. I'd ideally like them to not drag Will back in the picture (the whole idea of him becoming captain of the Dutchman was that if he unfailingly devoted himself to his job for ten years, he'd be allowed to go free..and also avoid being a squid-man ), but hey, if they come up with a clever way to make it work, it could be neat.

And Pale Horse, those kinds of cryptic statements only confuse me. I know I'm not as intelligent as you, but can I ask what you're getting at?
Old 09-11-2014, 01:00 PM   #40
Pale Horse

Quote:
And Pale Horse, those kinds of cryptic statements only confuse me. I know I'm not as intelligent as you, but can I ask what you're getting at?

You're plenty intelligent. That's why we keep you around. But I can forsee already that your statement will be used down the line agaisnt you. In some relevant, or completely irrelevant way.

Because, why not? We're the Raven.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:05 PM   #41
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

Javier Bardem in talks to play a villain.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/ja...-5-1201329903/
Old 10-14-2014, 09:24 PM   #42
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Eye
Javier Bardem in talks to play a villain.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/ja...-5-1201329903/

Seeking vengeance against England for trading him to pirates that tortured him, no doubt...

In seriousness, this guy's great, I hope he's in it.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:19 AM   #43
AndyLGR
IndyFan

Agreed, I think hes a good choice for the villain. It looks to be his niche after No Country and Skyfall.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:52 PM   #44
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
In seriousness, this guy's great, I hope he's in it.

It's only good if Bardem is allowed to cut loose or, like Ian McShane and Chow Yun Fat before him, it's a wasted bit of casting. I'm still not sure how you not let the biggest movie star in the world not do anything.

That said, it's Rum Day! Outside of a fruity concoction and balmy temps what better way than to celebrate with news about everybody's favorite rum besotted pirate.

Sean Bailey, President of Production, introduces Depp and confirms the appearance of Orlando Bloom as Will Turner, Barden as Capitan Salazar, and Geoffrey Rush as Barbossa. Also introduced are Kaya Scodelario and Brenton Thwaites as pair of scallywags out to seek an ancient treasure that can unleash an everlasting curse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jack Sparrow
Grape! Grape! It bounced, don’t pick it up. I hate grapes. I despise the rotten little things.

We also have our first official look at the flick's logo courtesy of the stuido's Twitter account!

Perhaps it's time for a thread title update?
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:12 AM   #45
Pale Horse

Indeed. Some. Clean up first.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:36 PM   #46
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

The first trailer for the 5th outing of Sparrow & Crew has finally hit the 'net!

Bardem's Captain Salazar could be as interesting as Davy Jones originally was.
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:28 PM   #47
Moedred
Administrator

A brief Wikipedia edit showed
Quote:
Brenton Thwaites as William Henry "Henry" Turner III
then back to just "Henry." As with Indy 4, is this another worst-kept secret? Also have 20 years passed since Pirates 3, not 10?
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:52 PM   #48
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur

Bardem's Captain Salazar could be as interesting as Davy Jones originally was.

How much have you lost on a doubloon toss? I'm kinda done with the Javier Weirdness.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:30 PM   #49
curmudgeon
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred
A brief Wikipedia edit showed

then back to just "Henry." As with Indy 4, is this another worst-kept secret? Also have 20 years passed since Pirates 3, not 10?

I don't think the series ever occurred in real-time.

Despite their release span I've always assumed 1-3 took place relatively close together in-universe, with maybe the whole trilogy taking place over a year and a half to two years.

Well, except for the 10 year time-jump in film 3's post credit scene. Which I suppose they could use as an excuse for an almost adult son.

If the rumor's true...
Old 10-03-2016, 06:21 PM   #50
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

There is a 0% chance the kid in the teaser is not the son of Will and Elizabeth. It's really a waste of time to even contemplate an alternative.
Udvarnoky is online now   Reply With Quote