TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Gear and Props
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: What Indy jacket do you own?
Wested 29 54.72%
Todd's Costumes 10 18.87%
Steele and Jones 3 5.66%
Bill Kelso 0 0%
Other (post about it below) 11 20.75%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2016, 09:42 AM   #301
Major West
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drones33

So I assume your new Raiders is authentic lamb? How does the otr compare to the skin they use for the customs would you say? Any discernible difference or pretty much the same do you think?

Yes the authentic lamb. Very similar to the custom authentic lamb. Basically the same, thickness. Softness, colour etc. I suppose the only difference might be age. A custom is brand new made and an OTR could have been hanging on the rack for few weeks. The one I got seemed very fresh, like a brand new custom.

OTR on the right and my custom TOD on the left. ToD looks slightly lighter but it's a trick of the light as it's closer to the window in the picture.

Major West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:28 AM   #302
Drones33
IndyFan

Went to a costume party last weekend. Was great to be able to wear the gear...
Drones33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:24 AM   #303
micsteam
IndyFan

Looks really sharp Drones !!
micsteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:26 AM   #304
micsteam
IndyFan

The jacket looks perfect but a little long for Raiders cut, did you order it a custom length ?? Also is this a Hero or custom and in what hyde/skin ?? I really like it !!
Old 08-21-2016, 09:25 AM   #305
Glenville86
IndyFan

Looks great Drones!

micsteam - I order all my Indy jackets longer in the front and back. Just not a fan of jackets too close to my belt. Much of it has to do with the cut on modern chino and jeans. If I wore real Indy pants, my jackets would look like car coats..... As it is with my normal wear, the backs sit about an inch or so below the opening of the back pockets.
Glenville86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:23 PM   #306
micsteam
IndyFan

Hi Glenville86,
I agree with your choice to order the jackets a little longer than standard Raiders cut but I think when they were putting production together for Raiders they didn't want a slinging gun holster like Han Solo in Star Wars, they kept it closer to the hip. If you watch 30's-40's pictures everybody wore their holsters close to the hip and I feel they didn't want the jacket to hang on the holster or go over it, filming purposes. IMHO ... What do you think ??
Old 08-21-2016, 03:03 PM   #307
Glenville86
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by micsteam
Hi Glenville86,
I agree with your choice to order the jackets a little longer than standard Raiders cut but I think when they were putting production together for Raiders they didn't want a slinging gun holster like Han Solo in Star Wars, they kept it closer to the hip. If you watch 30's-40's pictures everybody wore their holsters close to the hip and I feel they didn't want the jacket to hang on the holster or go over it, filming purposes. IMHO ... What do you think ??

Agree 100%. The Raiders jacket is my favorite one and I have many. I have a few that sit higher lengthwise than most of them. I still wear them but not as much as the slightly longer ones. The film design for the costume is wonky to fit the gear IMO. I have had 3-Wested Hero jackets (goat, lamb, horse) and have only kept the horsehide as the fit is too much for me but the horsehide seems to be the best fit.
Glenville86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:45 AM   #308
Major West
IndyFan

Quote:
The jacket looks perfect but a little long for Raiders cut,

Depends which part of the film you're looking at. In the opening South America scenes the jacket appears to be about 3 inchs below his belt.

The Hero jacket will apear longer or shorter at the front or back depending on where it sits on your shoulders, and when zipped up it will appear to be shorter.

The Wested Standard Raiders pattern is different to the Hero pattern and IMO, looks better if it's not too short. Wheras the Hero jacket definitely looks better if it's a shorter length.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:09 AM   #309
Drones33
IndyFan

Thanks guys.

Quote:
The jacket looks perfect but a little long for Raiders cut, did you order it a custom length ?? Also is this a Hero or custom and in what hyde/skin ?? I really like it !!

Its a custom made Raiders in authentic lamb, with a couple of Hero modifications, (nickel zip, gussets etc) based heavily on the specs of one of Major West`s jackets. I ordered it with a slightly longer back length at 26", specifically for the reasons that Glenville mentions; so that it sits just below the belt of modern cut chinos/jeans (which are lower on the hip than I like, tbh) but the overall effect works really well and I`m happy with the result. Its become the jacket I wear the most, at least until the chillier months come along.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:21 AM   #310
Dr.Sartorius
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major West
Depends which part of the film you're looking at. In the opening South America scenes the jacket appears to be about 3 inchs below his belt.

The Hero jacket will apear longer or shorter at the front or back depending on where it sits on your shoulders, and when zipped up it will appear to be shorter.

The Wested Standard Raiders pattern is different to the Hero pattern and IMO, looks better if it's not too short. Wheras the Hero jacket definitely looks better if it's a shorter length.

I read the Peru jacket was actually the shortest at 23 inches.
Dr.Sartorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 03:25 AM   #311
Major West
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sartorius
I read the Peru jacket was actually the shortest at 23 inches.

A hero jacket at 23" will be the same as 25" Standard cut. When you look on screen the jacket is hanging over his gun holster unzipped. Also, don't forget the slouching shoulders on a Hero cut will make back length longer.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:05 AM   #312
fridgeraider
IndyFan

Hi, picked up my first jacket. Wested in lamb off eBay.

Was a bit shiny so using what I had available rubbed it done with brake cleaner first, then a light rub with a scotch pad. Just a little patina!

Hope you like.
fridgeraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:54 PM   #313
Dr.Sartorius
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridgeraider

Was a bit shiny so using what I had available rubbed it done with brake cleaner first, then a light rub with a scotch pad. Just a little patina!

Hope you like.

I think I remember seeing that on there. Good snag. What was the final price?
Old 09-04-2016, 01:28 AM   #314
fridgeraider
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sartorius
I think I remember seeing that on there. Good snag. What was the final price?
I just took the buy it now option, as I had made up my mind I wanted it, and didn't want to risk it, as I've lost out before. It's a standard raiders in a 40 and fits well. there is enough space for a jumper in the autumn so I'm happy with it.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:51 AM   #315
Dr.Sartorius
IndyFan

Quote:
I just took the buy it now option, as I had made up my mind I wanted it, and didn't want to risk it, as I've lost out before. It's a standard raiders in a 40 and fits well. there is enough space for a jumper in the autumn so I'm happy with it.

how much though?
Old 09-05-2016, 04:20 AM   #316
Major West
IndyFan

I was just looking on ebay recently. The only used westeds I saw were about 75-100 so a good win there. Looks good.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:04 AM   #317
fridgeraider
IndyFan

I coughed up 100. Felt that was good value compared to buying new. Plus I liked the fact it has a natural bit of wear on it on the edges here and there. If I was buying new, I'd go with a custom in the dark brown novapelle, I reckon.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:04 PM   #318
Dr.Sartorius
IndyFan

Wow...nice job. Dark brown novapelle is nice. I'm saving up for a Temple of Doom in nubuck.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:53 AM   #319
Major West
IndyFan

Has anybody here used a wire brush on their jacket? I understand it was one of the two things used to distress the original Raiders jackets. I bought one the other day and briefly scraped it down my test jacket. It does leave scratch marks no doubt about it.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:36 PM   #320
Drones33
IndyFan

Quote:

Hope you like.
Looks great. The scotch pad makes all the difference I think, and doesn't damage the stitching the way sandpaper does.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:15 AM   #321
fridgeraider
IndyFan

I used scotch pad very very lightly but it worked well.

If I'm not mistaken your tod is on eBay. Lovely leather that one. I'd be having it if I hadn't just bought one
Old 09-21-2016, 04:53 PM   #322
Major West
IndyFan

Streamlining your collection I see. Which ones are you keeping?

I cant bring myself to sell any of mine, unless it doesn't fit.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:13 AM   #323
Drones33
IndyFan

Ah yes, thinning out the herd. It's tough but has to be done, no more room in the wardrobe, got to be ruthless so I'm selling the TOD and the Skyfall. ( Last in/first out )
TOD; probably my favourite fit of all the Indy jackets, particularly across the back and shoulders, but I recently saw a couple of pics from behind of me wearing it and Just looks way too long. Fine from the front, but at the back it hangs about level with the bottom of my back pockets. Should've ordered about an inch and a half shorter. And the pockets. Screen accurate, yes, but pretty useless. Too small for my phone, wallet, can't get my hands into the hand warmers... Shame really; great fit, love the Novapelle, beautiful jacket overall, just not quite right.
Skyfall; again really nice fit, though very different from the Indy jackets. Very snug like a 30's motorcycle jacket, and I was very happy with it at first.
But the collar... Really long and pointy, it sits very flat and reaches almost to the shoulder seam, which is fine if a bit 70's disco, but as I walk the ends of the collar bounce up and down. Like a little pair of flapping wings. Drives me krazy. I've tried wetting and re-shaping them, even considered having them sewn down, but no. Flappy little wings. Might not bother everyone, bothers me though. Again, a shame cos there are aspects of it that are tremendous .
So, the plan is, I'm going to see if Wested are able to put together something of a hybrid for me; TOD jacket ( bit shorter this time) with Raiders Hero pockets and zip, and possibly a half belted back like the Skyfall jacket. Something that's quite unique and personal.
That leaves me with, as well as a little extra space in the wardrobe, a Hero, a custom Raiders, a custom LC, and the hybrid jacket that I plan to order. PLUS... When I was on holiday in the States I bought a Cockpit A2 in heavy duty antique lambskin. Absolutely stunning. Could not resist. I'll stick a few photos on Instagram .
Old 09-22-2016, 06:31 PM   #324
Major West
IndyFan

The pockets are a bit annoying on the ToD jacket. Otherwise it looks good.

It's a bit of a dilemma though, about how do you get a practical ToD jacket without altering accuracy too much. Raiders hero pockets might look too big. I would probably ask them to extend the outside pockets slightly and add the optional extra inside pocket (with zip). I might do that myself one day.

The jacket I'm wearing the least at the moment is my OTR Last Crusade, it's a nice fit but since finding out it's the least accurate of all the Wested jackets I've slightly gone off it. Collar is not accurate for LC or CS. Same for the pockets. Only the press stud identify it as LC. I knew it didn't look right, but I was never a scholar of the LC jacket until more recently. I hope Wested release the LC Hero soon, then I'll buy one. Otherwise you need to order a custom with a detailed number of modifications to get more accuracy. I'm not the biggest accuracy nut, but the pattern isn't right.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:48 PM   #325
Makel37
IndyFan

My own leather jacket

https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...78&oe=587AE8DE
Makel37 is offline   Reply With Quote