TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Gear and Props
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: What Indy jacket do you own?
Wested 32 56.14%
Todd's Costumes 11 19.30%
Steele and Jones 3 5.26%
Bill Kelso 0 0%
Other (post about it below) 11 19.30%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2016, 04:12 PM   #101
Major West
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenville86
Very nice jacket - congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drones33
Great looking jacket Major, you wear it well.

Thanks both
Major West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 03:21 PM   #102
Dr.Sartorius
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major West
I took these the day after I got the jacket. By comparison my lambskin jackets feel like slipping on a cardigan now.

Raiders Pre-distressed Hide. Click the thumbnail for bigger pic:

If you don't already own a LC jacket I think this skin would be a good option. As above though, I really like the jacket. It's thicker, a little heavier, but the more it's worn the more it breaks in. Already had some 'that's a cool jacket' looks from people.

Looks great....What is the back length?
Dr.Sartorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:09 AM   #103
Major West
IndyFan

It's just under 25.5 inches. According to my measurement.

Was out wearing my Wested Last Crusade jacket the other day. I've only had it about 5 months so it's still looking quite new. None of the wear you see in
the film.

Click for larger pic:

The one I bought 'in store' when I visited wested. I tend to use both the front pockets in these jacket. If you look closely at the picture you can see they have stuff in them.

Last edited by Major West : 01-27-2016 at 04:20 AM.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:37 AM   #104
Indy McFly
IndyFan

I am a big last Crusade fan as well. I bought mine pre-distressed, and then wore at all over Britain for a week so it started to get the worn in look. It takes time to get a good look and you cannot be afraid to get down and dirty with the jacket.
Indy McFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:22 AM   #105
Major West
IndyFan

Indeed. My instinct is to take care of clothing but I'm embracing the bad weather at the moment. Deciding which jacket needs the punishment before I leave the house and wearing them for as long as possible.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:27 PM   #106
Indy McFly
IndyFan

Quote:
Indeed. My instinct is to take care of clothing but I'm embracing the bad weather at the moment. Deciding which jacket needs the punishment before I leave the house and wearing them for as long as possible.

Dont forget Indy basically got his butt kicked wearing his jacket. It took the pounding.
Indy McFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:53 AM   #107
Drones33
IndyFan

Quote:

Definitely the way to go. I tend to want to do the same: keep my stuff safe and be overly careful with it. Once I`d made the decision to let my jackets get as beaten up as possible however, it was very liberating. These days my novapelle Last Crusade jacket is never off my back, come rain or come shine. Great.
Drones33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:42 PM   #108
Glenville86
IndyFan

I have a dark brown novapelle Raiders jacket being delivered by DHL Monday. They turned this around in about 2-weeks from the order date. I have had a couple of the Wested LC jackets and prefer the Raiders ones better. Out of my multiple Indy jackets, almost all are Raiders. My LC by S&J fits very well and looks great. The Wested ones have really weird looking very pointy collars that I don't like.
Glenville86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 04:48 AM   #109
Major West
IndyFan

I have two last crusade jackets. One Goatskin and one Authentic Lambskin (pictured above) The collar just seems to hang better and retain the correct memory on the lambskin one. The goatskin collar just sits flat and as a result looks quite pointy. Incidentally the Authentic Lambskin is the thicker leather of the two jackets, maybe that factors into it. Obviously the goatskin is the bulletproof material but it's half the thickness of the authentic lambskin, which feels more substantial and is the more comfortable. As a personal recommendation to people considering the two I would say get the authentic lambskin. Keep seeing posts where people have put their goatskin jackets through hell to age them a bit. Just get the lambskin in the first place. Just IMO.

Novapelle seems to be gaining popularity as a skin and it looks really good from what I've seen. I saw on the wested instagram page they were talking about it and Drones33 jacket looks great as well. Will probably get a jacket in that skin myself at some stage.

Last edited by Major West : 01-30-2016 at 04:56 AM.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:39 AM   #110
Drones33
IndyFan

Thanks Major, the novapelle is really nice. Very thick and heavy but extremely soft too. I thoroughly recommend it as a skin.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:20 PM   #111
Drones33
IndyFan

Quote:
I have a dark brown novapelle Raiders jacket being delivered by DHL Monday. They turned this around in about 2-weeks from the order date. I have had a couple of the Wested LC jackets and prefer the Raiders ones better. Out of my multiple Indy jackets, almost all are Raiders. My LC by S&J fits very well and looks great. The Wested ones have really weird looking very pointy collars that I don't like.
I'll be very interested to read your views on your new novapelle when it arrives
Old 01-31-2016, 02:42 PM   #112
Glenville86
IndyFan

Quote:
I'll be very interested to read your views on your new novapelle when it arrives

Will do. I think this is a tough skin to get a consistent color in. I have read some people say it is very dark brown and others say it was much lighter than expected.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:21 PM   #113
Drones33
IndyFan

New Wested Hero...This one fits!

As I mentioned earlier in this thread I decided to get rid of the Hero I`d bought that was too big and go down a couple of sizes smaller than my usual, ( I really think Wested should give this as a recommendation for the Hero), and the difference is remarkable. It arrived a couple of weeks ago looking very new and pristine. Since then I soaked it in the shower and wore it until it was almost dry. Then a couple of days later when I was sure it was completely dry I gave it a pretty heavy coat of Pecards, left it for a couple of hours before wiping off the residue, and I`m really pleased with the results. Its conformed to my shape nicely and, more importantly in my book, darkened down a couple of shades.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:33 AM   #114
Glenville86
IndyFan

Quote:

It came today. The dark novapelle is not very dark at all. It looks very much like my US Wing Import Steerhide jacket but more grayish than tan. Leather texture looks the same. Not sure I like the novapelle leather that much. The fit and finish is very well done.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:39 AM   #115
Drones33
IndyFan

Quote:
It came today. The dark novapelle is not very dark at all. It looks very much like my US Wing Import Steerhide jacket but more grayish than tan. Leather texture looks the same. Not sure I like the novapelle leather that much. The fit and finish is very well done.
I`d heard that the dark brown can look quite grayish. Are you disappointed with it or do you think its a keeper?
Old 02-02-2016, 11:31 AM   #116
Glenville86
IndyFan

Quote:
I`d heard that the dark brown can look quite grayish. Are you disappointed with it or do you think its a keeper?

Not sure yet if it will survive the clothing donation people who come around every 3-months. I could treat it but honestly have done a few jackets with pecards and it is just a bit time consuming and messy. Maybe it will look different if I wet it down in the shower.

Also got an on sale US Wings USA made Legend in striated lamb. Nice jacket. Nice dark color and a heavy lamb. Funny thing is I cannot see very much in the way of striations in the leather but suppose they will develop some with wear. Seems funny after having the BK and S&J that are way heavy in striations.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:32 AM   #117
Glenville86
IndyFan

I gave the jacket a good wetting in the shower. It is almost dry this morning. Appears to have darkened it somewhat.

Bill
Old 02-03-2016, 03:52 AM   #118
Major West
IndyFan

Quote:
and I`m really pleased with the results. Its conformed to my shape nicely and, more importantly in my book, darkened down a couple of shades.

Looks excellent

So you feel it needed to be darkened down then. I've ordered a Temple of Doom jacket in Shrunken Lambskin that might arrive this week, just wondering what to expect.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:46 PM   #119
Drones33
IndyFan

Quote:
Looks excellent

So you feel it needed to be darkened down then. I've ordered a Temple of Doom jacket in Shrunken Lambskin that might arrive this week, just wondering what to expect.
From what I can gather the colour of the shrunken lamb can vary a bit. When it arrived my hero had an almost chestnut brown colour. Bit lighter than the pre distressed cow. Still great, it's just that I always see the Raiders jacket as quite dark. A soaking darkened it enough for my taste. Lovely leather too.
I'll be keen to see your TOD, I think that particular cut will really lend itself well to shrunken lamb.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:48 AM   #120
Major West
IndyFan

Yes I see what you mean. Curious to see how the ToD jacket turns out.

Some more shots of the pre-distressed Hide jacket. It's been a cold week and this jacket with it's thickness has definitely been worthy and kept the cold out I will say.

Click for bigger pic:

Old 02-06-2016, 01:12 PM   #121
Drones33
IndyFan

Really is wearing-in nicely isn't it. That's one of the things I love about them, they get better with age
Old 02-06-2016, 03:03 PM   #122
Glenville86
IndyFan

Quote:
Not sure yet if it will survive the clothing donation people who come around every 3-months. I could treat it but honestly have done a few jackets with pecards and it is just a bit time consuming and messy. Maybe it will look different if I wet it down in the shower.

Also got an on sale US Wings USA made Legend in striated lamb. Nice jacket. Nice dark color and a heavy lamb. Funny thing is I cannot see very much in the way of striations in the leather but suppose they will develop some with wear. Seems funny after having the BK and S&J that are way heavy in striations.

I gave in did 2 of my jackets in pecards today. The novapelle Raiders jacket now is a dark brown. I have a feeling this leather will show the base color with every scrape and such. Should give it a good distressed look.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:05 PM   #123
Glenville86
IndyFan

Quote:
Yes I see what you mean. Curious to see how the ToD jacket turns out.

Some more shots of the pre-distressed Hide jacket. It's been a cold week and this jacket with it's thickness has definitely been worthy and kept the cold out I will say.

Click for bigger pic:

Looking good.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:47 AM   #124
Drones33
IndyFan

Pecards

Quote:
I gave in did 2 of my jackets in pecards today. The novapelle Raiders jacket now is a dark brown. I have a feeling this leather will show the base color with every scrape and such. Should give it a good distressed look.
You're right, the Pecards thing is a bit time consuming. I think it's worth doing, but it is messy. And a bit boring. I always find that a supply of coffee and chocolate biscuits, and some decent tunes playing, helps a lot
Any chance of a photo of your new Raiders in all its Pecarded glory?
Old 02-07-2016, 01:40 PM   #125
Glenville86
IndyFan

Quote:
You're right, the Pecards thing is a bit time consuming. I think it's worth doing, but it is messy. And a bit boring. I always find that a supply of coffee and chocolate biscuits, and some decent tunes playing, helps a lot
Any chance of a photo of your new Raiders in all its Pecarded glory?

I have to stay at home tomorrow due to some German workers finishing up some work at the house I am renting. Wife will be gone and might have a chance.