TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-05-2014, 10:22 AM   #1
Moedred
Administrator
 
Moedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: California
Posts: 4,598
Lucasfilm Story Group

As seen here in SF, separate from the Indy office in LA. The Wall Street Journal has a couple of pieces about head of development Kiri Hart. "I've been sitting down with filmmakers and writers, talking with them about what they love about Star Wars, and playing matchmaker," she said. When new Indy content arises, the writing process will probably start here.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:11 PM   #2
kongisking
IndyFan
 
kongisking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Skull Island
Posts: 3,022
Im a tad worried that if the Indy series ignites again, they will apply the new canon system to Indy and toss out the previous EU. I don't think I'd be able to handle the endless flood of complaining about that in this fandom, its aggravating enough in the proper SW one...
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:25 PM   #3
TheFedora
IndyFan
 
TheFedora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by kongisking
Im a tad worried that if the Indy series ignites again, they will apply the new canon system to Indy and toss out the previous EU. I don't think I'd be able to handle the endless flood of complaining about that in this fandom, its aggravating enough in the proper SW one...

Considering that Indy has encountered pretty much every macguffin out there in the EU...(Comics, novels, games, etc...) I think that sadly taking out one of them is probably the only way if they want to use a macguffin that Indy's gone after in the past eu-wise. I don't like it and think that's lazy, but I fear that is what will end up happening in the end.
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:18 PM   #4
Grizzlor
IndyFan
 
Grizzlor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Indiana, NJ
Posts: 680
I would hazard a guess that even most Indy fans like myself couldn't recall much about its EU beyond Fate of Atlantis.
Grizzlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:27 PM   #5
Z dweller
IndyFan
 
Z dweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlor
I would hazard a guess that even most Indy fans like myself couldn't recall much about its EU beyond Fate of Atlantis.
I think you are right.

I for one never read an Indy novel or comic book, or played any of the videogames.

Surely for the vast majority of fans Indy's universe is defined by the movies, so if the next one should feature a macguffin from, say, one of the novels, most viewers wouldn't realize, and their experience would be unaffected.
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:56 PM   #6
Moedred
Administrator
 
Moedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: California
Posts: 4,598
The only time Indy tales intrude on each other is when huge blocks of time are commandeered for no reason ("I spent a year searching for that..."). There's not yet been a need to address the EU because when Indy 4 was released everything after 1950 was a blank slate, and now we don't know what happens after 1958. Sorry Stoo, but while Old Indy exists in the Indyverse, he's a bit confused.

My hope is before throwing anything out they consider establishing an unreliable narrator. Curt Henderson from American Graffiti, who attends an unnamed east coast university in the 1960s and becomes a writer, seems the perfect character to tell Indy's tales using the scattered resources available to him. He might even embellish for his audience (including Old Indy!) or make up minor stories from whole cloth.

If they reboot in the 20s, then we'll cross that bridge later.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:13 AM   #7
Udvarnoky
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,355
I never got the impression that the extended universe of Indy takes a whole lot of care in terms of continuity. Hell, the mythos is arguably pretty careless even if you consider only the films.

I'm still waiting for the novels that will desperately include or reference Harold Oxley in old stories to support Crystal Skull's claim that he and Indy were super close friends in the college days who only split apart after Indy ditched Marion in the aftermath of Raiders.
Udvarnoky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:56 PM   #8
Z dweller
IndyFan
 
Z dweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
Posts: 392
Although the Star Wars franchise is much bigger than Indy in terms of fandom and potential for additional revenues, seeing how Disney are milking every penny from their SW acquisition gives me renewed confidence that we'll see a new Indy movie in the next few years (whether or not Ford is in it).
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:29 PM   #9
Moedred
Administrator
 
Moedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: California
Posts: 4,598
Sounds like everyone's getting a tv-style story room these days...
Quote:
Akiva Goldsman: "There are good rooms around town, including the Monsters Room at Universal, the Star Wars room, and of course, at Marvel."
That's from the new Transformers room, formed after a decade of throwing stuff at the screen.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:42 AM   #10
Moedred
Administrator
 
Moedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: California
Posts: 4,598
ILM President Lynwen Brennan, during the Art of Storytelling presentation:
Quote:
Kiri [Hart] and her group have mapped out a story and timeline across multiple platforms many years in advance, many EXHAUSTING years in advance. … We have a great honor to have responsibility for, so we want to be really careful with that. Not only for Star Wars but with Indiana Jones, which we’re all really excited about as well.
Last year Kiri Hart said about Star Wars, which is also true of Indy:
Quote:
The benefit of making additional episodes that move forward on the timeline is that we are making new space for ourselves.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:41 AM   #11
TheFedora
IndyFan
 
TheFedora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred
ILM President Lynwen Brennan, during the Art of Storytelling presentation:

Last year Kiri Hart said about Star Wars, which is also true of Indy:

Everyone online took that to mean "Indiana Jones cinematic universe"...but I think more likely is we'll be getting new Indy novels or comics when the new movie comes out. At least I hope so.
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:09 AM   #12
Duaner
IndyFan
 
Duaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Somewhere Out There
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFedora
Everyone online took that to mean "Indiana Jones cinematic universe"...but I think more likely is we'll be getting new Indy novels or comics when the new movie comes out. At least I hope so.

I'm taking it to mean both. I think we will definitely be seeing several more movies after Indy 5. I think we will see prequels with a younger Indy in the late 1920s/early 1930s and see a spin-off series featuring a new character (probably initially a sidekick to Indy) introduced in Indy 5 who can carry the franchise on into the future. This is similar to what they are doing with Star Wars - continuing the franchise with new younger characters (Episodes VII, VIII, and IX), while simultaneously going back to tell prequel stories (Rogue One, Han Solo film). In addition, I think we will see novels/comics set in the years of 1939-1956. Heck, maybe we will even see an animated series pop up on Disney XD. Either way, I think there is lots of Indy to come over the next 10-15 years.
Duaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:34 PM   #13
Z dweller
IndyFan
 
Z dweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duaner
I think we will see prequels with a younger Indy in the late 1920s/early 1930s
Yes, I am certain of this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duaner
and see a spin-off series featuring a new character (probably initially a sidekick to Indy) introduced in Indy 5 who can carry the franchise on into the future.
Nah, I really don't see this happening - and personally I would not want it to happen at all.
Your SW analogy does not hold water, in my opinion.
I completely agree with Sciretta's view: Indiana Jones is the selling point of these adventures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duaner
Either way, I think there is lots of Indy to come over the next 10-15 years.
Oh yeah, baby!
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:09 PM   #14
Duaner
IndyFan
 
Duaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Somewhere Out There
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z dweller
Nah, I really don't see this happening - and personally I would not want it to happen at all.
Your SW analogy does not hold water, in my opinion.
I completely agree with Sciretta's view: Indiana Jones is the selling point of these adventures.

I would never say that with such certainty. If they could introduce a character we cared to follow on his own Indy-style adventures (so not Mutt), I would surely pay to see it (and I highly doubt there are any Indy fans who would not). If they are indeed considering a cinematic "universe", that would have to encompass more than just one character's adventures. They will milk all they can from the franchise.
Duaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:49 PM   #15
Violet
Moderator Emeritus
 
Violet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
Posts: 3,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFedora
Considering that Indy has encountered pretty much every macguffin out there in the EU...(Comics, novels, games, etc...) I think that sadly taking out one of them is probably the only way if they want to use a macguffin that Indy's gone after in the past eu-wise. I don't like it and think that's lazy, but I fear that is what will end up happening in the end.

As someone who read the novels that already happened. Indy went after a Crystal Skull and a story arc that went across all the Max McCoy books years before Indy 4. Though the ride in Japan and the Young Indy episode that was never filmed would suggest the Crystal Skull idea had been in Lucas' head in the 90s.

In any case, it wouldn't bother me with a new EU despite my love for the old EU.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:25 PM   #16
Z dweller
IndyFan
 
Z dweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duaner
If they could introduce a character we cared to follow on his own Indy-style adventures (so not Mutt), I would surely pay to see it (and I highly doubt there are any Indy fans who would not).
Hmmm... with a Lara Croft remake and the first Nathan Drake big screen adventure in the making, it would seem ill advised for Disney to try and launch yet another modern day adventurer/relic hunter/Indy ripoff yarn.
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:52 PM   #17
Duaner
IndyFan
 
Duaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Somewhere Out There
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z dweller
Hmmm... with a Lara Croft remake and the first Nathan Drake big screen adventure in the making, it would seem ill advised for Disney to try and launch yet another modern day adventurer/relic hunter/Indy ripoff yarn.

Yeah, but we're not talking about an "Indy rip-off" - we're talking Indy spin-off. I highly doubt that Disney would back off any plans because of a couple inferior Indy wannabes. They would have the "Indiana Jones" name as a launching point. Either way, this would not happen right now anyway. Indy 5 is not until 2019, so if any type of spin-off was made, we would be in the early to mid 2020s when it would be released. I actually think there is a better chance than not that we see some sort of Indy-less film that still exists in the same universe as Indy. Shared universes are all the rage right now - Marvel, DC, Star Wars, Universal Monsters, Godzilla/Kong. It really sounds as if they are working on ways to expand the "Indyverse." You may not like the idea, but that does not mean it will not happen.
Duaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:27 AM   #18
Attila the Professor
Moderator
 
Attila the Professor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: United States
Posts: 6,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duaner
Yeah, but we're not talking about an "Indy rip-off" - we're talking Indy spin-off. I highly doubt that Disney would back off any plans because of a couple inferior Indy wannabes. They would have the "Indiana Jones" name as a launching point.

This feels to me like a distinction without a difference. An Indy spinoff, if featuring a younger sidekick introduced in Indy V, and thus set in, at earliest, the early 1960s, bears no substantial relationship that I can imagine to the spirit of the Indy films. Different character, different period, different creators: what's the point of tying them together?

And how would they even shoehorn the Indiana Jones name in there? The Jones Legacy?
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:11 AM   #19
Finn
Moderator
 
Finn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
This feels to me like a distinction without a difference. An Indy spinoff, if featuring a younger sidekick introduced in Indy V, and thus set in, at earliest, the early 1960s, bears no substantial relationship that I can imagine to the spirit of the Indy films. Different character, different period, different creators: what's the point of tying them together?

And how would they even shoehorn the Indiana Jones name in there? The Jones Legacy?
They don't need to any sensible reason if they can find enough people like Duaner who find the idea enticing. As the old adage goes, "A thousand men can say manure does not taste good, but there will still be millions of flies who disagree."

(In the name of fairness, same can also be applied from the POV of the Ford purists. If enough people will be willing to pay for their tickets after a recast, their opinion matters little.)
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:26 AM   #20
Z dweller
IndyFan
 
Z dweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
how would they even shoehorn the Indiana Jones name in there?
Indiana Jones: the Scooby-Doo Seventies Sidekick Saga.
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:23 PM   #21
Randy_Flagg
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
And how would they even shoehorn the Indiana Jones name in there? The Jones Legacy?

The could do it like they're doing with the Star Wars spin-off films:

"The Joe Schmoe Adventure: An Indiana Jones Story (Without Indiana Jones)"

Notice I managed to cram "Indiana Jones" in there TWICE. I ought to be in marketing, seriously.

More seriously, I guess I could see them calling it "Raiders Of The ______", using the familiar iconic font so we know it's related to Indiana Jones. But, overall, I agree with you that a spin-off focusing on a different character in a different time period would be pretty pointless.
Randy_Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:06 PM   #22
Attila the Professor
Moderator
 
Attila the Professor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: United States
Posts: 6,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Flagg
More seriously, I guess I could see them calling it "Raiders Of The ______", using the familiar iconic font so we know it's related to Indiana Jones. But, overall, I agree with you that a spin-off focusing on a different character in a different time period would be pretty pointless.

Yeah, Raiders... as a title is conceivable.

There are certainly characters in the Harrison Ford era who could merit their own story, Belloq foremost among them. But unless they're going to be cutesy about it, that could still entail recasting Indy.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:30 PM   #23
Duaner
IndyFan
 
Duaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Somewhere Out There
Posts: 214
You don't necessarily need the Indiana Jones name in the title of the spin-off. The idea would be that the new character would be recognizable enough that when the spin-off were released people would say, "Oh, that's the guy from the Indy movie!" Maybe it would not be a character from Indy 5. Maybe the spin-off character would come from the first Indy prequel that we all assume is coming after Indy 5. That would place the film back into the original Indy years. You would just need the character to be an adventurer of a different sort than Indy- maybe an explorer, pilot, soldier-for-hire, etc. Who knows? Either way, they are pitching this idea of the cinematic universe, so you have to entertain all possibilities.
Duaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:57 PM   #24
Violet
Moderator Emeritus
 
Violet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
Posts: 3,198
Rather than looking to the future for spin off possibilities- what about the past? Part of the charm to me, is the old world vibe. Its possible to do films about say Abner Ravenwood or even Henry Snr prior to Indy's existence. Beyond say maybe the early 60s, the decades after seem to lose that charm- Indy isn't meant to have all that much tech, design wise it's meant to be the opposite of Star Wars. I'm still however all for younger Indy films set in the 20s and early 30s when he first starts out.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:07 AM   #25
Randy_Flagg
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet
Rather than looking to the future for spin off possibilities- what about the past? Part of the charm to me, is the old world vibe. Its possible to do films about say Abner Ravenwood

Abner Ravenwood has a great name for a title. "Abner Ravenwood And The Lost City," or something like that, has a nice ring to it. It's certainly better than "Mutt And The Lost City."
Randy_Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 AM.