TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Old 06-17-2017, 10:52 PM   #1
Raiders112390
IndyFan

How far back should a (post Harrison) prequel go?

In Indy's chronology?
I was re-watching the intro to LC and I would love to see some more Hardy Boy-esque pre-WWI Indy adventures. What about you guys?
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
Face_Palm
IndyFan

I don't really want to see a prequel. The TV series covered that era.
I just would want to see more adventures in the 30's and 40's with the new actor (after Harrison Ford gets his Indy 5 of course).
Face_Palm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:11 PM   #3
TheFedora
IndyFan

I dont think they should do a prequel at all. Maybe more of a flashback with a non Harrison actor to get people acclimated if they plan on continuing the franchise after Indy 5.
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:54 PM   #4
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFedora
I dont think they should do a prequel at all. Maybe more of a flashback with a non Harrison actor to get people acclimated if they plan on continuing the franchise after Indy 5.

^ this!
Old 06-18-2017, 09:55 PM   #5
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:

Continuing the franchise with a new actor introduced in Indy 5, would mean a prequel.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:58 PM   #6
TheFedora
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
Continuing the franchise with a new actor introduced in Indy 5, would mean a prequel.

Well I was just saying there are some macguffins like a fountain of youth plot that could give them a way to make him young without going into prequel territory.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:30 PM   #7
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Well I was just saying there are some macguffins like a fountain of youth plot that could give them a way to make him young without going into prequel territory.
Say what? You were talking about a "flashback".

Quote:
What about you guys?
Further back than 1935 but no earlier than 1921.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:14 AM   #8
TheFedora
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Say what? You were talking about a "flashback".

Further back than 1935 but no earlier than 1921.

Honestly theres no need to be that confrontational. I was just saying two ways that it could be done. Whether that be flashback or by some de-aging thing, either honestly works for me. But yeah if we do neither (as I suspect) maybe we should get something in between Raiders and Last Crusade.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:48 AM   #9
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Why would anyone want Indy to go beyond the 1960s? Do you really want to see Indy trapsing around in his fedora and leather jacket in the 1970s?
Old 06-19-2017, 11:27 AM   #10
Randy_Flagg
IndyFan

I think they should aim for the mid-1920s. That gives them enough space between the time period of the movie and the time period of TOD (1935) allowing audiences to more easily accept Indy looking a bit different, but it also doesn't go too far back, so we won't be stuck with a kid Indy. A 25 year old Indy could work okay.

As for the tv series... I just have a REALLY hard time accepting it as canon, and I would be completely fine with it being removed from canon in favor of movies that feel more Indy-like. Aside from his name, the character in the tv series was not Indiana Jones. He had a completely different personality/attitude (yeah, I know people change, but they don't change THAT much from their 20s to their 30s.)

Quote:
Why would anyone want Indy to go beyond the 1960s? Do you really want to see Indy trapsing around in his fedora and leather jacket in the 1970s?
I totally agree with you that going into the 1970s would be a bad idea. That's one of my big problems with Harrison doing another Indy film. His age pretty much forces them to set the film in the 70s, and for me, the 70s isn't the time period I want to see when I watch an Indiana Jones movie.
Randy_Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:18 PM   #11
IndyBuff
IndyFan

I liked how MacGregor's novels began in the 1920's and progressed from there. I think that would be a great starting point.
IndyBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:49 PM   #12
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:

A prequel to Indy 5 - sure. As long as we aren't talking about prequels to the original trilogy.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:50 PM   #13
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:

Yes. Hence why Harrison is reprising his role 12 years after Indy 4 which was set in 1957.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:54 PM   #14
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face_Palm
Yes. Hence why Harrison is reprising his role 12 years after Indy 4 which was set in 1957.

I will bet you $100 right here, right now that Indy 5 goes no later than 1969. We're not gonna see Indy in the Disco Era.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:56 PM   #15
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Flagg
I think they should aim for the mid-1920s. That gives them enough space between the time period of the movie and the time period of TOD (1935) allowing audiences to more easily accept Indy looking a bit different, but it also doesn't go too far back, so we won't be stuck with a kid Indy. A 25 year old Indy could work okay.

As for the tv series... I just have a REALLY hard time accepting it as canon, and I would be completely fine with it being removed from canon in favor of movies that feel more Indy-like. Aside from his name, the character in the tv series was not Indiana Jones. He had a completely different personality/attitude (yeah, I know people change, but they don't change THAT much from their 20s to their 30s.)

I totally agree with you that going into the 1970s would be a bad idea. That's one of my big problems with Harrison doing another Indy film. His age pretty much forces them to set the film in the 70s, and for me, the 70s isn't the time period I want to see when I watch an Indiana Jones movie.

I want the YIJC if only so the Ford cameo remains canon.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:26 PM   #16
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
I will bet you $100 right here, right now that Indy 5 goes no later than 1969. We're not gonna see Indy in the Disco Era.

What about Indy 6?
Old 06-19-2017, 09:47 PM   #17
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face_Palm
What about Indy 6?

Ain't going to be one, at least with Ford in it. Another $100 says this is his last outing as Indy, whether through his Indy's on-screen death, or Harrison's retirement from major acting roles. You can quote me on this in 2020. I've been on here since 2007, and I don't intend on leaving anytime soon.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:01 AM   #18
Kai Hagen
IndyFan

Quote:
What if he changes his style? Uncharted and Tomb Raider works well in the modern age.
Kai Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:14 PM   #19
TheFedora
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Hagen
What if he changes his style? Uncharted and Tomb Raider works well in the modern age.

Im not sold on a change in style, although I think the hat and whip would pretty much have to stay the same no matter what. Ditto on the leather jacket and shirt maybe.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:21 PM   #20
JasonMa
IndyFan

I think earlier adventures in the 20's could work, as long as their earlier adventures and not a prequel.

What I mean by that is that a whole new story of Indy looking for some artifact in 1926 is fine. I don't want to see "Here's how Indy and Marion met" or "Here's the first time Indy and Belloq crossed paths" or Here's where Indy and Forrestal first competed for the same discovery".

Its fine to work in some setting up of what we saw in the original 3 movies (he partners with Sallah who he already knows, or Short Round, or talks to a younger Brody who's not yet running the museum) but the story can't be focused on setting up the relationships we already know about.

That's my greatest fear about the Han Solo movie. Its going to be a checklist. Save Chewie's life, meet Lando, win the Falcon from Lando, etc. instead of a new story.
JasonMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:11 PM   #21
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
Ain't going to be one, at least with Ford in it. Another $100 says this is his last outing as Indy, whether through his Indy's on-screen death, or Harrison's retirement from major acting roles. You can quote me on this in 2020. I've been on here since 2007, and I don't intend on leaving anytime soon.

Before Harrison was even officially announced to return for The Force Awakens as Han Solo, rumors were swirling that he only agreed to return if they signed a contract with him guaranteeing Indy 5 & 6. As soon as The Force Awakens hit theatres and we learned Han died, only 3 months later they confirmed Indy 5 with Harrison. That tells me there was a lot of validity to the rumors.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:25 PM   #22
IndyBuff
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMa
I think earlier adventures in the 20's could work, as long as their earlier adventures and not a prequel.

What I mean by that is that a whole new story of Indy looking for some artifact in 1926 is fine. I don't want to see "Here's how Indy and Marion met" or "Here's the first time Indy and Belloq crossed paths" or Here's where Indy and Forrestal first competed for the same discovery".

Its fine to work in some setting up of what we saw in the original 3 movies (he partners with Sallah who he already knows, or Short Round, or talks to a younger Brody who's not yet running the museum) but the story can't be focused on setting up the relationships we already know about.

That's my greatest fear about the Han Solo movie. Its going to be a checklist. Save Chewie's life, meet Lando, win the Falcon from Lando, etc. instead of a new story.

I share those same fears. Just give us a great story and let our imaginations run wild with the rest. We don't need a film about Indy and Abner's relationship or how Indy and Belloq first met. It was fine for Last Crusade's opening but an entire film of things like that would be too much.
IndyBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:42 PM   #23
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
My preference would be for the prequels to start in the early 1930s.

I want to see Indy as a fully fledged adventurer/archaeologist, not a rehash of the YIJC.

Whether or not Disney stick to the "canon" timeline and character's age, they could squeeze practically any number of prequels between 1930 and 1935.

Quote:
Another $100 says this is his last outing as Indy, whether through his Indy's on-screen death, or Harrison's retirement from major acting roles.
No one in their right mind would take you up on that one, not even the few hardcore Ford f̶e̶t̶i̶s̶h̶i̶s̶t̶s̶ fans on these boards, surely.
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 03:39 PM   #24
seasider
IndyFan

I always thought a good place to start on a prequel would be showing Indy as a newly graduated archaeologist starting his apprenticeship with Abner Ravenwood.
seasider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:51 AM   #25
dakota
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasider
I always thought a good place to start on a prequel would be showing Indy as a newly graduated archaeologist starting his apprenticeship with Abner Ravenwood.

Exactly, my thoughts as well and could open up a whole new storyline between this period and Raiders.

Anthony Ingruber would be a good choice, has the looks and mannerisms, could do with a little more acting coaching but would work I think.
dakota is offline   Reply With Quote