User Name
Password

Old 10-10-2003, 11:43 AM   #1
bob
IndyFan

Thumbs up Young Indiana Jones appreciation thread

'allo

I have bashed YIJ more than most.
But now i think that we should try to appreciate it, so moving swiftly on that is the reason for this thread, maybe we can discuss the positives of the series as we Indy fans should be a little more mature over this....
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 12:08 PM   #2
Randy_Flagg
IndyFan

As much as I didn't enjoy the series (...resists urge to explain all the reasons why...), I will freely admit that it was beautifully filmed and had some of the best production values of anything ever made for television. The casting (aside from Indy, who in no made me think of Harrison Ford) was also quite good. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: If it hadn't been called Indiana Jones, and if we hadn't expected it to BE Indiana Jones, I think this could have found more success. Most of us just came to it expecting something entirely different than what we got.
Randy_Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 12:32 PM   #3
Webley
IndyFan

I love the young Indiana Jones series and the onle thing I would chang would be if we could have seen Sallah in some of the shows.
Webley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 08:38 AM   #4
00Kevin
Indyfan

I enjoyed the YIJC alot, It even got me interested in History.

I think it had good potential, but it would have taken:

MORE ACTION
MORE ACTION
MORE ACTION
and more adventure too, world famous adventurer in...the trenches of WW1. Ya know? not indy enough.
more Harrison ford bookends
more young versions of charactors from the trilogy (belloq, marcus, sallah, marion)
and some MORE adventure

It's a pity it was cancled, the 3rd season had great potential, many of those episodes were the adventurous ones I was looking forwards too
00Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 10:03 AM   #5
Indy Smith
IndyFan

Granted Sean Patrick Flannery wasn't as good at portraying a Younger Haarrison Ford, he still manage to do a good job considering he was following in the foot steps of River Pheonix and Harrison Ford, a hard thing to follow.

I always thought the music was quite well done. Not as good as John Williams, but still had that adventurous feel to it. My favourite episode for music and action and a good ole fasioned Indy type episode was "The Phantom Train of Doom", which also co-starred Paul Freeman, the famous french Arvheologist Belloch. One of my favourite stories was "Oganga, The Giver and Taker of Life". This episode shows how Indy got taught a lot about morality. In the Temple of Doom when you see Indy turn back to help the Kids when he could easily have ran away, thats some of the things he was taught by Albert Schweitzer coming into play.

I thought for the part of Henry Jones they did ok. I liked the way he would snap "Junior!" Quite Sean Connery like, but perhaps they could have gotten Adrian Paul, an actor who reminds me of a Young Connery, but maybe he was just too young himself.
Indy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 09:42 PM   #6
Attila the Professor

The concept was great. We're talking about World War I here, a vastly underused time period when it comes to film, and certainly for television. The production values are really something, and the characters...even if the portrayals aren't quite on the money sometimes (John Ford comes to mind), the ones they include are often great.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 07:43 AM   #7
00Kevin
Indyfan

I agree, just saying that they needed to change things alot if they wanted it to be popular
00Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 06:27 AM   #8
Randy_Flagg
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally posted by 00Kevin
I enjoyed the YIJC alot, It even got me interested in History.

I think it had good potential, but it would have taken:

MORE ACTION
MORE ACTION
MORE ACTION
and more adventure too, world famous adventurer in...the trenches of WW1. Ya know? not indy enough.
more Harrison ford bookends
more young versions of charactors from the trilogy (belloq, marcus, sallah, marion)
and some MORE adventure

Agreed. Again, it comes back to the name and the expectations it carries with it. When you see the words "Indiana Jones" across your screen, you expect to be on the edge of your seat watching some great cliffhangers. You don't expect intelligent (and rather dull) discussions on politics, and you don't expect an altruistic lead character. The lack of action is emphasized because it completely contradicts your expectations.

And yes, they could have worked in some young versions of characters from the trilogy. I wouldn't want to see too many, since then it becomes like Star Wars in which everyone's paths seem to cross too many times, making the world way too small. But we know Indy and Marion shared a past, as did Indy and Sallah, Belloq and Marcus. Abner Ravenwood would work too. Just don't show us a young Mola Ram beating up a nine year-old Indy in the schoolyard.

Randy_Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 01:50 PM   #9
bob
IndyFan

Lets just concentrate on the positives please!, we have had dozens of threads bashing YIJ.......

Oh well
I tried
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 02:37 PM   #10
Semola Jones
IndyFan

I love the series! It teaches much about history, anthroplogy, moral problems and love affairs. But the character of Indy could have been treatened with more care.
Semola Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 06:24 AM   #11
merancapeman
IndyFan

Believe me, this is difficult to say, but the only thing good about it was character development...
merancapeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 01:26 AM   #12
Pale Horse

Not true MCPM....

Luccas taught me about history, as it realates to fantasy!
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:40 PM   #13
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Young Indy = Awesome.

I have to say, I just got the DVDs, they're awesome. I had the VHS tapes years ago but they weren't very good quality. I love this series, it's so awesome to see Indy begin to grow into the guy we see in TOD, RotLA, LC and KOTCS. I love the childhood episodes; Corey Carrier portrayed Indy as a very spunky, feisty, witty young kid; SPF showed us the other side; the vulnerable, thoughtful, resourceful, at times cynical side of Indy. By 1920, you could definately begin to see the guy that Indy became by the time we next see him in 1935.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:43 AM   #14
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
Nice to know there's another fan of the TV series. I love it too, but I often wish they had done at least one episode that tied in more into Raiders, like they were planning to do in the third season.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:08 AM   #15
The_Raiders
IndyFan

I have never seen the young Indy series, and don't plan too. I don't want to see Indy as a kid. I just like the orginal ones with Harrison Ford. I mean I like the thought of him bein just a "normal" kid, so it gives more insparation to kids that watch the original trilogy. Oh well...
The_Raiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:40 AM   #16
Matinee Idyll
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raiders
I don't want to see Indy as a kid.

Erm, did you get to the cinema late when you saw 'The Last Crusade'?
Matinee Idyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:47 AM   #17
metalinvader
IndyFan

Congrats,Raiders112390 for getting into this amazing and overlooked series.What was your favorite episode?
metalinvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:23 AM   #18
adventure_al
IndyFan

i really like some of the episodes but others were a bit of a disapointment.

none the less i'll still get them once there all released on dvd in britain.

i liked the episode 'phatom train of doom'- i think it was called
adventure_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:21 PM   #19
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:
I just like the orginal ones with Harrison Ford.

You might like the "Mystery of the Blues" episode then, for which Ford reprised his role.

Quote:
I mean I like the thought of him bein just a "normal" kid

He is a "normal" kid, who just happens to run into some of the most important and enlightening figures of the early 20th century.
Adamwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:16 PM   #20
IndySeven
IndyFan

YIJC is awesome! Nearly all of the episodes have great storylines, and they're really interesting!
IndySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:35 PM   #21
The_Raiders
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamwankenobi
You might like the "Mystery of the Blues" episode then, for which Ford reprised his role.

He is a "normal" kid, who just happens to run into some of the most important and enlightening figures of the early 20th century.

Yeah but a normal kid that apears to get in ab-normal situations. Most kids wouldn't
Old 02-27-2008, 12:34 AM   #22
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:
Yeah but a normal kid that apears to get in ab-normal situations. Most kids wouldn't

Well that's why Indiana Jones is in the fantasy genre... because it's fantastical. I mean seriously, Indy gets into even more abnormal situations as an adult!
Adamwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:39 AM   #23
The_Raiders
IndyFan

That's the thing, if a kid can imagine Indy as a regualr kid, not some fast witted person who gets in abnormal situations, than they see him as an adult and his situations and it gives them insparataion
Old 02-27-2008, 02:57 AM   #24
metalinvader
IndyFan

Maybe you should watch some episodes first before casting some judgement on it.I don't see what so abnormal about some of the adventures young Indy did..i.e. Running away,Joining the army..etc..

Last edited by metalinvader : 02-27-2008 at 03:07 AM.
metalinvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:14 AM   #25
Major West
IndyFan

Quote:

Most kids aren't Indiana Jones.
Major West is offline   Reply With Quote