TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Archaeology
User Name
Password

Old 09-17-2014, 09:14 PM   #26
Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFedora
I was just unsure, because Ive been on other forums that have different rules about reviving threads.
Yeah. Our house, our customs.

Don't worry though, I know why people might be uncertain about it, as there arguably are some reasonable arguments for frowning upon it as well. It can cause some confusion in people, and sometimes hasty folks who don't bother to check timestamps may end up in an embarrassing position by answering a question that has long since turned irrelevant.

We here in The Raven value our history however. We know there's lodes of good stuff buried here and it's going back to what could be considered ancient history - as far as measuring time in the Internet is concerned. By not abhoring necro-posting, we can see at least a fraction of it re-emerge from time to time. Given your field, I reckon you might actually appreciate that.

...and what about those hasty folks? Well, the joke's solely on them, not us, innit?
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:24 AM   #27
sheffsteve
IndyFan

Perhaps I can shed a small light on this topic. I have a small collection of Philistine pottery from when I dug in Israel and it was kept with the express approval of the dig directors. So many pottery sherds are dug up in an average day that it really isn't feasible to keep it all. At the end of each days digging the pottery is washed and then classified. Most pot sherds are non diagnostic in nature ie they do not aid the dating of a particular stratigraphic layer. Pot rims are usually the most diagnostic type. What you are left with is literally tonnes of material that will go back into a spoil heap, archaeology is essentially a destructive process. What happened on my dig was literally the dig director saying "go and pick out anything you want from the pottery spoil" one day and let me tell you I have some beautiful pieces; sherds of Philistine bichrome ware.
The problem really arises with private collectors who buy unprovenanced artifacts from the archaeological black market from unregulated digs. If there had been a problem with my collection then you can bet your life that the Israeli airport authorities would have stopped me!
sheffsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:20 PM   #28
TheFedora
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheffsteve
Perhaps I can shed a small light on this topic. I have a small collection of Philistine pottery from when I dug in Israel and it was kept with the express approval of the dig directors. So many pottery sherds are dug up in an average day that it really isn't feasible to keep it all. At the end of each days digging the pottery is washed and then classified. Most pot sherds are non diagnostic in nature ie they do not aid the dating of a particular stratigraphic layer. Pot rims are usually the most diagnostic type. What you are left with is literally tonnes of material that will go back into a spoil heap, archaeology is essentially a destructive process. What happened on my dig was literally the dig director saying "go and pick out anything you want from the pottery spoil" one day and let me tell you I have some beautiful pieces; sherds of Philistine bichrome ware.
The problem really arises with private collectors who buy unprovenanced artifacts from the archaeological black market from unregulated digs. If there had been a problem with my collection then you can bet your life that the Israeli airport authorities would have stopped me!

Interesting. I think that happened with me on my dig site in Ostia Antica in that we also had a large collection of potsherd spoil as well as excess tesserae. They were like "we won't stop you from taking anything", I did not take anything, but my sister who was also working on the dig took part of a pottery handle I think.
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:23 PM   #29
Indy McFly
IndyFan

Provide access

As far as "should I have this?" or not. That all depends of circumstances, local rules, and your employer (if that applies).

But as a historian, my biggest beef is access. Yes, you have this great item. Awesome, good for you. But you need to provide access to historians and researchers. This way the knowledge and history of the item can benefit everyone. This does not take away from your item, and usually increases its value anyway.

Those that hoard historical items and then love to contradict and correct historians about how wrong they are, and then still not allow access are both unethical and D-bags.
Indy McFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:08 AM   #30
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Al Jazeera has a nice look at this controversial subject.

Full write up here. It's not that long.
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote