Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Old 12-01-2011, 12:09 AM   #51
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
@The "Brits": Give your 'serious political/post modern analysis' NOW! Joe Brody wants to know!

The key to post-modernism is that nothing needs to make sense in the way you expect it to.

It's all about being detached, which is exactly how I feel in relation to The Raven right now.

---

On topic: I don't like the bit in "Reservoir Dogs" when he cuts the ear off.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:24 AM   #52
Montana Smith
IndyFan

There's no Kill Bill Vol. 1/Vol. 2 thread on The Raven, despite it being the most Indiana Jones of Tarantino's Grindhouse movies.

Okay that's a stretch, but for much of the films Beatrix Kiddo is the woman with no name. Hanzo calls her the "yellow-haired warrior", in recognition of Eastwood's 'Blondie'. And we know that at an early stage Indy was partially inspired by that character.

Indy's single-minded purpose, mercenary nature, fortune-seeking, disregard of human life and hunger for revenge were ideas played with by Lucas to varying extents throughout his four films. Yet they were always tempered by a self-imposed code of conduct. Maybe not utterly moral, but higher than that of his rivals.

And here we have Beatrix Kiddo/The Bride, codename Black Mamba.

Watching Raiders of the Lost Ark is like watching a near-perfect adventure film. I say "near-perfect" as it's best not to speak in absolutes, but Raiders has such great characters, scenes, situations, dialogue and music.

And when I watch Kill Bill it's like watching a near-perfect fusion film. It has all the positives I ascribe to Raiders, plus some others: Grindhouse, Spaghetti Western, Japanese influence, 1970s Kung-fu films, Bruce Lee's Game of Death, and Pai Mei and Earl McGraw who link these films to a wider fictional universe of films (i.e. those from Shaw Brothers, and Tarantino and Rodriguez' own Planet Terror, Death Proof and From Dusk Till Dawn). By association, and some twisted sense of reality, there are vampires in Beatrix' world. (Just as there are in Indy's, if you believe the one-eyed man!)

And to bind it all together Kill Bill is the best of comic book melodrama set in a world that isn't quite our own. A simple tale of bold motives told extremely well. Which brings me back to Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Tarantino tells his tale in non-linear time. We see first the bold strokes of character in Vol. 1, and in Vol. 2 we see the events that made them so conflicted.

With that in mind, the story of Indiana Jones could be expressed as Raiders of the Lost Ark (Vol. 1) and The Temple of Doom (Vol. 2).

In October 2009 Tarantino expressed his intentions to make Vol. 3:

Quote:
Director Quentin Tarantino reveals Kill Bill 3 plans for 2014

American director Quentin Tarantino revealed his intention to film Kill Bill Vol.3 for a 2014 release on the Italian talk show Parla Con Me. Starring American actress Uma Thurman, Kill Bill Vol.1 and Kill Bill Vol.2 were released in 2003 and 2004, earning a total of over $332 million worldwide. Tarantino announced that he preferred a 10-year break to take place between Vol.2 and the proposed Vol.3, to allow the lead character time to "have a break." Tarantino has alluded to Kill Bill Vol.3 in the past, hinting that the storyline may center around the revenge of Nikki Green, the four-year-old daughter of assassin Copperhead (American actress Vivica A. Fox), who is witness to her mother's murder in the first Kill Bill.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...p-1796842.html

I look forward to his near-perfect version of The Last Crusade (Vol. 3).
Old 01-24-2014, 11:53 AM   #53
Pale Horse

The Hateful 8 screenplay is really good. It's really too bad that one won't get made now.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:01 PM   #54
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
The Hateful 8 screenplay is really good. It's really too bad that one won't get made now.

It's actually on my "to read this evening" agenda...

I already peeked at the first couple pages and the five or six times he tells the reader "in 70mm SUPER CINEMASCOPE FRAME"...

could have been interesting.
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:29 PM   #55
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo
It's actually on my "to read this evening" agenda...

I already peeked at the first couple pages and the five or six times he tells the reader "in 70mm SUPER CINEMASCOPE FRAME"...

could have been interesting.

I'm glad you have it too. Let's compare readings this week.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:20 PM   #56
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Oh, to be far from Tinseltown. Thanks Guys, I would have missed this completely if not for you. I love the Please-name-names line.

Would it beyond QT to put out three versions and see who leaked just to figure out who to axe? I love how he's shelving the project.

Gotta admit, I have no desire for a Western. Got my fill with Django and Kill Bill.

I'd like to see QT do something up to the moment. Say something with Insane Clown Posse types ("we are not a gang"), home brewers, (picking a random group based on a New York Times article I read today) Mormons, Rooney and Kate Mara, and Samuel L. Jackson. On second thought, maybe I'll hammer this out myself.
Joe Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #57
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

Paging Pale Horse... Paging Pale Horse...
Old 04-07-2014, 10:16 AM   #58
Pale Horse

For Shame, for shame. I wish I had access to a corporate printer. I hate reading things like this on line.

I'll be back...
Old 04-21-2014, 09:43 AM   #59
Pale Horse

Sounds like the read was very promising...
Old 07-30-2014, 01:09 PM   #60
Pale Horse

Quote:

Don't tell me this is the NDA you're currently operating under:

Old 07-31-2014, 05:40 AM   #61
Henry Jones VII
IndyFan

Great looking poster,

this one should be an interesting western.
Henry Jones VII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:35 PM   #62
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

Quote:
Don't tell me this is the NDA you're currently operating under:

I signed an NDA forbidding me from discussing my NDA's...

...which I have now violated.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:46 PM   #63
kongisking
IndyFan

What's that GIF from, Gonzo? Because, to be honest...it's really disturbingly realistic. Can I ask for it to be removed somehow?
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:52 PM   #64
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongisking
What's that GIF from, Gonzo? Because, to be honest...it's really disturbingly realistic. Can I ask for it to be removed somehow?

Not a real snuff film, but removal is, perhaps, worth considering.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:26 AM   #65
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor

Maybe replace it with something more appropriate?

Like this:

(That's actual footage from 1981 of a man who'd just learned that Harrison Ford was going to be playing Indiana Jones. Moments before he was heard to have uttered the word, "Squee!")
Old 10-20-2014, 12:51 PM   #66
roundshort
IndyFan

Great news about Hateful 8! They are using my old town of Telluride to film it. This is great news and proves QT knows what he is doing! Not even going to mention I plugged Tride to him on a 4th of July pool party once.....
roundshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:37 PM   #67
Pale Horse

Quote:

Stunning, and this isn't even to scale.

But what are Jeff Bridges and Danny Glover doing in this film?
Old 05-08-2015, 02:50 PM   #68
featofstrength
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor

Were we talking about art or...?

My brain hurts.
featofstrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 01:03 PM   #69
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Quote:

Kurt f'ning Russell. Man I wish he would just disappear.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:27 PM   #70
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

Quote:

Wait'll ya see it...

(if it's Tarantino's last film, it's a good one to go out on. Covers all the bases and has a big time Reservoir Dogs vibe... but you didn't hear that from me.)
Old 05-11-2015, 11:24 AM   #71
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Brody
Kurt f'ning Russell. Man I wish he would just disappear.

Okay, now this sounds like a great discussion to get into.

Why, good friend. Why?
Old 05-11-2015, 10:50 PM   #72
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Quote:
Okay, now this sounds like a great discussion to get into.

Why, good friend. Why?

Look at his filmography. The guy is the posterboy for 'Bad Hollywood' whose whole career has been a bad inside joke. What exactly that joke is, I'm not sure -- and some I'm sure would even argue that it's kinda cool.

What that whole bad-inside-joke-of-a-career (note, I've never seen the Miracle) seems to have built up to perfectly is Death Proof -- where QT did what he does best and create a part for the bad-inside-joke that helps take the given film to another level.

And once the bad-inside-joke is bestowed with a Band Apart role there just ain't nothing left. I'd argue there's even less than nothing left.

What purpose had there been to John Travolta's existence since 1994 except to rebut Vega Brother rumors?

Similarly for Russell. What the heck was he doing in Furious 7 -- other than (shudder) give Toretto a reason to drink something other than a Corona? You'll never find me defending Furioius 7 as a quality film but Russell's character brought the whole film down a very big notch. Is it as bad a Travolta's Michael or Phenomenon? No -- but I wish we were spared.

Last edited by Joe Brody : 05-11-2015 at 10:59 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:47 PM   #73
Pale Horse

A little about the man that Robert Osborne dubbed the Walt Disney Company(ies) top studio star of the 1970’s. Y’all remember he auditioned for the role of Han Solo, but lost to Ford, right?

All of this because he tore a shoulder muscle while playing minor league AA ball for the California Angels with a batting average of .563!?! He missed “The Show”,

...and perhaps that is the basis for your unsettled approach to one Kurt Vogel Russell (yes, like the villain in Last Crusade)

Quote:
Look at his filmography. The guy is the poster boy for 'Bad Hollywood'

There is evidence there to validate this…Big Trouble in Little China, Captain Ron, Sky High, Soldier (with his 79 words..yes, I counted ‘em-11 are ‘Sir’), Tango and Cash, self scripted Escape from L.A

Quote:
…whose whole career has been a bad inside joke.

…but it’s here I take exception.

Escape from New York, The Thing , ghost directed Tombstone, “the best sports movie of all time ~Ebert” Miracle. Backdraft, Golden Globe nominated Silkwood, Emmy nominated Elvis, Tequila Sunrise, The Deadly Tower each with a unique merit on its own, yet all propelled by the quiet cool, slightly older kid who lived next door magic that the aforesaid ‘bad-joke’ may play to its own demise.

Quote:
What exactly that joke is, I'm not sure –and some I'm sure would even argue that it's kinda cool.

I think is some regards, it’s very cool.

Quote:
What that whole bad-inside-joke-of-a-career (note, I've never seen the Miracle) seems to have built up to perfectly is Death Proof -- where QT did what he does best and create a part for the bad-inside-joke that helps take the given film to another level.

Coincidentally enough, he criticizes the use of Scottish Gerard Butler as Snake Plissken because to Russell, Snake is ‘quintessentially American.’ That’s moxie.

Quote:
And once the bad-inside-joke is bestowed with a Band Apart role there just ain't nothing left. I'd argue there's even less than nothing left. FOR EXAMPLE What purpose had there been to John Travolta's existence since 1994 except to rebut Vega Brother rumors?
Ouch. True, but ouch. Maybe he’s just supposed to be the straw-man Scientology uses as a distraction? (That’s not a hair plug joke, I promise) Nevertheless, I won’t contest this. He did make a good Nick Cage, though. LOL

Quote:
Similarly for Russell. What the heck was he doing in Furious 7 -- other than (shudder) give Toretto a reason to drink something other than a Corona? You'll never find me defending Furioius 7 as a quality film but Russell's character brought the whole film down a very big notch. Is it as bad a Travolta's Michael or Phenomenon? No-
I haven’t seen Furious…from 2-7 so I am unable to offer perspective on his character therein. I hardly think he was brought on for anything besides the ‘coolness’ factor. But that’s just my assumption, too.

Quote:
- but I wish we were spared.

Russell is a Libertarian, politically; monogamous in Hollywood ( a praise in its own right); and an FAA licensed pilot much like Ford. I suspect the first two are also part of the reason Hollywood tries to malign him through the campy roles they offer him. What I respect about Russell, is that he, like that slightly ever-cool older boy next door, doesn’t give a F**k.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:51 PM   #74
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Quote:
A little about the man that Robert Osborne dubbed the Walt Disney Company(ies) top studio star of the 1970’s. Y’all remember he auditioned for the role of Han Solo, but lost to Ford, right?

I did not. Too much Sellect talk here over the years I guess.

Quote:
...and perhaps that is the basis for your unsettled approach to one Kurt Vogel Russell (yes, like the villain in Last Crusade)

You are so good at the IJ tie-ins.

Quote:
…but it’s here I take exception.

Escape from New York, The Thing , ghost directed Tombstone, “the best sports movie of all time ~Ebert” Miracle. Backdraft, Golden Globe nominated Silkwood, Emmy nominated Elvis, Tequila Sunrise, The Deadly Tower each with a unique merit on its own, yet all propelled by the quiet cool, slightly older kid who lived next door magic that the aforesaid ‘bad-joke’ may play to its own demise.

Russell's Elvis performance(s) are classic inside jokes (and some of the above cited performances are pretty bad). As for Elvis, my memory is vague but I think I watched that nominated performance as a kid (did I know Russell from Disney?) and it turned me into an Elvis fan. My Dad had been an Elvis fan and to that point I couldn't get it. Up to then my only exposure was Sunday Morning Elvis movie reruns and maybe a (cringeworthy) TV Vegas special -- so I wasn't feeling it, though the Hawaii and Acapulco movies are still favorites.

Quote:
I think is some regards, it’s very cool.

I respect that.

Quote:
Coincidentally enough, he criticizes the use of Scottish Gerard Butler as Snake Plissken because to Russell, Snake is ‘quintessentially American.’ That’s moxie.

But understandable.

Quote:
Ouch. True, but ouch. Maybe he’s just supposed to be the straw-man Scientology uses as a distraction? (That’s not a hair plug joke, I promise) Nevertheless, I won’t contest this. He did make a good Nick Cage, though. LOL

FACE OFF is streaming on Netflix. I prefer KISS OF DEATH though if you want to talk Nic Cage performances.

Quote:
I haven’t seen Furious…from 2-7 so I am unable to offer perspective on his character therein. I hardly think he was brought on for anything besides the ‘coolness’ factor. But that’s just my assumption, too.

Trust me, '[C]oolness' is a little past his prime. For me, there's a coolness continuum for actors from that age: starting with (post Ghost, pre-death) Patrick Swayze (G*d rest his soul), then (pre-Big Lebowski) Jeff Bridges, Kurt Russell, then Alec Baldwin (watch Miami Blues), then someone like Michael Madsen, etc.. Now, back to Death Proof. QT could have gone for the tough and scary talent like Madsen for Stuntman Mike. Madsen would have been effective and scary. Instead, QT goes with someone ironic like Russell and the whole feel of the movie changes. Suddenly there's this creepy twisted quasi realism to the performance because of Russell's stunted career. That's cool. Mr. Nobody in Furious 7? Trust me, it's not cool. It's sad.

Quote:
What I respect about Russell, is that he, like that slightly ever-cool older boy next door, doesn’t give a F**k.

Well said. I like the way you think and put that. Frankly, I did not know all the background on Russell and you've given me a new appreciation though I still wish he'd disappear from film.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:20 PM   #75
Pale Horse

Quote:
I did not. Too much Sellect talk here over the years I guess.
chuckle, among other things.

Quote:
Trust me, '[C]oolness' is a little past his prime. For me, there's a coolness continuum for actors from that age: starting with (post Ghost, pre-death) Patrick Swayze (G*d rest his soul), then (pre-Big Lebowski) Jeff Bridges, Kurt Russell, then Alec Baldwin (watch Miami Blues), then someone like Michael Madsen, etc..

Does Jeff Goldblum and Michael Keaton fit that bill yet? (or is that another discussion, a poignant one as our children are getting on now...)

Quote:
Now, back to Death Proof. QT could have gone for the tough and scary talent like Madsen for Stuntman Mike. Madsen would have been effective and scary. Instead, QT goes with someone ironic like Russell and the whole feel of the movie changes. Suddenly there's this creepy twisted quasi realism to the performance because of Russell's stunted career. That's cool. Mr. Nobody in Furious 7? Trust me, it's not cool. It's sad.

You got me thinkin'. The stereo-consensus is that QT makes what wasn't cool/new/fresh again. Looking at his actor bullpen, is there any one, besides maybe Waltz, who has reinvented themselves? That may be rhetoric.

Quote:
Well said. I like the way you think and put that. Frankly, I did not know all the background on Russell and you've given me a new appreciation though I still wish he'd disappear from film.

Perhaps I am just enamored by him from his Tombstone stand-out. Or maybe too, I've been spared his really bad camp. (I've not seen Big Trouble, Poseidon , Furious...). All in all, he'll never "Thank the Academy"; that's for sure, and I know that. Maybe in the end, his best work in film at this point could be, behind the scenes. Like ...a stuntman.