Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Old 05-15-2015, 10:50 PM   #76
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
Does Jeff Goldblum and Michael Keaton fit that bill yet? (or is that another discussion, a poignant one as our children are getting on now...)

That's an excellent question. I didn't consider Goldblum but he could be on his coolness rating but he's got no tough guy credentials, right? And as a Pittsburgh guy I'm a huge Michael Keaton fan but he's no Batman.

Quote:
You got me thinkin'. The stereo-consensus is that QT makes what wasn't cool/new/fresh again. Looking at his actor bullpen, is there any one, besides maybe Waltz, who has reinvented themselves? That may be rhetoric.

Agreed on Waltz -- but QT is doing more than making something new again in his casting choices. I once heard him explain irony as simply anything you do as a filmmaker that let's the audience know that your making a movie (think of Uma Thurman making the square symbol in Pulp Fiction). Now think of the foot massage speech. I submit that when QT picks an actor like Russell or Travolta he's giving the audience a foot massage. He knows that we know the baggage that a given talent has and he knows how it's going to effect the viewer.

Quote:

I would submit that you sir selected his finest moment on-screen right there.
Joe Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:59 PM   #77
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Brody

It was that one, or this one:

Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:44 PM   #78
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Quote:
It was that one, or this one:

[jokingly]With all the cross dressing gender bending that's going on today, that performance wouldn't even raise a (false) eyebrow today.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:13 PM   #79
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Good Stuff
Old 11-06-2015, 01:42 PM   #80
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundshort
Great news about Hateful 8! They are using my old town of Telluride to film it. This is great news and proves QT knows what he is doing! Not even going to mention I plugged Tride to him on a 4th of July pool party once.....

Mace Windu thinks his film will be better than that one by JJ Abrams.

And judging by the trailers of both, I may just have to agree. One will certainly make more money, though.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:56 AM   #81
Pale Horse

Underwhelmed

Political undertones and nuanced overtones stole some of the tension from this piece. I was hoping for a return to the Western Genre, and wanted this (especially after reading it) to be comparable to say, Silverado, but in the end it was a beautiful Tarantino film, that got caught up in being a Tarantino film.

It's odd though and worthy of discussion, I guess, to talk about how the craftsmanship affected the art. For me, it got in the way. As a master of dialogue, he violated the one rule in good writing. Show, Don't Tell.

With 70mm of screen to work with, he told us too much..
Old 12-28-2015, 04:49 PM   #82
roundshort
IndyFan

Quote:
Political undertones and nuanced overtones stole some of the tension from this piece. I was hoping for a return to the Western Genre, and wanted this (especially after reading it) to be comparable to say, Silverado, but in the end it was a beautiful Tarantino film, that got caught up in being a Tarantino film.

It's odd though and worthy of discussion, I guess, to talk about how the craftsmanship affected the art. For me, it got in the way. As a master of dialogue, he violated the one rule in good writing. Show, Don't Tell.

With 70mm of screen to work with, he told us too much..

From people I trust I have no decided not to see this in the theater. QT (who I like A LOT) just likes his writing a little too much for my own enjoyment. I was excited to see this in 70MM as I lived in Telluride for 10 years and visit often - but I don't need to see another 12 Angry Men. It has been done and done well.
roundshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:02 AM   #83
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

This movie was great.
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:16 AM   #84
roundshort
IndyFan

I did not care for this WAY TOO MANY minutes movie. For way too many reasons
1) you are in the most beautiful location in America using 70MM, and you totally waste it. They missed so much. Could have been a total studio movie.
2) It was NOT a western. More like QT wanted to recreate the drama of Key Largo - but he failed.
3) The violence to the female characters was horrible. I did not need to see JJL repeatedly beat. I don't care what she did. But that is not all QT's fault. I know he likes to shock people. But they way it was do, it was not done for effect (affect?) but for comedic punch lines. And the audience I saw it with took it as a joke. Violence to women is not a joke. Sorry huge fail.
4) PREDICTABLE. Maybe I read too much Agatha, but he telegraphed this ending.

I like QT, always have. I value the conversation I had with him about movies a few 4th of Julys ago. I like most of his movies, but find newer moves not watchable after seeing them once.

If this movie was 120 minutes to

Wait to see it at home if you must.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:22 PM   #85
Dr. Gonzo
IndyFan

After finally seeing the film with some friends, we left the theater and gathered at a nearby watering hole.
Discussion on the film began -- I was unusually quiet, sippin' on an "old fashioned" and listening to the back and forth between comrades, struggling with my initial reaction...
15 minutes in, a friend pointed out how odd it was that I hadn't said a word this whole time.

Almost like a line/scene out of the film, one of my friends turns to me and says:

"You there, speak up. What's your story?"

All heads turned my way.

I took another drink from the tumbler. Set it down. Slowly looked up at the faces across the table. (Hell, I shoulda been wearing a cowboy hat)
Then with a sense of finality I uttered the words:

"Tarantino at his most self indulgent."

My words rang true with everyone. Heads began nodding in agreement.

"...Check please."
Dr. Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:45 AM   #86
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo

Dear Heavens, no. That means one of the Ei8ht... is Jar Jar. *chuckle*
Old 01-13-2016, 12:12 PM   #87
roundshort
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo
After finally seeing the film with some friends, we left the theater and gathered at a nearby watering hole.
Discussion on the film began -- I was unusually quiet, sippin' on an "old fashioned" and listening to the back and forth between comrades, struggling with my initial reaction...
15 minutes in, a friend pointed out how odd it was that I hadn't said a word this whole time.

Almost like a line/scene out of the film, one of my friends turns to me and says:

"You there, speak up. What's your story?"

All heads turned my way.

I took another drink from the tumbler. Set it down. Slowly looked up at the faces across the table. (Hell, I shoulda been wearing a cowboy hat)
Then with a sense of finality I uttered the words:

My words rang true with everyone. Heads began nodding in agreement.

"...Check please."

An here is Dr. Gonzo at his most self indulgent.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:23 AM   #88
roundshort
IndyFan

After rereading Gonzos review maybe that is the future for the I generation. We don't fight but we write really tough reviews. The 2016 Marlowe will be..

"The same left me with an impossible job. I can't do it but I will blog tough. Hell, I should have had cowboy hat. Even. 6 shooter. But at the end of the day I a p$&@. But I type tough. So it keeps going. I have internet coolmess. Not like Bowie. But I see myslef like him, in his let's dance era. I am tough. I am cool. To bad ISIS will kill me...
Old 04-10-2016, 09:11 PM   #89
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundshort
I did not care for this WAY TOO MANY minutes movie. For way too many reasons
1) you are in the most beautiful location in America using 70MM, and you totally waste it. They missed so much. Could have been a total studio movie.
2) It was NOT a western. More like QT wanted to recreate the drama of Key Largo - but he failed.
3) The violence to the female characters was horrible. I did not need to see JJL repeatedly beat. I don't care what she did. But that is not all QT's fault. I know he likes to shock people. But they way it was do, it was not done for effect (affect?) but for comedic punch lines. And the audience I saw it with took it as a joke. Violence to women is not a joke. Sorry huge fail.
4) PREDICTABLE. Maybe I read too much Agatha, but he telegraphed this ending.

I like QT, always have. I value the conversation I had with him about movies a few 4th of Julys ago. I like most of his movies, but find newer moves not watchable after seeing them once.

If this movie was 120 minutes to

Wait to see it at home if you must.

Thanks for heads-up on the Jennifer Jason Leigh violence. It prepared me and as a result it didn't upset me too much. I pretty much agree with your review but would note the music and atmospherics were superb. You drop the apt Key Largo comparison but I would argue in terms of the atmospherics, mood and music, Hateful 8 succeeded.

Love to QT get his confidence back and set something in the present day.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:52 AM   #90
AndyLGR
IndyFan

I watched Hateful 8 recently on blu ray. I went in to it with no real baggage as I've only seen Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, and that was when they came out.

I enjoyed it. My initial thoughts at the end were that it was like Agatha Christies 'And Then There Were None'.

Despite it being set in one location I thought that didn't hamper it, and it gave me the feeling of being a play, with its one venue and also the running gag with the door that wouldn't shut. In fact I thought that gag was quite clever, as it disarmed me about everyone in there

The dialogue and performances kept it bubbling away nicely. He also did a good job of making me not like one single character in it, (with the exception the people that ran the place), which incidentally was a typically brutal scene.
AndyLGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:32 PM   #91
Pale Horse

Quote:

I can't wait to here you wax poetic or even beat poetic about him in this film:

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...e-star/525333/
Old 09-24-2017, 08:48 PM   #92
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Quote:
I can't wait to here you wax poetic or even beat poetic about him in this film:

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...e-star/525333/

Gotta admit, Kurt was solid in that role (although, I would have him driving a Z28 instead of a Mustang).

In other news. QT engaged and contemplating retirement.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:13 PM   #93
roundshort
IndyFan

Quote:
Gotta admit, Kurt was solid in that role (although, I would have him driving a Z28 instead of a Mustang).

In other news. QT engaged and contemplating retirement.

Like Audi, Ford never misses an opportunity for product placement. I would have gone 442 - Ego would have wanted more power...