User Name
Password

Old 11-27-2006, 07:00 PM   #51
shenshaw
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Holo
You got some dirt on Lucas? Do tell
If you do please keep it in a different forum. I'm not interested.
shenshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:44 PM   #52
Twilightpro101
IndyFan

Just find it interesting that they continue to drag out this sequel's production because they can't settle down on a script. It shouldn't be that difficult a task as many drafts as they've gone through.
Twilightpro101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 05:20 PM   #53
Moedred
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Holo
dirt on Lucas?
I'm not interested either, but now I can't stop wondering. If he's been single since '83, shouldn't this billionaire appear prominently in gossip magazines' hottest bachelor roundups? Or maybe he takes the Jedi celibacy thing seriously. Yes, that's definitely it. Case closed.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 02:57 AM   #54
AntiJones
IndyFan

The Frank Darabont Script - What if...

Here's an idea : eventhough the script was rejected by GL, SS likes it and who knows twenty or thirty years down the line, someone (may be son of Frank Darabont or SS) bought over the necessary Indiana jones movie-making rights from GL and decided to do a remake of Indy movies (Holywood does it all the time) and says, "I remember there used to be a script by Frank Darabont which Spielberg liked but didn't get to use it, how about we use that script?'

HF wouldn't be there but I don't mind watching it then.

That point all the more point us to look into the future.

http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=9983
AntiJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 11:58 AM   #55
TennesseBuck
IndyFan

Lightbulb

I have a feeling lucas rejected the Darabont script because it was more dialogue and humor than action, probably following the coattails of LAST CRUSADE's emphasis on the same. Spielberg probably liked the script so much because of that.

The real question is: would you prefer more dialogue than action in a new Indy film or vice versa?

Indiana Jones and the Web of Gold
http://www.geocities.com/faustus_085...anajones4.html
TennesseBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 06:29 PM   #56
torao
Moderator Emeritus

I rather don't want to believe in any kind of speculation as long as we simply don't know...

however...In theory I'd accept and maybe even prefer more CHARACTER than action....

But Indy can only live with a proper mix of the two.

I'd like this mix to be stretched as far to the character side as it goes. But that's all pointless phantasy blah blah. As a matter of fact I've never written an Indiana Jones script. And my knowledge on what actually works with that character and what doesn't probably reaches from limited to zero.
And in that "limited activity" and rather "passive consuming" experience with Indy I gotta say that I'd love to really dive into his dilemmas, weaknesses, his aging persona but still wanna see him kick some asses.
And I want to see that done in the Indiana Jonesesque fashion. Action is that it is so extraordinarily believable, that the triumph and more importantly the failures and weaknesses are credible... Action that is defined by character.

24 Days to go, Steven.

Last edited by torao : 12-07-2006 at 06:35 PM.
torao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 07:36 PM   #57
James
IndyFan

As much as I once wanted to believe Darabont had written the perfect Indy 4, it's also possible that his idea of where Indy should go would not have matched mine.

I'm not a big fan of the current trend of making everything overly-serious and dramatic. It may make it seem more worthy of internet discussion, but it's just not all that fun. Of course, I have no way of knowing what kind of script Darabont actually wrote, but the impression I always got was that he wrote it as a sequel to Raiders- rather than all three films. In other words, we could've had another Superman Returns on our hands!!! (No offense to any SR fans here.)

But the Indy films were movie escapism of the purest form, and Lucas was instrumental in the way the trilogy turned out. I may not agree with his post-80's output, but I suppose I can give him the benefit of the doubt when it comes to Indy.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 09:35 PM   #58
Patrick
IndyFan

Why can't they just make a movie? They weren't made to get oscars, they were supposed to be fun, action-packed b-movies, for both the viewers and the people who played in them. I can see them wanting to be good, but there's a limit to that. If you feel that its going to take 18 years for the same people to come up with a movie that fills the shoes for the last one, perhaps you shouldn't toy with people who are looking forward to it.

Not acting out on the idealism of 'its going to be the greatest film ever', goes against moviemaking, I think. In the time its going to take this movie, they could've made another one.

They're putting it up to an impossible standard. One that was above their last ones. I'm not sure why this happened.
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:05 PM   #59
James
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
They're putting it up to an impossible standard. One that was above their last ones. I'm not sure why this happened.

I agree. I think they've now waited so long, they've placed a ridiculous amount of expectations on the film. This is something you would've expected to have happened when preparing the first sequel- but not the third one.

People just want to see this character one last time, and they want it to be fun and enjoyable like the other films. I think the only way they could really screw it up, is by going out of their way to make it too different.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:36 PM   #60
Moedred
Administrator

More Darabont:

Lilja: What else are you working on? I read that you where involved in the 4th Indy Indiana Jones… How does it feel to work on something like that and then find out that they aren’t going to use your script?

Frank Darabont: Pretty awful. It was a wasted year or more of my life, and I have only so many years to devote. I worked very closely with Steven Spielberg, applied all my passion and skill, and gave him a script that he loved. He was ready to shoot it that very year -- 2003, I think? Maybe 2004? Well, no matter. The point is, Steven was ecstatic. We both were. It was going to be his next film. He told me it was the best script he'd read since Raiders of the Lost Ark. That's a quote, and I'll always treasure it. As a screenwriter, you dream of making a guy like Steven Spielberg happy and excited. Then George Lucas read it, didn't like it, and threw ice water on the whole thing. The project went down in flames. Steven and I looked like accident victims the day we got that call. I certainly don't blame Steven for it. He wasn't in a position to overrule George, and wouldn't have overruled him even if he could. He and George have been close friends for a long time, and they've had an agreement for years that no Indiana Jones film will ever get made unless they both completely agreed on the script. It was just such an awful surprise, after all my hopes and effort. I really felt I'd nailed it, and so did Steven. Yes, as you can imagine, I would rank that very high on my list of professional disappointments. More than that, it was emotionally devastating. For somebody who, as a young man, was inspired to want to be a filmmaker by Steven and George, by movies like THX-1138 and Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark, it was the ultimate kick in the nuts. In fact, it's the main reason I quit my career as a "writer-for-hire" (writing for other people for a living). It's not the only reason, but certainly a main reason. I swore never to go through that again. From now on, my intention is to write only for myself on projects that I produce or direct. You know, I am trying to turn it into something positive. When life hands you a blow like that, I think you should move on as well as you can, or you risk becoming an embittered ****head. I'd rather do the former and not the latter. The experience did get me to refocus my energies on my directing career, which for me always came second to writing. Now it comes first. So maybe it was a blessing in disguise.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:21 PM   #61
DarthLowBudget
IndyFan

It sucks that he's bitter, but I do have to say, it's all just talk until someone with an objective eye can judge his script. Why not let us see it eh? I'm suprised it hasn't leaked yet.
DarthLowBudget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:49 AM   #62
torao
Moderator Emeritus

I just listened to the CHUD Podcast. This time they have some audio bits of a rather chatty interview Nick did with the Hot Fuzz guys. They also talk about Indiana Jones because they're all obviously big Fans of it (esp. Raiders and TOD) and because Paul Freeman himself has a part in Hot Fuzz.

So they start talking about the fly thing and some other stuff...and
all of the sudden.... someone (I think it's Simon Pegg. I just put in my Shaun Of The Dead copy to do some voice identification. I think it's him.) says that he had the chance to read Darabont's draft.
"I really really really liked it. It's brilliant."
He says it had got anything an Indy film needs...great set pieces...some "rather horrifying stuff"(he also used some other word I didn't quite understand)

I think that Nick then mentions something along the lines of "I think it's one of his favorite things he's ever written" .. (well we already knew that as can be seen in Moedred's most recent entry in this thread)

I really urge you to listen to it yourselves!!!!! If you got a fast internet connection it doesn't take too long to download this ***** of a podcast. Once you've got it unto your computer just board it on 1 hour and 15 minutes and 30 seconds. The actual fly and Indy discussion though starts even before that and fortunately goes on a bit. They chat about Blanchett, say some cool things about TOD ...even go on about Ray Winstone...
I want you to listen to it yourselves because after all I may not have understood everything that well...and maybe it's not Simon Pegg but someone else so....just check it out!!!!
This is the actual website link which also has a little description as to how you can download it at iTunes. Otherwise just go over to iTunes in the Podcast section and search for Chud. It's the 20th of their podcasts.

After all...the person whom I identified as Simon Pegg also referred to Last Crusade as a "Jedi style rehash of the first two". I love(d) Last Crusade. So...this has nothing to do with the fact that the Darabont draft may be brilliant and is therefore part of a tragic (personal) artistic story. But who knows what brilliance the final shooting draft may include (despite how bad Koepp and Nathanson may look next to FRANK DARABONT).

What I actually wonder now is if they really had to start from the scratch. I know that they certainly saved some ideas from the Columbus thing for Last Crusade. But how are regulations in that area? Is it Darabont's or Lucas' property?
Because...if it had these great set pieces (and we've all heard how hard it is to have original ideas as far as the whole action-set pieces stuff is concerned)

it would be pretty tough to not use them in the next one, if they fit to the overall story. Another thing that bugs me is that, if it is a basic idea George Lucas wasn't fond of, why didn't he intervent earlier? But maybe that's just a risk of doing the "writing for hire" job.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:46 PM   #63
Moedred
Administrator

So the co-writer/star of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz says he got to read Darabont's script. I hope that doesn't mean it's been tossed completely. I followed the maze to the podcast but couldn't fast-forward, unfortunately. Great find torao! Any spoilers mentioned?
Old 04-11-2007, 04:04 PM   #64
torao
Moderator Emeritus

mmmmhhhh....as far as Indy and Hot Fuzz are concerned there are no spoilers whatsoever...
Old 04-11-2007, 04:44 PM   #65
Moedred
Administrator

Loved the doc by the way. Apparently it was taped on Spielberg's 60th birthday, Dec. 18 2006. Don't know how theRaider missed it.

Key Spielberg quote at minute 52: "So many movies inspired by the Indiana Jones series have... created tremendous set pieces... that have basically scooped any possible original set piece for Indy 4 and left us very little meat still to be picked off the bone." I bet at least one or two set pieces had to be dropped during the decade of rewrites, because they got scooped! (And he mentions the Matrix.)
Old 04-12-2007, 07:49 PM   #66
torao
Moderator Emeritus

yeah, it's a pretty cool and important quote. good that you mention it!!!

I hope someone here will actually get to hear Simon Pegg or whomever unleashing his mysterious knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred
I hope that doesn't mean it's been tossed completely.
tossed meaning scrapped... because it's passed around like that?
yeah....questions over questions.... i've said it before but Indy IV is indeed like some kind of real life LOST and I like it that way...i guess.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:32 PM   #67
StwongBwidge
IndyFan

Darabont on MTV

Just read the Darabont MTV interview and have to admit every time I think about it I get one of those "what if?" moments... Of course none of us have seen the script - Aaron aside...hmmm - but what a combination: an Indy nut plus he has the writing ability to produce the shawshank script. God only knows what richness and texture he brought to the further characterization and ageing of Indy. I sense it would have been the precise treatment most of us here ache for. Its devastating really.

Part of me seriously worries that Speilberg just wants this so badly that he's convinced himself to go along with an Indy Lite script, on a totally different trajectory, with a totally different spin on how the character would be in middle age... and not different for the better. Pessimistic maybe, but Darabont + Indy + filming four years ago would surely have been so sooo good.

I'm still as excited as anything, but like I say, keep getting those "what if" feelings...
StwongBwidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:47 PM   #68
deckard24
IndyFan

You can tell in the Darabont interview how crushed he was that it was canned. We may know none of the particulars, but man does Lucas sound like a pr**k after reading that. I really hope after IJ4 comes out, it's available to read.
What could possibly have been in it that Lucas was so objectionable about. Maybe some wicked dialogue like, " I hate sand, it gets everywhere!" or perhaps,"You're so beautiful." " No, it's only because I'm in love!" " No, it's because I'm sooo in love with you!".
Wasn't it Ford who said, "You can write this s**t George, you just can't speak it!"
deckard24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:51 PM   #69
Moedred
Administrator

Darabont: I told him he was crazy... "I think you're insane, George."

Wow, I hope some or all of the Darabont script wasn't scrapped purely out of spite. My guess is Lucas objected to Indy hitting on his (unbeknownst to him) daughter. Whether he was so repelled he replaced her with a son, I dunno.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:18 PM   #70
Adamwankenobi
IndyFan

Quote:
My guess is Lucas objected to Indy hitting on his (unbeknownst to him) daughter.

Like I've said before, that would be very ironic of Lucas.
Adamwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:19 PM   #71
Redskull
IndyFan

Frank Darabont script

anyone have the draft that was rejected? I would love to read it.
Redskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:17 PM   #72
Rae-deemer
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskull
anyone have the draft that was rejected? I would love to read it.

Sure. I was just reading some of it while I was on the can. How many copies would you like?
Rae-deemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:24 PM   #73
effin
IndyFan

Dig

2 please!

effin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:13 PM   #74
IndyJr.
IndyFan

Can you get me a link?
IndyJr. is offline   Reply With Quote