References to previous installments in Kotcs

IJ_KELLER

Howdy. If this has already been started then my apologies. I noticed a possible referance to last crusade in Kotcs. a cup that looks alot like the Holy grail on a shelf in the doomtown house. Has anybody else seen this or any past Indy movie referance (besides the Ark)?

martinland

IJ_KELLER said:
a cup that looks alot like the Holy grail on a shelf in the doomtown house. Has anybody else seen this or any past Indy movie referance (besides the Ark)?
Wow, cool! A reason to watch it yet again! ;) ;) ;)

There were many, many allusions to the old trilogy:

Dialogue:

Indy: "I've heard that bed time story..."

Marion: "Indiana Jones!"

Indy: "Junior!" (sort of ;))

Indy: "I have a bad feeling about his" - taken from another trilogy though ;) ;) ;)

There are more - please help me recalling them! :D

The banter (maybe it's more serious ;) ) between Indy and Marion is full of old stuff.

Actions:

Of course there's Mutt receiving the hat as young Indy did but not quite.

There are great punches by Indy that look very similar...

Iconic Imagery:

The Paramount Logo fade, of course.

The sihouette of Indy donning his hat!!!!

Certain camera setups are completely the same (congrats to Spielberg and Kaminski!): E.g. when the dean sits down in the hallway the shot has the same look+fell as the one w/ Indy's father sitting down in Brunwald castle.

A lot of trademark Indy expressions like smirks, looks etc.

That's just from the top of my head...

Bye,
Martin

Benraianajones

I always thought the bit where Mutt is stretched out with his legs between the jeeps in the jungle was a little "call back" to Short Round's scene where he was stretched out between two mining carts.

Also during the truck chase, we heard some of the climactic chase music from Raiders to a similar shot from Raiders with the vehicles kind of running in to one another, and also, some of the tank/horse from Crusade music plays when Irina has the skull and is getting away in front.

whipem

Don't forget the end, where Mac is hanging by Indy's whip...very reminiscent of Elsa in LC.

James

I don't think he did, although there's a photo of Willie in her red dress in the background at Indy's home.

mutt willams

what about that part where the guys chasing indy and mutt in the car, run into the statue of Marcus Brody, Mutt laughs and indy glares at him and mutt shuts up, like in the last crusuede (please excuse my spelling) where indy crashes that nazi bike and starts laughing, and indys father glares at him and he shuts up.

IndyCam

Music References

I know that JW incorporates previous tunes into the movies but I was surprised how much he used(I'm not complaining). I absolutely loved the Grail Theme at the end of the film.

Sharlow

Nod to Crusade in KOTCS

Okay, went and watched it a second time today, my hubby thinks I'm insane but there you go.

anyway, while thoroughly enjoying it yet again, I noticed something in the cemetary scene's, just before Indy opens the secret passage in the tomb.

Is it just me or is there a Nod to the Penitent man scene from crusaders there or not. The wind blowing thru the cobwebs just made me think of that scene straight away.

Sorry if this has already been hashed out, newbie here, still trying to wade thru the 1000's of post you guys have written about this movie.

jtobin13

lc nod

ill look for it today!!jt
Also want to see the Sierrs madre reference again

Last edited:

deckard24

Sharlow said:
Okay, went and watched it a second time today, my hubby thinks I'm insane but there you go.

anyway, while thoroughly enjoying it yet again, I noticed something in the cemetary scene's, just before Indy opens the secret passage in the tomb.

Is it just me or is there a Nod to the Penitent man scene from crusaders there or not. The wind blowing thru the cobwebs just made me think of that scene straight away.

Sorry if this has already been hashed out, newbie here, still trying to wade thru the 1000's of post you guys have written about this movie.
I thought that too!

I also saw the Grail on the bookcase in Doom Town, or I should say not "the" grail, but a mock up as a little nod. KOTCS overall seems to have lots of little acknowledgments to the previous films.

mutt willams

now that you mention it i saw the grail too, in the theater i just glimpsed it and couldnt tell if it was the grail or not, but i no it was the grail now

MonarchOfTheSea

Sharlow said:

I thought the bit where Indy puts his hand in the hole to pull the lever was a nod to TOD, with Willie sticking her hand in the slimey hole to reset the trap.

Also, the bit where Charlie enters the classroom reminded me of Marcus in ROTLA & LC.

michael

Also in the Cemetary scene, where Indy and Mutt get in the room that has the Crystal Skull. Indy says "Don't touch anything." The way he said it reminded me of the spike room scene with him and Short Round and how he tells pretty much the same thing.

Teq87

Note the 'Bird' sound in the cementary scene which is exactly the same one as the opening of Raiders!

Udvarnoky

While I still think it was wholly unnecessary to give Indy a son, the best callbacks in this movie were the ones that played into the father-son role reversal and made Indy into Henry Sr. The bit on the motorcycle with Indy and Mutt that has been said is the best example, but Indy also quotes Henry when he says, "This is intolerable!" on the way to the quicksand pit and "Well done" when the obelisk puzzle is solved. And of course, referring to Mutt as Junior doesn't even need to be pointed out.

James

There's the Pancho Villa one.

But not only does it reference Young Indy, it also works as a clever nod to Frederick Mitchell-Hedges. Prior to the crystal skull, he also claimed to have ridden with (or rather, been kidnapped by) Pancho Villa.

TREN KROM

You guys are being pretty paranoid, well maybe thats a bad choice of words but still. About 70% percent of the things said where just coinsidences or are too loosely connected to be true.

deckard24 said:
I thought that too!

I also saw the Grail on the bookcase in Doom Town, or I should say not "the" grail, but a mock up as a little nod. KOTCS overall seems to have lots of little acknowledgments to the previous films.

So do the Star Wars prequels and they are still crap. Indy 5 or 6 will probably be falling back on references from KOTCS which will include more gophers, monkeys and nuclear fridges. In a scene in the Jones family house you will spot the lead-lined refrigerator in Marion's kitchen while a gopher surreptitiously watches the family having dinner through the window and the adopted pet monkey swings from the chandalier.