The X-Files

|ZiR|

-Jones- said:
They did something strange to Duchovny's face

Anderson's face too. They've both got this waxdoll look going on. It's kinda freakin' me out. The whole thing looks like an amatur photoshop -- not something official. No KotC poster was ever this bad looking. :<

I love that they let Gillian keep her hair long for the role. I never understood why they kept in that awkward undercut bob for most of the series; much more attractive this way.

Paden said:
Honestly, I'm more enthused about this film that the first X-Files film, in part because it is a self-contained story. Much as I enjoyed the ongoing conspiracy plots, some of my favorite episodes were the "monster-of-the week" fare.

The stand alone episodes were my favorites as well, which is why I have hope for this movie. No black oil, or super babies, thank you very much.

However, I'd have to agree with prior speculation in this thread about the movie's success at the box office. Certainly longtime fans of the series will buy tickets, but I'm not sure how much interest the rest of the viewing public is going to have.

Oh, I think this movie is most definitely going to fail. The simply waited too long. Their audience has moved on in the meantime leaving only the die hard fans behind.

MarxBrosFan

|ZiR| said:
!!! BREAKING NEWS !!!

Supposed synopsis (from the back of the novelization) has leaked!

"Mulder and Scully are back in the thrilling novelization of the summer 2008 blockbuster movie based on the classic X-Files TV show! When a group of women are abducted in the wintry hills of rural Virginia, the only clues to their disappearance are the grotesque human remains that begin to turn up in snow banks along the highway. With officials desperate for any lead, a disgraced priest’s questionable “visions” send local police on a wild goose chase and straight to a bizarre secret medical experiment that may or may not be connected to the women’s disappearance. It’s a case right out of The X-Files. But the FBI closed down its investigations into the paranormal years ago. And the best team for the job is ex-agents Fox Mulder and Dr. Dana Scully, who have no desire to revisit their dark past. Still, the truth of these horrific crimes is out there somewhere...and it will take Mulder and Scully to find it!"

Sounds cool. If it's true, that is.

I wonder why Mulder chooses to investigate this case. It seems kind of run of the mill. I hope they give him some special motivation for
coming out of retirement

I wasn't sure if my last sentence was a spoiler but it's better to be safe than sorry.

|ZiR|

The Man said:
New trailer...

Oh my.

Well that was... anticlimactic. I haven't been following this as closely as Indy IV, but I think we've seen most of the footage before; in the original trailor, and promo pictures.

Don't get me wrong, I really want this movie to rock. I'm not voting for it to fail. It just doesn't seem all that great right now. And I can but wonder if this film will possibly set up, or renew interest in another X-Files television series. Hmm.

The Man

|ZiR| said:
Oh my.

Well that was... anticlimactic. I haven't been following this as closely as Indy IV, but I think we've seen most of the footage before; in the original trailor, and promo pictures.

Don't get me wrong, I really want this movie to rock. I'm not voting for it to fail. It just doesn't seem all that great right now. And I can but wonder if this film will possibly set up, or renew interest in another X-Files television series. Hmm.

How long did the series run for originally? I got lost after Mulder disappeared and Doggett came aboard.

|ZiR|

The Man said:
How long did the series run for originally? I got lost after Mulder disappeared and Doggett came aboard.

Nine seasons, from 1993 to 2002. I'm guessing you stopped stopped around season eight, which was pretty wise. Reyes and Doggett were a poor substitute for Mulder and Scully. They didn't have that certain spark which made the former so dynamic. Personally, I would've gone with partners of the same gender. That way sexual tension and inevitable comparisons to Mulder/Scully would have been minimized.

The Man

|ZiR| said:
Nine seasons, from 1993 to 2002. I'm guessing you stopped stopped around season eight, which was pretty wise. Reyes and Doggett were a poor substitute for Mulder and Scully. They didn't have that certain spark which made the former so dynamic. Personally, I would've gone with partners of the same gender. That way sexual tension and inevitable comparisons to Mulder/Scully would have been minimized.

How did it all end? Were Scully and Mulder not featured in the finale?

|ZiR|

The Man said:
How did it all end? Were Scully and Mulder not featured in the finale?

No. Mulder appeared in plot heavy episodes and flashbacks. And Scully was in a good few of the episodes, occasionally showing up even once Reyes and Doggett took over. I haven't seen the final episode since it originally aired, so here's a synopis of it from the X-Files wikia. Credit goes to whomever.

When Fox Mulder is placed under military arrest, Scully and Skinner immediately travel to Virginia to see him. Mulder has been placed under arrest for breaking into Mount Weather - where he accessed information on alien technology - and allegedly killing Knowle Rohrer, Doggett's former army friend-turned-supersoldier.

While Mulder receives mysterious visits from phantoms of his past, Scully and Skinner go to great lengths to get him released, but he is ultimately put on trial - a trial with an outcome seemingly set from the start.

Skinner takes Mulder's defense, while Scully, Monica Reyes, Doggett, Marita Covarrubias, Gibson Praise and Jeffrey Spender take the stand. Although they ultimately prove his case - when Scully discovers that the body is not that of Knowle Rohrer - their testimony is overruled and Mulder is sentenced to death.

With the surprising help of Deputy Director Alvin Kersh, the group break him free and Mulder and Scully drive off. Despite being told to get out of the country, Mulder drives instead south to New Mexico. Doggett and Reyes return to find their office emptied, suggesting that the X-Files have been closed down for a third time. Skinner finds himself being called in for a meeting with Kersh and the Toothpick Man and we see him for the last time as the door closes behind him. Gibson warns Doggett and Reyes that Mulder is in danger.

In New Mexico, Scully and Mulder arrive at a pueblo where a dying Cigarette Smoking Man is hiding out to survive the colonization - an event that will happen on December 22, 2012, this corresponds to a significant date in the Mayan Calendar perhaps the end of the world. Outside, Reyes and Doggett face off against Knowle Rohrer, who has been sent to kill Mulder and the Smoking Man. The pueblo is filled with magnetite, which kills Rohrer as he advances on Doggett and Reyes. Switching cars with Mulder and Scully, the agents drive off. The helicopters destroy the pueblo - and the Smoking Man - before giving chase to the wrong car and we last see Doggett and Reyes,holding hands, driving off with them in pursuit.

In a hotel room in New Mexico, Mulder and Scully prepare for bed and talk. Their final words:

SCULLY: You've always said that you want to believe. But believe in what Mulder? If this is the truth that you've been looking for then what is left to believe in?

MULDER: I want to believe that the dead are not lost to us. That they speak to us as part of something greater than us-- greater than any alien force. And if you and I are powerless now, I want to believe that if we listen to what's speaking, it can give us the power to save ourselves.

SCULLY: Then we believe the same thing.

MULDER: Maybe there's hope.

It's better in text than it was on TV, from what I recall.

There used to be this awesome plot guide to the series, it covered everything--MotW, black oil, super soldiers, etc.--but I can't seem to locate it. Probably gone. But there's a lot more too the two final seasons than I've mentioned, and they definitely have their moments, so I think it's worth checking them out if you can get used to the new leads.

The Man

|ZiR| said:
No. Mulder appeared in plot heavy episodes and flashbacks. And Scully was in a good few of the episodes, occasionally showing up even once Reyes and Doggett took over. I haven't seen the final episode since it originally aired, so here's a synopis of it from the X-Files wikia. Credit goes to whomever.

When Fox Mulder is placed under military arrest, Scully and Skinner immediately travel to Virginia to see him. Mulder has been placed under arrest for breaking into Mount Weather - where he accessed information on alien technology - and allegedly killing Knowle Rohrer, Doggett's former army friend-turned-supersoldier.

While Mulder receives mysterious visits from phantoms of his past, Scully and Skinner go to great lengths to get him released, but he is ultimately put on trial - a trial with an outcome seemingly set from the start.

Skinner takes Mulder's defense, while Scully, Monica Reyes, Doggett, Marita Covarrubias, Gibson Praise and Jeffrey Spender take the stand. Although they ultimately prove his case - when Scully discovers that the body is not that of Knowle Rohrer - their testimony is overruled and Mulder is sentenced to death.

With the surprising help of Deputy Director Alvin Kersh, the group break him free and Mulder and Scully drive off. Despite being told to get out of the country, Mulder drives instead south to New Mexico. Doggett and Reyes return to find their office emptied, suggesting that the X-Files have been closed down for a third time. Skinner finds himself being called in for a meeting with Kersh and the Toothpick Man and we see him for the last time as the door closes behind him. Gibson warns Doggett and Reyes that Mulder is in danger.

In New Mexico, Scully and Mulder arrive at a pueblo where a dying Cigarette Smoking Man is hiding out to survive the colonization - an event that will happen on December 22, 2012, this corresponds to a significant date in the Mayan Calendar perhaps the end of the world. Outside, Reyes and Doggett face off against Knowle Rohrer, who has been sent to kill Mulder and the Smoking Man. The pueblo is filled with magnetite, which kills Rohrer as he advances on Doggett and Reyes. Switching cars with Mulder and Scully, the agents drive off. The helicopters destroy the pueblo - and the Smoking Man - before giving chase to the wrong car and we last see Doggett and Reyes,holding hands, driving off with them in pursuit.

In a hotel room in New Mexico, Mulder and Scully prepare for bed and talk. Their final words:

SCULLY: You've always said that you want to believe. But believe in what Mulder? If this is the truth that you've been looking for then what is left to believe in?

MULDER: I want to believe that the dead are not lost to us. That they speak to us as part of something greater than us-- greater than any alien force. And if you and I are powerless now, I want to believe that if we listen to what's speaking, it can give us the power to save ourselves.

SCULLY: Then we believe the same thing.

MULDER: Maybe there's hope.

It's better in text than it was on TV, from what I recall.

There used to be this awesome plot guide to the series, it covered everything--MotW, black oil, super soldiers, etc.--but I can't seem to locate it. Probably gone. But there's a lot more too the two final seasons than I've mentioned, and they definitely have their moments, so I think it's worth checking them out if you can get used to the new leads.

The black oil - that's the last plotline I fully remember. After Smoking Man shot his son, the whole thing's rather blurry to me.

Agent Z

Nothing in that trailer worked for me. It felt like a spot for an upcoming episode, not something for the big screen.

I think I'm tired of the whole "baiting" aspect of this franchise, usually talking in vague tones and always seeming more excited about it than one has a right to be when they do so....

xfkirsten

Glad to see I'm not the only one disappointed in the new trailer! I'm excited as all get-up for this movie (there's a reason there's an "xf" in my username) but that trailer just felt really lacking. 6 years of waiting, and I feel a bit let down by it...

|ZiR|

Anyone still excited for this movie besides me? Admittedly, the more I see, the less good it seems but just having Fox and Scully back together again is enough for me.

1213136447275.jpg

Looks better than the first film, at any rate.

OmegaSeamaster

MarxBrosFan said:
I'm totally pumped for it but I'm afraid it won't make that much money. I think this will be the last hurrah for the X-Files. Of coure I hope I'm wrong and we will see at least one more in the future.

Just tell all the Indy 4 apologists to go see a movie that actually deserves to have a UFO in it, and it should do just fine.

OmegaSeamaster

xfkirsten said:
Glad to see I'm not the only one disappointed in the new trailer! I'm excited as all get-up for this movie (there's a reason there's an "xf" in my username) but that trailer just felt really lacking. 6 years of waiting, and I feel a bit let down by it...

Hahaha! Just be thankful Chris Carter didn't decide to have Mulder and Scully go off to hunt for King Solomon's Mines!!!

Right George? ;)

xfkirsten

OmegaSeamaster said:
Hahaha! Just be thankful Chris Carter didn't decide to have Mulder and Scully go off to hunt for King Solomon's Mines!!!

Right George? ;)

...I'd say "prease to have X-Files Christmas Special"? But we've kinda already had a couple of episodes like that. :p

|ZiR|

Well, since we have nothing new to chat about, can we talk X-Files in general?

Favorite episodes? I always preferred the MOTW ones.

Ice
Bad Blood
Firewalker
Irresistible
Triangle
How The Ghosts Stole Christmas
Arcadia
Orison

I think those are my favorites. It varies but BB, HtGSC, and Ice are always on there.

xfkirsten

|ZiR| said:
Well, since we have nothing new to chat about, can we talk X-Files in general?

Favorite episodes? I always preferred the MOTW ones.

Ice
Bad Blood
Firewalker
Irresistible
Triangle
How The Ghosts Stole Christmas
Arcadia
Orison

I think those are my favorites. It varies but BB, HtGSC, and Ice are always on there.

Those were a lot of my faves, as well. I really loved "Unruhe" because it scared the snot out of me. The ones that scared me the most were the ones where the paranormal aspect was less (and thus the likelihood of something like that really happening was higher). I was also a shameless MSR fan, so I loved any of the 'shippy episodes, although I Hate (yes, with a capital H) how CC played their relationship out in the end. Fanfic authors did it better and more in-character. :p

I also really loved:
Post-Modern Prometheus
The Unnatural
Hollywood AD
Essence/Existence
Requiem
Detour
Small Potatoes

...and "Sunshine Days," just for the total absurdity of the whole episode. :p