Ants! Why did it have to be ants?

Jones_Happens

Does anyone else look at ants differently following KOTCS. I never had a problem with ants in the past, but now they give me the willies.

:eek:

Michael24

I've never minded ants unless a trail of them find their way into the house, then we break out the bug spray. But even before, when I've found just one by itself near a window or door, I've actually taken the time to get it on a piece of paper and then put it back outside. Spiders I smash flat at first sight, but ants and especially rolly pollies I've generally been rather nice to. :)

EvilDevo

Nah, ants are pretty cool little creatures. Interesting to watch them go about their daily activities.

Michael, you should leave spiders alone too. WHAT DID THEY EVER DO TO YOU?

In all seriousness, do what you want... I just don't understand how people can kill stuff. Or rather, go out of their way to kill stuff.

eroc

The ants were great. It was so nice, and ironic, to see the Red Army f'ed up by an army of Red Ants!

Snakes

I love ants, there awesome. I am a bit more unnerved by them after KOTCS, but not enough for me not to stop and watch them. If I see millions of inch long ants swarming out of the ground though, I'll get the heck it outta' there.

Michael24

EvilDevo said:
Nah, ants are pretty cool little creatures. Interesting to watch them go about their daily activities.
Yeah, they are kinda fascinating to watch when they're out in the yard or on a sidewalk.

EvilDevo said:
Michael, you should leave spiders alone too. WHAT DID THEY EVER DO TO YOU?

In all seriousness, do what you want... I just don't understand how people can kill stuff. Or rather, go out of their way to kill stuff.
Indy's got his snakes, I've got my spiders. :D But, when you wake up one morning and find a trail of ants marching across your floor or kitchen counter going after some food source, what are you to do? We've even occasionally found a Black Widow outside the house. Needless to say, those suckers don't last for very long. :gun:

Crack that whip

Michael24 said:
Needless to say, those suckers don't last for very long. :gun:

If :gun: is really the method you use to control them you must go through an awful lot of bullets. Aren't there more cost-effective solutions?
:p

Michael24

Crack that whip said:
If :gun: is really the method you use to control them you must go through an awful lot of bullets. Aren't there more cost-effective solutions?
:p
LMAO!! Yeah, a shoe works just as well I suppose. (y)

Forbidden Eye

Was anyone slightly disappointed in the creature?

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is easily the most fascinating and interesting movies to discuss recently because 50% of die-hard fans, film-goers and the average joes LOVE this film while 50% of the die-hard fans, film-goers and the average joes HATE this movie. I'm without a doubt in the former. I LOVE KOTCS! I thought it was a near perfect Indy film.

The only minor fanboy quibble I have is the creature. Did anyone else have the same feeling? Raiders has snakes, Doom had snakes, Crusade has rats while Skull... had more insects?

Seriously, I never felt the ants or the scorpions felt at all like a real "replacement" as the three mentioned above. Maybe it was because the scorpions were barely in the film and the ants weren't inside a secret chamber/tunnel, so that felt missing.

In the end, it doesn't really matter. David Koepp and co. all stated they weren't making "fan-script" but still made lots of references and used all the past elements that made an Indy film, except the creature. I just somewhat wished they had an official "creature" or made better use of the ones they had. That's honestly my one real flaw with this film(I'm seeing it again soon).

Anybody else feel this way?

James

Actually, I thought the choice of ants was pretty clever. They featured prominently in two classic 50s movies: "The Naked Jungle" and "Them!" The latter movie was about giant ants that have been mutated by atomic testing.

They're also the first 'creature' since Raiders to actually pose a threat to Indy.

|ZiR|

James said:
Actually, I thought the choice of ants was pretty clever. They featured prominently in two classic 50s movies: "The Naked Jungle" and "Them!" The latter movie was about giant ants that have been mutated by atomic testing.

They're also the first 'creature' since Raiders to actually pose a threat to Indy.

I agree with everything this man said.

Forbidden Eye

Well, it's not so much I didn't like the ants in general, I just didn't feel they were a real "replacement" of the other ones.

The fact they were outside and not a part of a secret temple just didn't make it seem like a creature you would see in an Indy film.

Avilos

I agree James.

At the same time I always knew that "The Creature Scene" was going to be one of the hardest things to satisfy people with. The obvious creatures had already been done.

Also lets not forget the Scorpions with Mutt!

The Rats were not in the main Temple or artifact site at the end of the movie either. Those appear in the middle of the film. Even the Bugs in Temple of Doom were more of a minor diversion. Not at the climax.

davejames

The idea of a swarm of giant ants is definitely a good one for an Indy movie. Unfortunately the obvious CGI nature of them in this one really removed the "creep factor" for me.

whipem

davejames said:
The idea of a swarm of giant ants is definitely a good one for an Indy movie. Unfortunately the obvious CGI nature of them in this one really removed the "creep factor" for me.

I agree, I'd have taken realism over sheer amount in this case. Besides, I've already seen The Mummy, Mr. Lucas.

Avilos

whipem said:
I agree, I'd have taken realism over sheer amount in this case. Besides, I've already seen The Mummy, Mr. Lucas.

Then people would have said "There weren't ENOUGH ANTS!!!"