Discuss Chapter 1 - Nevada, 1957 (DVD chapter by chapter discussion)

WeAreGoingToDie

Now that the DVD is out, I thought I'd kick off what were my favorite topics at the TF.N forums for the prequel DVDs. Every Wednesday another chapter of the Crystal Skull DVD will be discussed. Discussion focuses only on the DVD chapter of that thread. Feel free to talk about anything from film techniques, to acting, to SFX. Feel free to post screengrabs from that chapter as well to make your point or to just show a favorite scene. It's like we're all watching it together!

Please no trolling or bashing of the film. I'd like a friendly discussion for those who enjoy the film and watching it on the small screen. (y)

Chapter 1 - Nevada, 1957

00:00 - 07:20

picture2ai2.png

Our first look at Indy in 19 years. While his entrance in this outing doesn't begin with a bang, it is definitely unexpected. "Hound Dog" opens the film with titles in the classic Raiders font. We're introduced to what seems to be a U.S. Army convoy drag racing with a car full of 50's teenagers.

The tone shifts as the convoy turns out to be Russians breaking into a certain secret government compound. The cars stop in front of a warehouse and the trunk is opened to reveal a newcomer to the franchise, Ray Winstone as George "Mac" McHale. Following Mac is our hero Indy, who is given a excellent silhouetted entrance to the film.

Another newcomer is introduced, Cate Blanchett as KGB baddie Irina Spalko. Spalko tells Indy of her background and (possible) psychic abilities, and assures Indy that he will help them find what they seek. The Warehouse doors open...

RocketSledFight

WeAreGoingToDie, this is a very cool idea, I think.

What strikes me about the first chapter is how it so seamlessly brings back the aesthetic of the opening of Last Crusade, while seguing into the 1950s in what I think is a pretty clever way. Some of the best cinematography in the film is here as well, and the scenes outside the warehouse have a perfect B-Movie old fashioned glow to them.

WeAreGoingToDie

Call me crazy, but I felt that this first chapter felt almost like a dance. The first seven minutes were heavily choreographed (though not in a negative sense) compared to the rest of the film. The music, shots and actors all hit their marks and beats so perfectly that after a few viewings I knew every action and line of dialogue.

Am I right in saying that this was the first sequence to be shot? If so, I can tell they were giving it their all for every element to be perfect. I love this intro, but I'm glad things loosened up as the film went on.

Stoo

The opening scene is my favourite in the whole film even though it doesn't have Indy!:eek: I love when the '32 Ford swerves
off-road to avoid the oncoming truck and the best shot is its reflection in the chrome of the hubcap. Nice composition.

torao

Moderator Emeritus
WeAreGoingToDie said:
The first seven minutes were heavily choreographed (though not in a negative sense) compared to the rest of the film. The music, shots and actors all hit their marks and beats so perfectly that after a few viewings I knew every action and line of dialogue.
That's generally what should separate the opening sequence of an Indy flick from the rest of the movie.

Crusade>Raiders

WeAreGoingToDie said:
Call me crazy, but I felt that this first chapter felt almost like a dance. The first seven minutes were heavily choreographed (though not in a negative sense) compared to the rest of the film. The music, shots and actors all hit their marks and beats so perfectly that after a few viewings I knew every action and line of dialogue.

I completely agree. The Russians, the soldiers, the kids, even Indy/Mac had these precise, swift movements. It moved fluidly, and it gave the impression that this film would be great.

LOL.

Benraianajones

Wasn't that font also used for The Last Crusade?

I did actually like the intro with "Hound Dog" despite not really being a fan of Elvis or anything like that. I like the innocence of the teens racing and girls saying "go faster!", totally unaware of the ominous goings on, and especially, unaware of the alien life unveiled at the end of the movie.

Kind of reminds me of Pedator one. Where they are in the chopper, I think to "Long tall Sally", and it all seems generally Earthly and "innocent", and no one is aware of the alien presence.

I admit, I like the colours when the car passes the gopher hole, and then it goes to a long shot showing the landscape, it was very colourful. Reminded me a little of TLC's scenary.

WeAreGoingToDie

Right you are! All but ToD used the same opening credits font. ToD used the Indy font as we know it from merchandise. I'm very happy they remained true to the classic font used in Raiders intro.

raiders5.jpg

Sankara

@WeAreGoingToDie
We did a great film? That's not right. It's the worst Indy-Movie - that's for sure! Most people think that Skull is the worst Indy-Movie according to imdb, rottentomatoes or the empire magazine...

Now back to topic:

The opining scene is one of the best scenes of movie. Okay, the CGI-Animal is embarrassing and not necessary. The Elvis-Song is a little bit to long and boring. I mean... you heard this song in 10.000 movies before...

But the Idea "Indy is kidnapped in the back of car" is just great! It's very sad that this movie is full of lousy ideas... but this idea is brilliant and Indy-Like!!!

BUT: Of course this is the worst of the Indy-Openings... Nothing against "Raiders" and "Crusade"... maybe it's on one level with Doom.

UltimateManGod

I find it interesting how even though all the openings are the tail ends of adventures, all four set up important characters for the main adventures in the films. Belloq in Raiders, Willie and Shorty in Doom, Henry in Crusade, and Mac and Spalko in Kingdom.

Benraianajones

Sankara said:
@WeAreGoingToDie
We did a great film? That's not right. It's the worst Indy-Movie - that's for sure! Most people think that Skull is the worst Indy-Movie according to imdb, rottentomatoes or the empire magazine...

The opining scene is one of the best scenes of movie. Okay, the CGI-Animal is embarrassing and not necessary.

But the Idea "Indy is kidnapped in the back of car" is just great! It's very sad that this movie is full of lousy ideas... but this idea is brilliant and Indy-Like!!!

BUT: Of course this is the worst of the Indy-Openings... Nothing against "Raiders" and "Crusade"... maybe it's on one level with Doom.

No offence but we have heard it all before already. I agree the gopher wasn't needed. Lots of idiots use websites such as rottentomatoes and imdb, so I would never really take people's opinions on them places as solid gold in quality (though it is true, KOTCS does get the most hate of all the Indy films). All you needed to say was what aspect you liked...that the fact Indy was in the car kidnapped had good potential. We already all know you hate the movie.

Darth Vile

Sankara said:
@WeAreGoingToDie

I believe the entire 10/15 minutes intro of KOTCS is far superior than the TOD and TLC counterparts e.g. Club Obi-Wan and "Young Indy" sequences. I actually find it hard to believe that you would prefer the Cross of Coronado intro to TLC (which seems to epitomize everything you find fault with in KOTCS? and then some), to what I see to be classic Indy action in the warehouse/bunker. :rolleyes:

Benraianajones

Darth Vile said:
I believe the entire 10/15 minutes intro of KOTCS is far superior than the TOD and TLC counterparts e.g. Club Obi-Wan and "Young Indy" sequences. I actually find it hard to believe that you would prefer the Cross of Coronado intro to TLC (which seems to epitomize everything you find fault with in KOTCS… and then some), to what I see to be classic Indy action in the warehouse/bunker. :rolleyes:

Same, really.I admit, I do like TOD's intro, and I like TLC's however, sometimes I do skip the whole young Indy part, and start the movie from when Indy raises his head on the boat and recieves the punch to his face. TLC is probably my fave film as well, yet is the only movie where sometimes I skip the intro, so I can get to the "real" Indy. Though I appreciate TLC's intro wants to just show essentialy, that Indy's dad has been obsessed wth the grailand oblivious to Indy's antics, since he was small, to enforce the importance of when his dad calls him Indiana near the end. The young Indy sequence doesn't ruin the entire movie, it is at the start, easily skipped, and doesn't really hurt the movie.

WeAreGoingToDie

@Sankara: Despite your obvious attempts at trolling, thank you for your obvious attempts at staying on topic.

@UltimateManGod: Good point! Also to note, Raiders is still the only Indy film to feature Harrison as the credits roll. In all other films he appears just after the director credit. Also, to over analyze the typography of the credits:

27633890ai9.jpg

Despite the same font, there's a lot of variation!

Darth Vile

Benraianajones said:
Same, really.I admit, I do like TOD's intro, and I like TLC's however, sometimes I do skip the whole young Indy part, and start the movie from when Indy raises his head on the boat and recieves the punch to his face. TLC is probably my fave film as well, yet is the only movie where sometimes I skip the intro, so I can get to the "real" Indy. Though I appreciate TLC's intro wants to just show essentialy, that Indy's dad has been obsessed wth the grailand oblivious to Indy's antics, since he was small, to enforce the importance of when his dad calls him Indiana near the end. The young Indy sequence doesn't ruin the entire movie, it is at the start, easily skipped, and doesn't really hurt the movie.

TLC is probably my favourite Indy movie too. The interesting thing is, TLC is quite average up until the point Indy goes to Brunwald castle. As soon as Sean Connery is introduced, the movie seems to spring into life? and moves from first gear straight into fifth gear. It?s like the movie is just ticking over, waiting for Connery to step into shot? :)

Benraianajones

Darth Vile said:
TLC is probably my favourite Indy movie too. The interesting thing is, TLC is quite average up until the point Indy goes to Brunwald castle. As soon as Sean Connery is introduced, the movie seems to spring into life… and moves from first gear straight into fifth gear. It’s like the
movie is just ticking over, waiting for Connery to step into shot… :)

My favourite scene towards the start, is when Indy is somewhat dazed, stressed, tired and in his little office. Looking at it now, with Crystal Skull, you kind of get a sense of how he became at the start of Skull with time and life dragging him down Also, that scene and office is like the office/scene in "fate of atlantis" at the start, and I really could imagine how a good movie back then could have been made of it, I wish they did.

Actually another scene I like at the start of TLC, is when Indy meets Donovan. It has this "stiff, boring, afternoon wine party" feel to it, but then the Holy Gail theme seeps in and we learn of the grail mystery and the tablet. The scene seems "Boring" in a "good way" (only way I can put it), but when you look back at the whole movie, its interesting such a "boring afternoon" at Donovan's place, would lead to such an epic journey. I wonder if Donovan's wife ever knew he died of rapid aging...!
Its odd, because, I think "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" appearing behind Willie on TODs intro, helps emphasise the cartoon feeling of the movie. Where as KOTCS has the more, simple-down to Earth dignified looking font, but ends up being a movie in the same cartoon-way as TOD. But, the initial intro with the race, and warehouse segment, seems very TLC feel to it.

Last edited: