General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

monkey

I haven't read the three million posts before, but I want to comment on the latest thoughts and sentiments in this thread.

(No disrespect intended to those who have posted before on this thread........it's just I've been away from the raven for quite some time, and I don't have the time to read through the entire history of this thread).

There seems to be some idea that Harrison Ford is just an actor who is playing the role of Indiana Jones.

The fact that the latest Indiana Jones film portrayed an "Older" Indiana Jones enabled Ford to slip quite easily into the role.

But is this really what we, as Indiana Jones fans want???

I don't.

I would like to see the real Indiana Jones.

The actor who plays him is merely a tool in the toolbox.

The CHARACTER is far more important than the ACTOR who portrays him.

It is time to stop chaining Indiana Jones to Harrison Ford.

To Harrison Ford I would say: Great Job!! Thanks!!

NEXT!!

Montana Smith

monkey said:
There seems to be some idea that Harrison Ford is just an actor who is playing the role of Indiana Jones.

The fact that the latest Indiana Jones film portrayed an "Older" Indiana Jones enabled Ford to slip quite easily into the role.

But is this really what we, as Indiana Jones fans want???

I don't.

I would like to see the real Indiana Jones.

The actor who plays him is merely a tool in the toolbox.

The CHARACTER is far more important than the ACTOR who portrays him.

It is time to stop chaining Indiana Jones to Harrison Ford.

To Harrison Ford I would say: Great Job!! Thanks!!

NEXT!!

Harrison was intrumental in creating the character of Indiana Jones. Before he played the part Indy was just words on paper. It's on record that Harrison brought more to the character than just what was written in the screenplay. Since he was the first actor to play the part, he will always be synonymous with the character. If another actor now takes on the role of the adult Indy, he will in effect be copying Harrison's performance. Just as Ewan McGregor copied Alec Guiness' perfomance to portray the younger Obi-Wan Kenobi. Unlike Bond, who's been played by many actors, the Indy of 1935-1957 has only been Harrison (29 real years and counting).

Darth Vile

Montana Smith said:
Harrison was intrumental in creating the character of Indiana Jones. Before he played the part Indy was just words on paper. It's on record that Harrison brought more to the character than just what was written in the screenplay. Since he was the first actor to play the part, he will always be synonymous with the character. If another actor now takes on the role of the adult Indy, he will in effect be copying Harrison's performance. Just as Ewan McGregor copied Alec Guiness' perfomance to portray the younger Obi-Wan Kenobi. Unlike Bond, who's been played by many actors, the Indy of 1935-1957 has only been Harrison (29 real years and counting).

I'm not sure that's necessarily the case Montana. Ford may very well be the definitive 'Indiana Jones', but if the character and concept is sound enough, another credible movie could be made with another leading actor. Ewan McGregor's portrayal of Obi-Wan is a different thing, as clearly Lucas wanted continuity between the old and new Star Wars movies i.e. it wasn't a re-invention of the character or the Star Wars universe... it was a continuation. For that reason, McGregor had to fashion his portrayal on Alec Guinness.

This is not to say that I'm up for an Indy reboot, as I'd rather new ideas were made into movies... :)

Montana Smith

Darth Vile said:
This is not to say that I'm up for an Indy reboot, as I'd rather new ideas were made into movies... :)

I agree with that.

Indy has a special place in movie history in the sense that it's a rare occurence for one actor to play the same character for so long, and for that character to age in real time with the actor. I just don't think that continuing the series with a younger actor would have that special appeal - it would feel as though they were just making a film on the back of the 'Indiana Jones' name (which is much of the reason I never bothered with Bond movies for so many years - I saw them as merely stunt-filled money-makers into which any actor could be thrown as the lead).

Dewy9

Montana Smith said:
I agree with that.

Indy has a special place in movie history in the sense that it's a rare occurence for one actor to play the same character for so long, and for that character to age in real time with the actor. I just don't think that continuing the series with a younger actor would have that special appeal - it would feel as though they were just making a film on the back of the 'Indiana Jones' name (which is much of the reason I never bothered with Bond movies for so many years - I saw them as merely stunt-filled money-makers into which any actor could be thrown as the lead).

Exactly. I don't think there's any interest from George or Steven to start anew. Indy is Indy. If they feel they just have to have a new action-adventure serial, start with a new character and new actor. I don't want anyone other than Mr. Ford to be Indy. I'd be very happy to see Mutt do his thing if they think Shia can carry a series himself.

That being said, I do want to see an Indy animated series in the near future. The Clone Wars, while very inconsistent and finding its way during the first season, has really turned into a great show. I was watching a repeat last night in which a guy killed himself so he wouldn't be caught by Obi-Wan- heavy stuff for a kid's show! I know Harrison thinks it would water the series down, but if it's done well, it can really add to the series. It's not like the comics or video games have really been tearing it up lately.

kongisking

Dewy9 said:
Exactly. I don't think there's any interest from George or Steven to start anew. Indy is Indy. If they feel they just have to have a new action-adventure serial, start with a new character and new actor. I don't want anyone other than Mr. Ford to be Indy. I'd be very happy to see Mutt do his thing if they think Shia can carry a series himself.

That being said, I do want to see an Indy animated series in the near future. The Clone Wars, while very inconsistent and finding its way during the first season, has really turned into a great show. I was watching a repeat last night in which a guy killed himself so he wouldn't be caught by Obi-Wan- heavy stuff for a kid's show! I know Harrison thinks it would water the series down, but if it's done well, it can really add to the series. It's not like the comics or video games have really been tearing it up lately.

As long as an animated show is done with classic animation and not CGI, I agree totally, Dewy.

Major West

The trouble is the big draw of these films is Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones. Everybody loves him as Indiana Jones. If you were going to swap out the actor you needed to do it a long time ago, people just won't be accepting of it now. Nobody else apart from Clint Eastwood played Dirty Harry after all.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Ford is a certainty. At a bare minimum he needs to interpret the signposts and swing some lucky punches, achievable for most septuagenarians. Shia's getting expensive but he'll be there. The biggest no-brainer is a romantic interest for his character, matching half the cast to the target demographic.

Spielberg and Lucas are among America's 100 wealthiest with $3B each, and still I suspect the big 3 are dreaming of $100M paydays. If it's good it's possible. It's likely if they hint 5's the end of the saga.

Dewy9

Moedred said:
Ford is a certainty. At a bare minimum he needs to interpret the signposts and swing some lucky punches, achievable for most septuagenarians. Shia's getting expensive but he'll be there. The biggest no-brainer is a romantic interest for his character, matching half the cast to the target demographic.

Spielberg and Lucas are among America's 100 wealthiest with $3B each, and still I suspect the big 3 are dreaming of $100M paydays. If it's good it's possible. It's likely if they hint 5's the end of the saga.

Exactly! Part of the fun of these big budget popcorn flicks is the cast. Yeah we know it's Harrison, Shia, Cate Blanchett, etc, but that's a big part of the fun.

Indy's brother

Major West said:
Everybody loves him as Indiana Jones. If you were going to swap out the actor you needed to do it a long time ago, people just won't be accepting of it now. Nobody else apart from Clint Eastwood played Dirty Harry after all.

+1 Major West. That's about the most sound argument that can be made in opposition of recasting Henry Jones, Jr. HF's portrayal of the character will forever be attached to the mental imagery conjured up by the utterance of "Indiana Jones". Since the character had never existed before his perfect portrayal of IJ in the barnstorming ROTLA, it would take HF's death and some years in between a recast for the general public to accept it on the big screen. Not to mention the fact that he has made it public that he wouldn't stand for it. Ford still has enough Indy-ness to see this franchise through to the end, should they decide to carry Indy through to the final end (for those of us that don't see KOTCS as a fitting end).

Dewy9

Indy's brother said:
+1 Major West. That's about the most sound argument that can be made in opposition of recasting Henry Jones, Jr. HF's portrayal of the character will forever be attached to the mental imagery conjured up by the utterance of "Indiana Jones". Since the character had never existed before his perfect portrayal of IJ in the barnstorming ROTLA, it would take HF's death and some years in between a recast for the general public to accept it on the big screen. Not to mention the fact that he has made it public that he wouldn't stand for it. Ford still has enough Indy-ness to see this franchise through to the end, should they decide to carry Indy through to the final end (for those of us that don't see KOTCS as a fitting end).

And that's why the Bond argument falls flat- he started out as a novel character and I think there was even a TV movie before Connery got the role.

HJJNR

IJ for the generations- new and old.

Major West said:
He's also seen how the IJ films popularity have crossed over to the next generation of young people. It's great to see him him embracing it.

Not many movies or characters can carry across the generations quite like Indy movies (Superman perhaps) as my son is 7 and he adores Indy and no I havent force fed it to him, I was watching Raiders 2 years ago and he came through and started watching it and that was it, he was hooked. (obviously a 5 year old wouldnt want to see the scary Ark scene at the end so that was skipped). He has an awesome little collection of Indy memorabilia (even the gas mask bag ha ha). I even had to paint his bedroom into an Indy theme.

He's written his own Indy 5 idea and thinks it should open with young Indy listening to a story his Mother is telling him about a mythical jewel that gives the holder infinite life (yes he loves Harry Potter too lol).

Indiana Jones is timeless and any 5th or 6th episode should keep to that formula and then I think we'll all be happy.

caats

well the best characters move generations.

Indy, Superman, Batman, Star Wars characters. etc.

Indy is and will always be the sh.

and in 15 years i'll happily watch the reboot. HA.

HJJNR

caats said:
well the best characters move generations.

Indy, Superman, Batman, Star Wars characters. etc.

Indy is and will always be the sh.

and in 15 years i'll happily watch the reboot. HA.

Absolutely; I was crazy about all of those (except Batman) when I was a kid but Indy was my number 1. Superman was great for escapism but I was never going to be indestructible with heat vision and flying around the world, reversing time. Indy was (and is) the vulnerable human who you can relate to in a sense... :whip:

Crack that whip

HJJNR said:
Absolutely; I was crazy about all of those (except Batman) when I was a kid but Indy was my number 1. Superman was great for escapism but I was never going to be indestructible with heat vision and flying around the world, reversing time. Indy was (and is) the vulnerable human who you can relate to in a sense... :whip:

Of course, many would probably argue the now-notorious Doom Town sequence invalidated that view. Personally, I think it's still supportable, assuming the Old Indy sequences are still canon, given that they clearly establish he does suffer at least one very serious injury eventually (though they also establish he lives to at least 93, of course, but still)...

Dr.RosenRosen

Harrison talks Indiana Jones to BILD (Biggest German Tabloid)

Hi there,

today Harrison Ford visited BILD Zeitung (www.bild.de) Germanys biggest tabloid. Bild asked HF if he would like to do another Indy.

His answer: Yes, i like to do another Indy - maybe two, if it won´t take 18 years again. He also mentioned: I´m not feeling old - just the audience is getting younger :)

[http://www.bild.de/BILD/unterhaltun...ndiana-jones-besucht-die-bild-konferenz.html]

Regards,
Dr.RR

tocksic