Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular

Attila the Professor

Staff member
curmudgeon said:
Just this past week, Disney's lawyer entered a new application to trademark the term "INDIANA JONES" for Theme park services; live entertainment rendered in a theme park.

So either that rumor was total bunk (which is what I've heard), or they have something else in store.

Any place we can read more about this?

As I said above, the rumor isn't a sure thing, but in any event, Disney has 11 other parks worldwide to which this trademark might apply. (And I don't know trademark law, so I don't know what a new application would even begin to indicate. Can you, or anyone else, fill us in?)

curmudgeon

I found it while searching the US Patent and Trademark Office site last night.

That they're filing a new application means that either Disney/Lucasfilm didn't have the name trademarked in relation to theme park stuff before, or the old trademark had lapsed. (You have to extend/renew them every so many years.)

That they've done so recently, when it can take a few months for approval after filing a new application, certainly makes it seem like they intend to keep using Indy for live shows at the parks.

(And as far I can find, a US trademark is only valid in the US.)

Stoo

micsteam said:
I had read, a month or two back, that Disney's plans to add to the parks (Disney Land and Disney world) with regard to Star Wars and/or what have you had been halted for the most part, especially Disney World. I believe it was a financial release for market and stock holder information. At least for Disney World there doesn't seem to be any real immediate changes or plans, so The Stunt Spectacular seems like it will be ok.... for awhile. I enjoy it although I haven't gone in awhile, I live in South East Florida so I go twice or more a year (me and my girlfriend are passholders) but I will probably go on my next visit in October.
Calling out to Lance Quazar & Inky Skin: Since you guys were there very recently and talked with a couple of the stunt people, was there any indication about the attraction's future (or non-future)?:confused: Anyone else have any news?

My brother saw the show the 1st year it opened but I never have.:( Curious to know how long the chance will last, before this thing eventually becomes extinct.

micsteam

I'm going to WDW the first weekend of October for 4 nights 5 days, I will try and record the whole show on my HD camera. Guys,... Stoo, I'll do the best I can, no promises, and I'll post the movie up on Youtube or I'll burn to a DVD if someone wants to cover dvd price and S&H. How's that ?? :hat:

No Ticket

Attila the Professor said:
Any place we can read more about this?

As I said above, the rumor isn't a sure thing, but in any event, Disney has 11 other parks worldwide to which this trademark might apply. (And I don't know trademark law, so I don't know what a new application would even begin to indicate. Can you, or anyone else, fill us in?)

While I'm not sure I believe it 100%, the stunt show is located right next to Star Tours and it does take up a huge bit of land that could easily be utilized for a lot of other attractions instead of just one stunt show. So I could see it happening eventually even if it's not now.

I better get myself to Disney World soon!

Lance Quazar

Hmm. Could have sworn i heard it from an "official source", but now all I can find are "confirmed rumors" based on "inside sources."

So, I don't have anything definitive.

But based on the age of that one Indy stuntman, I give it three months tops before he's forced into retirement due to osteoporosis.

;)

Le Saboteur

Attila the Professor said:

Before The Mouse wrapped its tentacles around Lucasfilm, Vader & Company were under (at least) three separate trademarks & copyrights in the parks. Lucasfilm held the original trademark obviously; a second general one applied to The Walt Disney Company's rental of the characters; and the third one governed their usage and appearances within the various Disney Parks. I suspect that this refiling was a streamlining (see: consolidation) of the previous trademarks.*

* - There are state level and Federally recognized trademarks and it's always possible that Dr. Jones' likeness requires multiple trademarks at both levels.

It would be wishful thinking to suggest a new attraction could be borne from this regulatory filing.

That said, the stunt show will close. I just don't think it will be next January. 2016 perhaps, but not next year. The new Star Wars Land(s) were supposed to be announced early this year, but all spending at the parks has been frozen due to massive cost overruns in Orlando & Shanghai.

Disney has spent a billion bucks developing and attempting to implement the new whiz bang MyMagic + system*. While the backbone of the system is sound (warehouses use a version with RFID chips for inventory controls), Disney has been unable to adequately scale it. It was supposed to be tested out in Orlando, but at last check they have only managed to it to work with the couple hundred families that stay at the Disneyworld Hotel. Disney is obviously heavily invested in the success of the system, and it's probably going to need another significant capital investment to get it to level Disney wants.

* - If successful it's supposed to make all the Parks essentially ticketless. The turnstiles in the entry plazas would be gone; Disney would track your movements within in the park; and all transactions would eventually become cashless. All of it tied to your Magic Band (and the credit card on file).

Iger was reportedly (and rightfully) apoplectic before ordering all projects halted save for Shanghai where they're still bullish.

Disney has already pumped $5-billion into Shanghai Disneyland, but construction stoppages due to the horrendous air pollution have cost (obviously) extra money for idle crews, but more importantly have pushed the opening into sometime in 2016. Top it off with questionable workmanship from the local contractors, the mountains of red tape the Party has layered on top of the current mountain, and the extra $800-million they're plowing into the new park is quite understandable. There's going to be one heck of a book to come out of all of this.

The financial implications are tremendous. Not only is MyMagic + potentially unreplicable at Anaheim (different demographics), but the cost overrun is going to cost Disney money by not being able to open the first phase of Star Wars Land in conjunction with the new movie.

No Ticket

I recently went to WDW and saw the show again for the first time in 4 years. I gotta say, it?s still terrific but the sound system and what not within the theater really doesn?t sound so good anymore so I hope that they will update it sometime in the near future. Honestly, the show could use a few new scenes which I hope they?ll add if Indy 5 happens.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
2019: Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular at Hollywood Studios Set To Be Updated for Walt Disney World’s 50th Anniversary in 2021

2020: PHOTOS: “Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular!” Theater Reopens as Mobile Order Wait Area at Disney’s Hollywood Studios

2021: DREAMFINDERS: Stuntman Kevin Brassard Talks Running from Boulders at the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular!

BiffMan

2021: DREAMFINDERS: Stuntman Kevin Brassard Talks Running from Boulders at the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular!
Thanks, I had missed that the first time around. Kevin Brassard has been my favorite Indy in the show since the 90s and great to hear him chatting shop!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Some relics and exclusives from the 25th anniversary last year.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
There's a breaking rumor today that the show will be closed by (or perhaps at) the end of 2014.
I'm not familiar with Popwrapped, the site that published the story,
Former Vice President of Walt Disney World Dan Cockerell recently said:
The Indiana Jones theater, that was going to be the heart of the Star Wars land … the Mos Eisley Cantina, that was going to be right across from Star Tours, and we had all kinds of great concepts with that. We’d gotten way down the path on art drawings, we hadn’t gone into architectural drawings or anything.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member

Finn

Staff member
Nothing's embedded, but the link leads to the goods and works in the browser.