Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 04-17-2018, 08:59 PM   #776
roundshort
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
My friends & I used to imitate some of his lines from "The Boys In Company C" during the early '80s but it wasn't until "Full Metal Jacket" did we learn R. Lee Ermey's name.

He was outstanding in that. As the story goes, he was originally hired as an advisor but felt that the actor playing the sergeant wasn't good enough so he sent a videotape to Kubrick auditioning for the role. Supposedly, it's a non-stop 15 minute barrage of verbal abuse from Ermey, barking orders & delivering insult after insult. No pauses, no repeating himself, the whole time being pelted with oranges and tennis balls! I would love to see that tape someday.

R.I.P. R.Lee

While I was in Comm School in the USMC, one of my classmates, LCP Barr's father served as a DI with SSGT Ermey. Barr kinda grew up with him and his family were "friends" (DIs often have complicated lives). Barr had mastered SSGT Ermey cadence to a T! So when our Platoon had to march somewhere he would shout the Cadence. It was pretty entertaining to see EVERY Marine stop and look for SSGT Ermey.

He was a big reason why I enlisted in the Suk. RIP

AND RIP to Barbra Bush. A first class first lady.
roundshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:12 PM   #777
roundshort
IndyFan

Since Joe called me out on the Gunny I can miss saying RIP to Bruno Sammartino. He used to workout wi5 my uncle back in the Burgh.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:57 AM   #778
IndyBuff
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundshort
While I was in Comm School in the USMC, one of my classmates, LCP Barr's father served as a DI with SSGT Ermey. Barr kinda grew up with him and his family were "friends" (DIs often have complicated lives). Barr had mastered SSGT Ermey cadence to a T! So when our Platoon had to march somewhere he would shout the Cadence. It was pretty entertaining to see EVERY Marine stop and look for SSGT Ermey.

He was a big reason why I enlisted in the Suk. RIP

AND RIP to Barbra Bush. A first class first lady.

That she was. I was sad to hear of her passing.
IndyBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:26 PM   #779
Moedred
Administrator

Margot Kidder, 69. If my computer wasn't backed up I'd probably react the same.
Quote:
In 1996, Kidder was involved in a bizarre off-screen incident that made internationals headlines. She had been working on an autobiography when a virus infected her computer and caused her to lose three years worth of writing. After a data-retrieval company failed to restore her lost work, Kidder became manic depressive, convinced that the federal government and her then-husband/novelist Thomas McGuane were plotting to kill her.

In mid-April 1996, her family in Montana reported her missing. Kidder ended up in downtown L.A., dirty and without her purse according to reports, she had thrown it away because she thought it held a bomb and met a homeless man who vowed to look after her. Reports say she survived a rape attempt the next day, in which another homeless man kicked her in the stomach and also knocked caps off of her front teeth. She eventually was found by Glendale police and taken to UCLA Medical Center.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:49 AM   #780
roundshort
IndyFan

RIP Anthony Bourdain. I was a few years into my first Sommeleir job in Colorado when his Kitchen Confidential book was published. Was a fun read. Very sad. Only 61.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:35 AM   #781
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundshort
RIP Anthony Bourdain. I was a few years into my first Sommeleir job in Colorado when his Kitchen Confidential book was published. Was a fun read. Very sad. Only 61.

Did you ever meet him?
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:47 PM   #782
roundshort
IndyFan

No, while I liked a few of his books, I was not a huge fan of his whole image. I have a few thoughts as to what may have triggered this in him, but will keep it private.