What creepy-crawlies should be in Indy 5?

Kai Hagen

How about the virus?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_A_virus_subtype_H2N2#Asian_flu
The category 2 Asian flu pandemic outbreak of influenza A virus originated in China in early 1956, and lasted until 1958. Some authors believe it originated from a mutation in wild ducks combining with a pre-existing human strain.[6] Other authors are less certain.[7] The virus was first identified in Guizhou.[8] It spread to Singapore in February 1957,[9] reached Hong Kong by April, and the US by June. The death toll in the US was about 69,800.[6] Estimates of worldwide deaths caused by this pandemic varies widely depending on source, ranging from one to four million, with WHO settling on "about two million".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_flu_pandemic
The 1968 flu pandemic was a category 2 flu pandemic whose outbreak in 1968 and 1969 killed an estimated one million people worldwide.[1][2][3] It was caused by an H3N2 strain of the influenza A virus, descended from H2N2 through antigenic shift, a genetic process in which genes from multiple subtypes reassorted to form a new virus. Because it originated in Hong Kong, the pandemic is also referred to as Hong Kong flu.

Nerdpants

I am hoping that whatever it is is not CGI. Just does not feel an intimidating when it's not real.

Also hope that it will be bigger than bugs /ants.

Other than those two hopes, I don't really mind.

fedoraboy

I am hoping that whatever it is is not CGI. Just does not feel an intimidating when it's not real.

Also hope that it will be bigger than bugs /ants.

Other than those two hopes, I don't really mind.
I think given animal welfare issues it's very likely to be CGI again this time round. Especially if it is water based as seems possible/likely. I just don't know how they could do that any other way. I imagine they'll throw in a real snake or two as well though!

My instinctual vote is for jellyfish, likely because of that one nightmare-inducing scene from 1998's Sphere, in which a crewmember (played by Queen Latifah!) finds herself on the seafloor in a diving suit surrounded by a swarm of the "harmless" critters. Maybe this is a reason to avoid jellyfish, since that one scene was probably more memorable than anything else in Sphere and might invite (scoffing) comparisons.

Here's a link--I was just a kid when I first saw it, but it was plenty effective in terms of terrifying me. From what I've read, the sequence was created using a combination of real jellyfish footage (from an aquarium, sped up), puppetry, and some CGI. To my eye, the CGI is difficult to spot because of the scene's claustrophobic lighting and composition. I still suppress a shudder.

Pale Horse

Staff member
rebbeach2.jpg

And hearkens to Fate of Atlantis

Nerdpants

I think given animal welfare issues it's very likely to be CGI again this time round. Especially if it is water based as seems possible/likely. I just don't know how they could do that any other way. I imagine they'll throw in a real snake or two as well though!
I dont think there is an animal welfare issue at all.

The snake, bug and rat scene could have all been filmed in 2022 and there would not have been any animal welfare issues.

Why? Because Spielberg didn't hurt the animals. For example, in Last Crusade, when it came time to set fire to the rats, he switched to mechanical rats.

Did the ant scene in Skull invoke the same feeling as in the original 3 films? Nope. Why not? Because it didn't feel real.

Here’s another take: no bugs or other creepy animals whatsoever. To me the creepy crawlies are not indispensable to an Indy movie. Sure they’ve become a staple. And I wouldn’t mind if it made sense story wise. Just do not force it into the movie, just because it is an Indy movie. I’d rather Indy V be a new, good and enjoyable final adventure, than Indy V consisting of old and used elements being restrung together.

Yure

Was just thinking: is it possible that Indy has overcome his fear of snakes or will in Indy 5?

After all, that fear really was a Raiders thing, where it was truly serving the script and, possibly, was never created to become a running element of the character. In Crusade it came back as part of the traits' origins, while in Skull it was simply exploited in a very debatable way.

I believe that, since we know sea snakes will be there, it would be clever to draw in the character arc the end of (t)his fear(s).

After all, isn't that suspicious that were officially spoiled the presence of sea snakes? Could it be a red herring that masks the presence of other creepy crawlies? 😉

Last edited:

Randy_Flagg

Was just thinking: is it possible that Indy has overcome his fear of snakes or will in Indy 5?

After all, that fear really was a Raiders thing, where it was truly serving the script and, possibly, was never created to become a running element of the character. In Crusade it came back as part of the traits' origins, while in Skull it was simply exploited in a very debatable way.

I believe that, since we know sea snakes will be there, it would be clever to draw in the character arc the end of (t)his fear(s).

After all, isn't that suspicious that were officially spoiled the presence of sea snakes? Could it be a red herring that masks the presence of other creepy crawlies? 😉
That would make a nice change. As you said, it had a payoff in Raiders, but since then, it’s been either inconsequential, or just used as a silly joke (KOTCS.).
Maybe the fact that a snake saved his life in KOTCS has given him a newfound appreciation for them 😉.