Hot Toys Indiana Jones Figure

Billy Ray

I always liked Arnie Kim's 2004 sculpt. I know everyone seems to hold Trevor Grove's sculpts as the gold standard and, don't get me wrong, his HF sculpts are awesome, but I think the 1/6 Raiders Indy sculpt is a little chubby looking. Maybe it's just the pro body that makes it looks that way, I don't know. Anyway, Arnie's sculpts seem to be taking a lot of flak, but I think they are pretty darn good

Montana Smith

Billy Ray said:
I always liked Arnie Kim's 2004 sculpt. I know everyone seems to hold Trevor Grove's sculpts as the gold standard and, don't get me wrong, his HF sculpts are awesome, but I think the 1/6 Raiders Indy sculpt is a little chubby looking. Maybe it's just the pro body that makes it looks that way, I don't know. Anyway, Arnie's sculpts seem to be taking a lot of flak, but I think they are pretty darn good

Yes, that first photo of Arnie's 2004 sculpt, with Indy side on, looks perfect. So when people say that Arnie can't get Indy, I don't see that as accurate now. I don't know why his 2011 is so different, unless it's the overly intense look he went for. The 2004 has the determined look that I associate more readily with Harrison Ford.

I.M.J.

I can't fathom anyone thinking that this sculpt is inadequate... seriously it's totally baffling to me to the point that I question the motivations of anyone complaining about it. LOL!

But on the other hand, a discerning collector is a credible collector.

Maybe it would help if they gave the paint job more of a "tan"?

Montana Smith

I.M.J. said:
I can't fathom anyone thinking that this sculpt is inadequate... seriously it's totally baffling to me to the point that I question the motivations of anyone complaining about it. LOL!

I hope you're right, cos I already pre-ordered him!

I.M.J. said:
But on the other hand, a discerning collector is a credible collector.

Maybe it would help if they gave the paint job more of a "tan"?

I gave him a tan early on, in a comparison shot with Harry.

untitled2.jpg

I.M.J.

Montana Smith said:
I gave him a tan early on, in a comparison shot with Harry.

Are those paint apps, or a color manip of the image? Looks better than the zombie pale paint from many of the other pix!

Montana Smith

I.M.J. said:
Are those paint apps, or a color manip of the image? Looks better than the zombie pale paint from many of the other pix!

I just changed the colour in Photoshop to match the picture of Harrison more closely.

I.M.J.

Montana Smith said:
I just changed the colour in Photoshop to match the picture of Harrison more closely.

Well done! Hopefully we'll get paint apps like that on the actual fig!

Billy Ray

Just saw these over at SS Freaks (surprised not to see many comments over there yet, Nam must not be up yet:rolleyes: ). Some of these we've seen already, but I think he look amazing in the new shots, particularly the first pic. If someone can't see HF in there, I don't know what else to say. Nice to get a good look at the accesories too. It's really nice to keep getting so many new pics of this guy, it helps with the wait a little.

Montana Smith

Billy Ray said:
Just saw these over at SS Freaks (surprised not to see many comments over there yet, Nam must not be up yet:rolleyes: ).

He's on a mission all right!

Some over there are getting nasty again, especially about Arnie's sculpting talents. Even about his 2004 sculpt, which I think looked incredible, at least as good as Trevor Grove's.

Billy Ray said:
Some of these we've seen already, but I think he look amazing in the new shots, particularly the first pic. If someone can't see HF in there, I don't know what else to say. Nice to get a good look at the accesories too. It's really nice to keep getting so many new pics of this guy, it helps with the wait a little.

I'm liking the series of headshots in the third picture. Maybe because it doesn't show the hat perched up on his head. I wish the expression was a little less intense, though. Something more towards the 2004 look. The 2011 Indy looks like he has murderous intent in his eyes!

However, I have a feeling he's going to look amazing in hand.

Billy Ray

I have that same feeling. Even though this will be my first Hot Toys figure, I have followed a lot of Sideshow figures and there always seems to be the same pattern:

1. Figure is announced/people are ecstatic

2. Proto pics released/people tear it apart, photoshop their suggested improvements, call those who like it idiot fan-boys, say "vote with your dollars", break out the torches and pitchforks, etc.

3. Initial, out of focus, poorly lit, in-hand pics show up from Asia/see #2 and multiply ten fold.

4. Better in hand pics, people actually start receiving their figures, everybody loves it when it's actually in hand.

tnswman

I think it's very typical of many people here to nit-pick a truly AMAZING colectible like this figure. How immature and silly. This figure is FANTASTIC, We are honestly VERY lucky to be getting it......and it could NOT be done better!

michael

tnswman said:
I think it's very typical of many people here to nit-pick a truly AMAZING colectible like this figure. How immature and silly. This figure is FANTASTIC, We are honestly VERY lucky to be getting it......and it could NOT be done better!
Yeah we are extremely lucky, no doubt. But with the price of this guy, the likeness of Ford needs to be better, that's the most important part. I'd say people have a right to nit-pick.

Montana Smith

michael said:
Yeah we are extremely lucky, no doubt. But with the price of this guy, the likeness of Ford needs to be better, that's the most important part. I'd say people have a right to nit-pick.

Too right. We're not talking cheapo Hasbro prices here!

All things being relative the Hot Toys Indy is already fantastic... but only if you compare him to his nearest rival in price - the Medicom version.

The Medicom retailed here at £100 ($150-ish), which was way over-priced for a skinny figure with a rubber face that looked even less like Harrison Ford.

For another $100 on top the Hot Toys doesn't look like fantastic value yet. It's getting there, but I know they can and should do better.

tnswman said:
This figure is FANTASTIC, We are honestly VERY lucky to be getting it......and it could NOT be done better!

There are plenty of things that can be done better with this figure. The flying hat is just the first problem.

I.M.J.

Montana Smith said:
Too right. We're not talking cheapo Hasbro prices here!

All things being relative the Hot Toys Indy is already fantastic... but only if you compare him to his nearest rival in price - the Medicom version.

The Medicom retailed here at £100 ($150-ish), which was way over-priced for a skinny figure with a rubber face that looked even less like Harrison Ford.

For another $100 on top the Hot Toys doesn't look like fantastic value yet. It's getting there, but I know they can and should do better.

There are plenty of things that can be done better with this figure. The flying hat is just the first problem.

I have to agree with Michael and Montana. The Hot Toys figure is looking to be a terrific piece, both in accessories, dressing and head sculpt. Maybe some people think that levying undo criticism makes them a more discerning, or better fan?

I'll probably replace my Sideshow Indy with the Hot Toys piece!

michael

I.M.J. said:
I have to agree with Michael and Montana. The Hot Toys figure is looking to be a terrific piece, both in accessories, dressing and head sculpt. Maybe some people think that levying undo criticism makes them a more discerning, or better fan?

I'll probably replace my Sideshow Indy with the Hot Toys piece!
I don't like the present head sculpt...

Everything else (except for the NEW Aldens [ughhh] & him being too muscular) is really top notch.

garzo

The Hot Toys version certainly looks like an awesome figure. Does anyone know whether a lower-priced figure will be released, without all the accessories?
The regular HT figures usually go for about EUR 175 ($260) in Germany and this deluxe rolling-eye version will go for EUR 250 here -- that's $370 at the current exchange rate! Ouch.

Billy Ray

Wow, and people are complainig about $250! Kind of puts things in perspective.

BTW, are you the same "garzo" from the Sideshow Freaks?

Billy Ray

No official announcement has been made on any further Hot Toys Indy figures. Speculation seems to be that this may be all we get from Hot Toys.

If that's the case, that's fine with me...otherwise I would be in the poor house. I know a lot of folks are happy with what we have seen so far, but I am really excited about this figure.