Hot Toys Indiana Jones Figure

tnswman

I just received my figure today. What an AMAZING piece of art! I still love the Medicom KOTCS figure best but this figure is a true treasure! The face is better than I expected too.

Montana Smith

tnswman said:
I just received my figure today. What an AMAZING piece of art!

Reading the reviews on SSF the majority of people receiving the figure are very happy with it, though most admit that the sculpt isn't quite there, which is the same for almost all the figures of Harrison Ford I've ever seen.

The one part which has never looked right in any picture, is the jacket seen from the front. It looks like it needs softening up so that it hangs more naturally, as the Kato custom manages to do.

I don't understand how HT got the holster so wrong for a ROTLA Indy, and the fedora which, from photos, doesn't have the iconic pinch that all but reaches the band.

When he eventually arrives I won't be displaying the Idol pedestal, so I'm not intending this to be a specifically Raiders Indy, so it's not a big deal.

tnswman said:
I still love the Medicom KOTCS figure best but this figure is a true treasure! The face is better than I expected too.

The Medi KOTCS was the figure I was hoping to receive, but the Ebay seller sent the ROTLA instead as they didn't have the KOTCS. Luckily it was a very cheap buy-it-now, otherwise I would have returned it for a refund. I'm torn between keeping him and selling him. As Billy wrote, the best parts of that figure are the artifacts.

Ausfan

Arrived

Got him today very very happy !!

The whole pers thing freaks me out a bit.

And also as others have mentioned if you fix the collars it looks even better.

As some have mentioned the presentation of the product is like a piece of art.

tnswman

You need to fins that KOTCS Medicom Indy. I bought 2 so I could rough one up from the warehouse scene ( I have pics of it on here somewhere ). The sculpt on that Indy is incredible. It will always be my favorite. Plus it's from KOTCS and I LOVE KOTCS :)

Billy Ray

Montana Smith said:
I don't understand how HT got the holster so wrong for a ROTLA Indy, and the fedora which, from photos, doesn't have the iconic pinch that all but reaches the band.

You know, I wonder if this has anything to do with Lucasfilm Licensing? It's just kind of weird how so many companies, even across different formats, have got this kind of stuff "wrong". I seem to remember Sideshow saying something about LFL mandating certain things be a certain way, and I know they do this type of stuff for Star Wars too.

Montana Smith

Billy Ray said:
You know, I wonder if this has anything to do with Lucasfilm Licensing? It's just kind of weird how so many companies, even across different formats, have got this kind of stuff "wrong". I seem to remember Sideshow saying something about LFL mandating certain things be a certain way, and I know they do this type of stuff for Star Wars too.

I don't understand what LFL would have to gain from ensuring there was never a 'perfect' rendition. Unless Lucas is charging an ascending image fee per item of costuming - if they make a holster 75% accurate, they only pay 75% of the fee! Then it's down to the toy company to gamble just how accurate they can afford to make their product.

Montana Smith

My Indy is out for delivery! :D

Wasn't expecting him for at least another couple of weeks.

WaiMan said:
A few Indys arrived this morning, I had to double check to see if any of them was the 'bloated' Indy head that was seen on various forums - well rest assured OSB stock are not fakes!!!!

I feel like saying "Yippee ki-yay...", but I'm British so I won't. ;)

Billy Ray

LOL, I'm from Texas and even I don't say "Yippee Ki Yay!"

What I meant about LFL was how they sometimes make demands on companies that some things be a certain way, regardless of how they appear in the specific film. I seem to remember something about the snap on Indy's jacket, that wasn't on the jacket in ROTLA, but was in subsequent films. Anyway, SS included it and said that it was something that LFL wanted included. This could all be rumor and/or conjecture, and I usually don't pay much mind to little things like that.

I don't know, it's just a theory, but it would explain why the holster is off on both the SS and Hot Toys Indy (but, oddly enough, pretty accurate on the Medicom). It's more like his holster in the rest of the films. I just find it hard to believe that either SS or HT would somehow just overlook this, especially with the level of detail on everything else.

Not that it really bothers me all that much, I'm happy with how it turned out, 100% screen accurate to ROTLA or not.

Montana Smith

Billy Ray said:
LOL, I'm from Texas and even I don't say "Yippee Ki Yay!"

Must be just a Bruce Willis-ism, then! :D

Billy Ray said:
What I meant about LFL was how they sometimes make demands on companies that some things be a certain way, regardless of how they appear in the specific film. I seem to remember something about the snap on Indy's jacket, that wasn't on the jacket in ROTLA, but was in subsequent films. Anyway, SS included it and said that it was something that LFL wanted included. This could all be rumor and/or conjecture, and I usually don't pay much mind to little things like that.

I don't know, it's just a theory, but it would explain why the holster is off on both the SS and Hot Toys Indy (but, oddly enough, pretty accurate on the Medicom). It's more like his holster in the rest of the films. I just find it hard to believe that either SS or HT would somehow just overlook this, especially with the level of detail on everything else.

It would be an odd request on behalf of LFL, but would also explain the errors, like you say.

Billy Ray said:
Not that it really bothers me all that much, I'm happy with how it turned out, 100% screen accurate to ROTLA or not.

I'm getting pretty excited about getting this tomorrow. Moreso than I was about Milla/Alice.

This was the picture Wai Man posted on his OneSixthBruce Facebook:

383151_10150376646809585_329989274584_8387769_849273895_n.jpg

Wai Man said:
A few Indys arrived this morning, I had to double check to see if any of them was the 'bloated' Indy head that was seen on various forums - well rest assured OSB stock are not fakes!!!!

boots013

BBTS just shipped mine today! Very much looking forward to this.

Hopefully, I'll have some pics up sometime next week...

tnswman

Billy Ray said:
I now he doesn't really frequent the Raven much any more, but I'd really be interested to hear what tnswman has to say about this figure. I know he is partial to the Medicom and Toys McToy figures and wasn't too impressed with Sideshow's.

You know, it's weird how all the initial complaints about this figure, from when the proto pics first hit, have all but melted away. Everyone was !@#$%ing about the shoes, the neck, the jacket, the muscle body...now it just seems like the head and the PERS. It's also funny how a lot of folks seem to be warming up to it, if not doing a 180 all together.

LOL! Billy, I was just going through the thread and saw this. Man you know me well. I would hope that everyone agrees with the idea that the Sideshow Indy is "lacking" especially after getting the HT Indy.

Montana Smith

Billy Ray said:
Can't wait to hear what you think of him in person!

He arrived about two hours ago. There was a nervous ten minutes trying to get into OneSixthBruce's bombproof packaging, before working my way through Hot Toys' layers to the main course, and...

Wow!

This is the sculpt that cannot be photographed! In-hand it's so much better than even the best photos I've seen. He's standing in the cabinet and I'm looking at him, and Harrison is staring back at me!

There's no guyliner at all. The collars on the shirt and jacket were already laying flat in the box, so no issues there. The Aldens, clothing and respirator bag are all really well finished.

I can only see two negatives: the holster, while not Raiders accurate, also isn't designed to hang with the muzzle end pointing towards Indy's inner leg, in that lazy way he wears it. As per the correct Sam Browne style of belt loop on the reverse of the holster, it will only hang vertically or tilted backwards.

And the other negative is the pair of ungloved fists. The thumbs are attached with very noticeable seams. As these were probably designed for the Staff of Ra, it's not a problem. I've left everything else in the box, including the Arab disguise and the pedestal (which truth be told looked quite cheap and plasticky).

My pictures were taken with the flash on, and aren't very good, apart from making the Sideshow look like a cheap toy by comparison!

100_0625.jpg

100_0613.jpg

100_0614.jpg

100_0616.jpg

100_0621.jpg

There are only two negatives

Montana Smith

Moved him up higher to get a different angle:

100_0635.jpg

"You look kinda familiar. What are you, like my dad?"

100_0633.jpg

"Who's the new guy in town?"

100_0630.jpg

"Bugger off, kid, I'm busy."

100_0634.jpg

"Hey there, lady. Fancy a trip to Peru. It'll be dirty and sweaty. Still interested?"

100_0631.jpg

"Clowns, I hate those guys."

100_0629.jpg

Last edited:

Billy Ray

Great pics Montana, and glad to hear you like him! You're quite right, it's really hard to capture how awesome he is in photos.

You know, it's funny,people are still complaining about the "guyliner" on SSF. Even people that have him in hand are talking about ways to remove it :sleep: It makes me wonder if some of them actually do have it? I mean, look at those pics from Figuremaniacs...even the worst photos don't look like that.

Montana Smith

Billy Ray said:
Great pics Montana, and glad to hear you like him! You're quite right, it's really hard to capture how awesome he is in photos.

It's the strangest phenomenon. Some of the pictures I took hardly look like the figure on the shelf. In reality the jaw and chin are much slimmer, yet the camera is seeing something else!

Billy Ray said:
You know, it's funny,people are still complaining about the "guyliner" on SSF. Even people that have him in hand are talking about ways to remove it :sleep: It makes me wonder if some of them actually do have it? I mean, look at those pics from Figuremaniacs...even the worst photos don't look like that.

The paint on the eyelids of the one I have is a naturalistic pinky red, and the eyes themselves don't look unnaturally deep-set. I can't see that the PERS is hurting the sculpt, as the eyes are so realistic. So you could be right that there are some rogue figures out there.

Something I didn't notice before he arrived, was that the jacket had a tiny zip slider that looks like it could be functional, but very fiddly to operate.

Montana Smith

I wasn't having much luck capturing the figure as it looks in-hand. The flash washes out the detail and kills the sculpt (and coming out blurred didn't help either!):

100_0653.jpg

100_0643.jpg

100_0644.jpg

100_0640.jpg

100_0641.jpg

There's sun streaming through the window, so I tried a few without the flash. And it still doesn't do him justice:

100_0654.jpg

100_0659.jpg

100_0662.jpg

100_0666.jpg

100_0657.jpg

100_0658.jpg

100_0667.jpg