The Remakes Game!

metalinvader

ResidentAlien said:
Metropolis is being remade by Thomas Schuehly and Mario Kassar. :(

Ugh.That really,really is unnecessary.THough,I'm surprised this wasn't remade sooner,Considering all the classic silents that have been remade.Oh,And that stupid anime doesn't count.:p

metalinvader said:
Ugh.That really,really is unnecessary.THough,I'm surprised this wasn't remade sooner,Considering all the classic silents that have been remade.Oh,And that stupid anime doesn't count.:p

Wasn't it actually remade as a anime some time back?

EDIT:

I just noticed the qualifier about the anime. I really shoulda finished reading your post before jumping to a response. How embarrassing.

metalinvader

The anime was "inspired" by the classic film,So the makers claim.The story goes the film maker saw the original poster and decided to remake the movie,HAVING NEVER SAW THE ORIGINAL FILM!

metalinvader said:
The anime was "inspired" by the classic film,So the makers claim.The story goes the film maker saw the original poster and decided to remake the movie,HAVING NEVER SAW THE ORIGINAL FILM!

Ah, I was not aware of that. Interesting. And distressing too. Metropolis should be required viewing for anyone in film in any capacity.

metalinvader

Wasn't the film rereleased in the 80's with an all new synth soundtrack and colorization? I seem to remember reading that.

metalinvader said:
Wasn't the film rereleased in the 80's with an all new synth soundtrack and colorization? I seem to remember reading that.

IMDb says yes.

I've only seen the excellent Kino restoration. I can't imagine any of the other versions are worth your time...

...unless by some miracle, a complete print of the original 1927 version surfaces someday...

metalinvader

I have a few crappy PD copies on some of those budget horror collections.Quality sucks but it doesn't take away from the movie at all.

The Man

Weren't Scorsese and DiCaprio toying with a remake of Drunken Master before embarking to Shutter Island?