Blade Runner

Luckylighter

You mean "Forbidden Planet" was totally snubbed? Sheesh, you just can't please some people. You'd think the Shakespearean undertones would garner it some accolades.

I

Indy's_main_man

my favorite sci fi film has always been Predator...not sure why...

Starchaeologist

Despite the fact that Blade Runner isn't "good Sci-Fi" in terms of realistically depicting the setting (anyone think L.A. will look like that in 15 years?) it does raise excellent points about where we are and where we are going.

It, like "Clockwork Orange," is an example of an adaptation becoming the equal of its inspiration. Blade Runner tells the story differently from the novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, but no less well.

Blade Runner & Clockwork Orange: my favorite Sci-Fi films...for many reasons!

HovitosKing

Blade Runner is also my #1 sci-fi pick of all-time. While I'm somewhat of a Star Wars fan, much bigger Trek fan, and absoltely HUGE general sci-fi fan, Blade Runner left more of its depth to the imagination. Those who've read Philip Dick's stories understand what I mean.

Remember the film was made in 1982, so the 2019 L.A. future was predicted nearly 40 years in advance. Credit our scientists, not the filmmakers, for the lack of futuristic progress!

I think Blade Runner was a fluke. Ridley Scott's other films have not been so good.

In my opinion a film should be entertaining, and Star Wars is more fun than Blade Runner.

I like it when filmmakers use their imagination so we don't have to...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000631/

Last edited:

HovitosKing

Depends on what you like, I guess. Personally, I have an easier time respecting a dark, sci-fi film noir than a lighthearted tale of good and evil.

Having more respect for the former, I have an easier time selecting it as my #1.

Maybe Blade Runner should have been voted the best sci-fi film based on a novel. Star Wars was created by George Lucas and deserves more credit. I think there's more to Star Wars in some ways. For instance, there's more: locations, characters, weapons, spaceships, vehicles, creatures; and then there are lightsabers, Death Stars, the idea of the force, The Empire, and the Rebel Alliance. Makes for a great computer game...

Blade Runner has 6 replicants, Los Angeles asianised, and Harrison Ford...

HovitosKing

But don't foget the most important part: Blade Runner is truly scary in that it presents the idea of a replicant with artificial memory implants and no idea that it's a replicant.

Philip Dick was trying to question the idea of reality, which gives Blade Runner more depth than most comparable films. That notion of reality was one of the few things carried over from the story to the film.

Indy Benson

Blade Runner has five replicants:
-Roy Batty
-Leon
-Zhora
-Pris
-Rachael

Deckard could be a replicant, but if you want to go that route, then you'll have to throw in Mary, the replicant that was fried trying to get into the Tyrell Building early in the movie (off screen, not actually in ther movie)

Yes, Star Wars had lots of things, but so did Blade Runner. The Tyrell Corporation, the Voight-Kampff machine (the machine used to determine if someone is a replicant through an eye scan), spinners (the flying cars), robotic animals, love, anger.

Indy Benson said:
Blade Runner has five replicants:
-Roy Batty
-Leon
-Zhora
-Pris
-Rachael

Yes, Star Wars had lots of things, but so did Blade Runner. The Tyrell Corporation, the Voight-Kampff machine (the machine used to determine if someone is a replicant through an eye scan), spinners (the flying cars), robotic animals, love, anger.

Sorry, I forgot about all that. Actually you're probably right, Blade Runner is the better movie. I've got to see Gattaca someday...

Redwall

Have you guys played the Blade Runner game made by Westwood?

It captures the atmosphere of the film really well and is just in general very cool.

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
Redwall said:
Have you guys played the Blade Runner game made by Westwood?

Yeah I remember that game it was very big when it came out (something like 1998). If I rmember well the game had different endings and the main character had no ressemblence with harrison ford.

vaxer said:
Yeah I remember that game it was very big when it came out (something like 1998). If I rmember well the game had different endings and the main character had no ressemblence with harrison ford.

That's why I didn't buy it. I saw the screenshots and thought it doesn't even look like Harrison Ford. I was quite happy to just watch the movie. Games based on movies are usually so bad; like Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, and Lord of the Rings...

Someone should make a game based on the Miss Marples TV series...

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
This game was never considered bad though, it got really good reviews. If the main character doesn't look like ford it's because they weren't willing to pay the price for it, I think.