Your favorite continuity error in the trilogy?

Indy"Ale" Jones

Theres a lot them out there. Spiders appearing and disappearing on the back of Indy. The hole in his bag disappearing after being burnt through by the stones and how did he fix the strap and put it back on after the struggle with Mola Ram? Whats your favorite?

GlasgowChivas

Indy"Ale" Jones said:
Theres a lot them out there. Spiders appearing and disappearing on the back of Indy. The hole in his bag disappearing after being burnt through by the stones and how did he fix the strap and put it back on after the struggle with Mola Ram? Whats your favorite?

Indy rolling of the tank tread onto the cannon barrel - and then his bag hooking onto it a moment later - which would have only been possible if he had went beyond the end of the barrel and then back again

Michael24

Yeah, I think the tank cannon barrel is my favorite.

And before anyone says it (because some still do), there is no disappearing blood on the Flying Wing's canopy. Marion was in the rear gun turret of the plane when the German Mechanic got chopped and the blood hit that canopy, not the cockpit canopy, which is connected to the turret by an interal crawlway. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've seen that listed as a continuity error on various websites.

Indy"Ale" Jones said:
The hole in his bag disappearing after being burnt through by the stones and how did he fix the strap and put it back on after the struggle with Mola Ram?

Oh, jeez, I never even noticed that before. Great, thanks; now I'll spot it everytime! :D

Michael24

Indy4fan said:
Belloq swallowing the fly...(VHS version)(y)

Also, how did Indy escape the falling tank in Crusade??

I think we're left to assume that he managed to roll off the back just as it went over and probably grabbed onto the edge of the cliff or the vines. We do see him fall and roll right up to the back just before it goes over.

Though I seem to recall that in the novelization, we actually rolls off the back before the edge, but then his feet get entangled in some chains, and the suspense is heightened as he's struggling to get free as he's pulled toward the edge of the cliff. That would have been exciting to see on film.

Stoo

Michael24 said:
I think we're left to assume that he managed to roll off the back just as it went over and probably grabbed onto the edge of the cliff or the vines.
There is a photo from a deleted scene of him hanging onto the vines.
(metalinvader posted it recently but I can't remember which thread.)

Another continuity error is Marion's headpiece necklace that magically comes
off her neck just before Toht & Co. show up.:eek:

SterankoII

Though I seem to recall that in the novelization, we actually rolls off the back before the edge, but then his feet get entangled in some chains, and the suspense is heightened as he's struggling to get free as he's pulled toward the edge of the cliff. That would have been exciting to see on film.

Yeah, but they probably wanted to go for old gag of everybody thinking he's dead when he's standing right next to them!

The_Raiders

Indy4fan said:
Belloq swallowing the fly...(VHS version)(y)

Also, how did Indy escape the falling tank in Crusade??

Acually I think the fly was added in there for a joke. I watched it on DVD and saw the fly and wanted to look more closly, so me and a friend played it in slow motion and if you look close enough the "fly" just popd in outa no where on his chin, then disapears in his mouth ;)

Michael24

Didn't Paul Freeman say in the documentary that Spielberg just edited the shot so that we didn't see the fly leave, making it appear that Belloq was such a bad guy that he'd eat a fly? LOL!!!

isaac_z

Stoo said:
Another continuity error is Marion's headpiece necklace that magically comes
off her neck just before Toht & Co. show up.:eek:

i seem to remember a shot of her putting it down on the table. at the base of a lamp, maybe? i believe that shot comes after she holds both the money and the headpiece in her hands, then chooses the money.

my favorite, or most irksome, continuity error is the ever-changing background in the train scene during the prologue of LC. one moment they're in a forest, next a mountainous valley, then back to the forest, and out to the desert. nevermind that we see this huge expanse of desert in the first few shots, or that most of the background doesn't really seem Utah-esque, but it is just strange to see the backgrounds change not just between different moments in the action, but during dialog!

also, jock's voice in raiders. his first line sounds like he has an australian (though a bit forced) accent, and then the next is all new york. anyone else bugged by that?

Indy on the conveyor belt, getting nearer and further and nearer and further and nearer and further to the rock crusher.:D

metalinvader

Stoo said:
There is a photo from a deleted scene of him hanging onto the vines.
(metalinvader posted it recently but I can't remember which thread.)

Indy in all his vine hanging glory....
http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=12848

Indy"Ale" Jones said:
how did he fix the strap and put it back on after the struggle with Mola Ram?
In the novel,They did return to the palace after the whole rope bridge fiasco.So maybe he fixed it there...

ReggieSnake

Michael24 said:
Didn't Paul Freeman say in the documentary that Spielberg just edited the shot so that we didn't see the fly leave, making it appear that Belloq was such a bad guy that he'd eat a fly? LOL!!!
This has already been posted(Bellog Swallows a Bug), but Paul Freeman commented on this shot in an interview for theindyexperience.com:
http://www.theindyexperience.com/interviews/paul_freeman_interview.php

metalinvader said:
Indy in all his vine hanging glory....
Thanks for the pic! I had never seen that one before.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
isaac_z said:
also, jock's voice in raiders. his first line sounds like he has an australian (though a bit forced) accent, and then the next is all new york. anyone else bugged by that?

Agreed. That's my pick. Though, conceivably, he could have been doing a funny "unflappable British explorer" voice when he said "oh, that's just my pet snake Reggie!"

Last edited:

Michael24

isaac_z said:
i seem to remember a shot of her putting it down on the table. at the base of a lamp, maybe? i believe that shot comes after she holds both the money and the headpiece in her hands, then chooses the money.

Yeah, she removes the headpiece from her shirt, with the chain still around her neck, then there's the moment where the candle flickers. She looks at the headpiece oddly. In the next shot, she looks from the headpiece to the money, then lays the headpiece on the table. The chain is already off from around her neck when she lays it down.

For a long time, I thought this was created by a cut moment. My dad has always sworn that, when he saw it in the theater, she turned the headpiece again and made the candle flicker a second time, so I always thought maybe that was where she removed the chain from around her neck. But I've never seen any reference to such a deleted moment.

Grave Robber

I'd say the tank turret is my favorite. But more so with that, how when hanging there Indy was bombarded with dirt and rock from the tank edging into the cliff. And then when he gets back onto the tank to punch the Nazi, he's completely clean.

sarah navarro

In LC when hes at Brunwald castle he whips outside into the rain outside of one of the rooms,and when they show his whip wrapping around the cable it all the sudden clear and dry outside not a drop of rain in sight.Then when he breaks throught the window into his dads room its raining again.:p

Gear

GlasgowChivas said:
Indy rolling of the tank tread onto the cannon barrel - and then his bag hooking onto it a moment later - which would have only been possible if he had went beyond the end of the barrel and then back again

What I dont understand is how he would have been killed by having the tank drive into the cliff 'wall'. I don't think it would have 'killed' him, maybe just scrape him up a bit, but when you think about it it doesn't seem like a deadly trap.

Can someone explain this to me?