Indy/Mutt's KOTCS backpack

Indy's brother

Found THE REAL DEAL today online after searching for what seemed like an eternity:

3144.jpg

ren_4d8e99c18ec613144-3.jpg

ren_4d8e99aa5d3d03144-2.jpg

3846705818_feb5a81f47.jpg

I called them up and they said they had "like a dozen of them". $29.95 USD. Here's the link. Ordered mine today. :cool:

Goodeknight

Indy's brother said:
I called them up and they said they had "like a dozen of them"

Make that "like a dozen of them MINUS one!"

Ka-CHING!

I just placed my order. THANKS, bro. Been looking for one of these for quite a while. Final cost around $46 with shipping.

Saw the logo of some sort in the pic, and looked around a bit.
3846705818_feb5a81f47.jpg

Here's what I found on YourProps.com. Indy's initials on his bag. Very cool.
norm-49a604740bb58-Indiana+Jones+And+The+Kingdom+Of+The+Crystal+Skull+%282008%29.jpeg

Can't wait to (carefully) put mine on the bag when it comes.

Truly, thanks for posting the link.

man, I want to get one of those bags. Hope theyre still around by next pay period...I already spent too much this month on an Indy jacket and some indy stuff from starwarsshop.com

Goodeknight

featofstrength said:
man, I want to get one of those bags. Hope theyre still around by next pay period...I already spent too much this month on an Indy jacket and some indy stuff from starwarsshop.com

Better move fast. They'll go quickly, and you won't find them at this price anywhere else.

I did come across this on Amazon, an updated version of the same bag.

41XPJN2B3AL._SX385_.jpg
3144.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Canvas-German-Style-Alpine-Rucksack/dp/B000AB9YP6
$29.97 (without shipping)

Still has the drawstring. No leather accents or the waterproof bottom, but I do like the update on the snapping buckles. Much more functional than the buckles on the original. Padded shoulder straps look comfortable, too.

As for the buckles, I'm thinking I might try to hide some magnetic snaps or something under the straps. If you're on the street, though, have to go with the straps and buckles for security.

Indy's brother

goodeknight said:
I did come across this on Amazon, an updated version of the same bag.

41XPJN2B3AL._SX385_.jpg
3144.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Canvas-German-Style-Alpine-Rucksack/dp/B000AB9YP6
$29.97 (without shipping)

Still has the drawstring. No leather accents or the waterproof bottom, but I do like the update on the snapping buckles. Much more functional than the buckles on the original. Padded shoulder straps look comfortable, too.

As for the buckles, I'm thinking I might try to hide some magnetic snaps or something under the straps. If you're on the street, though, have to go with the straps and buckles for security.

Yeah, I have that one, too! It's a nice enough bag for sure, and I'll keep using it. The other one is purely to have as a prop replica, so it won't see a day of use. Of course, if the real one wasn't so hard to get a hold of, I'd have one for show and one for use, definitely. Hell if I had the cash, I'd have bought a couple of them from that link I posted to do just that!

Anyway the modern one is a decent homage to the classic pack, and is easily replaceable. So I don't mind having them both at all.

Goodeknight

Indy's brother said:
Yeah, I have that one, too! It's a nice enough bag for sure, and I'll keep using it. The other one is purely to have as a prop replica, so it won't see a day of use. Of course, if the real one wasn't so hard to get a hold of, I'd have one for show and one for use, definitely. Hell if I had the cash, I'd have bought a couple of them from that link I posted to do just that!

Anyway the modern one is a decent homage to the classic pack, and is easily replaceable. So I don't mind having them both at all.

Awesome! So, you like it and give it a thumbs up? I put it on my Amazon wish list. I plan on using the real one when it comes, but this updated one would probably look more normal, be more functional with the quick release buckles, and more comfortable with the padded straps.

I'll see how much I like using the real thing. If I don't really like it, then I'll go for one of the new ones.

Are you going to put your own initials on the real deal? An HJ? I'm putting my own initials on it. Have to figure out exactly how I'll do it, and then do it very carefully.

Indy's brother

goodeknight said:
Awesome! So, you like it and give it a thumbs up? I put it on my Amazon wish list. I plan on using the real one when it comes, but this updated one would probably look more normal, be more functional with the quick release buckles, and more comfortable with the padded straps.

I'll see how much I like using the real thing. If I don't really like it, then I'll go for one of the new ones.

Are you going to put your own initials on the real deal? An HJ? I'm putting my own initials on it. Have to figure out exactly how I'll do it, and then do it very carefully.

It's decent, probably more comfortable than the real one....I don't have mine yet, but the straps aren't padded on the original. Kind of odd, really. I'm tentatively thinking about the HJ.

Indy's brother

Just got mine. It's pretty rad. :cool:

Now, about that "H.J." tag.....

(oh, and I called the guy, he's only sold 4 now including mine, so there's still time to get one;) )

Goodeknight

Indy's brother said:
Just got mine. It's pretty rad. :cool:
Got excited when I saw your post. I ordered mine the same day you first posted the link. I ran home and it was waiting for me. NICE!! Good shape, too. Just have to replace the cord, put some Pecards on the leather, and blow the stink off of it. It's a little musty. A few markings, but nothing that ruins the look. Also going to put some thought into hidden buckles or snaps.

Indy's brother said:
(oh, and I called the guy, he's only sold 4 now including mine, so there's still time to get one;) )
(Or time for one person to get the last eight of them.)

Indy's brother said:
Now, about that "H.J." tag.....
I'm still going with my initials. Personalize it, with a nod to Indy. Just have to figure out how. Hmmmm... weekend project coming on.

Tundrarider

Nice find on the Rucksacks at super low price! (y)

As for the pads on the shoulder straps, they are removable which explains why the movie version doesn't have them.

The movie version is the same as the pack being sold on your link, though the movie bag straps may have been lengthened. This has only been speculated and not confirmed, but it appears the leather portion of the straps on the movie bag have been replaced with longer ones, so the pack hangs lower.

As for the HJ label, I've scoured the web for clean pictures of the Rucksack and have only found the blurry screen shots and a couple of behind the scenes pics in black and white. I'm sure that somone, someday will release pics of the the screen used bag, perhaps after buying it themselves.

In the meantime, I made my label out of leather, as to my eye, that's how it appears in the film. (Plus it looks cool. :p)

018-6.jpg

The bag in this picture is an unusual one as it doesn't have the pleather bottom. The other Rucksacks I've acquired all have the pleather bottom like the film version.

After handtooling the leather, I painted and distressed the label to match the leather on the bag. (Different bag)

015-4.jpg

Finally, I hand sewed it on, while also applying a leather reinforcement patch behind the label. Makes it look more finished when looking at the inside.

026-2.jpg

Congrats on your Rucksacks!

Michael

Indy's brother

goodeknight said:
LOVE this pic, Tundra.

Looks like you treated the leather to give it a little more brown than olive.

Tag looks great, too.

I think that was his reference pic, goodeknight. Anyway, here's a pic of the one I got:

Screenshot2011-06-09at25235AM.png

It's pretty damn sharp if I do say so myself!

Goodeknight

Indy's brother said:
Anyway, here's a pic of the one I got:

Screenshot2011-06-09at25235AM.png

It's pretty damn sharp if I do say so myself!

Did yours have any markings on it? Mine has a name in red on each of the straps in the front. Faint, but you can see it.

Indy's brother

Yeah, on the upper back, centered, the soldier wrote his name and unit with an inkpen:

Otte
4. Fm Btl 130​

It's not a big deal, though. I did the same thing with my duffle bags when I was in the army, and this guy at least did it very small. Heck, if you're not looking for it, you might not even notice it at first.

Tundrarider

goodeknight said:
LOVE this pic, Tundra.

Looks like you treated the leather to give it a little more brown than olive.

Tag looks great, too.
Thank you, goodeknight! Actually the brownish hue to the top straps is all from the pack naturally aging. The straps are originally painted or dyed green, and then the years (and the mileage:p ) takes it's toll.

At first blush, this may appear to be a simple project, even more so, as it is a very small project. Perhaps if I had a machine stamp to imprint and cut the leather, it would be simple. But this is all done by hand, beginning with a raw piece of leather.

Layout and design: After measuring and drawing the label shape and stitching lines, I imprint the letters. I then hand cut the letters as seen below. (You can see the numerous attempts and changes I went through on the left)

002-5.jpg

Though I had originally placed periods after each initial, I decided to drop them later. Monograms usually don't have periods and I couldn't tell one way or another from the screen shots. It looks cleaner without them. (You can see the periods in the earlier versions above)

Painting and distressing After hand-stamping around the letters and hand-punching the thread holes, it's time for paint. I layer several colors of antique white and light green on the letters first and then layer several more colors and shades of greens, mustard, reds and browns over the entire label. Then, I sand the letters until the shades underneath come through. I sand the edges until it looks like it has been through the same travels as the rest of the pack. Finally, I antique it with Pecards mixed with brown furniture polish.

014-1.jpg

Color matching: You can't get a color like this right out of the bottle. There's a lot of mixing and experimenting to get the color to match the existing shade of the pack leather. The leather on my naturally distressed bag is extremely varied from one part of the pack to another. I match the strap color that is right next to the patch, which helps the label fit into the overall look of the bag better. If this were a new bag, or any different bag, for that matter, the paint mixing would be very different.

008-4.jpg

Sewing it on: I'm sure there are more modern and easier ways to do this, but this is where I am at. After dirtying up the thread with the Brown Pecards, I handstitch the label on using one long thread with a needle on each end.

The entire process is pretty time consuming for such a small thing.

As far as "reference pics" go, there are few available. The pic I posted in my original post (and above) is my actual bag and label. Here's the best reference pic I could come up with.:

vlcsnap-6191.png

Michael:hat: