Password

Old 05-21-2008, 01:08 AM   #26
DocWhiskey
IndyFan

Fantastic review....as always.
DocWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:25 AM   #27
ResidentAlien

Actually I couldn't stand it. Total missed opportunity.

Only time I've ever disliked a Nerd review but... he could have done so much more with it.
ResidentAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:05 AM   #28
Attila the Professor

First I've seen of his, so I enjoyed it, since I've seen a few reviews of similar ilk that are far more angry and thus far more unbearable. This, I could actually justify watching.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:50 AM   #29
metalinvader
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentAlien

Only time I've ever disliked a Nerd review but... he could have done so much more with it.

Well,For a stand alone AVGN review,I thought it was pretty good.But you are so right.TONS of missed opportunity.Tons of it.It's a damn shame that he didn't even touch on the two Genesis games.I was expecting him to at least rant on the LC game for Genesis.
metalinvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:42 AM   #30
Dust McAlan
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalinvader
Well,For a stand alone AVGN review,I thought it was pretty good.But you are so right.TONS of missed opportunity.Tons of it.It's a damn shame that he didn't even touch on the two Genesis games.I was expecting him to at least rant on the LC game for Genesis.
He probably decided to stay away from the Genesis Crusade game due to the YouTube video review of it by "the Fan Mann." Fat Mann is a self-described AVGN rip off, so it was smart to stay away from reviewing that one. Not only that, but AVGN actually ends up making a couple of similar comparisons---both reviewers mention how lame it is that Indiana never looks different throughout the whole game, despite the time period changes.

Here's Fat Mann's original review (NSFW):

And here's his second look at the game, titled "The Revenge" (also NSFW):

AVGN is better.
Dust McAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:18 PM   #31
laudnergomez
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust McAlan
AVGN is better.

Good lord, ain't that the truth.

That Fat Mann is awful.
laudnergomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:48 PM   #32
Dust McAlan
IndyFan

Fan Mann just screams at the game, where the AVGN is actually intelligent about it.
Dust McAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:03 PM   #33
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentAlien

I felt the same way I was looking foeward to this review over everything but he did not even put any clips from the movies like he does with his other reviews or Indy did not come and visit him

This review was really half assed

Look at this review

No its not really that funny but at least he put in a Lao Che clip that was accurate with what he was talking about
Nurhachi1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:05 PM   #34
No Ticket
IndyFan

I thought he did an okay job, but I've seen him do much much much better. The funniest part of the video is where he seems to accidentally break a window or lamp with the whip. lol. That wasn't even scripted but it's hilarious! haha.

And he didn't review FOA because he reviews BAD games. BAD ONES. And he doesn't do PC games either, I can tell from the type of gamer he seems to be that he is all about the consoles. PC and Console gamers are different breeds. But I'm sure he knows about it and has played it before.

... I had an LC game he didn't review, that was more like little mini games or something. There was a motorcycle chase, an inside the castle thing, uhhm... and some other stuff I can't remember. I think there was a puzzle you had to solve before the fire in the tunnels of Venice reaches Indy and Elsa. That game kinda sucked and I was expecting that to be in the review. Oh well.
No Ticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:12 PM   #35
ResidentAlien

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Ticket
I thought he did an okay job, but I've seen him do much much much better. The funniest part of the video is where he seems to accidentally break a window or lamp with the whip. lol. That wasn't even scripted but it's hilarious! haha.

And he didn't review FOA because he reviews BAD games. BAD ONES. And he doesn't do PC games either, I can tell from the type of gamer he seems to be that he is all about the consoles. PC and Console gamers are different breeds. But I'm sure he knows about it and has played it before.

... I had an LC game he didn't review, that was more like little mini games or something. There was a motorcycle chase, an inside the castle thing, uhhm... and some other stuff I can't remember. I think there was a puzzle you had to solve before the fire in the tunnels of Venice reaches Indy and Elsa. That game kinda sucked and I was expecting that to be in the review. Oh well.

That's the Tatio game. He did mention it.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:30 PM   #36
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

Why diddn't he review Young Indiana Jones & the Instruments of Chaos that game was just horrible.
Nurhachi1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:54 PM   #37
Indy Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Ticket

He didn't review it because it's a good game.
Indy Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:37 PM   #38
Twilightpro101
IndyFan

The Quicken666 had a review of that game before YouTube deleted his account.
Twilightpro101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:00 PM   #39
No Ticket
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Jones
He didn't review it because it's a good game.

Not from what I remember.
No Ticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:43 PM   #40
Dyonus
IndyFan

Angry Video Game Nerd - Indiana Jones edition

I've been watching this guy for a while. He's funny, but he knows what he's talking about. He reviews the older games, including the ones that came out when the Indiana Jones movies did (in fact he's got Raiders of the Lost Ark for the Atari). I should warn you all that this is NSFW. AVGN does a lot of cussing, but it adds to his character. Anyway, here it is:

Dyonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:46 PM   #41
DocWhiskey
IndyFan

http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=14339
DocWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:03 PM   #42
Dyonus
IndyFan

How far back was that? 'Cause I honestly only went back like two pages.
Dyonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:39 AM   #43
Cropsy
IndyFan

Anyone seen Angry Video Game Nerds's reviews of the games?

They are hilarious reviews of the crappy games except for SNES which was the only good Indy game around.
Cropsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:43 AM   #44
ResidentAlien

http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=17849
http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=14339
Old 01-09-2010, 07:35 AM   #45
Peru1936
IndyFan

"Angry Video Game Nerd" video on Indiana Jones

James Rolf (aka Angry Video Game Nerd) just released a video you all will likely enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CNQQbotPmE

I think he's rather off the mark - which is not uncommon for him - on some points, but he gives a nice conclusion.
Peru1936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:43 AM   #46
emtiem
IndyFan

I think I've seen this before, and I know he says it himself, but it's really just a load of nit-picks that sort of miss the point of Indy films. Don't look at 'em too hard; just enjoy them for what they are.
emtiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:56 AM   #47
Peru1936
IndyFan

I particularly agree with Rolf about contemporary audiences, generally speaking, lacking imagination and being too critical. I believe that a lot of the criticism for Crystal Skull is rooted in the primary audience (ie, those who grew up with the first three) being older and more critical, lacking the joy of belief suspension (though the monkey scene is still stupid...).
Old 01-09-2010, 08:11 AM   #48
Attila the Professor

I'm actually impressed by this, mostly on the basis of my low expectations (I actually considered posting a dismissive comment without watching the video, which I never do.) Has the Angry Nerd mellowed over time? Because while his profane blowhard schtick grated the minute it started, this video was actually quite even-handed.

And, ah, geez, I still love Mac.

And it's funny, what he says at the end almost seems like a rebuke of his own earlier stuff, or at least betrays a level of self-awareness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rolfe
The Indiana Jones movies are all entitled to some dumb moments. They recapture the spirit of the old adventure films that came out in the Great Depression and World War II. Audiences were looking to escape the real world and forget about their troubles. And that's what movies are all about: entertainment. But today audiences are far more critical, have less imagination, and aren't as willing to suspend their disbelief. And that is the death of cinema.

Oh, and title edited for clarity's sake. There's a lot of Indy on Youtube.

Last edited by Attila the Professor : 01-09-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:56 AM   #49
ResidentAlien

He didn't "just" release this. This came out a year ago. Don't look to Youtube for your James Rolfe needs-- he has contracts with GameTrailers and SpikeTV-- he gets to post videos on his Youtube only after they've been on those other sites for a year.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:16 AM   #50
Peru1936
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
I'm actually impressed by this, mostly on the basis of my low expectations (I actually considered posting a dismissive comment without watching the video, which I never do.) Has the Angry Nerd mellowed over time? Because while his profane blowhard schtick grated the minute it started, this video was actually quite even-handed.

And, ah, geez, I still love Mac.

And it's funny, what he says at the end almost seems like a rebuke of his own earlier stuff, or at least betrays a level of self-awareness.

Oh, and title edited for clarity's sake. There's a lot of Indy on Youtube.

Well, AVGN is not a schtick, it's a character that Rolf created and plays. This video is part of his Cinemassacre line of webisodes.

*The title edit is fine, though I had the intention of making this an "Indy Youtube" thread where all manner of Indy-related online videos could be shared - my mistake for not clarifying in the original post.