TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Video Games
User Name
Password

Old 11-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #26
Icybro
IndyFan

So it's November, and Indy still hasn't shown up yet. The title screen graphic has been truncated: it now reads simply "Indy is coming!"

I did get a new letter from Indy today, saying that his plane went down near Havana, so it was going to take some time to get there. In the meantime, he's sending "an old friend," who's "as trustworthy as she is tough." I don't know who this is meant to refer to . . . It would be awesome if it were Marion, but my guess is it'll be some new Zynga creation with a cartoony name like "Rosie Roosevelt" or "Wanda Tenacious."
Icybro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #27
LawgSkrak
IndyFan

Yeah, Indy needs to show up already.
LawgSkrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:43 AM   #28
Attila the Professor

Well, this is interesting...

From Hal Barwood's website:

Quote:
GAMES @ FINITE ARTS:
Here are some recent games I've worked on...

ADVENTURE WORLD
Online Social Game; Zynga, Inc., 2011
Narrative Design
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:39 PM   #29
IAdventurer01
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
Well, this is interesting...

From Hal Barwood's website:

Wow, uh ... really? So can someone's who's played it tell us if this mindless social game actually has a compelling narrative? If so, I might have to give it a closer look.
IAdventurer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:48 AM   #30
Icybro
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAdventurer01
Wow, uh ... really? So can someone's who's played it tell us if this mindless social game actually has a compelling narrative? If so, I might have to give it a closer look.

I'm still playing (and desperately clinging to the notion that Indy will show up, someday). I wouldn't call the threadbare narrative (perhaps more accurately described as narrative elements) particularly compelling. Every "adventure" has some little story (e.g. "poachers are kidnapping baby monkeys") that serves as a pretext for endless snake-whipping, and sometimes a story will spill over from one adventure to the next ("infiltrate the poachers' hideout!"). There are hints of a larger story when you interact with the other members of your team: aristocrat Trip Hawthorne is trying to impress historian Emily Haberdash, for example, and Professor Allen is trying to restore his reputation after some scandal in China. And then of course, there are Indy's infrequent letters: his plane went down near Havana, and now he's stuck there trying to sort out some vague trouble over a woman.

That's about it. (For now. But never forget: INDY IS COMING!!!!)
Old 11-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #31
Icybro
IndyFan

The latest letter from Indy had me pretty upset. Remember, we've been told for weeks and weeks that he's on his way, and earlier letters served primarily to make excuses for why it was taking so long. Then, Zynga drops this:

The Jock reference gets a big thumbs up, of course, but what's this? Indy's NOT COMING?!! Why am I playing this stupid game again??

But then . . . I noticed the World Map now includes the following tab:

NICE. The tab's locked for now; I think I gotta beat the El Dorado mission to unlock it, which is definitely a few days off for me, at least. Anybody else there already?
Old 11-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #32
GT Jones, Jr.
IndyFan

I received an email by Zynga today about a sale on Adventure Cash, and this was included:

I got bored of this game about three or four weeks ago and haven't played since. I'll check it out tomorrow to see what the whole "Indy is coming" thing is all about.
GT Jones, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:31 PM   #33
Icybro
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Jones, Jr.
I received an email by Zynga today about a sale on Adventure Cash, and this was included:

I got bored of this game about three or four weeks ago and haven't played since. I'll check it out tomorrow to see what the whole "Indy is coming" thing is all about.

There's a trailer here:

Indiana Jones in Adventure World

Looks like Indy actually may be a playable character?
Old 11-28-2011, 07:18 PM   #34
Indy's brother
IndyFan

It could just be my own misinformed fan-crazed opinion, but I think waiting 2 months to roll out Indy was at least a month too long. I've long since lost interest in this. Of course, since this type of gaming doesn't appeal to me anyway, perhaps even with the inclusion of the good Dr. right off the bat I would have moved on from it by now, regardless.
Indy's brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #35
The Drifter
IndyFan

Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy's brother
It could just be my own misinformed fan-crazed opinion, but I think waiting 2 months to roll out Indy was at least a month too long. I've long since lost interest in this. Of course, since this type of gaming doesn't appeal to me anyway, perhaps even with the inclusion of the good Dr. right off the bat I would have moved on from it by now, regardless.

It doesn't appeal to me either.
I played Farmville and Frontierville for awhile, and swiftly grew bored. I've since never touched a game like this again.
The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:13 PM   #36
Lao_Che
IndyFan

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-social-266607

Hollywood Reporter says it's set in 1934 and, more importantly to me, will include Forrestal.
Lao_Che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:18 AM   #37
LawgSkrak
IndyFan

INDY IS HERE!!!! Finally! Love it.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:30 AM   #38
IAdventurer01
IndyFan

Quote:
"And we worked hard with Lucasfilm to get the character right. For example, he is afraid of snakes - just like in the films."

I see they're really drilling down to get the finer points.

I agree that the Forrestal aspect is intriguing anyway. I'm hoping they treat this relatively untreaded territory well, though.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:31 PM   #39
Attila the Professor

Quote:
I agree that the Forrestal aspect is intriguing anyway. I'm hoping they treat this relatively untreaded territory well, though.

Wonder what the old boy will look like...
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:11 PM   #40
IAdventurer01
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
Wonder what the old boy will look like...

I imagine there will be a bit more meat on his bones than the last time we saw him.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:52 PM   #41
Icybro
IndyFan

Quote:
I imagine there will be a bit more meat on his bones than the last time we saw him.

Indeed. Here's Forrestal in the flesh:

I just encountered his camp in the "Mystery of the Moon Door" adventure, and was rewarded with the pic
Old 12-01-2011, 09:15 AM   #42
LawgSkrak
IndyFan

So how do you "Place the Sturdy Statue"? Is it something you do AFTER the whole adventure is over? Because, if so, why did my game give me the option to return home after I was done Part 1?
Old 12-01-2011, 01:22 PM   #43
Luisiana Jones
IndyFan

Loving the game, but do need friends and neighbours. Is there any topic created here for that purpose??

Regards,

LJ
Luisiana Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:43 AM   #44
LawgSkrak
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawgSkrak
So how do you "Place the Sturdy Statue"? Is it something you do AFTER the whole adventure is over? Because, if so, why did my game give me the option to return home after I was done Part 1?

Anybody? Anybody? My time is running out.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:31 AM   #45
RaiderMitch
TR.N Staff Member

Photobucket

anyone out there playing this everyday?
RaiderMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:48 PM   #46
Icybro
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderMitch
anyone out there playing this everyday?

Yeah, I am. I'm really diggin' it now that Indy finally showed up. And not just Indy . . . Adventure World provided the first living appearance of Forrestal, 30 years after his corpse debuted in Raiders . . . and now, as of yesterday, a young(ish) Harold Oxley is in the picture, too. The John Williams' score is a welcome touch, too. It's great that somebody at Zynga is trying to do it right by tying in so many elements from the movies.

Nice concept art, BTW . . . where'd you find it?
Old 12-11-2011, 02:07 AM   #47
LawgSkrak
IndyFan

I'm about ready to quit this. I've played through two different sections (1 and 3) of the Indy missions, and both times it won't let me finish. Can't place the Sturdy Statue or the other item. But for some reason mission 2 let me finish.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #48
Icybro
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawgSkrak
I'm about ready to quit this. I've played through two different sections (1 and 3) of the Indy missions, and both times it won't let me finish. Can't place the Sturdy Statue or the other item. But for some reason mission 2 let me finish.

I can't finish most of the missions, because they require 10 or more friends to click a link on your wall (to give you stinkweed or cans of tuna or whatever), and few if any of my Adventure World friends visit my wall. But who cares? You don't have to finish anything to build up your character or progress through to the next adventure.

Regarding your specific problem, Zynga made an announcement a couple of days ago about a bug being fixed in those Indy missions. Have you tried them recently?
Old 12-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #49
HJTHX1138
IndyFan

It might be a little late to say this, but I have played the game and I really don't care for it that much.

It has it's heart in the right place, you walk around disarm traps and collect things, but it is too close to being farmville and they pretty much force you to pay for stuff via credit card. I can't even finish the first mission, I keep "running out of time" or "Need more energy". Plus, It's way too cartoony, it doesn't fit the movies tone at all.

I actually did run into Indy during the first mission, it's kinda cool seeing a stylizied Indy, but I wish he did more or better yet you could . . . oh, I dunno . . . PLAY AS HIM?

You have to get to level 4 to buy a fedora. BUY a fedora.

I want to see if I can meet Forrestal or Oxley before I completely give up.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm giving up, I can't even start the next mission, I need a bunch of useless items I can't affored and I need to build a farmhouse . . . in the middle of a jungle expedition. I'm sorry Zynga but you completely missed the point AND insulted my intelligence. This game isn't worth our time.

Last edited by HJTHX1138 : 12-30-2011 at 01:40 PM.
HJTHX1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:42 PM   #50
HJTHX1138
IndyFan

It might be a little late to say this, but I have played the game and I really don't care for it that much.

It has it's heart in the right place, you walk around disarm traps and collect things, but it is too close to being farmville and they pretty much force you to pay for stuff via credit card. It's way too cartoony, it doesn't fit the movies tone at all.

I actually did run into Indy during the first mission, it's kinda cool seeing a stylizied Indy, but I wish he did more or better yet you could . . . oh, I dunno . . . PLAY AS HIM?

You have to get to level 4 to buy a fedora. BUY a fedora.

I can't even get to the next level wihtout buying something or building a farmhouse . . . in the middle of a jungle expedition . . . yeah, I'm not playing this any more, Zynga can kiss it. How do you completely miss the point?
HJTHX1138 is offline   Reply With Quote