The Dark Knight Rises

No Ticket

michael said:
I'm not really for it, but I haven't seen much talk of Robin. Only problem, the huge lame stigma surrounding his character. Maybe if they make just one more, they introduce him later in the film so you know that they do eventually team up, and I'm sure they could make it seem very cool/believable.

Nolan has sated, along with Christian Bale, that they do not want to introduce Robin at all.

michael

No Ticket said:
Nolan has sated, along with Christian Bale, that they do not want to introduce Robin at all.
I did read something about that, but I was just bringing it up on how it might work.

No Ticket

ResidentAlien said:
And thank god for that.

Robin is one of the biggest mistakes in all of Batman canon.

I completely agree. Robin is useless and lame. I'm so glad Nolan and gang are smart enough to realize how dumb that is.

It's also dumb to just introduce MORE enemies because it's a sequel. By B&R (yes, sorry I mentioned that one) there was three villains and three super heroes. Alica whatshername playing Bat Girl and showing off her wonderful British accent (she said she was from there but had no accent in the film)... or from Warner's perspective, showing off her Bat Butt.

deckard24

No Ticket said:
Thank God!! Robin sucks!!

If they stick to one new villain and bring back Two Face, or introduce two new villains like they've done so far, that would work! Personally I wouldn't mind the return of Two Face, and then for the second baddie The Riddler. The Riddler could work great if they took a darker approach to him, ala Zodiac. Or a Hans Gruber approach, who pretty much was the Riddler but in a Die Hard film.

Catwoman I'm not 100% sold on, but she could be interesting and fill the void as a possible love interest. As for the Penguin, I'm not really a big fan of him!

Deckard

I still hope to see Hush as the main villain in 3 w/ the Riddler playing Hush against Bruce/Batman like a game.

DocWhiskey

The end of TDK had Batman as a fugitive. So, for the 3rd film, maybe the villain could be Batman himself. It's could really delve into his psyche. It could be about how much the bat could take since his public hates him. You could throw the Riddler in there, maybe he wants Batman to join him because of his intellectual admiration. It could be a more brooding cerebral thriller. Nolan's direct Memento and Insomnia, so I think he could pull of a good twist with Riddler.

The Man

No Robin. Ever. The older, jaded hero hooks up with a wild yet essentially decent young whippersnapper. Crystal Skull, anyone?

Perhaps Bruce Wayne should die in the third...

No Ticket

The Man said:
Perhaps Bruce Wayne should die in the third...

Nolan also said he wouldn't kill of anyone who didn't actually die in the comics. Which is why two-face is not dead. (Duh? Two-Face, a major villain isn't going to die)... it's also why Joker is still alive. And Scarecrow.

I like the idea though of it being more about Batman in the third. Especially since he seemed to have less attention on him this go-round than the first. It would definitely be interesting to see how he deals with being hunted. Although Gordon said "He can take it." I would imagine that since this film is, essentially, the ESB of the new Batman franchise... the third would be redemptive.

In other words, by the end of the next one he will have won back his public perhaps so the new flicks can end on a nice note. I really don't think we need 4+ Batman movies.

Ironically, with time that attitude will change. I think we all can agree we didn't need an Indy 4 but after years and years EVERYONE, including the filmmakers themselves, went from knowing it wasn't the greatest idea to just doing it. We got it and it didn't add much to the franchise. One of those, one more brush strokes could ruin the painting things. NOOOO. I'm not saying it ruined the IJ franchise. But it was perfect as is, with the original trilogy. Obviously another analogy I could make is the original Batman franchise... with how it went from Burton's Batman (89) to Batman & Robin...

That movie was more like going beyond one more brush stroke ruining the painting to dousing the painting with an entire bucket of paint and then stabbing it repeatedly with a knife.

sandiegojones

DocWhiskey said:
The end of TDK had Batman as a fugitive. So, for the 3rd film, maybe the villain could be Batman himself. It's could really delve into his psyche. It could be about how much the bat could take since his public hates him. You could throw the Riddler in there, maybe he wants Batman to join him because of his intellectual admiration. It could be a more brooding cerebral thriller. Nolan's direct Memento and Insomnia, so I think he could pull of a good twist with Riddler.
I like the idea of a twist ending if they use the Riddler. It could be like a punchline to a riddle which would work thematically. I think that a third film would have Batman redeemed and he would have earned the citizens respect again. I can see it ending by having the bat light fixed since Gordon smashed it at the end of TDK. BB had the introduction of the light, in TDK it was smashed, in #3 it'd be put to use again showing batman is here to stay. That would be the simplest way to show he's appreciated by Gotham and to end the trilogy.
No Ticket said:
Nolan also said he wouldn't kill of anyone who didn't actually die in the comics. Which is why two-face is not dead. (Duh? Two-Face, a major villain isn't going to die)...
I assumed he was dead, but I did think I saw him breathing too.

Perhaps they are doing a "Dark Knight Returns" story for #3 by having Bruce pay for Harvey Dent to get plastic surgery and return to normal, but he actually still is a villain and this makes Batman even more angry and he really decides to cross the line to do what is necessary to help Gotham. If they did this, plus had "Riddler" a serial killer sub-plot (like the Zodiac killer) and "Penguin" (they should never call him this in the film, just use his name Oswald Cobblepot) as the mob boss it could be just as epic as TDK. As long as there's no villain team ups like Spidey 3 it could work to use them all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
They could reveal the Joker's base of operations, still operating... and Harley Quinn (Jake Gyllenhaal from Brokeback Mountain) ;) No one had a problem with the Joker in drag...

The Man

Moedred said:
They could reveal the Joker's base of operations, still operating... and Harley Quinn (Jake Gyllenhaal from Brokeback Mountain) ;) No one had a problem with the Joker in drag...

Or Jake could play the vengeful Robin Dawes. Makes sense on soooo many levels...*

*Please, God, no

The Man

$200 million? Pah!

http://www.accesshollywood.com/article/10464/dark-knight-crosses-200m-mark-in-record-time/

'The latest installment in the Batman franchise, starring Heath Ledger and Christian Bale, took in an estimated $20.9 million on Tuesday, bringing the film’s five-day total to an astounding $203.8 million.

“The Dark Knight” passed the $200 million mark in a record-breaking five days, shattering the previous record of eight days which was held in a three-way tie by “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest,” “Spider-Man 2” and “Star Wars: Episode III — Revenge of the Sith.”'

TheMutt92

These are some things I want to see or that could happen in a Batman 3:

-Batman on the run from the cops and Gordon being forced to go after him (possibly having secret meetings along the way?)

-have some theme related to Batman as a fugitive

-out of respect for Heath, don't bring back the Joker. Mention him off in such a way that states he's in a highsecurity prison (and for fans, maybe add something like "he's being treated by a physciatrist, ever heard of a girl named Quinn?")

-if Riddler is the villain, have Batman and police forced to team up and combine their detective skills

-if Penguin is the villain, have him be the mob boss w/ a nickname (like Carmine Falcone and "The Roman")

-if Catwoman is the villain, have her deal more w/ Batman's emotions than actual fighting (recovering from Rachel's death and such)

-other lower villains that would be interesting to see: Black Mask, Deadshot, Hush, Bane, Hugo Strange

-have Batman meet w/ his contacts and possible other criminals for help (like Calendar Man in The Long Halloween)

-a return to a reconstructed Wayne Manor

-another return of the Scarecrow?

Things I Don't Wanna See

-Two-Face coming back from the dead (justs seem illogical)

-somone else playing The Joker

Attila the Professor

Staff member
A rather interesting discussion of what could happen in the third one, particularly on the villain front:

Timothy Burke said:
Like a lot of fanboys, though, I’m really left wondering where Nolan can go with this version of Batman in a third film. You could imagine something like the last two issues of Miller’s Batman: Year One, with Batman pitted largely against the police. But that doesn’t seem enough. Maybe if the mayor or the political establishment was someone who appeared like a noble, charismatic crusader but was actually completely corrupt. That could be the only way to make the Penguin work as a meaningful character in Nolan’s version of the mythos, I suppose. The more conventionally super-powered characters like Poison Ivy or Mr. Freeze don’t really work. The Riddler would have to be a low-rent Joker in the context of Nolan’s version. Catwoman has been done about as well as she can be in Burton’s rendition, I think.

So here’s an idea: Professor Hugo Strange, specifically the version that appeared in Moench and Gulacy’s storyline “Prey” in Legends of the Dark Knight. Strange is a psychologist with hang-ups of his own who nevertheless brilliantly deduces that Batman must be Bruce Wayne and proceeds to try and screw with Bruce Wayne’s head while impersonating Batman himself during various criminal acts. This puts the focus of a third film back on Batman as a character and Bale as an actor: in The Dark Knight, character and actor are almost wholly reactive, reduced to being the straight man in an endlessly nightmarish sick joke.

This comes from here.

sandiegojones

TheMutt92 said:
These are some things I want to see or that could happen in a Batman 3:

-Batman on the run from the cops and Gordon being forced to go after him (possibly having secret meetings along the way?)

-have some theme related to Batman as a fugitive

-out of respect for Heath, don't bring back the Joker. Mention him off in such a way that states he's in a highsecurity prison (and for fans, maybe add something like "he's being treated by a physciatrist, ever heard of a girl named Quinn?")

-if Riddler is the villain, have Batman and police forced to team up and combine their detective skills

-if Penguin is the villain, have him be the mob boss w/ a nickname (like Carmine Falcone and "The Roman")

-if Catwoman is the villain, have her deal more w/ Batman's emotions than actual fighting (recovering from Rachel's death and such)

-other lower villains that would be interesting to see: Black Mask, Deadshot, Hush, Bane, Hugo Strange

-have Batman meet w/ his contacts and possible other criminals for help (like Calendar Man in The Long Halloween)

-a return to a reconstructed Wayne Manor

-another return of the Scarecrow?

Things I Don't Wanna See

-Two-Face coming back from the dead (justs seem illogical)

-somone else playing The Joker
I agree with just about everything here except that I would add that I do not want to see Catwoman either, and I think that Two Face could be back if done a certain way.

No Ticket

I really like the idea of Dead Shot. Bane sounds like he could be interesting in Nolan's world.

I also really like the idea of the Penguin not being so themed around Penguins but it being more of a nickname... although I can't see him working so well even as this. Riddler makes the most sense to me.

Catwoman. Again. I just don't want to see Catwoman.

Anyone else playing The Joker would be a joke.

Goonie

I was hoping for a scene at the end of The Dark Knight where Superman and Wonder Woman show up to recruit Bruce Wayne for the Justice League... ok, maybe not.;)

Niteshade007

I have to admit that I have never been a fan of The Riddler. I know I've mentioned this on the The Dark Knight thread, but it's buried so deep in there it'd be hard to find. I do like the tattoo idea and a more Zodiac type of killer, but then again, I feel kind of like that's a repeat of the Joker. I know it's not exactly the same, but Joker left clues as to who was going to die, like with the card and the name badges. Can the Riddler really be written as a completely different character? One that won't inevitably be compared to Ledger's Joker?

Dent was my favorite part of The Dark Knight. I absolutely loved his character, loved his whole story arch. That being said, I don't want to see him again in the third. I feel that his character was perfect as is. His revenge was done. Short of spending an entire movie tormenting Gordon and his family, I don't see what else he could do. And the plastic surgery idea is interesting, but I don't see it working. Gordon had a funeral for the guy! Imagine him coming back looking exactly the same. How do people explain that? Also, after surgery, can he really be Two-Face? I know it was his nickname, but still, it doesn't work when he doesn't have the two faces. Ultimately I think it'll disappoint.

I may be in the minority, but I think Batman needs a love interest. She is as crucial to the plot as a villain in my opinion, because she's something that makes Batman weaker, more vulnerable (as this filmed proved). Obviously I don't think an introduction of some random girl is a good idea. It might be viewed as cheapening the image of Rachel. She's not just a throwaway character. I mean, Batman wanted to give up the suit for her. Dent went crazy after her death. She's important, but we don't need another good girl. A Vicki Vale to make to her first appearance and suddenly take away all the heartache Bruce has felt. I think this film needs a bad girl. I don't know who, but I do think it is necessary. I think Catwoman works best. She's well known, she and Batman have a lot of sexual tension, and there's the added bonus of secret identities, reiterating (or possibly just repeating) the theme that Joker puts out there in The Dark Knight: "You see to them, you're just a freak...like me!" Selina Kyle and Bruce could share some scenes, and if done like the Animated Series, it could work well. But as Attila quoted, could Catwoman/Selina be done any better than she was done in Batman Returns? Is there anywhere Nolan can take her character? But then I'm not sold on any of the other female options either, like Talia or Poison Ivy.

So it seems in this long winded post that I haven't actually said anything other than ask more questions. Oh well.

The Man

Niteshade007 said:
I may be in the minority, but I think Batman needs a love interest. She is as crucial to the plot as a villain in my opinion, because she's something that makes Batman weaker, more vulnerable (as this filmed proved).

I fully agree. A love-story arc, if handled maturely, could work wonders for Wayne's character.

The brief scene in which Harvey, hospital-bound, with the coin in his hand, is convulsed in pain while thinking about Rachel was potent stuff. He's as much motivated by love as revenge.