Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

Robyn

MaverickKing said:
Lucky us then. Orlando and Keira have not signed on: only Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush have been confirmed.

They should have done that back in Pirates 2 - taken the Indy approach and have each sequel relatively unrelated to the film that came before, as opposed to the Star Wars approach of one over-arching story. Would have been a lot more fun.

It's not really the fact that sequels should be unrelated to the film before it, it's more of the fact that Orlando and Keira's characters should never have been in the first film. I'm looking forward to part 4 without them and having just Johnny return, hopefully they'll put a female character in this one that's likable.

WillKill4Food

Robyn said:
It's not really the fact that sequels should be unrelated to the film before it, it's more of the fact that Orlando and Keira's characters should never have been in the first film. I'm looking forward to part 4 without them and having just Johnny return, hopefully they'll put a female character in this one that's likable.
No, in the first film, they were completely different characters. Will was basically the archetypal hero (think Luke Skywalker), with Jack and Elizabeth his Han and Leia, and Barbossa as a sort of Darth Vader (and even the connection to the hero's father was included).

After that, their characters were changed, significantly, so much so that the Will at the end of At World's End is exactly the kind of person the Will at the beginning of the first one would have despised. But, it is likely that that was the intention of the filmmakers, anyway. He was even more a scoundrel than Jack Sparrow by AWE. Same goes for Miss Swann.

The Drifter

I hated the cultivated love-triangle between Jack, Elizabeth, and Will. It was boring and sloppily done IMO.
I also thought it was retarded how Elizabeth went from a timid governor's daughter to a pirate queen who was an expert with a blade. Bleh!

Robyn

WillKill4Food said:
No, in the first film, they were completely different characters. Will was basically the archetypal hero (think Luke Skywalker), with Jack and Elizabeth his Han and Leia, and Barbossa as a sort of Darth Vader (and even the connection to the hero's father was included).

After that, their characters were changed, significantly, so much so that the Will at the end of At World's End is exactly the kind of person the Will at the beginning of the first one would have despised. But, it is likely that that was the intention of the filmmakers, anyway. He was even more a scoundrel than Jack Sparrow by AWE. Same goes for Miss Swann.

Yeah I do see what you're sayin'

Lonsome_Drifter said:
I hated the cultivated love-triangle between Jack, Elizabeth, and Will. It was boring and sloppily done IMO.
I also thought it was retarded how Elizabeth went from a timid governor's daughter to a pirate queen who was an expert with a blade. Bleh!

I also hated the love triangle, her betrayal of Jack after he came back to save her a$$ made me especially despise her and Will, I think it could have gone a lot better if they'd made her turn pirate and go for Jack instead of Will, and by the looks of the most of the people on youtube, they think the same thing..

Le Saboteur

Lonsome_Drifter said:

That was far more tolerable than watching landlubber, blacksmith apprentice Will Turner turn into a master sailor with...oh, zero experience.

Goonie

WillKill4Food said:

I'd say Barbossa was more like Lando, Davey Jones was Darth Vader, and Lord Cutler Beckett was Emperor Palpatine.

WillKill4Food

Goonie said:
I'd say Barbossa was more like Lando, Davey Jones was Darth Vader, and Lord Cutler Beckett was Emperor Palpatine.
Exactly. If you take the entire trilogy into account, this analogy would fit their characterization. But if you isolate the characters in only the first film, Barbossa is a much darker villain, Will is more virtuous, etc. The characters are completely different at the end of AWE, and while this is to be expected, considering few characters are static, some of the characters changed in ways that would be wholly uncharacteristic.

RedeemedChild

I'm surprised that Disney has given this movie such a title. I like the title On Stranger Tide's but I was hoping for something like Beyond Ocean's Deep or Into The Abyss being that rumor has it that the movie will focus on Atlantis and even Bruckheimer talked about Atlantis and a "Jules Verne" like feel to the movie.

I'm also clinging to the hope that Disney will bring Orlando Bloom on board because I really liked Orlando Bloom in the first three movies although I felt like it was horrible having Will Turner slain and turned into the new "Davy Jones" as a sacrifice so Jack Sparrow could retain his "freedom." I've always been a fan of both Elijah Wood and Orlando Bloom ever since The Lord of The Rings Trilogy.

I simply cannot imagine Pirates of the Caribbean without Orlando Bloom, but alas if Disney does not sign on Mr. Bloom I'd be perfectly happy if they pick up Robert Pattinson as I enjoy him in Twilight very much.

Thanks for that wonderfully fantastic video Goonie!

Insomniac

One thing I was noticing was that they're running out of pirate movie clichés
Sea Monste- Kracken
Maelstrom- Hurricane
Hanging
Treasure trove
Curse X2
Davy Jones
Skeleton Pirates

Hell they ran out of Pirates of the Caribbean ride things to use!

They're gonna need some help on this one!

kongisking

**** YES!!! Hallelujah! I can't wait! Cap'n Jack will be back, b!tches! To Davy Jones' Locker with all the haters, a new Pirates film is coming! It's time to party!!! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

DocWhiskey

kongisking said:
**** YES!!! Hallelujah! I can't wait! Cap'n Jack will be back, b!tches! To Davy Jones' Locker with all the haters, a new Pirates film is coming! It's time to party!!! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

I'll bring the rum.

*Looks for the rum*

Where's the rum?

Why is the rum gone?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Insomniac said:
One thing I was noticing was that they're running out of pirate movie clichés
Sea Monste- Kracken
Maelstrom- Hurricane
Hanging
Treasure trove
Curse X2
Davy Jones
Skeleton Pirates

Hell they ran out of Pirates of the Caribbean ride things to use!

They're gonna need some help on this one!

If they're going with the Fountain of Youth, as some rumors suggest, they can begin drawing on conquistador and missionary and general central American tropes.

deckard24

Insomniac said:
I don't know if it's denial or doubt that I don't believe this tragic headline!

http://ramascreen.com/jack-sparrow-to-be-replaced-by-a-new-character-in-pirates-5/

I find it hard to believe that Disney wil have anything if those dumbasses at disney don't use Depp!
:confused:
I honestly can't see the executives at Disney being that daft! Depp as Sparrow made those films the success that they were, to cut him out of the picture would be a huge financial loss.

Even worse though would be to recast the character! Jack Sparrow will go down as one of the most iconic film heroes in history, right along side Indy, Han Solo, Batman, Superman, James Bond, and Robin Hood, and the biggest reason is Depp's take on the character. No one else could pull that off like him, and anyone who tried would be constantly compared.

Can you imagine if they made Skull, or a different 4th Indy film 3 years after Last Crusade, but recast Ford?

QBComics

Is Disney really that stupid? *sigh*

Depp made the movies, you can't just recast him like that. Hopefully Depp will stay, because I really can't see anyone playing Sparrow, other than Depp.

Le Saboteur

QBComics said:
Is Disney really that stupid? *sigh*

Depp made the movies, you can't just recast him like that. Hopefully Depp will stay, because I really can't see anyone playing Sparrow, other than Depp.

They had a couple of really top-notch impersonators at Disneyland the past couple of summers; tragically, I think they're no more. Maybe they're looking for work?

The rumors I put the most credibility in have Zac Effron taking over lead duties, as either Capt. Sparrow or an entirely new character. My money would be on a new character unless Disney is smart and dry-docks the franchise for an indefinite amount of time. The world does not need a Pirates 5 & 6 after they cocked up "At World's End".

RedeemedChild said:
What about Calypso aka Tia Delma (Naomie Harris)? Is she going to be in the next installments?

We can only hope that she isn't. And that Pintel & Ragetti have been marooned somewhere and forgotten about.

dr.jones1986

Barbossa and Jack are all that is needed...Mr.Gibbs to. I think Will and Elizabeth story has run its course, all we needs is PIRATES and some adventure for them to go on.