Are/were the Batman fans responsible for a lot of the hate?

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
Aw, come now, Smiffy, that's far too vicious, don't you think? A very cheap shot, if you ask me.

Yathink?

Not my words. It was printed in the Gotham Gazette.
monk31.gif

If you ask me, I think the reporter got the wrong end of the stick. Bats was just taking a much needed leak when the Bat Signal lit up. The copy of KOTCS that happened to be in the alley was probably just a fluke.

kongisking said:
Yikes, Stoo. Calling all Batman fans faggots is a very easy way to make a loooooooooot not listen to you, pal.

He's a very naughty boy, too. ;)

Darth Vile

kongisking said:
Yikes, Stoo. Calling all Batman fans faggots is a very easy way to make a loooooooooot not listen to you, pal.

I think Stoo has some modicum of tongue being embedded in cheek to make the point.

replican't said:
what about Joker vs Gopher?

Or Fridge vs Harvey Dent?

are we talking suspension of disbelief? Cuz i have just as hard a time swallowing Two-Face's kill-Maroni-and-escape-flipped-car-unscathed bit immediately followed by his death by backwards fall from, what, 25 feet?

Dr.Jonesy

Marshall2288 said:
Since I'm late to the party remind me again why aren't we allowed to like both?

Who isn't allowed to love both? I do. Those two films made 2008 for me.

What I think the OP (I'm guessing here) was getting at was that not necessarily The Dark Knight was responsible for some of the backlash, but audiences today that gravitate towards TDK are more harsh towards simple escapism. I mean audiences today are more into TDK types of films and the matinee escapism isn't as popular, and the Indy IV backlash happened in July/August and the South Park came in October. Some would speculate that the jaded audiences of today who are drawn to being fanboys were pivotal in the backlash against Indy IV.

Do I think it's likely? Nah, not really. But I do think (not related to Indy, really) that audiences today are ALOT more jaded and not as easy to satisfy and demand less escapism and more realism.

Montana Smith

Dr.Jonesy said:
Who isn't allowed to love both?

Raiders112390, the OP, forbids it.

Raiders112390 said:
...I dislike Nolan Batman fans as a matter of principle. They're like a cancer on the internet...

Raiders112390 said:
You cannot be a Nolan Batman fan, and an Indiana Jones fan.

Raiders112390 said:
The difference between an Indy fanboy and a (Nolan) Batman fanboy is: Indy fanboys have good taste in films.

It's all a matter of opinion.

The worlds of KOTCS and TDK are galaxies apart. Luckily neither of them are likely to cross paths. Raiders Indy, however, does stand a better chance.

Marshall2288

Dr.Jonesy said:

Who isn't allowed to love both? I do. Those two films made 2008 for me.

Nah, not really. But I do think (not related to Indy, really) that audiences today are ALOT more jaded and not as easy to satisfy and demand less escapism and more realism.
I was referring to TheRaiders who said you can't be a Batman and an Indy fan(Monty Quoted it above)

You have a very valid point on the second part though as I tend to want movies to be more realistic the older I get. If I would have grown up with Indy being thrown across the desert in a fridge then it would probably would'nt bother me. Since I saw it as an adult my mind has changed. I thought it was ridiculous. (remeber though, I AM a KOTCS fan. Watched it yesterday actually.) The 1st 3 movies were unrealistic but still on the verge of being realistic. It's hard to explain.

Montana Smith

Marshall2288 said:
The 1st 3 movies were unrealistic but still on the verge of being realistic. It's hard to explain.

The original trilogy obeyed an internal logic born of conceit.

KOTCS ditched the conceit in exchange for shoe-horning in the cliffhanger to beat them all. Since this was set-up as the final Indy Indy movie, it was therefore their last chance to do something really outrageous.

TDK chose to go in the opposite direction, and to rationalize the world of the Batman.

Dr.Jonesy

Marshall2288 said:
I was referring to TheRaiders who said you can't be a Batman and an Indy fan(Monty Quoted it above)

You have a very valid point on the second part though as I tend to want movies to be more realistic the older I get. If I would have grown up with Indy being thrown across the desert in a fridge then it would probably would'nt bother me. Since I saw it as an adult my mind has changed. I thought it was ridiculous. (remeber though, I AM a KOTCS fan. Watched it yesterday actually.) The 1st 3 movies were unrealistic but still on the verge of being realistic. It's hard to explain.

I think I see what you're getting at; the first 3 (well...more ROTLA and LC) had a sense of escapist unrealism that was inside the bubble of believable reality of which the film established itself in. It gave itself parameters to stay within. TOD and KOTCS did this as well, just a bit more 'out there' in its approach.

And who's to say we shouldn't expect our films to not be completely off it's rocker? Even I had some reservations when I saw KOTCS, kind of like when I saw TOD, actually. But I tried not to have it be reservations regarding standards I didn't inflict upon the other films, as that'd be unfair.

If the OP wants to make a more fair point, I don't think he should blanket TDK Fans; maybe just the jaded filmgoer that gravitates towards that because chances are, the jaded filmgoer is quite possibly antagonistically satirical towards anything not so serious like KOTCS. One thing I've noticed is that people nowadays are either extremely amazed and over-the-top impressed with a film or tearing it down angry and cursing the director. There really isn't any middle ground and I think that says alot about our culture, in a way; that we expect things to be terrible and almost root for it to be so.

People today are a tad like spoiled children who've never created anything of their own and when they hear someone is making something, they sit back with their noses up and say; "Oh really? Well, wow me. This should be hilariously bad!"

Dr.Jonesy

Montana Smith said:
TDK chose to go in the opposite direction, and to rationalize the world of the Batman.

Unfortunately at the cost of alot of source material as collateral damage...

Don't get me wrong, I love that series.
:whip:

Montana Smith

Dr.Jonesy said:

Unfortunately at the cost of alot of source material as collateral damage...

Don't get me wrong, I love that series.
:whip:

Batman is always getting reborn and rewritten for each new generation. Nolan's version won't be the final one.

The source material is all over the place now, apart from a few simple facts.

I'm a big fan of the Bat and his many incarnations, but he's a different creature to Indiana Jones. Indy has a stable and defined history. He'll always have been born in 1899, and that's both the charm and the problem with the character. New films demand a new actor, and that's an issue when the present actor is so intertwined with the Indy we grew up with.

Brooke Logan

I don't think being a fan of one and not the other is really connected. I'm not a big Batman fan in general, since I haven't read much of it or seen many of the movies, but I did like The Dark Knight. I like Indiana Jones a lot better than Batman but I wasn't crazy about KOTCS.

mikieson

im 40..never have been a big batman fan at all..but have always loved Indy..dont care about this competition between them on here..kind of strange grown adults arguing over such things honestly..:confused:

Montana Smith

mikieson said:
im 40..never have been a big batman fan at all..but have always loved Indy..dont care about this competition between them on here..kind of strange grown adults arguing over such things honestly..:confused:

Kind of strange grown adults are here at all, talking about a man in a hat doing silly things. :p

Marshall2288

mikieson said:
Some argue, yes. Others discuss. Isn't that what forums are meant for?

Stoo

@Marshall2288:
Of course you are free to enjoy anything you like...but things would be better if Raven members were into "adventure" stuff/films rather than superhero sh*t.:rolleyes:

@Dr. Jonesy:
Your comments are pretty solid and they bring to light a total role-reversal of cinema in general. "Star Wars" in '77 turned popular, Hollywood cinema on its head, from extreme realism to pure fantasy. These days we are seeing a return to realism (even though, "The Dork Night", still sucks!):sick:

@EVERYBODY:
Many homosexuals feel a connection with superheroes because of the 'secret identity' thing. Are you Batman fans homosexuals?:confused: (No malice intended..Just a question, eh?)

Last edited:

mikieson

Marshall2288 said:
Some argue, yes. Others discuss. Isn't that what forums are meant for?
discussion is one thing...arguing about who is better "batman or indy" is just plain funny and in most peoples eyes immature..if you like something good..if not...umm...move on. nothing to discuss.