Bacon

Scientists have created a mathematical formula of how to make the perfect bacon butty.
Experts at Leeds University discovered the secret to the ideal sandwich lay in how crispy and crunchy rashers were.

They found that two or three back bacon rashers should be cooked under a preheated oven grill for seven minutes at about 240C (475F).

The bacon should then be placed between two slices of farmhouse bread, 1cm to 2cm thick.

Four researchers at the Department of Food Science spent more than 1,000 hours testing 700 variations on the traditional bacon sandwich.

The formula is: N = C + {fb (cm) . fb (tc)} + fb (Ts) + fc . ta, where N=force in Newtons required to break the cooked bacon, fb=function of the bacon type, fc=function of the condiment/filling effect, Ts=serving temperature, tc=cooking time, ta=time or duration of application of condiment/filling, cm=cooking method, C=Newtons required to break uncooked bacon.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/6538643.stm

roundshort

ClintonHammond said:
Scientists have created a mathematical formula of how to make the perfect bacon butty.
Experts at Leeds University discovered the secret to the ideal sandwich lay in how crispy and crunchy rashers were.

They found that two or three back bacon rashers should be cooked under a preheated oven grill for seven minutes at about 240C (475F).

The bacon should then be placed between two slices of farmhouse bread, 1cm to 2cm thick.

Four researchers at the Department of Food Science spent more than 1,000 hours testing 700 variations on the traditional bacon sandwich.

The formula is: N = C + {fb (cm) . fb (tc)} + fb (Ts) + fc . ta, where N=force in Newtons required to break the cooked bacon, fb=function of the bacon type, fc=function of the condiment/filling effect, Ts=serving temperature, tc=cooking time, ta=time or duration of application of condiment/filling, cm=cooking method, C=Newtons required to break uncooked bacon.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/6538643.stm

Man I thought I had the best job tasting wine all day, but testing 700 bacon sandwiches! Dang!

Pale Horse

Staff member
roundshort said:
Hey, Pale or Finn or Gilles, can we get a hall pass for this epic thread to stay open, if and when it goes over 20 pages? it seems we all like Bacon

"Thank you cowboy, I'll take it under advisement"

(whoops, worng thread :p)

Course, that being said, if it continues are greasily as it has, who's to say it can't....

Stoo

Ahhhh, yes - Roundshort, I am extremely fond of bacon (and ham and pork
...not very kosher, I know) but bacon is by far the best. God bless the pigs.
I could eat hordes of bacon but it ain't good for ya!:(

I recently moved to Switzerland. The scenery is great, the women are beautiful...
Life is good here in the land of cheese and chocolate but the bacon situation is
rather dire. They do not sell packaged bacon strips in the grocery stores!
You must go to a butcher and have him cut the meat. It is not salted or
smoked in any way so the taste is not the same. Plus, they don't slice it
thin enough. Eating "bacon" over here is a different experience.

Missin' my Maple Leaf Honey Gold.

Last edited:

Stoo

A Bacon Boutique sure would ROCK but I bet the only people buying would be
the ex-pats! You never know, though...I'll have to ask the Swiss people I know
about how popular it is because there are a few artificially-flavoured bacon
snacks available (packaged for the teen market).

Have I found Elodie yet? aaaah, no but the thought has crossed my mind.
Let's see - we're both artists, both like Indy, both in Switzerland, I speak
her language...hmmm...Salut, Elodie! Ca va bien?:D

Finn

Staff member
ElodieJones said:
No bacon in Switzerland cause we eat only good meat :p
Joking I like bacon of course !
Ah yes, no turkey on thanksgiving... only cuckoo bird.

Viper

To Elodie:

Let's see if I get this right, I don't speak French:eek: -
Yes it goes very fine thank you?

Heres one for you-
Ich liebe speck, aber nicht schinken.

My German's a little fuzzy too, though.

Viper

I can't stand ham, I can stand most other meats though. My personal favorite is pastrami. Bacon is up there...(y)

roundshort

Ham, Bacon, Pastrami they are all great, if you want to get technical, right after Bacon, I like me some Iberico!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

roundshort

Bacon update

The GF and I had a good ol' fashion Pig Roast (we hired a professional to do it, trust me that is not something I would want to do myself) and I have to admit, it was awesome! (It was a rather large party) Us and our guests enjoyed it, and we even had a bit left over!

I quote

"Pork chops taste good"

Joe Brody

Proceed in the Footsteps of the Word. . . .

Some people wouldn't know that they've stumbled on the board's litmus test short of it biting them.

Talk about not spelling 'Jehovah' with 'I'. . . . .

roundshort

Pale Horse said:
I thought this was bumped based on Wendy's New Baconator Burger.....

uuuummmmmmmmm (Homer Simpson Voice) Baconator . . . .ggggggrrrrrgggghhh

tell me more . . .

actually I just looked it up Have this burger, large fries and a large coke and you have 1,660calories 78 grams of fat and 86 grams of sugar!

Bring the kids!

Last edited:

roundshort

Ended a 2 week no bacon run this weekend before I went to the ball game, and wow, Bacon was even better than I remembered. I will not hold out on Bacon again!