Which movie had the best traps?

Travis85

Which Indy movie do you think had the best traps? I'm going to say Last Crusade had the best traps, but the spike pit in Temple of Doom is one of my fav's.

Dr. Gonzo

The spike room is my all together favorite scene in Temple of Doom, but best trap movie? I think Raiders, in the teaser, was the best. Darts, spikes (stay out of the light!), Slowly closing stone doors and giant boulder. Great set piece.

oki9Sedo

Raiders for me. The "stay out of the light" trap, the "we have nothing to fear here!" trap, and, of course, the boulder.

Shemp

Can't decide, every Indy film we've seen has the best traps. Can't wait to see the ones planned in Crystal Skull ;) !

Perhilion

hmm....Number 1 would have to be Raiders for me. It's a classic booby-trapped temple. Number 2 would be LC because I really like it when there are clues given that can help you navigate the traps safely. Plus the leap of faith is awesome. Then comes ToD at number 3. I'm hoping KotCS will be up with Raiders.

Papa Jones

The breath of god or whatever its name is. I liked how Indy undoes the trap that easily where dozens of soldiers lost their heads.

metalinvader

Raiders.More specifically the Chachapoyan temple scene.A close second for me would be the three trials in the Grail temple.I love the Path of God scene.

OmegaSeamaster

Raiders is the best trap movie by far, only for the introductory scene. I wish there were some traps in the Well of the Souls too, but I guess they figured the snakes were enough.

Last Crusade is my second favorite when it comes to traps. The "Path of God" always makes me chuckle, since what the heck is Indy holding on to in order to save himself when he crashes through the false floor?

indyflys_solo

Oh, that's tough. The traps in Raiders are so classic, perfect for suspense and that danger-lurking-in-every-pool-of-light feel. In Temple, the Spike room is my favorite scene (What with Shorty shouting in Chinese and "Hurry, Willie!"; Willie screaming that "They're in MY HAIR!"; Indy cringing as the spikes descend and telling Willie to shut up... just one big happy family. ;) *Another reason I could never see Willie & Indy together). And in Crusade, I enjoyed how the traps all had a riddle behind them.
That said, I think my favorite of all of the traps would be "The Path of God-- only in the leap from the lion's head can he prove his worth." The reason I favor this over all the others is that it's the first time a trap or challenge forces Indy to abandon formidable strength and common sense entirely-- it calls for him to take a true leap of faith, one of trust in a Being he may or may not be so familiar with. Indy shows his true spirit by taking this leap, letting go of what seems to make sense for what his heart and soul tells him to be true.
"It's a leap of faith... oh, geez..."
One of my favorite moments in the trilogy is when Indy takes a deep breath and extends his foot to take that first (and perhaps final) step, knowing that what he is doing completely defies reason... and then the moment when he steps onto the bridge, proving that in his quest to save his father, Indiana Jones has "proved his worth."

Last edited:

Dr._Jones

Thats tough. I really like the spike pit in TOD but last crusade was pretty sweet. They might be the same.... i think i just broke a hole in the time-space-continueum...

Iandiana

Last Crusade. I don't know if anyone else did this as a kid (falling to your knees then doing a forward roll to avoid giant saw blades) but in my old age I'm sure my back is shot because of it. Always got me how the Chronicles of St Anselm didn't say "Only the penitent man will pass... plus forward roll!"

If the penitent man is humble why does he kneel AND roll before God? That's just plain odd.

indyflys_solo

Iandiana said:
Last Crusade. I don't know if anyone else did this as a kid (falling to your knees then doing a forward roll to avoid giant saw blades) but in my old age I'm sure my back is shot because of it. Always got me how the Chronicles of St Anselm didn't say "Only the penitent man will pass... plus forward roll!"

If the penitent man is humble why does he kneel AND roll before God? That's just plain odd.

I'm not really a kid anymore, but I must admit that I've done the forward roll thing recently... ;)
Yeah, I've always wondered how "being humble before God" translated into "stop, drop and roll."

Iandiana

indyflys_solo said:
I'm not really a kid anymore, but I must admit that I've done the forward roll thing recently... ;)
Yeah, I've always wondered how "being humble before God" translated into "stop, drop and roll."

If you'll admit it I will... I pretty much do it whenever I watch the film. My left shoulder cracks when I lift it above a certain height. Coincidence?

I can just see myself at the Pearly Gates gaining admission and having all the angels look at me funny as I roll around everywhere.

BadDates

Regarding the kneels-and-rolls thing: finally, when I thought that at last I'd had an original idea for a thread, the good old search function shows me that others have got there first :( Ah well, one day... :)

yodazone

The "Temple of Doom" spike squeezing room is the best one for me. And I loved how Kate Capshaw's butt pushed the wall/lever at the end of the sequence. Best musical score too.

The "Last Crusade" movie "traps" were the most boring of 'em all.

Mothy

Raiders has the classic traps. The darts, massive rolling ball, closing wall, etc. Temple had the single best trap, being the spiked room. Crusade's traps were magical watching them as a child. Skull's traps, well, they were non-existant. The only thing you could say is the sand.