Indy catches egg in ToD deleted scene?

Stoo

Henry W Jones said:
Wow. You think finding a person I have never met a easy job compared to finding a scene from a world known movie. You are right no comparison. Finding a cut scene from one of the largest movie franchises should be simple compared to finding some nobody across the country I have never met.
Yes, in comparison, it's an easy job finding people because 8 months ago, I found my long-lost cousin who had been missing for 27 years...and who was living in a DIFFERENT country! PEOPLE create accounts/profiles on the internet...MISSING EGGS do not. Sorry, Henry W Jones, but your comparison is extremely poor.

TONNES of stuff was filmed for "Temple of Doom" and we've only seen a fraction of it.

To the doubters: PROVIDE PROOF THAT THE EGG SCENE WAS NEVER FILMED!:whip:
Henry W Jones said:
Also the pilots with guns pics proves the pilots had guns nothing else. Where are the egg photos ????
If you took a good look at the evidence, you would know that the pilots-with-guns are part of the egg scene. Why does the 'pilot-pointing-the-gun' photo exist? What is happening in that scene?

(Sarcastically) O.K. Let's film the pilot pulling the gun on Indy but we won't bother filming the reason why he doesn't pull the trigger.:rolleyes: "Everybody break for lunch!"

Use your brain, Henry W Jones...

Henry W Jones

Stoo said:
Yes, in comparison, it's an easy job finding people because 8 months ago, I found my long-lost cousin who had been missing for 27 years...and who was living in a DIFFERENT country! PEOPLE create accounts/profiles on the internet...MISSING EGGS do not. Sorry, Henry W Jones, but your comparison is extremely poor.

TONNES of stuff was filmed for "Temple of Doom" and we've only seen a fraction of it.

If you took a good look at the evidence, you would know that the pilots-with-guns are part of the egg scene. Why does the 'pilot-pointing-the-gun' photo exist? What is happening in that scene?

(Sarcastically) O.K. Let's film the pilot pulling the gun on Indy but we won't bother filming the reason why he doesn't pull the trigger.:rolleyes: "Everybody break for lunch!"

Use your brain, Henry W Jones...

I really don't care one way or another. Its only a movie scene. (Supposedly) And the guns could have been in a scene without a egg. So use your brain. If you find proof great. I'm not calling you a liar. I just think without proof this is a stupid argument. Its just a bunch of people arguing over something without evidence to support it. But whatever.

InexorableTash

Here's one more anecdote to share:

I have vivid memories of a shot from Star Wars (the original) that I remember seeing but it was never on any of the video releases. No, not the Biggs Scene! Rather, in the Cantina, one of the assorted aliens orders a drink, then pours it through a hole in his head! I was disappointed that I had this memory and yet could find no evidence of it on VHS, DVD, or TV airings.

I saw Star Wars when I was 4, at a drive-in theater, so I racked this up, once again, to the imaginations of a child.

Of course, it wasn't until years later that the source of this memory became clear - this scene occurs not in Star Wars but in the Star Wars Holiday Special, during the Cantina scene with Bea Arthur. Apparently I'd seen that as a child, although I didn't remember it at all! (Not even the bit with Boba Fett animated by Nelvana.)

This suggests another possibility - that memories of this scene are the result of blending of other experiences. If it turns out that the scene aired during any ToD promotions (advertisement, "Making Of" specials, etc) or - and this is intriguing to me - in another franchise entirely, memory plasticity would insert this seamlessly into the ToD narrative, and be reinforced upon later learning that the scene could have appeared.

I really wouldn't give the faithful such a hard time about this except that the sibling franchise (Star Wars) has had exactly this debate over the years, and with many more eyeballs on the problem, extraordinary claims like "I saw the Biggs Scene in the theater!" have been discounted.

Good luck with the search for evidence, as always! Finding this would be an amazing cinemarchaeological discovery!

Stoo

Henry W Jones said:
I really don't care one way or another. Its only a movie scene. (Supposedly)
Hey, you must have cared because you commented on the subject.
Henry W Jones said:
And the guns could have been in a scene without a egg. So use your brain.
What other scene would that have been?:confused: Please, inform us!
Henry W Jones said:
If you find proof great. I'm not calling you a liar. I just think without proof this is a stupid argument. Its just a bunch of people arguing over something without evidence to support it. But whatever.
This is a quest for proof. You came out of the box saying that the scene was never filmed...

Lance Quazar

Stoo said:
To the doubters: PROVIDE PROOF THAT THE EGG SCENE WAS NEVER FILMED!

You're better than that. That's now how it works and you know it.

Bigfoot stole my avocados. Prove that he DIDN'T.

Darth Vile

Stoo said:

Stoo - You raise a good point about the pilot pulling the gun. I've never seen actual footage involving that shot, but the photo does lend weight to the argument that there was some additional footage going on (which I've never argued against). However, if it exists, I'd still question why we've never seen a shot of the particular egg scene... anywhere. This suggests to me that it probably wasn't filmed (notice I say 'probably' because I happily accept that it's possible they did film it). :)

inky_skin

Just out of curiousity, do any other elements of the "egg scene" remain in available prints? Stands to reason that if it did exist, it would have been filmed on the same set as other plane interior footage - it wouldn't have been re-dressed. The sketches that have been published show some pretty recognisable elements - bicycle parts etc (aside from the chicken cages which we know appear in the film).

Would they have filmed the whole plane sequence and then simply excised the egg gag (in which case would we still see parts of the Heath-Robinson device used), or would they have removed the contraption from the set and reshot the other footage? Can any artifacts from this gag still be seen? Or should we assume that what was filmed differed significantly from the drawings and therefore looking for traces of the mechanism is a moot point?

Just trying to find another angle...

Darth Vile

inky_skin said:
Just out of curiousity, do any other elements of the "egg scene" remain in available prints? Stands to reason that if it did exist, it would have been filmed on the same set as other plane interior footage - it wouldn't have been re-dressed. The sketches that have been published show some pretty recognisable elements - bicycle parts etc (aside from the chicken cages which we know appear in the film).

Would they have filmed the whole plane sequence and then simply excised the egg gag (in which case would we still see parts of the Heath-Robinson device used), or would they have removed the contraption from the set and reshot the other footage? Can any artifacts from this gag still be seen? Or should we assume that what was filmed differed significantly from the drawings and therefore looking for traces of the mechanism is a moot point?

Just trying to find another angle...

Interesting question... Never noticed... I'll have to take a peek at my TOD DVD.

inky_skin

Well, the sinks are directly behind Indy. And there is an empty hook in the plane fuselage above where he is sleeping - you could hang bicycle wheels from it. No brooms, but there appear to be fan rakes. The stack of "tinned goods" are present. And if you look through the wooden frame that the sinks sit in, there seems to be a curved wood item - scythe handle ?

The sinks are the real killer for me - seems a strange and random item to have in the hold unless they were intended specifically for the gag. Would you dress the set according to the sketch, or base the gag on what's to hand on the set ? Which came first - the chicken or the, um, egg :)

The presence of these items suggest they at least intendedto film it.

With regard to the geographical differences between those who seem to have seen this scene (outside US) and those who haven't (US) - the film was cut late by the MPAA - which doesn't have jurisdiction in other territories (it's the BFI in the UK). Perhaps the same prints went out worldwide and were edited locally by the relevant bodies?

I'd say it was POSSIBLE that they filmed the scene. But at the moment, evidence remains circumstantial only...

Stoo

Darth Vile said:
Stoo - You raise a good point about the pilot pulling the gun. I've never seen actual footage involving that shot, but the photo does lend weight to the argument that there was some additional footage going on (which I've never argued against). However, if it exists, I'd still question why we've never seen a shot of the particular egg scene... anywhere. This suggests to me that it probably wasn't filmed (notice I say 'probably' because I happily accept that it's possible they did film it). :)
You've never seen footage of that shot because there is no publicly available footage of ANY deleted "Doom" scenes (except for Chatter Lal in the lava pit). The lack of a photo doesn't suggest anything. There is no photo of Willie at the rear of the plane while Indy & Shorty are still asleep but I can prove that it was filmed.
inky_skin said:

As I've stated many times before, the egg did NOT travel across the cargo area via a Rube Goldberg contraption like in the production sketch. That was an early idea and it does not appear in the final shooting script.

"Indiana is asleep. Above him a chicken lays an egg -- the egg rolls and totters on the brink of the cage -- and then falls."

Although, the sinks from the sketch can be seen in the movie. They are right next to Indy:)

Darth Vile

Stoo said:
You've never seen footage of that shot because there is no publicly available footage of ANY deleted "Doom" scenes (except for Chatter Lal in the lava pit). The lack of a photo doesn't suggest anything. There is no photo of Willie at the rear of the plane while Indy & Shorty are still asleep but I can prove that it was filmed.

I was being pragmatic by suggesting the photo of the pilot with the gun indeed demonstrates that certain scenes/shots were exorcised from that section of the movie. Also - footage can be obtained from elsewhere e.g. behind the scenes documentaries a la the tarantula scene in TLC (which I think you yourself provided). As much as I may want to believe the scene exists, all that's available to assess at the moment is anecdotal.

Henry W Jones

Stoo said:
Hey, you must have cared because you commented on the subject.
What other scene would that have been?:confused: Please, inform us!
This is a quest for proof. You came out of the box saying that the scene was never filmed...

First off I never said it wasn't filmed. I said you had no proof and that is fact. Second off if you can't read a post and quote it properly from 5 min after you read it makes question what you remember from 25+ years ago. Third just because there is extra plane footage doesn't mean there is or isn't an egg scene. (Because I pull my gun whenever I see a egg) I'm not saying it does not exist. I'm saying without proof it's a ridiculous argument. Forth I really don't care I just found it insane this post has got this much attention for so long without any proof other than 25+ year old memories and a picture of the pilots with guns. (where other scenarios are possible with armed pilots). So before running your mouth, check your facts (USE YOUR BRAIN) since your so smart next time.

Last edited:

Henry W Jones

Henry W Jones said:
Forth I really don't care I just found it insane this post has got this much attention for so long without any proof other than 25+ year old memories and a picture of the pilots with guns. (where other scenarios are possible with armed pilots).

Just a side note this debate started February 2006. Still no proof or changed info.

JayDee

No e-mail response from Sankara so far, for your interest.

Besides: It seems to me that everybody here only blames Stoo for a fake memory of this scene. Is any doubter ignoring the fact that there are a lot more guys out there on the web, saying they HAVE SEEN this scene? And you want to explain this with some references to the complexity of the human mind?

Sharkey

JayDee said:

Besides: It seems to me that everybody here only blames Stoo for a fake memory of this scene. Is any doubter ignoring the fact that there are a lot more guys out there on the web, saying they HAVE SEEN this scene? And you want to explain this with some references to the complexity of the human mind?

Draw what you saw baby.

Show us what your talking about since there is no proof.

No one is blaming anyone...we want to see it, not listen to you talk about seeing it.

There are lots of people on the web saying they've seen all sorts of sh!t.

Draw it like Fozzy suggested.

SHOW US!

Pale Horse

Staff member
JayDee said:
...Is any doubter ignoring the fact that there are a lot more guys out there on the web, saying they HAVE SEEN this scene? ...

Enter the Matt DeMiller correlations again with the Alien argument....

The search for the EGG is the search for the divine in all of us. But if you want facts, Raveners, I've none to give you. At my age, I'm prepared to take a few things on faith...

egg-cept the claim that the scene was filmed. :p

Lance Quazar

JayDee said:

Not ignoring it at all. No reason several people couldn't have the same false memory, particularly since versions of the egg scene appear in other media (books and comics). I'm suggesting that's where the false memory began, not that Stoo just dreamed it up out of the blue.

As other people have pointed out in this thread, plenty of people have gotten false memories of movies they have viewed based on reading the licensed books or comics of those same films and distinctly "remember" scenes that didn't actually happen.

If it happened to Stoo, it could just as easily have happened to every other Egghead out there.

Since the number of people "remembering" the egg scene is still comparatively small, it all makes perfect sense that that's how it happened.

We no longer even have the "foreign print" theory, since Chapter11 is in the United States and claims he saw it.

Henry W Jones

Sharkey said:
No one is blaming anyone...we want to see it, not listen to you talk about seeing it.

There are lots of people on the web saying they've seen all sorts of sh!t.

Agreed. I'm not against seeing it. But .........

Stoo

Egg Hunt Sources

Here's the current list of claimed sources for the elusive egg scene:

-Canadian theatrical releases (Quebec & Ontario)
-American theatrical releases (Massachusetts)
-Australian theatrical releases (???)
-German VHS (red box)
-Australian VHS
-Czech VHS or TV broadcast
-Asian VHS (rumoured only)

To the general public: PLEASE, HELP US FIND THIS!:whip:

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
You forgot the word alleged...

Stoo said:
Here's the current list of ALLEGED KNOWN sources for the elusive egg scene:

-Canadian theatrical screenings (Quebec & Ontario)
-American theatrical screenings (Massachusetts)
-German VHS (red box)
-Australian VHS
-Czech VHS or TV broadcast
-Asian VHS (rumoured only)

To the general public: PLEASE, HELP US FIND THIS!:whip:

:p .