Koepp Script

Normy17

I'm glad he won't be referencing old dialogue, but you can be willing to bet that at some point during the movie, Indy will say, "I've got a bad feeling about this."

Joe Brody

DarthLowBudget said:
Okay, so you never bought Jurassic Park. Ok. And you're complaining because the language in the interview is bland. Did it ever occur to you that some people don't interview well? (which has nothing to do with writing ability).

Understood -- but I'm holding the guy to an admittedly somewhat subjective standard here. Two things: (1) his career requires him know how to communicate effectively. So even if he is a poor interview, I think the guy should be able to manage better descriptors than 'fun' and 'big'. (2) Koepp acknowledges the magnitude of the job and notes that he's been there before (Spiderman). As a result, he knows how much this film means to so many people. So bottom line, #(1) & #(2) says to me that he should know if he can't say anything even marginally of worth, he's better off not saying anything at all. The article is a near total waste of ink.

DarthLowBudget said:
I dunno, the guys oviously no *insert famous screenwriter you really like here* but he can create solid entertaining movies, which in the end is all that the Indy series has every really been.

If you had been around this joint for a longer period of time, you'd know the question of whether the three films are all 'solid entertaining movies' is open to debate. My view is that Raiders is a classic and perfect film. Temple is pretty much an embarassment. And Last Crusade is a more than adequate film that makes some notable contributions to the Indy character. Misnomer is exactly right when he notes: "but what you're guaranteed NEVER to get from Koepp is amazing" -- that's my exact concern. With Koepp at the helm -- my fear is that the best that we can expect in Indy IV is a film on par with Last Crusade's lighter content.

DarthLowBudget said:
And why the dig on the hats in War of the Worlds? That's so inconsequential to the film as a whole that I didn't even notice it until you pointed it out, and I certainly don't care about it. Kinda reaching on that one eh?

Not reaching at all. I was offering the Yankee/Red Sox point to show just how threadbare Koepp's attempts at characterization can be. In the coming days I'm going to kick off a thread in the film section -- 'The Koepp Critique' -- to start assessing his films in detail. I respect the guy's films -- I just don't think he's had success in the past in coming up with those great character details that make a movies truly special. I'm not trying to bash Koepp or Indy IV in advance -- I just want to spend some time over the next year or so trying to anticipate what we can expect in the next installment. I for one would rather spend my time here at the Raven discussing Koepp's past films rather than pondering tired issues like Ford's age or whether Ford will ever play grand-pa Han Solo. . . .

DarthLowBudget

Fair enough. I'd love to participate in a discussion and analysis of Koepp's films.

Btw, what did you think of Spiderman, his other "big expectations from the fans" movie?

Raiders90

What We're Forgetting

I see a lot of people here, and on other forums and message boards, prematurely criticizing the film and expressing dissapointment due to the fact that the script was written by David Koepp. We mustn't judge Koepp by his past work as a Jurassic Park script is quite a different matter than an Indiana Jones script, and by his own admission, he's a big Indy fan. In his own words, ''Raiders'' was the film that inspired him to become a script writer. Secondly, isn't he just making editing the script written by Jeff Nathanson? Third, look at the great cinematic accomplishments of Jeffrey Boam, the writer of ''LC.'' Very few and far between, his best work besides ''LC'' was arguably Lethal Weapon II & III, and those aren't cinematic masterpieces.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I share your sentiments, Joe. I hope Koepp was hired to "take out the offending parts" (as Lucas put it), like an assembly line technician. Since they own these and other scripts, how could they stand to use an inferior line of dialogue? The family dysfunction in War of the Worlds and Lost World is plain torture. I don't think Koepp can create human intimacy or chemistry on the page. He can throw obstacles in its way, but when they're gone, you've got ciphers again.

Darabont can write human interaction, but has his own problems. Majestic is slow, and even Shawshank drags a little in the end. "Oh God, the Green Mile is so long" ...that last line sums it up. Hopefully we'll see a brilliant fusion of the two and they both get credited.

DarthLowBudget

I believe Koepp was brought in to revise a script penned by Jeff Nathanson, so I doubt we'll see any elements of Darabont's script in the mix, but you never know.

torao

Moderator Emeritus
It was all over the news sites, DarthLowBudget. Coming Soon calls superherohype's informant a "very reliable source".

Raiders112390 said:
Third, look at the great cinematic accomplishments of Jeffrey Boam, the writer of ''LC.'' Very few and far between, his best work besides ''LC'' was arguably Lethal Weapon II & III, and those aren't cinematic masterpieces.

And Tom Stoppard did some dialogue polishing.

I consider Brody's plan to take an in depth look at Koepp's work a great idea.

I also remember an article stating that you shouldn't judge a screenwriter's work too much by his past work...

Ste2652

Well, Indy does seem to bring out the best in writers. I don't think any of the Indy films were poorly written. Let's hope that such a well-known, well-loved and well-developed series along with input from Spielberg, Ford and Lucas gave Koepp the spark of genius he needs to pull this off. I think everyone involved with the project has seen what happened after The Phantom Menace and so they've really pushed this one. Whether it'll be another Phantom Menace (as Lucas has said he feared it will be) I don't know...

But I'm going to remain optimistic. It's a movie, and if it doesn't turn out well then I'm glad they've tried and I'll be quite happy watching Raiders, Temple and Last Crusade. And if it turns out to be brilliant, then that's great - hell, the only thing I'm going to lose by going to see it is the price of a ticket. However, regardless of how the movie itself turns out, I know one thing will be fantastic regardless: The score :D

Hammy Skillet

David Koepp Speaks

Indy’s upcoming search for the fabled crystal skulls may bring him fortune and glory. It may bring him a son. If Harvard lecturer Marc Zender has it right, it may bring him “dawning consciousness [and] free brotherly love.”

Forget all that. For “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull” screenwriter David Koepp, there’s just one Indy goal that matters.

“The ones that went before were pretty great,” he said. “You’ve just got to hope to God you don’t screw up.”

Call it “Indiana Jones and the Quest to Not Be Awful.” Of course, considering it’s been nearly twenty years since “The Last Crusade,” just not screwing up won’t be nearly enough to sate fans’ hunger. In other words, may god have mercy on your soul if “Crystal Skulls” is merely passable.

How to make sure it’s so much more? It’s the penitent man who passes in the Indy universe, and for Koepp that means genuflecting before the altar of “Raiders of the Lost Ark,” the film in the series he says “Crystal Skulls” most resembles.

“I hope it’s along the lines of the first one,” he said. “It’s certainly not as dark as the second one and it’s certainly not as humor driven as the third one. Hopefully it will have its own place [but] it’s closest to [’Raiders’].”

Koepp’s statement of tone echoes what George Lucas told MTV News two months ago, when the maestro detailed how, in his mind, “Skulls” consciously harkened back to “Raiders.”

In the end, though, has it met this lofty goal?

“I’ve seen some footage and it’s really thrilling,” Koepp exclaimed. “When you first see Harrison Ford back in Indy garb — it’s just really cool.”

(link)

No Ticket

Sounds pretty good to me... I hope it really is kind of like Raiders. I completely understand what he means. I mean, we get to judge this movie, but he was put in charge of coming up with (or at least contributing to) an entirely new Indy adventure. With expectations being sky high. Can any of us really say that we have what it takes ourselves to do that? Probably not. I sincerely hope he got it right.

Pant wettingly good news that it wont be as humour driven as LC. Bring on the genuine thrills without the banana skins for the slipping on!

Jedinizar

herr gruber said:
Pant wettingly good news that it wont be as humour driven as LC. Bring on the genuine thrills without the banana skins for the slipping on!

but I still hope there is some Humour in Skulls, I liked LC...Well I like all of them but LC with Henry Senior...:hat:

triklops

Jedinizar said:
but I still hope there is some Humour in Skulls, I liked LC...Well I like all of them but LC with Henry Senior...:hat:

Don't be afraid. Indy without humor ain't no Indy... There were funny scenes in all Indys

Professor Jones

triklops said:
Don't be afraid. Indy without humor ain't no Indy... There were funny scenes in all Indys

I'm for the humour too! Besides I think is not true that LC was the most humorous of the trilogy. Raiders had a lot of gags in it and TOD beats them all on that point!

Just the other day I was reading a review for LC, and the author criticized the "heaviness" (literally) of the movie because of its inclination to the mysticism.

Zorg

Well, I've had confidence in Koepp before and still do now. The fact that he's taken ROTLA as his guide is a good one. As much as I love ToD and TLC, after all these years it's only right to return to the roots. But still, it's important that the new movie can stand on its own feet. Koepp knows that. I'm not worried at all.

And of course there'll be humor. There's a lot of humor even in ToD, although it's the darkest one.