Koepp Script

Dr.Sartorius

EXCLUSIVE: Writer-Director David Koepp Talks 'Indiana Jones 4' with Cinematical

Posted Dec 11th 2007 6:32PM by Erik Davis
Filed under: Action, Fandom, DIY/Filmmaking, Remakes and Sequels

Cinematical was lucky enough to visit the set of Ghost Town earlier today, where we spoke exclusively with writer-director David Koepp about this new film, as well as how it was writing what will probably go down as the biggest film of 2008: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. We'll have a full set report on Ghost Town a little down the line as its late summer (tentative) release date approaches, but in the meantime, we wanted to find out a couple things from Koepp (who was the nicest guy, by the way) on Indy 4. Primarily, has he seen any of the finished product yet? Says Koepp, "Well I saw Indy's death scene, which was very moving. Um, I probably shouldn't have said that." We both laugh, since Koepp was obviously joking. He was joking, right? "I saw little bits here and there, and at first I felt a lot of pressure [writing the script] because you don't want to be the one who screws up a beloved franchise. But there's nothing you can do except work extra hard -- so I worked extra hard. You can't approach it except as you would any other movie."

One of the things that's been talked about for some time now is whether Frank Darabont's old Indiana Jones 4 script was used while Koepp was writing the new script. Darabont's been pretty outspoken about the whole thing recently, admitting that he hasn't seen the final product, but has heard that elements of his script were used. We asked Koepp about this -- whether he used Darabont's script as a reference -- and he had this to say: "I looked at everything that everyone had written. It's been in development since the early '90s; anything that was any good, I tried to use -- sometimes it stayed, sometimes it didn't. We're all assistant storytellers; there was a ton of material there already. Part of my job was shaper, and part of my job was coming up with new stuff."

http://www.cinematical.com/2007/12/11/exclusive-writer-director-david-koepp-talks-indiana-jones-4-w/

Dr.Sartorius

Jeb Stuart, Jeffrey Boam, Darabont, and Nathanson better get writing credit if Koepp really used major elements from all of their scripts. Its pretty obvious Saucer Men From Mars was an influcence on Koepp.

Dr.Sartorius

herr gruber said:
According to the credits on indianajones.com , Mr Koepp is the sole ideas man...

That could always change. We'll see a more final version of the credits closer to the release date.

Dr.Sartorius said:
That could always change. We'll see a more final version of the credits closer to the release date.

I hope that is true, but something tells me that Koepp is gonna be 'Solo Creditman From The Planet No-One Else Included'.

scifiwolf

The most I can see anyone getting is a "story by" credit, and that would likely go to Nathanson and Darabont from the long list of people who have tackled Indy 4. However, the story credit will probably end up with Lucas and Koepp.

Avilos

Thats just it. All of these various writers have been likely working with the same basic premise and core ideas. Which all have come from Lucas. Just because there are similarities between the different scripts does not mean Koepp copied from the previous writers. It just mean they were all working with the same overall themes. So determining a percentage of "Who did what?" could be hard.

weyhoops

Hmm...I'm not sure what I think about this.

Do you guys prefer a "greatest hits" with the best bits from each writer, or a "pure" singular vision from just one person?

I understand that they were working with the same basic set of material, but it sounds as if Koepp actually took specific parts from other scripts.

I hope it doesn't feel disjointed.

commontone

I don't think it will be disjointed. I think of it more as an "adapted screenplay" almost; adapted from several previous drafts. It's probably not unlike adapting a novel. You try to get the existing good stuff (that will work on the screen) in, but paring things down and shaping things correctly will require some new insights too.

And, Spielberg is working "from a script," not reproducing its every detail with the utmost accuracy. It's been said he was totally open to new ideas from the actors while filming scenes...he himself probably introduced plenty of new ideas or fleshed them out from the screenplay.

It seems like no matter how the script came into being, the whole movie ends up being a "greatest hits" reel from all involved, I think, at least the way Spielberg is known to work...and then the editing process makes the best out of it all.

Kingsley

Commontone, you are totally right. Script matters, a lot, but in the end its only a guide for Spielberg. A lot of the magic is in the details, and many arent in the script.

The rythm, the mood, the tone... they cant be determined in some written lines. There is where the actors performances, the camera movements, the lighting, the music and the editing take charge to convert some "soulless" words in some paper sheets into a cineamtical experience (y)

Obviously most of you guys have never seen a shooting script.

Sure, early drafts won't have much in-script direction. But the shooting draft does.

Koepp will be just as much to blame as Spielberg and Lucas if this thing blows.

commontone

Actually I've looked at the shooting script of several movies; Chinatown, Brokeback Mountain, 2001 to name a few. I watched the movies with the script in front of me. Polanski rewrote much of the original Chinatown script. The result is fairly detailed, down to individual gestures, but even so there are a million ways to do those details...

commontone said:
Actually I've looked at the shooting script of several movies; Chinatown, Brokeback Mountain, 2001 to name a few. I watched the movies with the script in front of me. Polanski rewrote much of the original Chinatown script. The result is fairly detailed, down to individual gestures, but even so there are a million ways to do those details...

I just read the shooting script for Chinatown last week actually. For a class.

Full of "Angle On's" and "Close-Ups," etc. That's directing on page.

oki9Sedo

ResidentAlien said:
Obviously most of you guys have never seen a shooting script.

Sure, early drafts won't have much in-script direction. But the shooting draft does.

Koepp will be just as much to blame as Spielberg and Lucas if this thing blows.

Absolutely. Its his dialogue after all.

commontone

oki9Sedo said:
Absolutely. Its his dialogue after all.

The whole point is, that dialogue is subject to the changing and tweaking of Spielberg and the actors, during the filming process.

residentalien, I wasn't in film school per se, but I've also taken film studies and media production classes at UM-Twin Cities. I don't really want to argue, but you're trying to point out that I must be a "layperson" or something. Whatever. Now that I've been out of school a few years I realize how little it actually adds to your credibility, in the real world...

commontone said:
The whole point is, that dialogue is subject to the changing and tweaking of Spielberg and the actors, during the filming process.

residentalien, I wasn't in film school per se, but I've also taken film studies and media production classes at UM-Twin Cities. I don't really want to argue, but you're trying to point out that I must be a "layperson" or something. Whatever. Now that I've been out of school a few years I realize how little it actually adds to your credibility, in the real world...

I'm only pointing out that actual shooting scripts are full of direction. They aren't just a blue-print. They're a verbal version of the film.